Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In the boardgame Wingspan corvids are great utility birds. In the base game they have the ability to turn an egg into x food. So if you put them in your lay eggs column you can get whatever food you want. One of them (American Raven I think?) Can trade one egg for two food which is stupid strong early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Did I do this right???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Did I do this right???

No but in a display of magnanimity I will allow it. It's a good picture.

Fun fact I work in medical documentation and I have a serious problem accidentally putting CORVID instead of COVID in patient's charts. I had to set it up to autocorrect.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Ravens are awesome. I always love seeing them hop around, watching people or messing with each other. Probably some of the coolest animals around.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
oh Moon Slayer, this is my poo poo, here's a video of me feeding a young magpie while her parents make sure I don't do anything mean

https://i.imgur.com/FjEzngc.mp4

Magpies are just about my favourite birds and while teeeechnically Australian magpies aren't in the family Corvidae (being Artamidae, but part of the greater corvid lineage instead), I hope you'll allow it

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
- hop
- eat seeed
- peck at dir

#justbirdthings

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

dreamin of semen posted:

Magpies are just about my favourite birds and while teeeechnically Australian magpies aren't in the family Corvidae (being Artamidae instead), I hope you'll allow it

I will.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ravens are awesome. I always love seeing them hop around, watching people or messing with each other. Probably some of the coolest animals around.

bad collision geometry on that 2nd pic

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's time for Corvidae, my favourite bird family!

Of the corvids, crows are probably my favourite. They're smart, they're everywhere, there's a family of them who like to hang out in the tree outside my house and scream at passing raptors. But crows also get all the press (along with ravens, aka "it's like a crow but 30% bigger and gloomier"), so instead I'm going to talk about one of the prettiest corvids: the blue jay! They're ubiquitous where I live and I usually see a few in my backyard every day.

In the summer they're pretty sleek

In the winter they get reaaaaaaal poofy, unless they migrate south -- fun fact, some blue jays migrate south and some don't! It doesn't seem to be regional, though, in any given area some will migrate and some will just stay there year-round.

They're omnivores, but they especially love peanuts. If you set up a peanut feeder and keep refilling it they will figure out not just where you live, but where in the building you tend to be at any given time of day, and, when it runs out, fly to that window to scream at you.

They also do whatever this is. Probably an argument over a peanut, or possibly an air traffic control failure.

Len posted:

In the boardgame Wingspan corvids are great utility birds. In the base game they have the ability to turn an egg into x food. So if you put them in your lay eggs column you can get whatever food you want. One of them (American Raven I think?) Can trade one egg for two food which is stupid strong early game

My girlfriend got us Wingspan for christmas and we've been playing it a bunch, and my best game was the one where I got like three corvids and just went all-in on the corvid strategy. Hoarding corvids is a brutally effective strategy.

A lot of things about that game impress me, but probably the thing that impresses me the most is how good a job they've done making the mechanics of the various birds thematically related to their real-world behaviours.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At our local game parlor we call that CrowTec and I will use it every game whether I win or not. But drat it I have so much food.

The expansion adds in magpies which let you take food from another player

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Alright Alright definitely got it this time

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's that article about the girl who feeds crows and they pay her.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Now I want some crow friends too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This is an extremely good post, btw.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WupH8oyrAo

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Moon Slayer presents: PYF Corvid Presents: Bird's Favorite Crows

1) The one I had, briefly, as a pet when I was eight.
    2) The ones that are nesting in my apartment complex.
    3) The other ones that are nesting in my apartment complex and sometimes get into fights with the first ones.
    4) "T. Robot"
    5) These guys:
    6) These ones
    7) All the rest of them

Also, the man from the video game Dishonored. Thank you.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
my favorite has to be ravens

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The way these crows are clearly able to understand the puzzles blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerUbHmuY04

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I'm different!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
i keep almonds in a bag in my pocket for when i go out for walks and see ravens and magpies (australian), so i can feed them. some of the ones around here even come closer and hang out. :3:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

the prettiest corvids: the blue jay!
Yeah, but what about the stellar jay?

Or the green jay?

Or the, uh..... red jay?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shifty Nipples posted:

The way these crows are clearly able to understand the puzzles blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerUbHmuY04

Ha, I went looking for that video but couldn't figure out to search for it.

I did find this, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSu2PXOTOc

edit: alright, I can't mine to embed for some reason. I am clearly not as smart as a corvid.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, but what about the stellar jay?

I love you ombre bird

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicFrog posted:

It's time for Corvidae, my favourite bird family!

Of the corvids, crows are probably my favourite. They're smart, they're everywhere, there's a family of them who like to hang out in the tree outside my house and scream at passing raptors. But crows also get all the press (along with ravens, aka "it's like a crow but 30% bigger and gloomier"), so instead I'm going to talk about one of the prettiest corvids: the blue jay! They're ubiquitous where I live and I usually see a few in my backyard every day.

In the summer they're pretty sleek

In the winter they get reaaaaaaal poofy, unless they migrate south -- fun fact, some blue jays migrate south and some don't! It doesn't seem to be regional, though, in any given area some will migrate and some will just stay there year-round.

They're omnivores, but they especially love peanuts. If you set up a peanut feeder and keep refilling it they will figure out not just where you live, but where in the building you tend to be at any given time of day, and, when it runs out, fly to that window to scream at you.

They also do whatever this is. Probably an argument over a peanut, or possibly an air traffic control failure.

Blue jays are great. Probably my favorite corvids that I see on a regular basis. But they never come to say hello! :smith:

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Scarodactyl posted:

Or the, uh..... red jay?

was hoping to follow the st louis red jays this year but, no MLB

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hub Cat posted:

Did I do this right???

Is that how their necks are supposed to look? Looks kind of like a dog with an embedded collar.

Also I think the crows the other day confused my foster dog for my own dog who's been gone more than a year. One of them landed right next to us, the first time that's happened since I had my dog. The foster dog had about the right colors, I guess. Fortunately he didn't seem to care -- some dogs would wanna chase.

Anyways there's a pair that likes to follow me around if I'm walking a dog trying to get treat scraps =)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Blue jays are great. Probably my favorite corvids that I see on a regular basis. But they never come to say hello! :smith:

Feed them for a while.

If they still won't say hello, stop feeding them and they'll come say hello very loudly until you start again. :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I can say from experience that if you want them to say "go gently caress yourself", just stand by the nest as the fledglings are plopping out of the tree. I leaned over to take a picture, and next thing something smacks me in the back of the head, followed by a sharp pinching sensation. Momma got away with a clump of my hair, defending her young.

Can't says I blame her, she was just doing her job. But yeah for suck a smallish bird they pack a wallop in dive bomb mode.

edit: also, Moon Slayer, I welcome your new regime. My husband and I might have the-corvid-that's-missing-the-letter-R thing, so this has been an incredibly pleasant distraction.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 2, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HairyManling posted:

Now I want some crow friends too.

If you play your cards right, you can end up like my friend and former goon tef, who has a personal murder.

https://twitter.com/emmaggarland/status/1243950035064238081?s=21

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's a cat in my neighborhood that roams around and you can track where it is at all times because a crow will always be in a tree above it crowing. They do hand-offs when it crosses the street.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

edit: also, Moon Slayer, I welcome your new regime. My husband and I might have the-corvid-that's-missing-the-letter-R thing, so this has been an incredibly pleasant distraction.

you have a cow?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If you play your cards right, you can end up like my friend and former goon tef, who has a personal murder.

I was waiting for tef to get posted.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
No greater corvid than the noble magpie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicFrog posted:

Feed them for a while.

If they still won't say hello, stop feeding them and they'll come say hello very loudly until you start again. :v:

I don't want to bribe them to be my friend, I want that friendship to come from mutual interests in making silly noises. :smith:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Now there's a beautiful corvid. 1974 if I'm not mistaken.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

That’s clearly Soulblighter in his early days. Before the glaive and all.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

Now there's a beautiful corvid. 1974 if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm ...

I'll allow it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

you have a cow?

I wish. In the meantime, enjoy some bovids 'n' corvids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_JE5ElV_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow