Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The CineD Z-Fest Stream is LIVE!!!! (For testing purposes)

Here is the GitHub link to tap into the Z-Fest stream on CyTube

Here is the CineD Discord, where you can find the Z-Fest channel for live chat

Please try the link and make sure that you are able to stream without issue. We wouldn't want you to try and massage your occipital lobe with z-grade transmissions and miss out on the fun because technology fails you.

If you have issues, try restarting your computer, trying a different browser, or reading the help section on the website.

Please post any issues you have in the thread or on discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Chad Jihad posted:

Another season of Narcos came out in February???

Yeah but I wasn’t feeling it by the end; too many seasons of scumbags rising and falling, “Good Guys” handcuffed by the powers that be, and endless Latin American corruption. The show never bothers digging any deeper than that.

They were working hard to set up a third Narcos Mexico season at the end but eh, it’ll probably just be more of the same. Unless they really change up the show I don’t think I need to see any more of it.

The Escobar stuff worked better because he was such a larger than life character but it’s hard to follow that up.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Operation Odessa was a pretty fun watch

wit
Jul 26, 2011

david_a posted:

Yeah but I wasn’t feeling it by the end; too many seasons of scumbags rising and falling, “Good Guys” handcuffed by the powers that be, and endless Latin American corruption. The show never bothers digging any deeper than that.

They were working hard to set up a third Narcos Mexico season at the end but eh, it’ll probably just be more of the same. Unless they really change up the show I don’t think I need to see any more of it.

The Escobar stuff worked better because he was such a larger than life character but it’s hard to follow that up.

I could only get into Escobar's run too. Nothing after grabbed me at all. It seems to be a trend now for a show to peak first season. Used to take a few series just for a show to find its groove.

veni veni veni posted:

There was a Joe Exotic megathread years ago. I've been looking for it but can't find it.

Feels like its time for a new one. Ask a mod maybe?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wit posted:

I could only get into Escobar's run too. Nothing after grabbed me at all. It seems to be a trend now for a show to peak first season. Used to take a few series just for a show to find its groove.

It was very much a Sopranos situation where you have that one character that's the core of the entire show and without that there's really nothing there. Once Pablo was gone, you had these various side characters that were fine with their limited roles but now a few of them were all of the sudden expected to carry the show and it just doesn't work. It's like if Tony died and they then decided to do a whole season with just Paulie and Silvio. Wouldn't be anywhere close to the same show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Basebf555 posted:

It was very much a Sopranos situation where you have that one character that's the core of the entire show and without that there's really nothing there. Once Pablo was gone, you had these various side characters that were fine with their limited roles but now a few of them were all of the sudden expected to carry the show and it just doesn't work. It's like if Tony died and they then decided to do a whole season with just Paulie and Silvio. Wouldn't be anywhere close to the same show.

Man I would watch the hell out of Killing Paulie though.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I was trying to think of some recommendations to follow Tiger King, such as Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (Prime), Stevie (Prime) and American Movie (?).

Then I saw IMDB put out a list:
Grizzly Man (Prime/Hoopla)
Roar (rent on FandangoNow)
Vernon, Florida (Criterion)
Thin Blue Line (Criterion)
Juvenile Court (1973) (Kanopy)
The Jinx (HBO)
Forensic Files (IMDB/Netflix)

What would be some other examples at the intersection of crime docs and rednecksploitation?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

fenix down posted:

I was trying to think of some recommendations to follow Tiger King, such as Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (Prime), Stevie (Prime) and American Movie (?).

The Jinx (HBO)

What would be some other examples at the intersection of crime docs and rednecksploitation?

Brother's Keeper, for sure. From the directors who went on to do Paradise Lost. Also Herzog's Into the Abyss. Only available as rentals in the US, but Into the Abyss is on Prime in the UK, fwiw

Also not really true crime but absolutely has the hixploitation feel, Finders Keepers (available on all of Prime/Youtube/Hoopla in the US)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 2, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fenix down posted:

The Jinx (HBO)

Crazy Love (2007) is on Hoopla and Tubi and is great for this. Errol Morris's Tabloid (2010) is also crazy like Tiger King, and it pops up on streaming often, but is currently nowhere to be found.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Franchescanado posted:

Crazy Love (2007) is on Hoopla and Tubi and is great for this. Errol Morris's Tabloid (2010) is also crazy like Tiger King, and it pops up on streaming often, but is currently nowhere to be found.

Can't believe I forgot about Tabloid, yeah, that's exactly this kind of thing

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Allyn posted:

Yeah. It's hard to describe how off-the-rails it gets.

It is available. $4 rental on Prime, and it's worth it. Especially if you're already a fan of Errol Morris.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Queen of Versailles is about a kooky lady building a ridiculously extravagant home just as the 2008 financial crash happens.

It's on Hoopla which may be available free through your local library. Possibly elsewhere, Justwatch lists Youtube w/ Ads but I only see it for Purchase or Rental there.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Finders Keepers is an odd documentary about a guy trying to get his leg back. It’s on prime currently

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If anyone's looking for a coming of age story that's an emotional gut punch, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is on Netflix. Logan Lerman puts in a real solid performance as the lead. The supporting cast of Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, and Paul Rudd is also really good. It's written/directed/adapted by the guy who also wrote the book, which is a piece of writing that heavily informed my jr/sr year in high school. The movie exceeded my expectations, and just like the book, it hit hard and close to home for me. So much so that every time I watch it I always end up bawling by the end :cry:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I must be the only person who didn't like Tiger King, watched one episode and found it boring but I'm not into white trash tv like Moonshiners and Jerry Springer either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

After the S2E1 of Happy I had never felt more like the target audience of the show, but by the end I was so busy feeling awful for Hailey I couldn't enjoy it as much. I do admire just how goddamn far off the rails it went, though, while also being a pretty well-made product. I've only played the first two Max Payne games, so this show is like Max Payne 3 for me.

Only show I want to watch now is Ozark, but I'm going to take it slower, these are some seriously downer shows in a downer time. Maybe pepper in some Jackie Chan or something.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

wormil posted:

I must be the only person who didn't like Tiger King, watched one episode and found it boring but I'm not into white trash tv like Moonshiners and Jerry Springer either.

Did you watch a preview or read anything about it? Because it's 100% Jerry Springer trash, of course you weren't going to like it.

On the other hand it's one of those rare things where you just hate everyone involved so that's pretty compelling to me at least. Except for the campaign manager guy that poor fucker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Allyn posted:

I watched Tabloid completely blind years ago and it cannot be overstated how fuckin crazy it gets

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Tiger King is super entertaining but I'm not sure how good it is as a documentary qua documentary? The timeline is all over the place, they do re-enactments without telling you they're doing re-enactments and they misgender one of Joe's employees(the keeper who got his arm ripped off by a tiger prefers he/him pronouns)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah I watched 2 and a half episodes of it before I had enough. It's absolutely nuts but I don't actually want to see that, plus who knows what the journalistic standards for a Netflix documentary are.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Amazon and SXSW are teaming up for a ten day free streaming window sometime later in the month.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/sxsw-2020-amazon-prime-streaming-1202222260/

You won't need Prime to access it, just a regular Amazon account, any filmmaker that agrees to be a part will get a streaming fee as a way to get a little relief to the filmmakers that were counting on a sale at the festival.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

GREEN KNIGHT

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Tiger King is super entertaining but I'm not sure how good it is as a documentary qua documentary? The timeline is all over the place, they do re-enactments without telling you they're doing re-enactments and they misgender one of Joe's employees(the keeper who got his arm ripped off by a tiger prefers he/him pronouns)

Iirc that was the news report about the incident not the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know this isn't normally the thread for recommending new shows that aren't on Netflix or Prime, but I feel really strongly about how amazing Dispatches From Elsewhere is. Someone said it's like a better, sadder Maniac and that's on point. It's also very loosely based on real events (read up on them, it's wild stuff).

Should be on AMC's website and if you have Comcast/Xfinity it's definitely free On Demand.

Seriously, it's loving incredible. And heartbreaking. And weird. And good.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

precision posted:

I know this isn't normally the thread for recommending new shows that aren't on Netflix or Prime, but I feel really strongly about how amazing Dispatches From Elsewhere is. Someone said it's like a better, sadder Maniac and that's on point. It's also very loosely based on real events (read up on them, it's wild stuff).

Maniac is a really interesting show that I always watch an episode of and then forget about for months at a time.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

precision posted:

Should be on AMC's website and if you have Comcast/Xfinity it's definitely free On Demand.

Seriously, it's loving incredible. And heartbreaking. And weird. And good.

Dispatches from Elsewhere just makes me sad that Lodge 49 was cancelled. Dispatches is good, but Lodge 49 had the same vibe but with better world building and a sense of optimism that I miss. Dispatches from Elsewhere's central mystery just isn't that interesting to me either, like if Clara is real and this isn't a game, then what is the big deal about finding her? What does finding her accomplish?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tim Whatley posted:

GREEN KNIGHT

Where is this available????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

An alternate reality

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Which parts are re-enactments?

I don't appreciate misgendering and don't remember that occurring in this doc. I only remember him having female pronouns used in the past when my understanding he was identifying as female. I thought most of the time they just used his name.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

HBO will be moving a lot of its content out from behind a paywall starting tomorrow.

https://news.avclub.com/hbo-is-making-hundreds-of-hours-of-its-content-free-to-1842651167

quote:

Full TV series:

Ballers (5 Seasons)
Barry (2 Seasons)
Silicon Valley (6 Seasons)
Six Feet Under (5 Seasons)
The Sopranos (7 Seasons)
Succession (2 Seasons)
True Blood (7 Seasons
Veep (7 Seasons)
The Wire (5 Seasons)

Docuseries and Documentaries

The Apollo
The Case Against Adnan Syed
Elvis Presley: The Searcher
I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter
The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley
Jane Fonda In Five Acts
McMillion$
True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
United Skates
We Are The Dream: The Kids Of The MLK Oakland Oratorical Fest

Films:

Arthur
Arthur 2: On The Rocks
Blinded By The Light
The Bridges Of Madison County
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Empire Of The Sun
Forget Paris
Happy Feet Two
Isn’t It Romantic?
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Midnight Special
My Dog Skip
Nancy Drew And The Hidden Staircase
Pan
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
Red Riding Hood
Smallfoot
Storks
Sucker Punch
Unknown

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

beanieson posted:

Where is this available????

Each SXSW filmmaker can agree to put their movie on the Amazon SXSW at the end of the month, so here's hopin'

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Maybe I'm a little late on Tiger King but there's a moment near the end where this guy and his pregnant wife are discussing nannies and his wife mentions it might be good to hire a multilingual one so they can teach their child different languages and the guy looks at her like "i guess i need to kill this woman" it made me laugh so hard

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

coronavirus posted:

Which parts are re-enactments?

I don't appreciate misgendering and don't remember that occurring in this doc. I only remember him having female pronouns used in the past when my understanding he was identifying as female. I thought most of the time they just used his name.

Saff seems like the kinda dude that wouldn't care about misgendering and would just laugh and correct you and you can take it or leave it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tim Whatley posted:

Each SXSW filmmaker can agree to put their movie on the Amazon SXSW at the end of the month, so here's hopin'

Oh poo poo🤞

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Maybe I'm a little late on Tiger King but there's a moment near the end where this guy and his pregnant wife are discussing nannies and his wife mentions it might be good to hire a multilingual one so they can teach their child different languages and the guy looks at her like "i guess i need to kill this woman" it made me laugh so hard

He seemed extremely onboard with the idea once he realized he could stalk and sexually harass the nanny.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Been wanting to watch Silicon Valley and Succession. How nice of HBO.

So much stuff to watch.....

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

beanieson posted:

Oh poo poo🤞

I'm hoping but it already had a wide release lined up for the end of May, so I don't know. I'm hoping for Extra Ordinary at least.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm also hoping for the Console Wars documentary

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He seemed extremely onboard with the idea once he realized he could stalk and sexually harass the nanny.
I guess you're right, the nanny search scene came after the nanny found scene, but the chronological order was the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

hmmxkrazee posted:

Been wanting to watch Silicon Valley and Succession. How nice of HBO.

So much stuff to watch.....

I don't care for Succession but Silicon Valley is tremendous