Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there anything in the pipe as far as the Google Pixel freezing reported above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Weirdly I am being logged out of the app, apparently randomly, on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, android 4.4.2) since yesterday. It's fine on my phone. Anyone have similar experiences?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Weirdly I am being logged out of the app, apparently randomly, on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, android 4.4.2) since yesterday. It's fine on my phone. Anyone have similar experiences?

Can confirm, but this is fully updated Pixel 4 XL.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Meatgrinder posted:

Same thing on my s5

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I had to login three four times today on Android 7.0.

It seems like it happens after the screen was locked for some time.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 31, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's happening on both my phone and tablet.

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011
Same. Every time I switch to another app and return to Awful having to reenter my login details.(S8, Android 9)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are any of you getting an error popup with a message? If so what does it say?

It's hard to diagnose this stuff without being able to see it happening, it could be the site falling over somehow...

smoobles posted:

Is there anything in the pipe as far as the Google Pixel freezing reported above

if we see it happening we can try and do something about it! People said it was happening in other apps since the update though?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

It's hard to diagnose this stuff without being able to see it happening, it could be the site falling over somehow...

Nope. No warning that it's gonna happen, no error message, nothing. I launch the app and get large :smugdog:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

baka kaba posted:

if we see it happening we can try and do something about it! People said it was happening in other apps since the update though?

When I switched back from a locked screen it said I have to be logged in. I'm normally greeted by smug dog asking me to log in.

-e-
Manually stopping the app doesn't log me out.
it looks like a timeout issue?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 31, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

baka kaba posted:

Its definitely more pronounced in the app but yeah it does happen with other ones

I don't think it's an awful problem

New update in a few days anyway so we'll see if it gets fixed

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a bad theory that the freezing is connected to the Twitter embeds. I don't have much to back that up other than when i punch out to Twitter in chrome from awful i get freezing there as well for a moment.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm not seeing any of these problems at the moment, so please don't change anything thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not seeing any of these problems at the moment, so please don't change anything thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For those not seeing any issues, how often are you tapping images and selecting View Image or tapping embedded tweets, going out to whichever Twitter app is handling it, and returning? It's those two actions which cause it with almost 100% consistency. I should note that if I'm going out to my Twitter app (in my case, Flamingo) that I'm always doing so in order to view pictures in the tweet. For me it seems like the common thread is the viewing of images.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No issues here and I love tweets and images and tap them all the time. OnePlus 3 running Android 9, app v3.6.9

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just swiping between another app and back triggers it for me, nothing to do with embeds or external links specifically

And its clearly a pixel thing, or more specifically the only phones that are likely to have the march version of android

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah if there's another update coming (thanks for letting me know!) might be worth letting it marinate a little more :kiss:

LastInLine posted:

For those not seeing any issues, how often are you tapping images and selecting View Image or tapping embedded tweets, going out to whichever Twitter app is handling it, and returning? It's those two actions which cause it with almost 100% consistency. I should note that if I'm going out to my Twitter app (in my case, Flamingo) that I'm always doing so in order to view pictures in the tweet. For me it seems like the common thread is the viewing of images.

is this for the logout thing, or for the slow thing? Is the app restarting i.e. with the "Awful" splash screen, or is it showing the app straightaway? And if this is the slow thing, which part of it's slow - the splash screen, or the app itself displaying, or is the app loading (the main UI around the thread view) and the web view is taking a while to show up? If it's the latter, does the rest of the UI respond while you're waiting - swipe to other views, tap the menu and get a popup, etc

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'll view a tweet in Firefox a couple of times a day. Sometimes that plonks the app out of memory, sometimes it doesn't. Not seeing slowdowns and not being logged out. Stuck on Android 8.1, app 3.6.9.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't gotten logged out yet in my Pixel 3, but I get the response lag most times I return to the app after being away from it (but not for so long that it gets evicted from memory).

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Also report getting logged out after coming back to the app from a locked screen after some time. This is on a Note 10 Plus.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I've also been getting the login screen each time I open the app. Note 9. OS 10.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

is this for the logout thing, or for the slow thing? Is the app restarting i.e. with the "Awful" splash screen, or is it showing the app straightaway? And if this is the slow thing, which part of it's slow - the splash screen, or the app itself displaying, or is the app loading (the main UI around the thread view) and the web view is taking a while to show up? If it's the latter, does the rest of the UI respond while you're waiting - swipe to other views, tap the menu and get a popup, etc

That was for the slow thing. Coming back from viewing a picture or tweet, the phone freezes for a good 3-5 seconds. It's fine otherwise. Everything works just fine until I view an image (the image opens right away usually) then I'll hit back and it just freezes. Sometimes it will actually get back to the thread and freeze there, like no scrolling or anything. Same thing with the tweet, if I'm going back from Flamingo it just locks up and usually never makes it back to Awful. In both cases it resumes fine after the freeze. There's no slow load, it's just not moving, then it's fine.

For the logout thing, there's no Awful splash. It goes straight to the dog, Every time I stop using the app and go back in, launching from the icon.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Now that we can post new threads with the app I don't care about the little lag.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Getting logged out too. Pixel 3 XL, Android 10

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Echoing the log out issues. Samsung Galaxy J7 prime on android 8.1.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Same. Samsung Galaxy S8. Android 9

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No problems here fwiw, Moto g7power Android 9

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Getting logged out as well. Just installed on Galaxy A71. Was working fine on my Pixel yesterday.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

all right, looks like I tracked down the culprit, there's a cloudflare cookie with a 30 min expiry that's confusing the app

there's a fix gone out, until then it'll stay logged in 30 mins or as long as the app's open, which is until you look at a tweet amirite

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

baka kaba posted:

all right, looks like I tracked down the culprit, there's a cloudflare cookie with a 30 min expiry that's confusing the app

there's a fix gone out, until then it'll stay logged in 30 mins or as long as the app's open, which is until you look at a tweet amirite

Thanks!!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

App review:

Dev fixes "random logout" issues quickly.

The corporate devs of Honeywell's "smart thermostat" app apparently have been unable or haven't cared enough to fix a similar problem that's been in their app for years.

Awful app is officially better than Honeywell's app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

App review:

Dev fixes "random logout" issues quickly.

The corporate devs of Honeywell's "smart thermostat" app apparently have been unable or haven't cared enough to fix a similar problem that's been in their app for years.

Awful app is officially better than Honeywell's app.

Let's be real here, Awful app is better supported than pretty much every third party app out there. I can only think of a handful that come close.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Let's be real here, Awful app is better supported than pretty much every third party app out there. I can only think of a handful that come close.

Hear, hear!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really is amazing. I did think that after 10 plus years of using it exclusively on the PC it would become my primary way to access SA but it has. The update speed is incredible. I like how update notes are worded too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Awful is hands down my most active app on my phone by a good margin. Love it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Same, friend

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is anyone else still getting the logout bug? I haven't seen any Awful updates hit the Play Store and I'm also still getting logged out whenever I leave the app

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah sorry, I got it out as soon as I could but it can take a day to show up on devices, and the Play Store says that because of corona "expect review times of seven days or longer" - I don't know how that affects updates, but that might delay it

if it doesn't show up, and you're comfortable installing it outside of the play store, I uploaded the new release APK here
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases/tag/v3.6.10

I dunno if that'll update the current one or install as a separate app alongside (might want to pick a different app icon in the settings if that's the case) but yeah, if it's gonna take 7 days for a fix to roll out then getting logged out every 30 mins is going to get old real fast!

if anyone got the update yet pls say so, I can't see the stats yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm curious why it isn't affecting everybody.