Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Clowner posted:

Finally got my first 7-x in Ranked Draft. Turns out it was as simple as drafting four (4) Final Deaths and at least one of every other black removal in the set, plus some escapers.

Draft, Deck

Congrats!

But you should have played Skola Grovedancer instead of Grim Physician, and another Chimera over the 1/3 artifact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm going to miss those stupid workshop decks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

I'm going to miss those stupid workshop decks.

Me too. That was a really fun 48 hours.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Triple Goblin Warchief + Skirk Prospector is a wonderful combo and I'm glad they made a special mode to showcase it

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I made it to 4-3 with a MILL deck on M19 draft. That counts as a win for me.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

turboraton posted:

I made it to 4-3 with a MILL deck on M19 draft. That counts as a win for me.

If you had patient rebuilding you should have expected 6-7 wins

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Im 7-2 so far with this despicable Brawl deck from a CGB video, and the first loss was due to some pretty bad misplays on my side. The part I don't like is that matches can be super long

Commander
1 Thryx, the Sudden Storm (THB) 76

Deck
1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
1 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
1 No Escape (WAR) 63
1 Emergence Zone (WAR) 245
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Bone to Ash (M20) 48
1 Negate (M20) 69
1 Tale's End (M20) 77
1 Unsummon (M20) 78
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48
1 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Opt (ELD) 59
1 Turn into a Pumpkin (ELD) 69
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Tome of Legends (ELD) 332
1 Ashiok's Erasure (THB) 43
1 Nadir Kraken (THB) 55
1 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
1 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
1 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
1 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
1 Labyrinth of Skophos (THB) 243
21 Island (UND) 90

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

Torbran is almost to strong. I think it leads to boring games.
Yarok is probably the strongest of the fun to play commanders.

My favourite brawl decks are Judith and Teyesa. They are both in the starter decks (I think) and make for fun combos.

Alright I've decided to go with Yarok! I play Mono Red (as well as Temur / Glint Eye Elementals) so I think I want to try to play something that I like a little more (Glint Eye Elemental where I abuse the gently caress out of Yarok, Omnath and Risen Reef)

EDIT:

Can someone explain Uro to me? The way I read it is, if you cast it from your hand, it pretty much goes right to the graveyard, then next turn (or maybe even the same turn) you can exile 5 cards from your graveyard and pay BBGG to bring it back into play. At that point it acts like a normal creature right? SO like optimally you want to get Uro into the GY first before you even cast it correct?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 1, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SalTheBard posted:

Alright I've decided to go with Yarok! I play Mono Red (as well as Temur / Glint Eye Elementals) so I think I want to try to play something that I like a little more (Glint Eye Elemental where I abuse the gently caress out of Yarok, Omnath and Risen Reef)

EDIT:

Can someone explain Uro to me? The way I read it is, if you cast it from your hand, it pretty much goes right to the graveyard, then next turn (or maybe even the same turn) you can exile 5 cards from your graveyard and pay UUGG to bring it back into play. At that point it acts like a normal creature right? SO like optimally you want to get Uro into the GY first before you even cast it correct?

Casting him normally is great value and worth doing when you don't have to put something onto the board. Thats the best way to get him into the yard unless you are running some sort of self mill Lazav shenanigans, but still 1ug draw a card gain 3 life and put a land into play is very good.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Uro's so nice you cast him twice!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bugsy posted:

Casting him normally is great value and worth doing when you don't have to put something onto the board. Thats the best way to get him into the yard unless you are running some sort of self mill Lazav shenanigans, but still 1ug draw a card gain 3 life and put a land into play is very good.

Especially with Yarok holy loving poo poo. I milled myself to death between Risen Reef, Uro, and Guardian Project drawing me a fuckload of cards. I got Loaming Shaman and was like "Oh gently caress here we go!" but then I got Ashioked and only had 4 cards in my library left :(

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

When the only thing on my board is a freshly-escaped Kroxa, and my opponent slams down a topdecked Elspeth Conquers Death.

I will never get tired of that little pause, followed by 'Oops.'

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Moxie posted:

If you had patient rebuilding you should have expected 6-7 wins

Wish I did! I did with psychic corrosion

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BioThermo posted:

When the only thing on my board is a freshly-escaped Kroxa, and my opponent slams down a topdecked Elspeth Conquers Death.

I will never get tired of that little pause, followed by 'Oops.'

lmao people are so used to using ECD as a clean answer to Uro that it just becomes second nature. I'd probably do this poo poo too, it took me a minute to figure out what was going on in your anecdote.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
10-1 So far with Covertgoblue's Thryx deck posted upthread. Only loss was today when I snap conceded vs. a T3 shifting ceratops when I was on the draw.

1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
1 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
1 Tome of Legends (ELD) 332
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
1 Turn into a Pumpkin (ELD) 69
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
20 Island (ANA) 57
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Emergence Zone (WAR) 245
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Labyrinth of Skophos (THB) 243
1 Nadir Kraken (THB) 55
1 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
1 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57
1 Ashiok's Erasure (THB) 43
1 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48
1 Opt (ELD) 59
1 Unsummon (M20) 78
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Finale of Revelation (WAR) 51
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
1 Negate (M20) 69
1 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
1 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 No Escape (WAR) 63
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Bone to Ash (M20) 48
1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Tale's End (M20) 77

1 Thryx, the Sudden Storm (THB) 76

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Hello come criticize my draft and offer deck advice please

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/dce1e1aed30d460fa7aed2253e5739ec

I tried to stay open pack 1 but seemed blue white was the obvious choice pack 2. Seemed to be rewarded

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/dce1e1aed30d460fa7aed2253e5739ec

This deck is a little top heavy, so not entirely sure. Thinking shatter helps that? Could see adding a lower curve and removing it though

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I know Final Death is good, but is it really better than Heliod's Intervention p1p1? Non rhetorical question.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Somberbrero posted:

I know Final Death is good, but is it really better than Heliod's Intervention p1p1? Non rhetorical question.

I passed it in my last b/u draft too, I should value it more apparently. Was thinking black/white with the orzhov 5 mana card pack 1 too

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That Thryx deck seems very good but I’ve narrowly beaten it three times with Niv reborn.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Final Death is not better than Heliod's Intervention P1P1

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Boco_T posted:

Final Death is not better than Heliod's Intervention P1P1

So I have gathered

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Squiggly posted:

Hello come criticize my draft and offer deck advice please

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/dce1e1aed30d460fa7aed2253e5739ec

I tried to stay open pack 1 but seemed blue white was the obvious choice pack 2. Seemed to be rewarded

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/dce1e1aed30d460fa7aed2253e5739ec

This deck is a little top heavy, so not entirely sure. Thinking shatter helps that? Could see adding a lower curve and removing it though

P1P2: Imo Dreamshaper Shaman is stronger than Witness of Tomorrow.

P1P6: Sentinels eyes is pretty easy to find late, i'd grab another amulet here, a second one gives you a lot of space to play all three colors you have so far.

P2P10: Elite Instructor sucks and the 1/3 flyer works better with your auras (hopefully you don't have to play it though)

The curve kind of sucks but it's not like you passed up on good two drops at any point. I guess you could swap dawn evangel for a towering wave mystic. The ability on evangel never seems to be relevant anyways.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I think either is defensible, especially on arena where black is underdrafted by the bots.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
What is the difference between ranked standard and the normal best of three ranked standard?

I made a jank rear end Cavalcade deck with no rares or mythics, and I would be destroyed if anybody sideboarded. Is there better rewards or anything like that?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ScottyJSno posted:

What is the difference between ranked standard and the normal best of three ranked standard?

I made a jank rear end Cavalcade deck with no rares or mythics, and I would be destroyed if anybody sideboarded. Is there better rewards or anything like that?

if it says "Traditional Ranked" it's best of 3, regular Ranked it's best of 1

they'll both give you progress to ranking up

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

P1P2: Imo Dreamshaper Shaman is stronger than Witness of Tomorrow.

P1P6: Sentinels eyes is pretty easy to find late, i'd grab another amulet here, a second one gives you a lot of space to play all three colors you have so far.

P2P10: Elite Instructor sucks and the 1/3 flyer works better with your auras (hopefully you don't have to play it though)

The curve kind of sucks but it's not like you passed up on good two drops at any point. I guess you could swap dawn evangel for a towering wave mystic. The ability on evangel never seems to be relevant anyways.

Elite Instructor sucks most of the time but I don't mind it when I'm on a deck with a couple gamechanging cards (Archon, Shatter to a lesser extent)

Thaumaturge's Familiar should def be in the deck to wear Insight/Presence, they already got one in the board.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I snap picked Thassa P1P1 and every card I saw from then til P2P1 made me sad.
Draft
Was there a better way to do this? What direction should I try to go from P2?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I think you take a piece of black removal there.

actually it looks like it's being cut

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Darox posted:

Draft

I don't think you'd be wrong for picking thassa but I would've considered renata instead simply because there's no good blue in the first pack and I've found thassa to rely on good synergy in draft. I probably would've pivoted to black immediately instead of forcing blue and picking a lot of fairly mediocre cards & white wouldn't have entered the question

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I don't think you'd be wrong for picking thassa but I would've considered renata instead simply because there's no good blue in the first pack and I've found thassa to rely on good synergy in draft. I probably would've pivoted to black immediately instead of forcing blue and picking a lot of fairly mediocre cards & white wouldn't have entered the question

What do you mean by picking renata because there's no good blue in the first pack? Like any good blue is likely to not wheel anyway, right? I think you pick the stronger card P1P1 regardless of the rest of that particular pack?

That being said, blue is definitely weak overall in this set.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Look Around You posted:

What do you mean by picking renata because there's no good blue in the first pack? Like any good blue is likely to not wheel anyway, right? I think you pick the stronger card P1P1 regardless of the rest of that particular pack?

there's more to my sentence than what you're responding to

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Darox posted:

Draft

You took a bunch of extremely mediocre white cards chasing that Insight, and the packs were pretty weak. You could have taken Charger and some Funeral Rites and started towards black, because you were taking some stinkers like Unicorn and Rumbling Sentry. Basically pack 1 was a write off and you're best off just seeing what's open going forwards.

Pack 2 you probably just want Final Death and hopefully something clear comes this way because right now your deck has nothing going and the Omen/Tymaret are better than nearly other card in your pool.

Look Around You posted:

What do you mean by picking renata because there's no good blue in the first pack? Like any good blue is likely to not wheel anyway? I think you pick the stronger card P1P1 regardless of the rest of that particular pack?

Many people think green is the worst colour in the set because the quality of commons drops WAY off after the first three. Even if you went green you'd have Renata, Warbriar Blessing and then.... a shitload of Grovedancers?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I mean yeah, but a major part of that sentence just doesn't make sense to me I guess? I mean it's fine if you're arguing renata is better than thassa on other merits, but "there's not good blue elsewhere in the pack" doesn't seem that strong of an argument to me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

the sentence sucked because it implied that they should have know that there would be no blue... before seeing the 2nd pick?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
y'all are super testy today

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

little munchkin posted:

I think either is defensible, especially on arena where black is underdrafted by the bots.

Black is regardless the least likely color to be open from all of them, so I wouldn't bank too much on it being open ahead of time. White is much easier to get cards for in an average draft so I'd likely always P1P1 Heliod's Intervention over Final Death, that card is really good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flatluigi posted:

y'all are super testy today

I'm seeing more "confused" than "testy" to be honest.

Nobody understands your explanation, and they want you to elaborate on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

I'm seeing more "confused" than "testy" to be honest.

Nobody understands your explanation, and they want you to elaborate on it.

buddy posts incomprehensibly and then tells people to look at the post a second time then says we're testy lmao

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I might be poo poo at Theros draft but I took 7-2 C19 with this... thing 😤😤

https://www.17lands.com/draft/8ae7365d7abb4531a3106412a957e35f - draft picks

https://www.17lands.com/deck/8ae7365d7abb4531a3106412a957e35f - finished deck

i just fuckin' love drafting core sets idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I;d forgotten just how much loving catoven there is at this level

Sigh.

I changed over to Temur Adventures, didn't see it for 3 or 4 matches. Changes back to monored, right back to catoven. I know the matchmaker isn't out to gently caress me, right?