Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry, but if Willrow Hood isn't featured in one of those, there's no sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

Were those the Lando is a weirdo libertarian novels?

The author, L. Neil Smith, is a weird libertarian, so yes,

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The author, L. Neil Smith, is a weird libertarian, so yes,

No loving way The Probability Broach guy did a Lando Calrissian trilogy? That owns

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gripweed posted:

No loving way The Probability Broach guy did a Lando Calrissian trilogy? That owns

And Pallas!

Also, the guy that did those Lando posters has a website and his other what-if posters are amazing too...

https://www.behance.net/user/?username=PeterStults

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooof, loving those 70s sci-fi illustrator planet environments we see in the background. I'd love to see comebacks of things like crystal spires rainbow city in the first one or the sunset-tree-bubble world in the last. Much cooler.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 1, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is Lando going to fire those blasters with his middle finger or does he just have really over developed trigger discipline?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Is Lando going to fire those blasters with his middle finger or does he just have really over developed trigger discipline?

That's why all the ladies love him.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Gotta hand it to Toryiama for knowing that less is more in terms of design

(I don't know what the anime on the right is. If they are both made by him, then I'm gonna have to issue a correction)

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 2, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol Toryiama would never do a magical girl anime.

He can’t even do female side characters

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
One time a major female character suddenly stopped appearing in Dragon Ball entirely because Toriyama forgot about her.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

One time a major female character suddenly stopped appearing in Dragon Ball entirely because Toriyama forgot about her.

Launch!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Marin Karin posted:

It's something that's not exclusive to female characters when it comes to Toriyama, to be fair.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solar Tornado posted:

(I don't know what the anime on the right is. If they are both made by him, then I'm gonna have to issue a correction)

Pretty Cure. It was not made by Akira Toriyama.

Vagabundo posted:

It's something that's not exclusive to female characters when it comes to Toriyama, to be fair.

Goten and Trunks don't have tails because Toriyama forgot Saiyans had tails.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's less he forgot and more he just didn't want to have to draw them anymore so they got them taken off when they were babies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol Toryiama would never do a magical girl anime.

Although Goku and his crew fought magical girl anime characters from a different universe in the last arc of Super.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lobok posted:

Although Goku and his crew fought magical girl anime characters from a different universe in the last arc of Super.

That spends most of its time making fun of them. In kind of cruel ways

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Waffleman_ posted:

It's less he forgot and more he just didn't want to have to draw them anymore so they got them taken off when they were babies.

To be fair it makes sense since at that point everyone knew how dangerous a Saiyan could be if they still had their tails.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If only we lived in such a world...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Barbara Crampton not getting a box credit is some bullshit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1246110966267269121?s=20

Happy New Mutants release day

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When Disney bought Fox I pretty confidently predicted that New Mutants would never get a theatrical release. When Disney announced they were going through with it I figured I' d have to eat crow. But hey, looks like I might still turn out to be right

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Solar Tornado posted:

There's morre colours and lines on the toriyama side, the only difference in terms of design is they put a contrasting colour in the background of goku and made sure the feminine design would blend in with the background colour.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 4, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Oh my God

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toryama also drew complex things he just didn’t like to because he was lazy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CharlestheHammer posted:

Toryama also drew complex things he just didn’t like to because he was lazy

leading to the greatest introduction of all time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I saw Parasite last night and really enjoyed it, so of course today I went looking for bad minimalist fan posters.

I don't know if this one is supposed to be a parody or not it's just so...

This one is literally just an existing poster put through one of those neural network filter apps.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've been watching old Spanish movies and I found this poster from 1938 to be so weirdly evocative:

Don't know if I could ever track down a good print short of going to Madrid, but maybe one day.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MASSIVE longshot but do any of you suspect what movie this poster might be for

A bunch of people rougly arranged in a triangle and there appears to be a woman on the right of the poster gasping or screaming.

Below is something black and white that might be something similar to the cast photos form this poster from the same era

or something else entirely or another ad below that just blends in with the poster because of the distance and low resolution.

blown up into a complete blur:

The photo is from 1975 but since it's from Iceland the movie might be a few years older. Though this is from the town by the US army base where things arrived a bit earlier in those days.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Probably not very helpful, but here's half of it at a bit better resolution.

As you can already see the texture of the photo paper here, there's probably not a much better scan out there - probably wouldn't be enough for a reverse image search even if it would be fully visible.

Also, while there certainly were posters in that elongated format, the lower part might not actually be part of the poster itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

How about 56k search results from Icelandic newspapers containing the words Reykjavik and kvikmynd (film) :shepface:

https://timarit.is/?q=kvikmynd+reykjavik&size=10&isAdvanced=true&publicationId=&from=01.01.1970&to=31.12.1975

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The bottom part of it looks like b&w production photos/lobby cards, which were commonly integrated into posters in the 60s. I'm also getting a late 60s-70s Disney vibe from it for some reason, like The Apple Dumpling Gang or Escape from Witch Mountain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Imo it looks like a man is cutting the throat of or strangling a woman behind the screaming woman

Guessing horror film or maybe my pattern recognition is just hosed up

Fox Mulder
Mar 29, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

MASSIVE longshot but do any of you suspect what movie this poster might be for

A bunch of people rougly arranged in a triangle and there appears to be a woman on the right of the poster gasping or screaming.

Below is something black and white that might be something similar to the cast photos form this poster from the same era

or something else entirely or another ad below that just blends in with the poster because of the distance and low resolution.

blown up into a complete blur:

The photo is from 1975 but since it's from Iceland the movie might be a few years older. Though this is from the town by the US army base where things arrived a bit earlier in those days.

The film is Wicked Wicked from 1973, notable for being the first and last film presented in MGM's wondrous new "Duo-Vision".
Meaning the entire film is viewed in split screen with the action alternating between sides.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fox Mulder posted:

The film is Wicked Wicked from 1973, notable for being the first and last film presented in MGM's wondrous new "Duo-Vision".
Meaning the entire film is viewed in split screen with the action alternating between sides.

Holy poo poo.

How? I mean, I am impressed

Fox Mulder
Mar 29, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo.

How? I mean, I am impressed

Woman screaming suggested horror film, and while Iceland wasn't exactly known for its volume of domestic films in this era, FreudianSlippers mentioned that the photo was taken in a town near a US army base - which adds to that "horror film" hunch. Working backwards from 1975, I just checked all horror film entries on imdb looking for the woman in westborn's clearer photo. Didn't have far to go.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fox Mulder posted:

Amazing.

I knew I was right to trust in the poster thread.

Fox Mulder
Mar 29, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Amazing.

I knew I was right to trust in the poster thread.

Hold up there cowboy, now you gotta spill why you needed this poster on a grainy old Icelandic photograph identified. That sounds like a story.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not really.

Someone on Icelandic twitter posted the photo and asked movie buffs to help him identify the poster, purely out of curiosity. A bunch of people, me included spent hours trying to find it through various means but to no avail. Then I decided to try the power of the internet. However someone beat me to posting it on Twitter using the same method but on Facebook instead of SA.

Basically just a case of the mundanity of social distancing being broken by pointless curiosity.

And now I have to watch the film for the April horror challenge, though I suspect tracking down a copy might be a hassle since it isn't on streaming and probably isn't known enough to be easily available through other means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Mulder
Mar 29, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not really.

Someone on Icelandic twitter posted the photo and asked movie buffs to help him identify the poster, purely out of curiosity. A bunch of people, me included spent hours trying to find it through various means but to no avail. Then I decided to try the power of the internet. However someone beat me to posting it on Twitter using the same method but on Facebook instead of SA.

Basically just a case of the mundanity of social distancing being broken by pointless curiosity.

And now I have to watch the film for the April horror challenge, though I suspect tracking down a copy might be a hassle since it isn't on streaming and probably isn't known enough to be easily available through other means.

Well I still enjoyed hearing it.

Yeah, finding a DVD might be your only, uh, legitimate option.