Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

There is also a recurring theme in old liberal people that I have noticed where basically they are too broke brained by years of failure and Capitalism to even imagine that there can be a better way, and they assume any far left or idealistic candidate is going to lose. Nobody is more emblematic of that than Chris Matthews, but I wouldn't be surprised if David Simon is another one of those who wants change but believes it can only come from what he perceives to be the more realistic candidate.

For some reason a lot of older liberals just can't accept the idea that major change is possible or a good idea. They've been told for years that it has to be incremental and there has to be compromise to get anything done and that concept is drilled into their heads.

I'm not even 40 yet and I've already come to the conclusion that major systemic change is not possible. But that conclusion has led me all the way back around to voting for the most ambitious leftist candidates because why not? Nothing's ever gonna change so there's no downside to going with the candidates who at least talk a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

algebra testes posted:

Can I be honest? I dont understand how David "the System is broken" Simon isnt all for the system is broken candidate.

And please explain it to me using the word "fucknuckle" for maximum authenticity.

David Simon has literally said that he doesn't believe capitalism is the problem, it just needs some better regulation and then everything will be fine.

That's Warren's entire platform.

It's also painfully, hideously, objectively Wrong.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is this from the new movie? I may have to change my plans this weekend if so.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Completely forgot about this scene but upon rewatch it absolutely slayed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY67XaX6oM8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jokes on him I was only pretending

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

eleven extra elephants posted:

Completely forgot about this scene but upon rewatch it absolutely slayed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY67XaX6oM8

This and when they all run into each other at the movies. Perfect "morning Ralph" "morning Sam" scenes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Carver and Herc being so unsettled by that while Bodie clearly thinks of them as "work rivals" is loving amazing. :allears:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gileadexile posted:

So after trying to get into this show on goon recommendations years back and deciding to wait until my wife was into a watch as well, I'm starting a watchthrough. Just wanted to make a post thanking every goon who made a recommend or had some sort of in joke or reference that made me want to watch.

Can't wait to go back to page 8 and read back through to current and see how my thoughts have changed.

Thanks goons.

If you're digging The Wire you should also check out The Corner. A lot of the same cast and only 6 episodes long. Last I checked it was on You Tube

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm a Wire fan who's watched the show at least three times but at no point did I ever feel like David Simon would be a fun dude to just hang out and drink a beer with.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1232403670890942469

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was reading a deep dive on this show somewhere that claimed that the hit on Bodie was shot as a chess sequence where he is the pawn. He can't move far, attacks diagonally and his killers approach like (I think) rooks, bishops and knights. I can't find it to link but it's an interesting idea.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
RIP Stringer Bell, again

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1239631710767190016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

These Luther plots just keep getting more and more out there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

that's why you always shut that door

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

that's why you always shut that door

gently caress :xd:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

We on that poo poo like a 40 degree fever!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Got that pandemic, yo.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kevyn posted:

Got that pandemic, yo.

Glad I'm not the only one hearing this!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
But...is Wallace OK? Where's Wallace? :ohdear:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

But...is Wallace OK? Where's Wallace? :ohdear:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

im so happy he's actually in there and that i didnt just waste all that time looking

i mean i guess i did but...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just found him too! :woop:
:negative:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/barbhaynes/status/1240347751373668352?s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I can't wait until she gets to season 4.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it Clay Davis who was in the key club? Who said that anyway

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Prop Joe said Burrell was in the glee club.

Clay Davis was in the Sphinx Club. Sydnor’s uncle used to tend bar over there.

I’ve seen this show too many times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kevyn posted:

I’ve seen this show too many times.

Good point, it IS time for a full rewatch!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jerusalem posted:

Good point, it IS time for a full rewatch!

Was thinking the same thing. What are the odds!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I just finished one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

I just finished one.

So you have no more episode of The Wire to watch? Sounds like a good time to start a rewatch of The Wire!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

I just finished one.

Same. Well, more like "same" because it was almost 6 months ago. Was the first subtitled runthrough for my partner as well (not a native speaker, we tried it subtitleless before but a lot was lost in the non-translation).

We still constantly reference it to each other and scream a character's name whenever we see that actor in another show.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Are we getting updates on the status of actors like Gump and Stringer Bell, or are they just perpetually infected with Kung Flu?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've watched the wire several times but I haven't done a single rewatch.

(I watched the rentals several times before returning them)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've watched the wire several times but I haven't done a single rewatch.

(I watched the rentals several times before returning them)

Time for a rewatch, gramps.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hello, my fellow Wire fans! I have been considering a rewatch, especially since I don't think I have seen anything other than *some* of Season 1 since HBO remastered the show. It'd be cool to watch it again, this time in FHD instead of standard 4:3. I feel like The Wire must've been one of the last 'prestige' dramas to have been made in 4:3, on HBO or anywhere else. By the time The Wire finished its final season, things were very different. It really was a frighteningly accurate mirror of society.

I don't know if it needs to be said now, but I think The Wire has grown exponentially more prophetic, more haunting, more relevant, more... everything. I'm obviously speaking in light of the Covid-19 epidemic, yet it seems not everyone sees any sort of connection; after all, it's not like The Wire ever deals with any literal diseases or sicknesses, and it's not as if they have a season devoted to the dysfunctionality in the health care system in America - it's about other things.

But I honestly do think it is extremely relevant in the midst of this pandemic, and I'd wager most of you folks agree. I mean, this whole ordeal is a massive test of the competence of local., county, and state officials. This is THE BIG ONE. This is putting major pressure on each and every one of the major institutions that he focused on season by season. The cops and the dealers, the blue-collar longshoremen and manual laborers, the goddamn loving politicians and local officials/community pillars, the schools and the children, and finally the *media*.

Each and every one of those institutions/groups of people are going through some seriously intense and dire times. And since we have watched the show, we should have a pretty solid idea of just how dysfunctional they can truly be; not a happy thought.

I think the only ones who are truly thriving and doing better in the face of covid-19 have GOT to be the drug dealers - I include legal dispensaries and liquor stores in this category as well, mostly because their presence on the list of "essential businesses" is a little eyebrow-raising to most of straight America, I'd wager. But that is precisely where they belong. By the same token I have NO DOUBT that drug dealers across the country are just doing utterly amazing sales numbers, with everyone sheltering at home and nowhere to go.

edit: Another thing! I read Simon's book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets which is... well, you guys probably know drat well all about this book and I don't need to waste time with a summary, right?

It was a really fun, engaging, rewarding read. I can't imagine any fan of David Simon's TV work not voraciously tearing through it. I've never seen the TV show Homicide, and really didn't know much about the real-life Baltimore detectives who served as inspiration for both shows. It was just fascinating to read. And stuff definitely does come up - at one point one of the more interesting detectives tells the "Snot Boogie" story, and it is very cool to read that (written in 1991) and remember watching the scene it inspired on The Wire for the first time over *15* years ago. And it still rings just as true as ever.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 4, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a fantastic book, I think The Corner is even better and highly recommend reading it if you haven't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The North Tower posted:

Time for a rewatch, gramps.

Rental store closed sonny

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

kaworu posted:

Hello, my fellow Wire fans! I have been considering a rewatch, especially since I don't think I have seen anything other than *some* of Season 1 since HBO remastered the show. It'd be cool to watch it again, this time in FHD instead of standard 4:3. I feel like The Wire must've been one of the last 'prestige' dramas to have been made in 4:3, on HBO or anywhere else. By the time The Wire finished its final season, things were very different. It really was a frighteningly accurate mirror of society.

I don't know if it needs to be said now, but I think The Wire has grown exponentially more prophetic, more haunting, more relevant, more... everything. I'm obviously speaking in light of the Covid-19 epidemic, yet it seems not everyone sees any sort of connection; after all, it's not like The Wire ever deals with any literal diseases or sicknesses, and it's not as if they have a season devoted to the dysfunctionality in the health care system in America - it's about other things.

But I honestly do think it is extremely relevant in the midst of this pandemic, and I'd wager most of you folks agree. I mean, this whole ordeal is a massive test of the competence of local., county, and state officials. This is THE BIG ONE. This is putting major pressure on each and every one of the major institutions that he focused on season by season. The cops and the dealers, the blue-collar longshoremen and manual laborers, the goddamn loving politicians and local officials/community pillars, the schools and the children, and finally the *media*.

Each and every one of those institutions/groups of people are going through some seriously intense and dire times. And since we have watched the show, we should have a pretty solid idea of just how dysfunctional they can truly be; not a happy thought.

I think the only ones who are truly thriving and doing better in the face of covid-19 have GOT to be the drug dealers - I include legal dispensaries and liquor stores in this category as well, mostly because their presence on the list of "essential businesses" is a little eyebrow-raising to most of straight America, I'd wager. But that is precisely where they belong. By the same token I have NO DOUBT that drug dealers across the country are just doing utterly amazing sales numbers, with everyone sheltering at home and nowhere to go.

edit: Another thing! I read Simon's book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets which is... well, you guys probably know drat well all about this book and I don't need to waste time with a summary, right?

It was a really fun, engaging, rewarding read. I can't imagine any fan of David Simon's TV work not voraciously tearing through it. I've never seen the TV show Homicide, and really didn't know much about the real-life Baltimore detectives who served as inspiration for both shows. It was just fascinating to read. And stuff definitely does come up - at one point one of the more interesting detectives tells the "Snot Boogie" story, and it is very cool to read that (written in 1991) and remember watching the scene it inspired on The Wire for the first time over *15* years ago. And it still rings just as true as ever.

a drat good post

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

It's a fantastic book, I think The Corner is even better and highly recommend reading it if you haven't.

Killing streets is good, but holy crap is the font smol. I literally get headaches when reading it before bed.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

kaworu posted:

Most of the first season of Homicide is based off the main cases in the book and you owe it to yourself to check it out, especially the episode "Three Men And Adena"