Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nettle Soup posted:

There's a ton of good coop builds on byc, https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

I found putting "diy coop" or "shed chicken coop" or whatever into google image search (-pinterest, gently caress pinterest) bought up a lot of good stuff. Then I realised it would be about the same price, and bought the big plastic house instead.

Thank you. Signal / noise ratio is high looking for this kind of stuff initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Ghostnuke posted:

Use the "mama heating pad" instead of a light.

I found a ceramic heat emitter that had been buried in a box from a few moves. It is doing the trick admirably. Plus these chicks are so people-oriented that my sons are interacting with them a lot and it's tuckering them out for the night just fine.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i keep finding chickens out the front of my house. they're not my chickens. i live in a city

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what do they want from me

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Lost my favorite girl to a hawk attack last night. She survived one last fall but she didn't get away this time :( We've had 3 hawk attacks in 3 years of living here. The crows usually do a great job keeping them away, and I've gotten lax with free ranging lately.

Gonna miss my little girlie. She was a constant companion, much more independent than the rest of the flock, and followed me like a puppy dog everywhere.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
That really sucks. We've had our share of hawk/fox/raccoon kills, keeping the birds cooped up is the only thing that helps. But that sucks too.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hope and vaseline posted:

Lost my favorite girl to a hawk attack last night. She survived one last fall but she didn't get away this time :( We've had 3 hawk attacks in 3 years of living here. The crows usually do a great job keeping them away, and I've gotten lax with free ranging lately.

Gonna miss my little girlie. She was a constant companion, much more independent than the rest of the flock, and followed me like a puppy dog everywhere.

Oh, sorry for your loss.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hallelujah posted:

i keep finding chickens out the front of my house. they're not my chickens. i live in a city

They've got wandering goats in Llandudno:

https://twitter.com/AndrewStuart/status/1243329253288169473

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lawson posted:

That really sucks. We've had our share of hawk/fox/raccoon kills, keeping the birds cooped up is the only thing that helps. But that sucks too.

I'm really grateful for all the dogs in my suburb. There's always a dog barking somewhere at any point during the night, as nearly everybody has easy outdoor access set up for em. I think it keeps bullshit boredom killers like raccoons out. I know they're around, as I see roadkilled raccoons once a month or so on roads about 2 miles away from my neighborhood.
Regardless, I never forget to lock up the coop every night. The coop isn't skirted against burrowers and I'm not taking risks.

We've got one hawk that I think claims our neighborhood as territory. It made one play at the chickens when we were first letting them claim the back yard once they got old enough, but all the hawk did was hit bare ground and look around in confusion, as the chickens had bolted in all directions. My wife was in the back yard for it and was a bit stunned too. At this point though the birds all are bigger than the hawk, and I think the ameracaunas look a bit like predatory birds themselves, and the hawk hasn't been back.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hope and vaseline posted:

:sympathy: rest in peck, snowy queen

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

5er posted:

I'm really grateful for all the dogs in my suburb. There's always a dog barking somewhere at any point during the night, as nearly everybody has easy outdoor access set up for em. I think it keeps bullshit boredom killers like raccoons out. I know they're around, as I see roadkilled raccoons once a month or so on roads about 2 miles away from my neighborhood.
Regardless, I never forget to lock up the coop every night. The coop isn't skirted against burrowers and I'm not taking risks.

We've got one hawk that I think claims our neighborhood as territory. It made one play at the chickens when we were first letting them claim the back yard once they got old enough, but all the hawk did was hit bare ground and look around in confusion, as the chickens had bolted in all directions. My wife was in the back yard for it and was a bit stunned too. At this point though the birds all are bigger than the hawk, and I think the ameracaunas look a bit like predatory birds themselves, and the hawk hasn't been back.

I'm kinda curious about something: are feral/outdoor cats a big problem for chicken owners?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Newbie question about a coop:

Looking at getting 3-4 chickens from one of my wife's co-workers who is heavily into them and has volunteered to raise them from chicks until they can take care of themselves for us.

Wife grew up rural and had chickens around, but they just kind of free-ranged and lived in a barn with laying boxes, not in a dedicated coop. I grew up suburban and know nothing.

We now live in a semi-rural area in the Great Lakes so will have to contend with cold(ish) winters, and some predators.

All of that is a very long way of asking: Is this a good first-timer backyard coop?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001?cm_vc=-10005

We're planning to let them free range, so I don't think we need a ton of enclosed space.

Edit: Am also looking at this one, but don't love that it's raw wood that has to be painted/polyed: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d?cm_vc=-10005

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 31, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I got a slightly larger, very similar coop from Tractor Supply. My only recommendation is that you

1) get a couple latches from the hardware store and install an extra latch on each door. Keeps raccoons out.

2) dig a deep, narrow trench all the way around it, tack chicken wire all along the bottom, and bury it. 6-12 inches of buried wire has done a great job of keeping predators from digging into my coop.

Edit: The second one looks a little small if you're going to put their food and water in there. I've set things up so that I have their water bucket hanging from a hook inside the coop, and an extension cord running from the house so that I can put a bucket warming gadget through a hole in the wire and into their bucket.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 31, 2020

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Welp, I candled our eggs last night...out of the 36 eggs I set, only 10 have embryos, with another 6 possibles (their shells were too dark to tell, I left them in the incubator just in case).

I did a breakout on the ones with no embryos, and just because it's a weird year in every other damned way, we had a really low embryo development ratio--13 eggs never developed, though they were fertile. 5 more had broken yolks, only two eggs out of the original 36 we set were infertile.

Oh, and six of the eggs that developed were eggs from our neighbors--the eggs they had washed and refrigerated. :derp:
I give up on this year, everything is upside down. On April 11th I fully expect turtles or some such thing to hatch from these eggs at this point.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I give up on this year, everything is upside down. On April 11th I fully expect turtles or some such thing to hatch from these eggs at this point.
lmao

praying you get at least a reptile, rather than some kind of invertebrate

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

hallelujah posted:

lmao

praying you get at least a reptile, rather than some kind of invertebrate

do you want an elder god? because i'm pretty sure that's how you get elder gods.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

she's not sure about it

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Oooof

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Fox ate my girl's heads last night. Pickle, Rhubarb, Hilde - I am so, so sorry. :qq:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ynohtna posted:

Fox ate my girl's heads last night. Pickle, Rhubarb, Hilde - I am so, so sorry. :qq:

Oh no :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ynohtna posted:

Oh poo poo, that's such sad news. RIP ladies.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

ynohtna posted:

In my experience a fox will eat/carry off the whole bird. Just the head is more of a raccoon thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I'm kinda curious about something: are feral/outdoor cats a big problem for chicken owners?

They haven't been for me -- I let my cats out occasionally, and there's at least 3 or 4 other cats who roam the neighborhood. They were curious about the chickens when they were tiny, but now that the chickens are full-grown the cats fear and avoid them, and refuse to go outside if the chickens are too close to the back door.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lawson posted:

In my experience a fox will eat/carry off the whole bird. Just the head is more of a raccoon thing.

Yeah, and raccoons will also eat the back out of a chicken and then leave them.
NOT a fan of raccoons for this reason. Ynohtna, so sad this happened.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Thanks for the kind words, friends. It's a freaking me out just how impactful it is not to have the hens' various voices softly going off in the background. Also, just how often I look out and expect to see their fluffy butts and judgemental stares. :smith:

Lawson posted:

We're in Brighton, on the south coast of the UK and I don't think we have any raccoons around here! We definitely have a few urban foxes in the area, though. The corona lockdown has closed all the fast food joints and the town is deserted from the lack of tourists, students & AirBnB-ers so there's zero street scraps and bin spillage to fill a hungry fox belly. I figure they've been pushed to explore deeper and thus forced an opportunity and gap in our defences.

My partner heard some noise last night and went to the window but didn't see anything. Maybe that scared off the culprit.

Of course, the lockdown means it could be some time until we can get some replacements (to love and protect even more dearly). drat it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Sorry to hear this. Happened to us a couple of months ago. Heads off all three after the bastard dug into the run.

You'll probably spend a month or two seeing their place and going "Oh. Poor chickens."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sorry to hear this. Happened to us a couple of months ago. Heads off all three after the bastard dug into the run.

You'll probably spend a month or two seeing their place and going "Oh. Poor chickens."

Oh god, yeah. Even the seagulls who nest in the chimney opposite us were all confused today: as if to ask "where are our trash-duck comrades?" And we're still reflexively saving kitchen scraps... :smith:

The worse is that Rhubarb and Hilde were both still under a year old. They were lovely, sweet, personable girls who deserved many long summers and graceful elder years.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm so sorry to hear about the chicken losses. They lived happy lives under your stewardship.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh no :negative: i'm so sorry for your loss! these sweet, hopeless little things

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
In Oz, foxes carry off chickens whole, usually one by one after killings them

Cats will eat just the head

Possums will take quails and chickens eggs

And dogs / dingoes will go nuts and it will looks like a grenade went off

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cythereal posted:

There's a few in my neighborhood who have never been a problem. Adult chickens are out of the weight class of a cat's typical prey I think.

Lawson posted:

In Division 2, I will blast raccoons on sight when I see em. Don't really have to, they're for the most part environmental cosmetics, but I feel it's an important principle for us backyard pastoralists.

5er fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 2, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The best description of raccoons I've ever heard is, "They are like feral cats with thumbs."

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, unhappy news. 12_String accidentally turned off the ReptiPro while I was napping. It was off for 4 hours, egg temp got down to 77 degrees.
It may have killed the embryos. I'll candle the eggs in 24 hours to see if the embryos are viable, if I'm not sure I'll check again a few days later to see if they are still developing. But I have to tell you--even if the embryos are viable, it *could* mean defective chicks. There's just no way to tell.

If the embryos are dead, we start over from go.
Very sorry, this has never happened before. :(

Moral: Don't sleep

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat :sympathy: a time of misfortune seems to have fallen upon the thread, i'm so sorry that happened! rip mystery lizard babies

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

drat you 2020

:smith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay this virus poo poo sucks but loving with Chickam is just cruel. gently caress off, 2020!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

On top of everything else I can not handle my loathing for Norway rats. I am so irritated.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

To add to the shitstorm that is 2020, and despite the wonderful, warm spring day here, it's begining to look like Pip* is winding down...

*Queen Pip the Glorious

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spookygonk posted:

To add to the shitstorm that is 2020, and despite the wonderful, warm spring day here, it's begining to look like Pip* is winding down...

*Queen Pip the Glorious
no!! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh, goddammit 2020. :smith:

e: minor uplift: our neighbouring seagull pair are definitely nesting.