Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've posted quite a few of my complaints for Crash Team Racing in the past but this is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RareAcumen posted:

I've posted quite a few of my complaints for Crash Team Racing in the past but this is a great crate idea.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The most recognizable character after Crash himself.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I enjoy the loading screens in Harebrained Schemes's Shadowrun games. They have nice little scene setting paragraphs that add to the atmosphere. And they have fun with the fact that your crack team of cyberpunks have to take public transport everywhere. There's a side mission in Dragonfall where you snoop around an old biotech lab and at the end of it the load screen describes a scene of your team awkwardly riding the subway with a dripping bag of cybernetics while getting the stink eye from a mother with two rowdy kids.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to World 6 in Yoshi's Wooly World and like the balance that the game has to keep it for all ages. A kid could easily get through the actual levels just to beat the game with only a few levels being particularly mean (Boo Houses and some boss levels) but the actual collectibles are really difficult to get and keep because they require total mastery of that level's main gimmick, so the older players can have a decent challenge. Also some of the gimmicks are cool like World 4 which has one level that's riding curtains down their rails, which was a fun one. I also like that there is signposting, like I found a secret in one level by following a monkey who went that same direction.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah the Yoshi games have always had that sort of balance, I've found: beating the levels is fairly easy, maybe a tough spot here or there, but otherwise not too bad. But going bad to find all the little hidden things, or beating the level with full health, that's much more of a challenge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got to World 6 in Yoshi's Wooly World and like the balance that the game has to keep it for all ages. A kid could easily get through the actual levels just to beat the game with only a few levels being particularly mean (Boo Houses and some boss levels) but the actual collectibles are really difficult to get and keep because they require total mastery of that level's main gimmick, so the older players can have a decent challenge. Also some of the gimmicks are cool like World 4 which has one level that's riding curtains down their rails, which was a fun one. I also like that there is signposting, like I found a secret in one level by following a monkey who went that same direction.

Try doing the unlockable challenge level in each world :unsmigghh:.

But yeah, I really loved that too; Getting from start to finish in each level is a breeze, but they take the kid gloves right the hell off if you want to try for the collectables.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Elfface posted:

The most recognizable character after Crash himself.

That was literally how they teased its playability. "I'm as important as the bandicoot, I should be in." was found in the datamine, and lo and behold it was a box.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've discovered in quarantine that I am weirdly enthralled by simulationist racers despite previously having very little interest in cars at all. I've been messing with GT Sport on PS4 and - after playing a few hours of GT5 on PS3 before splurging on Sport - it's really, really made me appreciate the triggers on the dual shock 4. It's like easy mode compared to the default setting on the PS3, which had face buttons as accelerate and brake like it's freaking Super Mario Kart.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Replaying God of War 3 because quarantine makes you do crazy things. One thing I really do appreciate about it is there are more item chests than there are items (pieces that upgrade your health and so on) so you don't have to stress too much about collecting them all. And if you do find an item chest once you're maxed out, it just gives you a ton of experience. It's a handy QoL thing I would not have expected from a game of its type and vintage.

It also has the knock-on effect of you hitting peak power about 4/5 of the way through the game instead of at the very end, so you have enough time to enjoy it without it kicking in too soon.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

food court bailiff posted:

I've discovered in quarantine that I am weirdly enthralled by simulationist racers despite previously having very little interest in cars at all. I've been messing with GT Sport on PS4 and - after playing a few hours of GT5 on PS3 before splurging on Sport - it's really, really made me appreciate the triggers on the dual shock 4. It's like easy mode compared to the default setting on the PS3, which had face buttons as accelerate and brake like it's freaking Super Mario Kart.

I had the urge to play Burnout 3 / Revenge and so turned to PS2 emulation and I had completely forgotten that the PS2 version had the face buttons set to gas and brake (IIRC the PS2 had analog face buttons but basic bumpers) and it seriously tripped me up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Disco Elysium: Deciding to go pantless, most likely in search of wacky reactions, doesn’t change anything. They did not, in fact, write pantless dialogue for any character, except a line when you meet your no-nonsense partner. The game says, if he hasn’t reacted, no one will.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr Christmas posted:

Disco Elysium: Deciding to go pantless, most likely in search of wacky reactions, doesn’t change anything. They did not, in fact, write pantless dialogue for any character, except a line when you meet your no-nonsense partner. The game says, if he hasn’t reacted, no one will.

It is very likely literally nothing they haven't seen before.

You were REALLY drunk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Breetai posted:

It is very likely literally nothing they haven't seen before.

You were REALLY drunk.

The girl outside the bookshop even tells you as much. You've been running around yelling without a shirt on so much that she's used to it and is entirely comfortable talking to you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's an lp going on that just got to the part where you can shave off your sideburns and it's horrifying

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You can also get rid of the smile and the game even comments on how you now just look like a sad old man.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finally getting around to Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii, and I'm enjoying it so far now that I've got the hang of the controls. I like how much variety there is in the levels and that, due to how tricky and long the levels can get, you get repawning lives so you can keep trying certain parts if you can get them consistently. I'm currently at the first boss. I also like the effect when the boss gets madder and changes colour with him going into a berzerk mode for a few seconds to power up.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SkeletonHero posted:

Replaying God of War 3 because quarantine makes you do crazy things. One thing I really do appreciate about it is there are more item chests than there are items (pieces that upgrade your health and so on) so you don't have to stress too much about collecting them all. And if you do find an item chest once you're maxed out, it just gives you a ton of experience. It's a handy QoL thing I would not have expected from a game of its type and vintage.

It also has the knock-on effect of you hitting peak power about 4/5 of the way through the game instead of at the very end, so you have enough time to enjoy it without it kicking in too soon.

It might not be a little thing, but one of the big things that I've really come to appreciate about the original God of War trilogy is that none of them are particularly long, and as formulaic as the combat gets, they try to constantly change up the environments, both of which are things missed by basically all of the God of War knockoffs from that era.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto the second boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns now. I like that the levels have kind of a story to them for each area.

An example: Early in the Beach, the second set of levels, you are fired upon by a pirate ship and have to avoid it's cannons. Then in the background midway through the level, an octopus tears the ship apart and becomes the new obstacle, with some neat visuals. Then as the weather gradually gets worse the sea becomes choppy, then full on tidal waves, and you see parts of what's left of the ship coming back to the surface due to sheer force of the water.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SkeletonHero posted:

Even the first God of War on the PS2 already did this.

There IS a reason why these games were well liked back then, no matter how much of a meme they are nowadays.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto the second boss of Donkey Kong Country Returns now. I like that the levels have kind of a story to them for each area.

DKCR is great (bosses aside), especially for this environmental story/setpiece stuff. But Tropical Freeze blows it out of the water in so many ways, it's a high water mark for the genre that I was hoping would turn into more of a big AAA 2.5D platformer revival :sigh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know what you mean about the bosses, I hated the loving crab pirates. At least they only need 2 rounds of attacks. I do like that different masks possess different bosses though, like a big mask possesses the first one, but the three crabs get three small staves instead, one per guy. Also wow Mast Blasting was really hard (the one with the three pirate ships that you need to platform around the masts of while they destroy each other trying to kill you).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

haveblue posted:

It gets much less good if you have to retry it a couple of times. I do appreciate how unique it was, though.

I mean, it turned Control into an 80s techno-powered rail shooter with cliched action dialogue. I really got a kick out of the boss of the sequence literally being called "The Third-Act Villain".

I will agree that it can be frustrating to die repeatedly on. This DLC in general really seemed to have raised the difficulty a notch or two.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Polaron posted:

I mean, it turned Control into an 80s techno-powered rail shooter with cliched action dialogue. I really got a kick out of the boss of the sequence literally being called "The Third-Act Villain".

I will agree that it can be frustrating to die repeatedly on. This DLC in general really seemed to have raised the difficulty a notch or two.

I think it's because it's post-game DLC, so by now you're expected to have been good enough to have beaten the game.

At first the hiss sharpened were a spike for me, but then I powered up the shield with shield rush and suddenly they falling over in two slams, felt pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I found the Foundation DLC to be quite easy, about on the same level as the Tier 1 Expeditions if you've been doing any of those. And you can summon help for the tough fights!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Foundation is very much a binary difficulty set around how much you remember Shield exists.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm super hyped to get the game back out this weekend, but also terrified because I got pretty good in my second playthrough but that was quite a while ago now :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
When one of the many bosses in Final Fantasy 14 that can freeze you solid does so, it can happen while the player is in the middle of one of their animations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What am I looking at here?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What am I looking at here?

A weird glitch that turns a normal person into an unrecognizable lumpy blob. Also, maybe think about turning on your monitor.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I suppose it helps to have a frame of reference if you're not familiar with a game.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

No i think the glitch is the little gun barrel poking out of the ice there, the blob of ice is normal looking because its a repurposed rock jail. The raid is from the early years of ff14 so they had to do a lot of stuff like that and all.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just picked up DOOM (2016), and been having a blast so far.

One little thing I noticed was the way an enemy reacted to getting shot. An imp had its arm cocked back, about to pitch a fireball at me. I shot it just as it was throwing, and instead of just cancelling the attack, it threw off its aim, so that the fireball got tossed way out to the side. I thought it was a neat little touch.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just picked up DOOM (2016), and been having a blast so far.

One little thing I noticed was the way an enemy reacted to getting shot. An imp had its arm cocked back, about to pitch a fireball at me. I shot it just as it was throwing, and instead of just cancelling the attack, it threw off its aim, so that the fireball got tossed way out to the side. I thought it was a neat little touch.

In the Division, shooting an enemy partway through their grenade-throwing animation makes them drop it right at their feet, which is fun

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

In the Division, shooting an enemy partway through their grenade-throwing animation makes them drop it right at their feet, which is fun

Is that what happened in this video? Stumbled across it a few days ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zoig posted:

No i think the glitch is the little gun barrel poking out of the ice there, the blob of ice is normal looking because its a repurposed rock jail. The raid is from the early years of ff14 so they had to do a lot of stuff like that and all.

It's this. I was fighting a boss that turns members of the raid into a block of ice, and it fired while my character was reaching out her gun to shoot the boss. So it wound up with the gun's barrel and bayonet sticking out of the ice block, which I thought was amusing.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So risk of rain 2 had a update which added artifacts into the game that work like the ones from the last game, adding modifiers to game that change how things work, often lethally but sometimes to your advantage like letting you pick what items you get instead of them being random. While the process of getting them is a cool big puzzle thing that i love a lot, the little thing is that the devs had people saying that they should balance them or turn off achievements while they are active and they said no and let them be fun and broken.

Its really nice because it makes a lot of the challenges more doable in a reasonable time and honestly the game has been a lot more fun for me because even with a loadout of my choice I can still die to one stupid mistake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the mango centipede boss in Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's a neat puzzle boss. Also most of the gimmicks are fun and surprising, although some are nasty (chased by a wall of spiders? Hope you aren't arachnophobic!).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One neat thing about Cat Quest is that any repeat equipment you find increases the stats of the one you already have instead of just being clutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So i'm playing Planet centauri one of those games made around the start of the block based survival game trend, but the devs actually did keep working on it and it has enough charm to be pretty alright, and a nice touch is that it shares a lot of shortcuts from its contemporaries for ease of use, like auto pickaxe being control and shift clicking stuff instantly putting it in your inventory, its just really nice to have things share good control shortcuts.