Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

so basically every restaurant and bar is just gonna go out of business right

couple of place near me are doing banging takeout business, but who knows if it's enough to keep them going long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

"as soon as the quarantine is over, you're evicted!!"

it's gonna just be a bunch of broke people switching apartments, i dont get it

They are mad that they aren't going to get their unearned income and they've spent decades using the cudgel of eviction, so that's literally all they know how to do.

The real fun is that commercial real-estate is going to completely collapse because of it. Businesses aren't just going to move to another apartment, they are going to just stop being businesses. Landlords are literally going to shoot themselves in the head to try and make sure every last cent of rent is paid.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Fool posted:

it would absolutely be worthwhile to stay at home as long as you can, there will be a second wave of infections when the stay at home orders start getting lifted

ideally they'll reopen things gradually. say start with things like dentists and barbers etc then move on to larger and large venues until everything is open again. who knows if we'll actually do it that way though

we're absolutely heading for revolution levels of unemployment. we're either getting wpa-2 or the government is going to collapse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
our lockdown is somewhat working, new cases are lower and lower each day. not like 19,000 in a day like the US 😭😰🥺

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
from now on too, as soon as someone hears the word pandemic like when swine flu was a thing, everything like international flight will fail immediately

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
once they can do 10-minute tests out of the back of a van/humvee i think they're gonna have to go to a group testing thing. Test 32 people at once and if everyone is clean give em all a day pass. if not just bifurcate till you find the affected people and isolate just them for however long. repeat every n days. then at least most of the healthy population can do their stuff and if there's a breakout you can do normal epidemiological stuff like tracing.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

basically leaving everything up to each individual state is going to lead to some profoundly ugly poo poo

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

echinopsis posted:

from now on too, as soon as someone hears the word pandemic like when swine flu was a thing, everything like international flight will fail immediately

Yeah the new normal is going to own lol.

oreilly just said 'lol this is dead forever' and completely closed their conference division

quote:

we can’t plan for or execute on a business that will be forever changed as a result of this crisis
https://www.oreilly.com/conferences/from-laura-baldwin.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Methanar posted:

oreilly just said 'lol this is dead forever' and completely closed their conference division

https://www.oreilly.com/conferences/from-laura-baldwin.html

that seems a little extreme

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

wonder how many people were canned

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rotor posted:

conferences have been getting more expensive and the alternatives have been getting better. like what might happen with wfh, it could be a big boost to a trend that's already happening

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

they’ve been looking for an excuse for a while now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

walked down a street of restaurants near my apartment here in china and 80% of them already have for rent signs in the window

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
oh ok. i guess if you're lookin for an out this is a good one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

it would absolutely be worthwhile to stay at home as long as you can, there will be a second wave of infections when the stay at home orders start getting lifted

I am planning on lockdown through september.

Sagebrush posted:

takeout is fine. I don't need to spend 45 minutes in a potemkin train station to enjoy a burger. Physical restaurants are dead though, yes

Broken Machine posted:

i just remembered this article from a few decades ago, earlier this month, about a weed shop opening in metro boston and how excited the owners were. they got all of two weeks sales in before having to close for covid. apparently the dispensaries are having to cut way back since they shut retail sales. most are looking at dropping about half of their staff or more. what a time to open a business though

Dispensaries and grows are hiring hard in Denver; they are pushing for home delivery to catch up with California, and there is no lack of demand. Our dispensaries were called out as being immediately compliant and friendly with social distancing guidelines because they all have mantraps, armed guards for people that try shady poo poo, and everybody behind the desk wears gloves anyways because have you ever tried pawing at weed nuggets for 8 hours without coming home with tar pit hands

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

seems unlikely, if 5-10% of people are positive now (iceland mass testing data) it seems likely to peak pretty soon.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

our lockdown is somewhat working, new cases are lower and lower each day. not like 19,000 in a day like the US 😭😰🥺

shits very likely to get real here though

stay safe brother :smugmrgw::respek::smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Jonny 290 posted:

better not our European super holiday is in September :xd:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DuckConference posted:

seems unlikely, if 5-10% of people are positive now (iceland mass testing data) it seems likely to peak pretty soon.

Yeah the benefit of us handling it terribly and allowing it to spread out of control and cause an order of magnitude more deaths than it otherwise would have is that it ends sooner too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DuckConference posted:

then everybody gets off of lockdown and has bareback sex and makes out in the square like when the troops came home after the war ended, and it comes right the gently caress back

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is your gentle reminder that nursing homes are unprotected sex hotbeds. it's a god drat bacchanal in there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

this is your gentle reminder that nursing homes are unprotected sex hotbeds. it's a god drat bacchanal in there.

sorry jonny. can’t be your wingman. I’m a married goon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

sorry jonny. can’t be your wingman. I’m a married goon

you will get your tight little butt down to Shady Acres and assume the position or else

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

there's only a certain number of pub licenses that my town will hand out at once and I guarantee the ones that are taken by the lovely pubs that only boomers go to are going to be relinquished by the time this is over

there was a queue of taphouses waiting for licenses last I checked so I'm looking forward to a few new ones being open a few months after the end of the pandemic.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

then everybody gets off of lockdown and has bareback sex and makes out in the square like when the troops came home after the war ended, and it comes right the gently caress back

Well ideally once everyone has rolled the dice then it just peters out. The dice roll isn't a great bet though, it's essentially rolling 3 dice and you die if you get either all 1s or all 2s, except it might actually be worse than that because there are no more ventilators.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

Well ideally once everyone has rolled the dice then it just peters out. The dice roll isn't a great bet though, it's essentially rolling 3 dice and you die if you get either all 1s or all 2s, except it might actually be worse than that because there are no more ventilators.

this new version of risk sucks!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think the ventilator-required percentage for 80+ year olds is over 50%

three rounds of the rona in The Villages will leave maybe a thousand left standing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

I think the ventilator-required percentage for 80+ year olds is over 50%

three rounds of the rona in The Villages will leave maybe a thousand left standing

The terrifying statistic I heard was that it was still like 10% for people in their 40s. Like, the death rate ramps up to Contagion numbers without ventilators super fast.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

good news, other coronaviruses don’t seem to provide long lasting immunity after you recover. you might be able to get this one over and over again lol!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

The terrifying statistic I heard was that it was still like 10% for people in their 40s. Like, the death rate ramps up to Contagion numbers without ventilators super fast.

yeah im 40 and i basically have the cardiopulmonary system of a 55 year old due to Rough Living. If I get this poo poo, i'm loving dead, even if i'm an edge case, because I will not consent to a ventilator that could instead go to a nice dad with some adorable kids.

I am full death crew now. nothing matters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will spoil that if i am diagnosed i will not die in vain, but i will instead [REDACTED] a shitload of [REDACTED] with my semiautomatic [REDACTED] and take them down with me, in a simulation, in minecraft, nothing in this post involves reality or my actual actions

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
One thing that will prevent a lot of misguided suicide martyrs who get this is that by the time you know you have it bad you already get winded from putting on your shoes and you can't stand for more than ten minutes without feeling like you're going to pass out. It doesn't really leave you in a position where you can physically do anything to anyone. If you get over it then you won your dice roll so now you aren't going to do any suicidal stuff and get on with your life.

There. I've now officially thought about it longer than anyone in the Federal Government.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
What if there was a massive blackout somewhere with a hospital full of people on ventilators? I assume whatever generator every hospital in the country bought was the bare minimum for normal operations with no redundancy or even periodic testing. I am imagining a thunderstorm knocking out power to like 50k people on ventilators who all die within minutes when the generators fail to deal with the increased load.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

What if there was a massive blackout somewhere with a hospital full of people on ventilators? I assume whatever generator every hospital in the country bought was the bare minimum for normal operations with no redundancy or even periodic testing. I am imagining a thunderstorm knocking out power to like 50k people on ventilators who all die within minutes when the generators fail to deal with the increased load.

they get tested routinely just about everywhere. i can't really address your capacity question though. the hospital i have direct knowledge of has critical circuits that are backed up by the generator and the rest just shuts off if they lose outside power so they can get a little more for their capability, but if the place is packed they probably have stuff plugged in wherever they can find an outlet.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
yeah all the med/large hospitals I worked with had lines from multiple utilities + multiple generators and, most importantly, they were actually tested in all configurations on a regular basis.

if you're in a 12 bed hospital in the middle of nowhere yeah you're probably in trouble, but yer outlook there is already not great.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Answered my phone today, since maybe people are calling due to everything that's happening

Turns out they're still doing that robocall scam where they say you won a free cruise

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
re: o'reilly events, it's probably a combination of them trying to get out of the events biz in the first place but my personal theory is that they weren't able to get released from multi-year event contracts and killed off the events side of things as a way to write off those contracts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Answered my phone today, since maybe people are calling due to everything that's happening

Turns out they're still doing that robocall scam where they say you won a free cruise

i think that was actually a threat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s a carnival message. it means luca brasi has checked into his cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*picks up phone*

*LOUD BOAT HORN NOISE* Congratulations! *voice continually deepens in pitch and slows in rate* You have won a free five day fun packed vacation on the plague ship. You will infect all your loved ones and then die *phone hangs up*