Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knormal posted:

Also obviously this is putting too much thought into it, but why are the ice walls all varied coastline on the inner side and completely flat on the outside?

Coriolis force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Knormal posted:

The sun bros, Sol, Bol, Gol, and Mol.

Also obviously this is putting too much thought into it, but why are the ice walls all varied coastline on the inner side and completely flat on the outside?

The rotation of each section is reversed, so the ice walls must be the circumferences of a set of concentric cylinders.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

!!!

oh, you're not the first to notice that

quote:

In popular culture
Main article: Pepe the Frog
In relation to the 2016 United States presidential election, individuals associated with online message boards, such as 4chan, noted a similarity between Kek and the character Pepe the Frog. This, combined with the frequent use of the term "kek" as a stand-in for the internet slang "lol" (owing to the encryption of the word "lol" to the cipher "kek" in World of Warcraft when said by a Horde player and read by an Alliance player to simulate foreign language between the two factions), which was often paired with images of Pepe, resulted in a resurgence of interest in the ancient deity.[8]

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Captain Monkey posted:

Why do cops of all people use the Punisher logo. It’s so stupid to me.

Many cops sign up for the job not because they want to protect and serve, but to bully and subdue with impunity. It's the perfect job if you have violent tendencies and zero empathy because they get paid to be assholes and face no repercussions, it's all legal, friendo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

hyperhazard posted:

Nice, an actual island of Kek for the alt-right.

Egyptian pantheon making a surprisingly strong showing really

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

for some reason nothing on that map makes me laugh more than neighboring islands named Mu and Moo. presumably each claims they had the name first and has an insulting nickname for the other.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

Tired

Wired
https://twitter.com/catacalypto/status/1245034272550817794?s=20

Edit: tweet deleted here's the photo

Wired:

As one of Are Troops, holding a top-secret code purple ultra clearance, who's just returned from a 6 month deployment with NASA to guard the Ice Wall, I would appreciate it if you'd stop wantonly promulgating the dire secrets I make great sacrifices to guard.

Like, do you know how badthe wifi is out there?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

The rotation of each section is reversed, so the ice walls must be the circumferences of a set of concentric cylinders.

And on the South Pole is where Dingodile is, and if you beat him and his flamethrower, you get a new ability! Convenient

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

Why do cops of all people use the Punisher logo. It’s so stupid to me.

The Political Cartoon thread was kind enough to dig up this really good cartoon about it and other neo-fascist symbols and signs in the post-9-11 word.

About Face

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1244940565575274497

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a few hundred thousand

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mass report that second tweet, "abusive or harmful>directing hate against a protected category"

They'll never do anything about it, but it might make you feel better to have read it

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

LordSaturn posted:

fascists have always loved skull insignia

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

What a loving GHOUL.

Fast Eddie
Feb 9, 2007

Toadmeister indeed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I didn't realize this is the same irritating little toad that was a judge on Top Chef for a few seasons.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
gently caress your legacy, Dad, I’m going to use the status you brought me to become a professional rear end in a top hat!

Edit because genealogy before coffee is never a great idea.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Apr 1, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doc Hawkins posted:

for some reason nothing on that map makes me laugh more than neighboring islands named Mu and Moo. presumably each claims they had the name first and has an insulting nickname for the other.

They've been there since ancient times, so they are justified.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Data Graham posted:

They've been there since ancient times, so they are justified.

They also invented the ice-cream van.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You know what, we really don't need to hear the next two arguments.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, they’ve been feeding the poor into the grinder that feeds the money machine in the U.K. for the past decade, it’s not that crazy a pivot to try to move to the elderly now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Picnic Princess posted:

Many cops sign up for the job not because they want to protect and serve, but to bully and subdue with impunity. It's the perfect job if you have violent tendencies and zero empathy because they get paid to be assholes and face no repercussions, it's all legal, friendo.

Also, having unaccountable power over other people makes you a worse person. Finally, if you somehow happen to be good, the bad cops will get rid of you one way or another.

Always screencap.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/douzmanian/status/1245235822141603841

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I can’t parse that at all. Think who’s related? What does any of that mean?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's a commentary on how the poster thinks "men working" is gendered language and reflects the larger trend of inherent problems in professions like this where women are made to feel excluded or unwelcome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Using a “men at work” sign is making it so women don’t enter the construction business. Chastising workers about this is doing feminism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/coolp1np/status/1245305470333497344

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It's a commentary on how the poster thinks "men working" is gendered language and reflects the larger trend of inherent problems in professions like this where women are made to feel excluded or unwelcome.

It should be noted that the original tweet is from an actual social sciences professor working in the field of women and work so she's probably aware of all the research that actually shows language like that making women feel excluded from those professions. Calling out some random worker isn't going to make change, but all the people trying to dunk on her for caring about a sign are idiots too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Using a “men at work” sign is making it so women don’t enter the construction business. Chastising workers about this is doing feminism.

The way it was phrased totally scrambled my brain, but now I can at least figure out what they were trying to say.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

It should be noted that the original tweet is from an actual social sciences professor working in the field of women and work so she's probably aware of all the research that actually shows language like that making women feel excluded from those professions. Calling out some random worker isn't going to make change, but all the people trying to dunk on her for caring about a sign are idiots too.

There's a mindset academics can fall into called "being up your own rear end" that causes them to lose perspective on everything that isn't specifically related to the field they study. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're not an idiot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MizPiz posted:

There's a mindset academics can fall into called "being up your own rear end" that causes them to lose perspective on everything that isn't specifically related to the field they study. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're not an idiot.

That's what I mean. This is the field she studies. This kind of thing is well established in social studies and feminist academia. She just didn't apply it well.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

"Unfairness," like you can just talk to the virus' manager and get them to change its policy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

"Unfairness," like you can just talk to the virus' manager and get them to change its policy.

Today I had to tell a customer that we can't give an estimate for when testing will resume because the pandemic has closed virtually all of our testing sites, and she asked if there was anyone else she could speak to. I recommend God.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elviscat posted:

As one of Are Troops, holding a top-secret code purple ultra clearance, who's just returned from a 6 month deployment with NASA to guard the Ice Wall, I would appreciate it if you'd stop wantonly promulgating the dire secrets I make great sacrifices to guard.

Like, do you know how badthe wifi is out there?

oh, cool, you were stationed in Antarctica?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Haleaziz/status/1245381665976803328

Hamed's not the idiot.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1245236928418439168?s=20

op not idiot

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Just how much alcohol do these people need?

I know he's Australian but still

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

zakharov posted:

Going off myself at the worst, a fifth of liquor and a couple high ABV beers a day, or a fifth and a six pack of regular beer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

My all-time high scoring patient was up to 2L of vodka on an average day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zakharov posted:

You try being alone with me for an extended period of time :colbert: