Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

STR posted:

Definitely don't have the money to pay someone to make a will, so it'll have to be a DIY bit.

We did our wills a few months ago following my latest health issues. Found a generic form online, filled it out then had it notarized at my Wife's bank. Total cost was $0, only a bit of paper and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

Definitely don't have the money to pay someone to make a will, so it'll have to be a DIY bit.

I have zero assets aside from an 18 year old car, a ~10 year old PC, and an even older TV. And a little bit of furniture. My 401k is only in the hundreds at the moment.

I have free life insurance at 2x my yearly income (at 38 hrs/week * my hourly * 52) from my employer now, but (now ex) gf isn't listed on it - only my mother.

TBH I'm kinda tempted to put her as 50% on it for now. We're on good terms and doing our best to remain good friends, and she's potentially moving back to our home town soon. We're 6 months apart in age, we both work in "essential businesses", but I have health issues that will make me much more likely to poo poo my life out before she does if one of us drinks the Corona. And she's facing some major expenses if she moves back to our home town. :smith:

Here is a good explanation of what will happen when you die. I think you’re the fourth scenario.

https://fordbergner.com/dying-without-a-will-in-texas-what-happens/

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm mainly looking forward to seeing my parents again.

I've heard some horror stories out of NYC, and it sounds like Philadelphia is ramping up. Things are about to go crazy, it sounds like.

It is, per the doctors I know, quite bad. Please do everything you can to stay safe.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

The assets are the easy parts to deal with, it's the other poo poo!

Which were the biggest headaches? I want to cover that since I'm writing it now. I've specified what I want done with my remains (stuffed and put on the couch so I can die as I lived), and I've specified how I want my funeral, but most sites say to do that separate since the funeral happens fast and nobody reads the will until after.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

Which were the biggest headaches? I want to cover that since I'm writing it now. I've specified what I want done with my remains (stuffed and put on the couch so I can die as I lived), and I've specified how I want my funeral, but most sites say to do that separate since the funeral happens fast and nobody reads the will until after.

I want to be cremated and have my ashes mixed into the food of all my enemies.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I die of the plague, I want my corpse dumped onto Mitch McConnell's front porch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Drop mine from a helicopter on his roof. From as high as possible. I want to leave a mark.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

KillHour posted:

If I die of the plague, I want my corpse dumped onto Mitch McConnell's front porch.

same, but the other way around

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Drop mine from a helicopter on his roof. From as high as possible. I want to leave a mark.
Helicopters don't go high enough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm big enough that even just a few thousand feet should be a hard enough hit to finish off a regular wooden framed roof.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

same, but the other way around

You want Mitch McConnell's front porch dumped onto your corpse?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You want Mitch McConnell's front porch dumped onto your corpse?

Don't kinkshame.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just have my life insurance left to my mother. My main worry is what they will do with 15 Japanese imports if I croak.

Had to drop the kids off at their moms today and I know she has been out somewhere, probably shacking up with some rando, she has been lying saying she has been home. But what can I do? loving despicable piece of poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I want my remains to be scattered all over the place, but I don't want to be cremated.

LloydDobler posted:

It's all the legal and practical poo poo (especially property and banking). If you don't have an executor it has to go before the courts to get appointed, that takes time, the court has to approve it, that takes time, and good luck if you made a mistake (filed in the wrong court for example, which the firm we engaged for hers did or made a typo). And then the probate process is on top of that.

Even stuff that people don't think about, like their taxes, death paperwork, things like that. In the meantime, they still have a house/condo/property/landlords and you can tell people to get stuffed because they are dead, but that all adds to their stress and to be honest, it's not fair to them either. Utilities are still getting charged against the estate, even if nobody is living there/using it.

A free kit might be perfectly legal, but that doesn't mean it's cut and dry and one size certainly does not fit all for wills, not even taking into account legalities that might be applicable to your specific jurisdiction. This is one of the things I would engage a lawyer for. Generally, wills don't cost that much (I think the Mrs. and I had ours all done for less than $400) and they have tons of practical advice for stuff we didn't even consider.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you also usually need an executor and that poo poo is fraught with drama, so if you have significant assets you should definitely use a lawyer as an executor!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am a big fan of having a lawyer as an executor. That's what we did when we had ours done, and it's not like we have tons of assets, but it's just a royal pain in the rear end to deal with the bullshit. Especially if you chose someone close that might be grieving you.

I don't wish that on anyone. You can give your directive to the lawyer on what you want accomplished and they make it happen. That way, if 3rd cousin Frank thinks he was hosed out of something rightfully his, he can deal with the lawyer and not start a family schism.

I am my brothers executor but I told him I'll likely have to step back as we live in different provinces and have a job/life/school so to have a 2nd choice or a lawyer chosen.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I was the executor of my moms estate and even with a cut and dry will it was still a huge, huge pain in the rear end dealing with insurance bills and taxes and all that poo poo. Definitely get a lawyer, I so wish I did.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 31, 2020

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Because of all of this pandemic poo poo I can finally hold my introverted homebody habits over others as a virtue instead of as a social liability

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I read somewhere about a guy who wants his skull removed, polished and then the remainder of his body converted into two cremation diamonds for the eye sockets. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

stevobob posted:

Because of all of this pandemic poo poo I can finally hold my introverted homebody habits over others as a virtue instead of as a social liability

We're learning who has hobbies and who hates their families during this... :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Friend's wife just quoted Ben Franklin in response to the pandemic.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither and will lose both."
Then goes on to complain about the state being on lockdown and parks being closed so she can't go play with her kids.
Then complains further that her freedom of speech is being suppressed because people don't like what she has to say. Yeah that's not how that works.

I can't understand this argument from 2 different perspectives:
1) libertarians to whom I assume she is appealing - "gently caress you for expecting the government to provide you a place to play. You're a grown rear end woman. Buy yourself some land and build your own goddamn playground and you can do whatever you want."
2) literally every other sane person - "gently caress you. we wouldn't all be on lockdown until June if people like you would just stay the gently caress home for a few weeks."

I mean if you want your freedumb, then I'm all for it. But you want to live in a society and assume all the benefits a society provides. So, you have to participate in that society, which means abiding by it's rules and respecting it's importance.
"I do whatever the gently caress I want" is not a mentality in-line with being part of society. It's just selfish. I don't care if you do what you want, but go do it away from other people.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The seat cushion cover in my VW developed a small tear and I wanted to look up the part number, just to see how much it would cost versus whatever a repair service might charge.

The part number is 3B0881405EARSE.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you have significant assets, do a revocable living trust. No executor (which costs $$), it happens instantly, much easier than a will and probate. My mom did this when she moved up here. It's just me (and my wife) and her, so the trust made perfect sense.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Working in the workshop with pearl jam cranked up on my own. Normally that would be called being a crotchety hermit who hates people, but today its Social Distancing!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Ferremit posted:

Working in the workshop with pearl jam cranked up on my own. Normally that would be called being a crotchety hermit who hates people, but today its Social Distancing!

I cannot get Dance of the Clairvoyants out of my head at the moment. It's such a good full-volume driving song.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sharkytm posted:

If you have significant assets, do a revocable living trust. No executor (which costs $$), it happens instantly, much easier than a will and probate. My mom did this when she moved up here. It's just me (and my wife) and her, so the trust made perfect sense.
That's a good tool for dealing with assets - but it doesn't help much with the other procedural crap that still has to get done with dying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean if you want your freedumb, then I'm all for it. But you want to live in a society and assume all the benefits a society provides. So, you have to participate in that society, which means abiding by it's rules and respecting it's importance.
"I do whatever the gently caress I want" is not a mentality in-line with being part of society. It's just selfish. I don't care if you do what you want, but go do it away from other people.

What is all this reasonable stuff you're talking about I know mah rights

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

I am a big fan of having a lawyer as an executor. That's what we did when we had ours done, and it's not like we have tons of assets, but it's just a royal pain in the rear end to deal with the bullshit. Especially if you chose someone close that might be grieving you.

I don't wish that on anyone. You can give your directive to the lawyer on what you want accomplished and they make it happen. That way, if 3rd cousin Frank thinks he was hosed out of something rightfully his, he can deal with the lawyer and not start a family schism.

When my grandfather passed, the executor was a longtime girlfriend. There was so. much. fighting. within the family. Both over her being the executor, and finger pointing over who got what. It was a massive shitshow.

My dad (a CPA, they'd been divorced for ~15 years at that point) was brought in to help, since (a) he was familiar with his businesses and (b) he was well regarded as one of the best CPAs in town (still is). He revealed to me recently that he thought she handled everything really well, but that my aunt and my mother were both being spoiled brats and drama queens, to sum it up (mostly my mother). That... sounds about right.

Given his net worth (multimillionaire, owned multiple new car dealerships, some franchises like Avis, etc), he really should have had a lawyer for that.

builds character posted:

Here is a good explanation of what will happen when you die. I think you're the fourth scenario.

https://fordbergner.com/dying-without-a-will-in-texas-what-happens/

Yeah, definitely #4. Yikes, that sounds like a pain.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 1, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
To all you newlyweds who haven't figured it out yet:

When your wife says she wants to paint, she means she's going to paint for like 20 minutes while you stand there and hand her stuff and move the ladder.
Then she'd gonna get tired and then you're gonna wind up painting the rest of the goddamn house.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you have to paint more than a wall get a power roller. Holy poo poo do they make the process faster, easier, and better. Also get good paint so you only have to paint once.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

STR posted:

My dad (a CPA, they'd been divorced for ~15 years at that point) was brought in to help, since (a) he was familiar with his businesses and (b) he was well regarded as one of the best CPAs in town (still is). He revealed to me recently that he thought she handled everything really well, but that my aunt and my mother were both being spoiled brats and drama queens, to sum it up (mostly my mother). That... sounds about right.

I'm only tangentially involved with people who have estate issues (thankfully), and I have to say dying with a decent chunk of change is the best way to tear a family apart.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

meltie posted:

I cannot get Dance of the Clairvoyants out of my head at the moment. It's such a good full-volume driving song.

Your not wrong... Its one of those songs that are totally dangerous for your licence. You start tapping to the beat and next thing you know your doing 100 in an 80 zone...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

All these posts about poo poo going down when loved ones die is making me really grateful that when my dad past, my mom got pretty much everything, our surviving half-brother got a pittance so he didn't make trouble, my Brother got nothing, and I got a well-used 2002 Ford Ranger (I had offered to buy it in a year when I made it back out West, Dad didn't make it that long, but insisted I just have it when I did. :smith:) but besides idiot half brother, who's in jail for a Juceiro scam or some poo poo and didn't bother us, we all handled it like adults, prioritized grieving over fighting and everything went smoothly, we had a lovely service a month after he passed, since it doesn't matter when you have a memorial after a cremation and everything was fine. Wish him and mom hadn't hid the true extent of his health problems from me though, maybe then it wouldn't have taken a week to hear that he had passed, followed by a week of being stuck on a submarine before I could fly home out of Norway (another couple days.)

I'm sure that this has a lot to do with my full brother and I being very close, generally non-avaricious people and having jobs that provide for all of our wants, and that and my Mom being the sum total of our family and it was pretty easy (Mom still had to deal with some general BS that happens whenever someone passes)

Bonus points to Dad for ensuring my Mom will want for nothing the rest of her life, even without any support from my brother and I.

E: I need to make a Will, think I'll go about it once

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 1, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If my dad dies it looks like my siblings get a pittance and I get his insanely huge model railroad collection.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

^that sounds a lot like a 2002 Ford Ranger that once had its engine seize on the highway due to lack of oil (unseized after cooling down and adding oil) and a variety of odd tools and fasteners as an inheritance.

It's exactly everything I wanted in the even of my dad's death, and I'll be using his tools to fix up my mom's and my house for decades to come :unsmith:

Much like you'll be spinnin' wheels on that sweet HO gauge track for many years, I'm sure.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

And now i have another bin to store firewood in for the coming end of the world! Now just to paint it, which is going to be a ball ache

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I'm building a wooden deck. Which is resting on 24 concrete posts. I have two lengths (due to sloping terrain), the longer ones are roughly 200mm x 200mm x 700mm, and weigh 45 kilos each.

Ask me if my out-of-shape keyboard warrior rear end is busted deadlifting those suckers in and out of holes in the ground repeatedly to get the height exactly right.

Oh and I have 14 of the smaller ones and 10 of the big ones.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918913

See ya in April

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Surely you jest!

edit: I mean, is it all just a joke to you? Do I look like a fool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Do you REALLY want us to answer that? :v: