Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kangxi posted:

This is likely what is called a "dead cat bounce"
Well the cat is still in the air for now and officially a bull.

I'd certainly expect it to get worse but the Fed promised to keep printing as much as necessary so who knows, with enough stimulus they might be able to keep this from catering much further a-la 1930.

For content, we might be there:

Or maybe not and it'll putter around this level for a while before recovering. Who the hell knows. I missed cashing out early so I'm along for the ride either way now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Low hanging fruit, I know, but still

This is one of the times I would lie on a survey.

Of course the economy worries me, but I’m not going to say that and pump up a statistic that bad people will try to use to trade lives for money.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mobby_6kl posted:

I never knew subreddit moderation choices could have such an effect on the economy

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I love that any research publishing graphs of unemployment claims is just going to be wrecked to look like the printer messed up for the foreseeable future

Though I guess it makes a handy reference. Vertical line? March 2020 right there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This will become an iconic front page.

I almost want to order a copy.

DarkHorse posted:

I love that any research publishing graphs of unemployment claims is just going to be wrecked to look like the printer messed up for the foreseeable future

Though I guess it makes a handy reference. Vertical line? March 2020 right there

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wanted to post that! :argh:

I think it's pretty much the exemplar for how to make data stand out.

E: the NYT, not the meme about the best dead gay means of power production available.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Memento posted:

Ha ha ha

ha ha

ha

gently caress

What's the tiny little spike that happens every year around the end of June or first part of July... summer school?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

Low hanging fruit, I know, but still

Wait. What??

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Stop! Collaborate and LISTen > PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: Wait. What??

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

they're using a pie chart for some reason to represent the % of people who responded 'yes' when asked if they were concerned abt each thing

maybe they didn't want to show that like a third of people don't give a poo poo about the economy??

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I was mostly confused by the fact that over 150% of people responded

Perhaps some sort of ranked preference, or dead people voting was involved

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HiroProtagonist posted:

My guess it was just a question like "which of the following are you worried about re: the Coronavirus" and you could just fill out as many as you wanted.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kangxi posted:

This is likely what is called a "dead cat bounce"

As was posted later, the other term for where we might be is a "bull trap," which is where the high point on the graph starts to go down sharp, then gets propped up by a bunch of people making a bunch of quick money, and then the fact that there's nothing there underneath it all yawns open and devours the whole loving thing

Or, to quote Alice Avizandum, "Line doesn't go down, line loving stops."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HiroProtagonist posted:

They just asked a loooooooooooot of people !

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

My favorite part is the outright lie in the description: nearly 3.3 million initial claims were not literally "filed" last week, that is a seasonally adjusted estimate. There were 2.9 million claims actually filed (almost 15% less), but they seem to be using a proportional seasonality adjustment, as if the seasonal effect applied uniformly to the entirety of the claims and not just to the typical 200k that would have lost their jobs that week regardless of the current crisis.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mobby_6kl posted:

Well the cat is still in the air for now and officially a bull.

I'd certainly expect it to get worse but the Fed promised to keep printing as much as necessary so who knows, with enough stimulus they might be able to keep this from catering much further a-la 1930.

Or maybe not and it'll putter around this level for a while before recovering. Who the hell knows. I missed cashing out early so I'm along for the ride either way now.

As long as you have intelligent, competent leadership there's probably nothing to worry ab-hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How worried are you about coronavirus?
-Very worried
-Somewhat worried
-Pretty calm
-Not worried at all

Colors are the age groups

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kennel posted:

-Very worried
-Somewhat worried
-Pretty calm
-Not worried at all

:monocle:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kennel posted:

-Very worried
-Somewhat worried
-Pretty calm
-Not worried at all

i had to stare at that for like at least a minute or two to pick up on what they were doing and why, yikes

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
That's just an overly complicated way to say "young people don't give a poo poo about olds," right?

Or is there something specific I'm missing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's just an overly complicated way to say "young people don't give a poo poo about olds," right?

Or is there something specific I'm missing.

The young are slightly less worried, but at the first glance it looks like they don't give a poo poo.

"Not worried at all" was 4-5% of all answers, but it gets the same area as the options that were ten times more common.

e. I think they probably wanted to do this, but didn't pay too much attention.

e2. (like Kantesu said below)

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Mar 27, 2020

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The big problem is the bars are arranged by answer, when they should have been arranged by age group. Notice how the percentages for the bars don't add up to 100% for any of the responses. But the percentages when you count up by color (corresponding to the age group), for the most part, do. There seem to be some rounding errors as 15-24 and 35-49 only add up to 99%, and 65-79 adds up to 101%.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kennel posted:

The young are slightly less worried, but at the first glance it looks like they don't give a poo poo.

"Not worried at all" was 4-5% of all answers, but it gets the same area as the options that were ten times more common.

e. I think they probably wanted to do this, but didn't pay too much attention.

e2. (like Kantesu said below)

Kantesu posted:

The big problem is the bars are arranged by answer, when they should have been arranged by age group. Notice how the percentages for the bars don't add up to 100% for any of the responses. But the percentages when you count up by color (corresponding to the age group), for the most part, do. There seem to be some rounding errors as 15-24 and 35-49 only add up to 99%, and 65-79 adds up to 101%.

Ok yeah, this is what I figured with the ratios on display being so obviously intentional fuckery

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wow, China has so many more!

Again, the proliferation of bad graphery in the news media makes them an easy target, but still.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Memento posted:

Wow, China has so many more!

Again, the proliferation of bad graphery in the news media makes them an easy target, but still.

Can't wait to see the same, unchanged graph except US will have 100,000+

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol came here to post this

https://twitter.com/woke8yearold/status/1243547718439575552?s=20

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't even need to translate this. The language of bad charts is international.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Paladinus posted:

I don't even need to translate this. The language of bad charts is international.

Bar graph for the trend and a line graph for the delta is exactly the opposite choice that I would make. At least they didn't make one a pie chart, or put both graphs on the same axis.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I... don't even think that's a real bar graph. I mean, it looks like a bar graph, but the scale isn't linear. It doesn't even work out to be logarithmic. I'm reasonably confident they just took a slice of the normal distribution and put their numbers on top of it.

EDIT:
This is what the data should look like if the Y axis was a linear scale:

This is what they would look like if it was a logarithmic scale:

And this is a normal distribution.

I rest my case.

Karia has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Mar 31, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

jjack229 posted:

Bar graph for the trend and a line graph for the delta is exactly the opposite choice that I would make. At least they didn't make one a pie chart, or put both graphs on the same axis.

I've been keeping track of government virus data in my region, so I can view trends. I also have columns for the daily cases, and a line for the delta. Why would you do it differently?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I see in this time of rapid escalation of bad-graph capabilities the us military is still maintaining its dominance

https://twitter.com/OperatorMaid/status/1245154580054319105

e: ok turns out the thing is from 2015, but still

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is it awful because California, Delaware and Colorado could be colored yellow?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Merkinman posted:

Is it awful because California, Delaware and Colorado could be colored yellow?

Yellow and red stripes.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

First/Last letter abbreviations are the worst and these three have always annoyed me the most:
IA - two strong options of IO or IW but they went with a weak third option
LA - LU is my preference but LO is also superior; I can't not think of Los Angeles whenever I see this one
GA - bad but I'm also not set on what would be a good alternative...perhaps GG?

Other mentions:
ME - not a good one but all other options impinge on another state
NE - I was going to sarcastically write that it was nice of them to not use the superior NB to avoid confusion with New Brunswick...but it turns that was exactly what happened in 1969!

Honourable mention to Quebec for changing to the more sensible QC from PQ (La province de Québec) in the early 90s.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Missouri should be in its own dumb special category of "desperately trying to camouflage with Montana for whatever reason"

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I almost had Missouri on my list too but they suffer a similar problem to Maine. Their obvious alternatives would be either MU or MR which aren't much better than MO IMO.

MZ is clearly the correct choice for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Some good ones here:
https://medium.com/message/amazing-military-infographics-1ba60bdc32e7