Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Just went to at prenatal checkup last night, my OB said I should be able to schedule my 20-week ultrasound just fine. Unless things change (which they might, based on the last few days!), I should be able to see my baby again soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I called the imaging place yesterday and they said my appointment was still on and that my husband could come with me. I check their webpage this morning and there is a notice that guests and family are no longer allowed in examination rooms. So I called again, and yeah, they just got the news this morning, so now my husband can’t come with me anymore. :/

At least we both got to see the first ultrasound together.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Our 1 month old is waking herself up with her own farts. This would be amusing if it wasn't at 4am and wasn't followed by a tantrum.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Tried last night to have sex for the first time since baby but it hurt too much. Even with lots of lube, I couldn't tolerate penetration. Probably something I should see my provider about, seeing as I'm two and a half months out since delivery?

Also, I am STILL soaking through bras, shirts, and sheets every single night. I wear breast shells and they collect what they can but apparently I leak so much at night it just cannot be contained. Any advice? I am desperate for a product I can wear that will keep me dry and collect the milk.

Hope everyone is dealing with coronavirus anxiety okay. I have to say I feel like I dodged a bullet delivering in January. I would not want to be contemplating birth now.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

boquiabierta posted:

Tried last night to have sex for the first time since baby but it hurt too much. Even with lots of lube, I couldn't tolerate penetration. Probably something I should see my provider about, seeing as I'm two and a half months out since delivery?

Definitely see your provider and probably a pelvic floor physical therapist.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

Also, I am STILL soaking through bras, shirts, and sheets every single night. I wear breast shells and they collect what they can but apparently I leak so much at night it just cannot be contained. Any advice? I am desperate for a product I can wear that will keep me dry and collect the milk.

I bought one of these https://www.mumdrop.com/ but I had a look through their stockists and I can't find one that'll ship to Spain at the moment. I suspect the UK stockist might but with Brexit they've suspended orders until they know whats going on. Anyway it was a little cumbersome to wear but I was so so so sick of wearing nursing bras to bed and towels never stayed where they needed to be.... hence....a towel bra hybrid thing. I guess you could get a tube top and shove some towelling at the front? Not an ideal solution but yuck I feel for you, I hated leaking so much.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

Hope everyone is dealing with coronavirus anxiety okay. I have to say I feel like I dodged a bullet delivering in January. I would not want to be contemplating birth now.

YMMV but I was noticeably tighter afterwards, even after the pain had gone. It took a long time to work up to penetration, but by all means go see someone as this is anecdotal.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I had a buildup of skin or scar tissue over my episiotomy location that made penetration painful. My midwife was able to cauterize it off. It took two tries since it regrew after the first session, but now I have no pain. The cauterization didn’t hurt one bit, though I was freaking out at the time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had my 12 week NT ultrasound yesterday. Everything is still looking good so far! My husband wasn’t able to come into the room with me though.

It’s going to be an interesting time to be pregnant. I’m half expecting my appointment next week to just be a phone appointment.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Nessa posted:

I had my 12 week NT ultrasound yesterday. Everything is still looking good so far! My husband wasn’t able to come into the room with me though.

It’s going to be an interesting time to be pregnant. I’m half expecting my appointment next week to just be a phone appointment.

I don't think it will be, it's extremely important to monitor blood pressure during pregnancy.

Edit: if it is, please please please buy a blood pressure cuff. I had preeclampsia, and a friend of mine that just hit 32 weeks has been hospitalized since she was 28 weeks for it. Her BP started going up early on and they knew it was going to be a problem almost the whole pregnancy. It's super scary and they are trying to keep her BP down so the baby can keep cooking.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 25, 2020

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sarah posted:

I don't think it will be, it's extremely important to monitor blood pressure during pregnancy.

Edit: if it is, please please please buy a blood pressure cuff. I had preeclampsia, and a friend of mine that just hit 32 weeks has been hospitalized since she was 28 weeks for it. Her BP started going up early on and they knew it was going to be a problem almost the whole pregnancy. It's super scary and they are trying to keep her BP down so the baby can keep cooking.

I could look into getting one!

It’s just that from what I’ve heard in some pregnancy groups, a lot of appointments are getting cancelled, including ultrasounds, with some appointments being moved to video calls.

I would rather see my OB in person, but it looks like prenatal care is drastically changing in some areas, with blood pressure and urine tests being put on the back burner. I’ll just have to see how my OB’s office treats things.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Posting here because as far as I know there isn't a breastfeeding/lactation thread.

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my baby (almost three months now) and this morning I woke up with my left breast hard as a rock and tender/painful on the left side. I nursed my son immediately and the hardness went down but the pain stayed. Then I pumped and tried massaging out that area. No change. I took my temperature and don't have a fever. I do feel nauseated and thought I was going to throw up for a few minutes, then it got better. A few minutes later my left breast is getting hard again. I've had ice to it for probably 15 minutes now.

Any ideas? I don't think it's mastitis because I'd have a fever, and it doesn't seem like a clogged duct. There isn't one discrete spot that's hard and painful, in fact the hardness and the pain aren't even really in the same area. I didn't nurse my son or pump more than usual yesterday or overnight but my supply seems to have shot up suddenly. The pain and nausea I don't know what to attribute to.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

boquiabierta posted:

Posting here because as far as I know there isn't a breastfeeding/lactation thread.

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my baby (almost three months now) and this morning I woke up with my left breast hard as a rock and tender/painful on the left side. I nursed my son immediately and the hardness went down but the pain stayed. Then I pumped and tried massaging out that area. No change. I took my temperature and don't have a fever. I do feel nauseated and thought I was going to throw up for a few minutes, then it got better. A few minutes later my left breast is getting hard again. I've had ice to it for probably 15 minutes now.

Any ideas? I don't think it's mastitis because I'd have a fever, and it doesn't seem like a clogged duct. There isn't one discrete spot that's hard and painful, in fact the hardness and the pain aren't even really in the same area. I didn't nurse my son or pump more than usual yesterday or overnight but my supply seems to have shot up suddenly. The pain and nausea I don't know what to attribute to.

Does sound like a blocked duct to me. I had it a few times and it only became mastitis once, which you definitely don’t want. Keep an eye on your temp and energy levels.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Did you sleep on your left side do you reckon? I had random instances of soreness, at worst clogged ducts but never mastitis. Sometimes even just sleeping on a full side made it feel weird the next day although the hardness and pain were usually in the same sort of area (I assume a combo of stretch and pressure on the alveoli). Maybe it wasn't a clogged duct so much as that specific tissue area got engorged from not fully draining in the last feed and then sleeping. You've done everything I would have done to keep it drained and adequately pummeled, I'd just keep doing what you're doing and keeping it drained as much as possible to give the tissue a chance to calm down.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Change feeding positions? Football hold 4ever.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Massage it in a hot shower, maybe even hand express at the same time, just enough to get rid of the hardness.

I had a couple times that it got bad like that, normally right after a growth spurt. He'd eat more without me really realizing it (he'd just extend nursing sessions), then drop back off and my supply would be too much for a couple days.

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib
Would anyone have any recommendations for online birth/breastfeeding/infant care classes?

I had set us up for the general class at our local hospital, but after the first class they canceled the rest of the series due to everything going on right now. As a first time mom due in June I just want to make sure I am as prepared as possible since I doubt things will be back to normal soon enough for me to get into another local class.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Rufflebutt posted:

Would anyone have any recommendations for online birth/breastfeeding/infant care classes?

I had set us up for the general class at our local hospital, but after the first class they canceled the rest of the series due to everything going on right now. As a first time mom due in June I just want to make sure I am as prepared as possible since I doubt things will be back to normal soon enough for me to get into another local class.

I watched the spinning babies pre-natal class video which was pretty good for pre-birth stuff. I also have a huge pdf booklet of info my birth centre gave me. If you want, I can send it to you or make it available for download.

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib

femcastra posted:

I watched the spinning babies pre-natal class video which was pretty good for pre-birth stuff. I also have a huge pdf booklet of info my birth centre gave me. If you want, I can send it to you or make it available for download.

Thank you, I will check that video out. Fortunately in our first class they handed out a booklet, so it sounds like I have something similar already.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Pinus Porcus posted:

Massage it in a hot shower, maybe even hand express at the same time, just enough to get rid of the hardness.

This is what worked for me when this would happen. My baby had a massive growth spurt starting at ten weeks and it felt like my boobs would never stop leaking or being engorged and uncomfortable... but it will pass. Also, use a heat pack instead of ice, heat increases circulation and might help some of it move down the duct and leak out.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Rufflebutt posted:

We're in Canada and also expecting in June, we were recommended this video series and it seems pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YucfJuziU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had my 13 week appointment the other day and baby still seems to be doing okay. I was told by my OB that I shouldn’t worry about my appointments being cancelled. My next one is the anatomy scan in 5 weeks!

My province just cancelled all non-essential or routine lab work and I need to get my thyroid tested. I’ll have to go to the Dynalife and hopefully they consider pregnancy thyroid checks to be essential care.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I ended up with a 2nd degree tear after giving birth. Today, 11 weeks later, I think I injured this area again. Has anyone had this happen?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I ended up with a 2nd degree tear after giving birth. Today, 11 weeks later, I think I injured this area again. Has anyone had this happen?

I didn't reinjure it, but I had a second degree tear too and it took 6 months to feel normal again. So it might just still be in some stage of healing?

Hope you feel better soon, BFC!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I didn't reinjure it, but I had a second degree tear too and it took 6 months to feel normal again. So it might just still be in some stage of healing?

Hope you feel better soon, BFC!

Thank you, EAC! I hope you’re doing ok.

I’m pretty sure I did something to it, but the injury is internal and not skin level. I’m going to wait a few days and see if I’m still in pain before I call my OB.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Honey Im Homme posted:

We're in Canada and also expecting in June, we were recommended this video series and it seems pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YucfJuziU

Been watching this series too. Easy to follow and all that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009316

TL;DR a NY hospital tested all but one of the 215 women who gave birth over a one month period

4 came in with fever symptoms, all had covid19
29 (13%) presented as healthy, but tested as positive

This is the only study I've seen done outside of China so far

My takeaway is that this isn't especially more severe in pregnant women than the general population, but I'm not a doctor or an epidemiologist so my opinion doesn't really matter

medical thing posted:

Of the 211 women without symptoms, all were afebrile on admission. Nasopharyngeal swabs were obtained from 210 of the 211 women (99.5%) who did not have symptoms of Covid-19; of these women, 29 (13.7%) were positive for SARS-CoV-2. Thus, 29 of the 33 patients who were positive for SARS-CoV-2 at admission (87.9%) had no symptoms of Covid-19 at presentation.

Of the 29 women who had been asymptomatic but who were positive for SARS-CoV-2 on admission, fever developed in 3 (10%) before postpartum discharge (median length of stay, 2 days). Two of these patients received antibiotics for presumed endomyometritis (although 1 patient did not have localizing symptoms), and 1 patient was presumed to be febrile due to Covid-19 and received supportive care. One patient with a swab that was negative for SARS-CoV-2 on admission became symptomatic postpartum; repeat SARS-CoV-2 testing 3 days after the initial test was positive.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I just spent several hours making a baby registry. I doubt I’ll have much opportunity to go browsing baby stores for stuff, so online lists it is. It gave me some good ideas for the nursery though. Found both a changing table and a vintage style crib in shades of aqua blue. I want to find a nice rocker to match that isn’t 1 trillion dollars.

Also looked at other stuff, but furniture, cute clothing and blankets is the funnest to browse.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I was able to get my 20-week ultrasound on April 7th, and my husband was allowed in! Unfortunately he wasn't allowed to attend my last OB appointment on the 17th. My doctor did reassure me that (at this time) he's still going to be allowed in the delivery room as far as we know, but I have no idea how things might change come August. Baby is healthy and doing great, and my husband was able to feel her kick for the first time this past week!

This is definitely not how I wanted my pregnancy to go, in terms of happening during a pandemic, but the fact that the pregnancy itself has been going well has been a really wonderful source of joy for us on a regular basis. I'm worried about getting furloughed at my job, but at the very least we should be okay until at least when my maternity leave comes up. I work at a university so the future stability of my job is dependent on how many students stay enrolled for the fall, but I should be ok for now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Had my anatomy scan the other day. Everything’s looking good! It’s a shame my husband wasn’t allowed to come with me though.

The tech said it looks like we’re having a little girl. :)

I’m hoping to order some maternity clothes today. A few summer dresses and a pair of shorts. I’ll probably need them by the time they get here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like we have a girl on the way. So that's pretty cool. Although litteally all of my friends, my cousins, my wife's friends and her siblings are having or just had a boy. Actually her eldest sister had a girl but she's almost old enough to drive now so they're not likely to share many interests immediately.

At what age do boys and girls stop playing together? Do they ever play together? I'm an only child and all my cousins on both sides were boys so I have zero idea what little girls are like.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Around 4th grade, you'll be fine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Personally I stopped playing with boys during middle school and then started playing with boys again in high school. Most of my childhood I mainly had friends that were boys.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We're having a child in 5 days, lol. Last one was 2 weeks late so we went to the hospital, they induced then gave my wife a c-section. This time she's trying for a 'home' birth at the birthing center, but we'll see what happens.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol and best wishes, you're going to have a helluva week/month/year

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I’m due in 3 weeks, see how it all pans out. Last one went over by 10 days. I’m at a birth centre embedded in a hospital, and was last time too. Good luck!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Just a few weeks away from the due date here. Transitioning from "do we have all the crap we need???" to "baby will be here soon fuuuck"

Edit: I'm sitting in the waiting room while my wife's in an appt. I'm listening to the nurses talking about the constantly changing setup at the hospital here because of the rona.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We moved to a new state last winter and now I'm preggo with #2. Just found out why the area has an absurdly high (like >40%) C-section rate. Some of it is cultural preference and lots of elective ones, the other reason is doctors aren't required to carry malpractice insurance :thumbsup:

This kid is going to come in the midst of the second (or third) wave of the 'roni and it's going to be quiiiiite a time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Welp. About to start night 1 in the hospital with our son after 46 hours of nightmarish labor. Sometime around hour 35 my wife made me promise that I would shut down any attempts to have another kid if she ever brings it up. The kid was pretty big due to gestational diabetes (not too huge, but big enough that if he came a week later it would have been a problem) and came out mostly sideways.

They want to hold us til Sunday morning to make sure everything is fine. Apparently this is standard procedure here and would happen regardless of birth circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

L0cke17 posted:

Welp. About to start night 1 in the hospital with our son after 46 hours of nightmarish labor. Sometime around hour 35 my wife made me promise that I would shut down any attempts to have another kid if she ever brings it up. The kid was pretty big due to gestational diabetes (not too huge, but big enough that if he came a week later it would have been a problem) and came out mostly sideways.

They want to hold us til Sunday morning to make sure everything is fine. Apparently this is standard procedure here and would happen regardless of birth circumstances.

Yeah, she's making you promise that because her memories of it will fade, and are meant to fade, to allow her to consider having more.

Congrats!!!!!! Good luck, focus on keeping the baby alive and the mother sane and you'll do fine. (i.e. don't worry too much about the baby's happiness)