Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Stereotype posted:

The terrifying statistic I heard was that it was still like 10% for people in their 40s. Like, the death rate ramps up to Contagion numbers without ventilators super fast.

no it isn't

anybody who says "the death or hospitalization rate for age group x is y" is talking out of their rear end, because we actually have almost no idea right now. any fraction one can generate where the denominator is the number of people infected is somewhere between a wild-rear end-guess and a vaguely informed estimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we've been doing a weekly happy hour via webex and i've been tasked with setting up some sort of game for the next one

gonna set up a jackbox server

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we've been doing a weekly happy hour via webex and i've been tasked with setting up some sort of game for the next one

so have we, except I haven't been going to them because by 4pm on a friday I'm pretty much dead

though if there's a jackbox server on this week's invite I would consider it tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Answered my phone today, since maybe people are calling due to everything that's happening

Turns out they're still doing that robocall scam where they say you won a free cruise

the usual robot mandarin visa scam calls I get several times a week now have an atlanta caller id and claim to be from the cdc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

coworker had a big rear end jackbox game night via company paid for zoom, and it was a big hit. please utilize all company resources for """" dumb bullshit """" because without that, they will need to do a LOT of hiring in a few months

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my wife has a covid patient right now that’s in their 20s and didn’t have any comorbidities really and they’re probably not going to make it so it’s really best to avoid at all ages and anyone downplaying it for young people probably just wants to sacrifice them for number

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
https://funny-farm.appspot.com/game/farm

This is a word association puzzle game that can be really fun to play as a group. Some of the references may be dated. There’s an editor if you want to click around Wikipedia for a while to build something more topical.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DuckConference posted:

no it isn't

anybody who says "the death or hospitalization rate for age group x is y" is talking out of their rear end, because we actually have almost no idea right now. any fraction one can generate where the denominator is the number of people infected is somewhere between a wild-rear end-guess and a vaguely informed estimate

except for the "death rate for people in age group x who are hospitalized/on a ventilator"

once it's bad enough to go to the hospital we have pretty good statistics about the outcomes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
omg I hate multimedia processing so much I’m going to be up all night I swear just to get this crap shoved out the door

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

our lockdown is somewhat working, new cases are lower and lower each day. not like 19,000 in a day like the US 😭😰🥺

i think its just from fewer international arrivals into nz so the ambient noise of incoming infected is dropping. i remember one of the daily updates circa monday or so said there were like 300 people total coming for that day. if you go on flightradar lately theres like the one daily airnz flight from LA and all the domestic flights are freight

the thing to worry about is how many community infections there are - picture an exponential curve that lags by 2 weeks. we're basically looking at stats for people who got infected a week before the lockdown started now

meanwhile the known community infections are low but there's a bunch of uninvestigated cases in the backlog that ill guess are gonna be community since otherwise they'd just be "they just flew in last week case closed"

i think the most likely scenario assuming things go well with the lockdown is that there are occasional local flareups and lockdowns keep occurring but on a per-region basis. meanwhile domestic flights will hopefully be restricted and international travel will continue to be hosed indefinitely since its so risky

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think its just from fewer international arrivals into nz so the ambient noise of incoming infected is dropping. i remember one of the daily updates circa monday or so said there were like 300 people total coming for that day. if you go on flightradar lately theres like the one daily airnz flight from LA and all the domestic flights are freight

the thing to worry about is how many community infections there are - picture an exponential curve that lags by 2 weeks. we're basically looking at stats for people who got infected a week before the lockdown started now

meanwhile the known community infections are low but there's a bunch of uninvestigated cases in the backlog that ill guess are gonna be community since otherwise they'd just be "they just flew in last week case closed"

i think the most likely scenario assuming things go well with the lockdown is that there are occasional local flareups and lockdowns keep occurring but on a per-region basis. meanwhile domestic flights will hopefully be restricted and international travel will continue to be hosed indefinitely since its so risky

Yeah Hawaii seems like it is in a very similar boat as NZ. Honolulu dropped from 30,000 visitors arriving per day to only ~130. The visitors who are arriving seem to be irresponsible idiots who saw the cheap prices and are trying to take advantage of it. The state reported a family of four who arrived without a hotel reservation for example.

The Mayor of Honolulu just officially petitioned Trump to ban all visitor travel to Hawaii, which requires a Federal action.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

my wife has a covid patient right now that’s in their 20s and didn’t have any comorbidities really and they’re probably not going to make it so it’s really best to avoid at all ages and anyone downplaying it for young people probably just wants to sacrifice them for number

hoverwife's hospital just updated their staff on the "crisis mode" triage procedure, which basically has them decide whether you're worth their time and equipment or not (you don't want to be labeled "blue")

this isn't just for new admissions, but for everyone currently in a hospital bed. so for example those vegetables are gettin their respirators yanked first. they aren't allowed to discriminate exactly on age, but they get around that with language like "lifecycle" and "in-progress life tasks" ie how much longer you might live if you fully recover and if you're a parent or about to be one, respectively

really she's more concerned that they aren't stockpiling morphine, since they already run out on the reg when they aren't expecting large amounts of people dying there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

really she's more concerned that they aren't stockpiling morphine, since they already run out on the reg when they aren't expecting large amounts of people dying there

i hear a kilo of carfentanil will go a long way. i'm sure some synthetic chem lab somewhere is itching to help out

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Yeah Hawaii seems like it is in a very similar boat as NZ. Honolulu dropped from 30,000 visitors arriving per day to only ~130. The visitors who are arriving seem to be irresponsible idiots who saw the cheap prices and are trying to take advantage of it. The state reported a family of four who arrived without a hotel reservation for example.

The Mayor of Honolulu just officially petitioned Trump to ban all visitor travel to Hawaii, which requires a Federal action.

one thing in nz's favor is they were able to block all arrivals (and even transfers) except:
- crew
- citizens
- permanent residents and resident visa holders
- australians who already have nz as their primary residence

and for the above you need to provide the address within ~5 hours drive of auckland (the only airport currently accepting intl flights) where youll be staying in self isolation, and someone will be coming by to check that youre doing it. alternatively the govt will instead put you into isolation housing (ie a hotel) for that period themselves

between that and nearly all flights being cancelled youd have to be pretty genuinely needing to get back to be entering nz at the moment

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I might build me some sort of earth oven with all this working from home free time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gonna make some baked alaska?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i don’t know if I want coronavirus to kill me but then again it would also solve the problem of waking up every morning hating life lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i don’t know if I want coronavirus to kill me but then again it would also solve the problem of waking up every morning hating life lmao

honestly I'd rather staring down the post-apocalyptic barrel of some nazi's shotgun than the wu tang flu

coronavirus is basically a random chance to get loving murdered by an illness that the world could have stopped from getting to this point. at least if I say the right words then a nazi is going to give me a few seconds to make peace with jesus and accept my fate.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Day 31 of WFH: My sauerkraut has molded.

The pinto beans have been exhausted and we are onto the lesser beans (kidney, black)

I'm starting to think some computers just should not be touched

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
I spent all day reading notes on a bug ticket I volunteered to help with. I joined the working session call in the afternoon and my eyes glazed over as I listened to everyone talk. Is this real life?

I still owe Tom Nook a Lot of Money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

put bullshit early morning meetings in your calendar, visible to the whole company

prime snooze time

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

maybe it's just unchecked mental illness but every time I post something like that I pray there's no fuckin narcs who work for the same 100-man company that I do in this forum

if any of you know a bald man in the oil sands who says "work smarter not harder" every time someone says "we're overloaded" and work for a company that has a name that's frequently confused with both an ISP in the US of the same name and a cell carrier up here in canada with a similar-ish name, PM me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

i don’t give large fucks about myself but it would suck for my wife and kids if i keeled over.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

omg I hate multimedia processing so much I’m going to be up all night I swear just to get this crap shoved out the door

it’s ok there’s no deadlines for your posting, really

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
woke up this morning to my work laptop melting down because of all of the corporate spyware is eating up 70% cpu lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stereotype posted:

*picks up phone*

*LOUD BOAT HORN NOISE* Congratulations! *voice continually deepens in pitch and slows in rate* You have won a free five day fun packed vacation on the plague ship. You will infect all your loved ones and then die *phone hangs up*

lmbo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after 4 weeks of quarantine I finally have my home workstation set up how I like

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Is it weird wanting to put in PTO when I am at home and cannot go anywhere? I just want to be high/drunk for like 2 days straight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxrigger posted:

Is it weird wanting to put in PTO when I am at home and cannot go anywhere? I just want to be high/drunk for like 2 days straight

if you're not on a video call how can they tell

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

do it

my company still seems to be operating under the assumption that this whole thing won't impact development velocity, like we were already really good at working remote but people have kids at home all day and worries and stuff so yeah we're going to miss some features from the next release but I don't think that's bubbled all the way up the management chain yet

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my coronovirus experience is not being able to go home, someone sending my post from home, then discovering i owe an additional 5k in tax. thanks crow virus!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

after 4 weeks of quarantine I finally have my home workstation set up how I like

woah man you shouldn't post photos of the SCIF; did you get permission to take those?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

woke up this morning to my work laptop melting down because of all of the corporate spyware is eating up 70% cpu lol

I guess people were having problems with some new piece of software on some computers that might have been for making sure that their soft phones would dial the right emergency services or something? it was consuming a ton of resources

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I termed one aws vm yesterday and caused 31 pagerduty phone calls.

I don't want to even pretend to work today

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

haveblue posted:

if you're not on a video call how can they tell

catholic upbringing, little sweet infant baby jesus is judging me for even thinking of such a thing even while I know you are 100% correct and I haven't been catholic for about a decade.

qirex posted:

do it

my company still seems to be operating under the assumption that this whole thing won't impact development velocity, like we were already really good at working remote but people have kids at home all day and worries and stuff so yeah we're going to miss some features from the next release but I don't think that's bubbled all the way up the management chain yet

That is a good point.

Thanks all.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Methanar posted:

I don't want to even pretend to work today

Hard :same:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

do take care of your mental state mostly everyone. most of us are extremely unlikely to die from covid-19, to a point where the mental health effects are a problem to be just as careful with.

this might mean taking a bit more time to get drunk and slack off, but may also mean less.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

coronavirus is basically a random chance to get loving murdered by an illness that the world could have stopped from getting to this point. at least if I say the right words then a nazi is going to give me a few seconds to make peace with jesus and accept my fate.

a healthy person has an extremely low chance of having any issues from it, which is why the handful of cases where this happens have gotten a lot of media attention.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

qirex posted:

I don't even know what I would do with all of those buttons and lights but that looks soothing af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

this is your gentle reminder that nursing homes are unprotected sex hotbeds. it's a god drat bacchanal in there.

[loosens tie]