Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

I would say spoiler tag it the day it airs, but then after that it's fair game to talk about in here.
Yeah. After it airs is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Re:Zero Episode 13 Directors Cut:

Watch the after credits. Do it right now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

only know tangential info from trailer and deductive reasoning
i never caught them perfectly timing the "I wish I was there" part of the ending song to the cut to Emilia and I started laughing at how perfect it was

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Surprised there aren't more fans here)

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Grouchio posted:

hahahahaha :suicide:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

(Surprised there aren't more fans here)

I've been busy all day but I swear I'll watch the episode and post about it as soon as I can. I am super interested in what was added here since I'm not a LN reader so I have no idea what wasn't adapted before.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Grouchio posted:

Oh geeze is that why the letter was blank?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Oh geeze is that why the letter was blank?

:v:

My big complaint is how they subtitled it. To get the full impact, you can't linger on "Who". They should have written it as "Rem"...."Who's that?" Either way, I was spoiled about that twist right after the series first aired, and I remember flipping my poo poo so hard that it was originally cut.

So, outside of (LN/Manga only reveal)Al apparently also being isekai'd and having his own insane backstory, are there any major plot or character points we missed out from the director's cut that we should be aware of?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 2, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

:v:

My big complaint is how they subtitled it. To get the full impact, you can't linger on "Who". They should have written it as "Rem"...."Who's that?" Either way, I was spoiled about that twist right after the series first aired, and I remember flipping my poo poo so hard that it was originally cut.

So, outside of (LN/Manga only reveal)Al apparently also being isekai'd and having his own insane backstory, are there any major plot or character points we missed out from the director's cut that we should be aware of?

Al being Isekaied was in the Directors Cut.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

You moda fuckah how dare you make me feel

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Uhhh, when? It was supposed to be in ep 7 during the carriage ride with Priscilla, right? And they mention the waterfall at the edge of the world. That's never brought up in the anime.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It was absolutely the correct decision not to put that scene at the end of the original broadcast.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Even just having one cour gap after that bombshell is intolerable, I can't imagine how terrible it would have been to sit on that for three years.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welp the day hath passed. The scene in it's entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-_VtDy8jU

I WAITED FOUR YEARS FOR THIS :kheldragar:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yawgmoft posted:

Even just having one cour gap after that bombshell is intolerable, I can't imagine how terrible it would have been to sit on that for three years.

We were supposed to have season 2 next week. I think we can blame Covid.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if season 2 will open with a repeat of the post credit scene because anyone who didn't watch the directors cut will be so confused if not.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is there a list of all the changes between original and directors because i dont really want to watch the whole series again

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

is there a list of all the changes between original and directors because i dont really want to watch the whole series again
MAL has a pretty good list. By and large the changes are either brought over from the BDs and/or minor updates and edits, but episode 7 had the whole Julius and Subaru fight redrawn and Episode 13 got some new facelifts beyond the extra epilogue as well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Didn't watch the director's cut; can someone remind me: did Subaru manage to establish or otherwise prove to the rest of them that the whale was actually wiping people from existence? Or does nobody but him know this?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Argue posted:

Didn't watch the director's cut; can someone remind me: did Subaru manage to establish or otherwise prove to the rest of them that the whale was actually wiping people from existence? Or does nobody but him know this?

People seem to just take his word for it since it is impossible to prove, and he's shown he has access to lots of other random esoteric information.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Argue posted:

At one point during the whale fight some of the leaders note that they've taken losses from their squads but can't remember who they lost. Presumably because they assigned a set number of people to each squad before the operation and the numbers didn't match up later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
People seemed to have known the Whale can do that anyway.

As they gave squads specific numbers and if members were erased they would know, cause the numbers did not match up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yeah, people know the whale can do this, and the army prepared as well as they could for it, but it's still hard to internalize you're having stuff retconned out of your memories, especially in the heat of the moment and compounded with the whale's mist of madness.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Rewatched this with the director's cut. I'd forgotten how brutal the middle of the series got.

Watched the post credits scene on the last episode. I am quite distressed.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

lol that would've been a completely insufferable cliffhanger if it happened in the original airing.

I should give this a re-watch. I remember really enjoying the arc where Subaru has to build that coalition.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Do we have any hints on how far s2 will get towards catching up with the manga or LN? Also how many side story/one offs/ character backstory shorts. Are out there? And at what point should an anime watcher start to look into reading them?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sazabi posted:

Do we have any hints on how far s2 will get towards catching up with the manga or LN? Also how many side story/one offs/ character backstory shorts. Are out there? And at what point should an anime watcher start to look into reading them?

S1 ended most of the way through Volume 9, and if S2 is a double cour covering the entire next arc (which it should) then it'll finish Volume 15. There are currently 22 volumes published in Japan and 14 officially released in English.

There's also currently 4 EX volumes (all available in English) dedicated to sidestories, plus a couple short chapters and interludes in the main novels themselves that the anime didn't quite cover.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Do they have another OVA lined up after the next season? Did they actually do the mayo chapter, or was that just in the trailer for memory snow?

Also REM: IF..., when?

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The Frozen Bond is coming to Crunchyroll
https://twitter.com/ReZero_En/status/1247201404730716160?s=20

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So....is this a separate movie or the name of the next story arc?

Edit: Sweet
vvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 7, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's a prequel sidestory.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Well the movie was pretty good, I was hoping it would explain the whole "I'm going to try to destroy the world if emilia dies" thing though. I guess that's a completely personal thing and not related to the contract at all.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
okay, i am watching the directors cut now that it's all out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Season 2 confirmed for 26 episodes to cover all of Arc 4! :woop:

We might actually see it in a month

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 23, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The fourth arc really has a ridiculous amount of content, to the extent where it almost seems like it would be a little tight even with a full 26 episodes. If I think back on the first 4 arcs (I still haven't read any beyond that; I should get around to that at some point), most of the stuff that stands out to me is from the fourth.

I actually didn't really care much about the spoiler thing people are talking about (I feel like Rem didn't really have much more to explore as a character, so transforming her into just being a plot device/motivation was probably a good thing and allowed this season to focus more on other characters), but there's a lot of other stuff coming up that is really great. Some great characters introduced in this seasons (or past characters developed much more).

I won't mention anything even in spoiler tags, not so much because of there being shocking twists (though there's at least one thing that kinda qualifies as that), but because some of the things that happen were things that were genuinely interesting, particularly for this genre.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Ytlaya posted:

The fourth arc really has a ridiculous amount of content, to the extent where it almost seems like it would be a little tight even with a full 26 episodes. If I think back on the first 4 arcs (I still haven't read any beyond that; I should get around to that at some point), most of the stuff that stands out to me is from the fourth.

I actually didn't really care much about the spoiler thing people are talking about (I feel like Rem didn't really have much more to explore as a character, so transforming her into just being a plot device/motivation was probably a good thing and allowed this season to focus more on other characters), but there's a lot of other stuff coming up that is really great. Some great characters introduced in this seasons (or past characters developed much more).

I won't mention anything even in spoiler tags, not so much because of there being shocking twists (though there's at least one thing that kinda qualifies as that), but because some of the things that happen were things that were genuinely interesting, particularly for this genre.

Am I reading you right? Do named primary characters fail to be saved by one and only true hero of the story?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I will defend that Arc 4 (the WN) is one of the greatest sagas I've ever read in fiction. July will be a whopper.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Without any spoilers, is there a consensus on the extended episodes or director’s cut or whatever they called it? Worth a rewatch to check those out?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Agronox posted:

Without any spoilers, is there a consensus on the extended episodes or director’s cut or whatever they called it? Worth a rewatch to check those out?

Might as well if you have time for a refresher. I like how the director's cut doubles up the episodes, so there's less intro/outro crap to deal with. They cleaned up a lot of the animation, and now that the OVA is out, you can watch that in it's proper slot in the timeline. Really, there's only maybe 10 - 15min worth of new footage total, but I think it's worth it. Especially if you haven't seen it since its original airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

if anything rewatch the last episode, fully.