Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
A lot of games this month have been released early in Spain. Maybe because the stores aren't allowed to open. FFVII technically releases on the 10th, but my copy will arrive tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also do to the weird distribution going on some street copies are most likely out there.

Some people already have FF7 as an example

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m down for some Resistance this weekend if some goons want to start a discord or something. A squad of goon survivors can probably run circles around pubbie masterminds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, that explains that. I've been wondering. Shame to hear that the game is so much shorter than RE2make, then.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Noted long game RE 2 remake that has unlocks for beating it in sub 4 hours.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

am I going crazy or do these "ridiculously short" playtimes I'm seeing seem really similar to the average range of time for a playthrough of RE2 Remake?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

am I going crazy or do these "ridiculously short" playtimes I'm seeing seem really similar to the average range of time for a playthrough of RE2 Remake?

6-8 seems to be the average for 2

Some longer but they play really slow so shouldn’t factor in

Add in the Claire stuff and it probably gets to ten if you don’t count redundancy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

Most people seem to average 6-8.

However there's a few things that factor in there that make RE3 feel significantly shorter.

One is that RE2, just by design, feels longer because it is based around exploring the police station and its surrounding underground areas. There is a little of that in RE3 but only a little. Instead you feel generally herded through areas which are largely comprised of corridors.

RE2, once you finish, also instantly throws another remixed character's campaign at you and even if it is mostly similar it ends up feeling more lengthy. Most people will probably play RE2 twice even if they're one-and-done gamers because the second playthrough is presented more as a second chapter and does have its own variations on plot and enemies.

RE2 also unlocked bonus modes as soon as you finished the game so even if you didn't bother with The Fourth Survivor or Tofu stuff it felt like you did.

This last one isn't necessarily a negative but: Unlocking new things in RE2 required playthroughs of the game and optimizing things which encouraged further playthroughs. RE3 uses a shop system and loads a lot of points onto easily farmable achivements so rather than playing through multiple times to master the game you'll get enough for the stuff you care about and then be done. And considering the highest point values go to "Kill (x) enemy with (y) weapon" and "Kill (x) number of enemies" you'll probably just save before a location in the endgame with a lot of enemies, kill them, reload and repeat. Achievement hunters will still need to do the S-ranks and such but that's about it.

All of that combines to make RE3 feel really short. Especially since unless you start on Hardcore you'll need to play the game twice to even get the remixed difficulty. (And even then, unlike RE2, you also have to be willing to accept very high damage numbers or the obligation to dedicate at least 2 inventory slots to protection items.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I wonder how much of the behind the scenes stuff with these remakes revolved around the fact that RE2 is more fondly remembered and more profitable than 3. 3's my personal favorite, but if I was a Capcom exec, I'd also put more resources behind RE2make because it's a much safer bet.

The reviews sound like there's still enough stuff that interests me in the game, but I am pretty bummed about the length and replay-ability issues. A big meaty Resident Evil game would've been real nice while we're all stuck inside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

man nurse posted:

Noted long game RE 2 remake that has unlocks for beating it in sub 4 hours.
My first playthrough of the game took me something to the tune of eight hours, which seems to be close to the average. Half that length on a first playthrough would be very disappointing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Resident evil games by their nature are substantially quicker to beat once you know exactly what you need to get.

I get wanting to defend something you like or want to like but I think being a bit dishonest is unnecessary

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are you talking to me? Because I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Someone on the previous page reported 4 hours 30 on a first playthrough, which seemed really short to me. Then again, maybe the guy was really rushing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you talking to me? Because I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Someone on the previous page reported 4 hours 30 on a first playthrough, which seemed really short to me. Then again, maybe the guy was really rushing.

No I was talking about the guy you quoted, who seemed to forget why the quick completion achievement exists. Because that’s how RE games are done.

Except for 3 apparently, which is ironic I guess

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, alright then. Yeah, Resident Evil games are notoriously easy to speedrun. I actually managed to get a run of RE2make at... 1:42, I think. Not exactly world record stuff, but wow that was over quickly. I think at this point, some people have managed to get it to under an hour.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Under 50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhwYKxLPim8

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Listen to this incredible cover of the RE series' most iconic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrKKcon9NK4

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
^ Thank you for brightening my day.

Cardiovorax posted:

That was me. I made sure to get every item and kill as many enemies as possible, and I kind of got lost in a level where the way forward is hidden behind a bunch of things hanging for the ceiling. Still, I think the in game timer doesn't count retries or cutscenes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Was really excited to play this, but I jus tbooted it up and it commits the cardinal sin; live action intro cutscene.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spermando posted:

That was me. I made sure to get every item and kill as many enemies as possible, and I kind of got lost in a level where the way forward is hidden behind a bunch of things hanging for the ceiling. Still, I think the in game timer doesn't count retries or cutscenes.
It didn't for RE2make, either, so that's a bit disheartening. Well, guess I'll just wait an extra week, see how it works itself out.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Was really excited to play this, but I jus tbooted it up and it commits the cardinal sin; live action intro cutscene.

What? Like the original RE?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dan Didio posted:

I'm now more excited for this game

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ErrEff posted:

What? Like the original RE?

Yeah, but not entertaining. It's like a bad version of the intro to Dawn of the Dead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aw. It's just not a proper Resident Evil intro if it isn't cheesy as all hell.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I finally started playing RE6 after buying it about three years ago. The contrast between Leon's Tall Oak stuff and RE2make is amazing considering its the same scenario on paper. Here, zombies are running and jumping, they're shooting guns and swinging axes, I'm doing elbow drops and spin kicks and face busters, I'm diving and rolling around like a maniac. I finally understand all the jokes about how Leon crashes every vehicle he's in. It's total nonstop insanity and I'm only a few chapters in. If this was the first RE game I played after 5 I probably would've been pissed along with everyone else, but now it's a fun action game that's incredibly stupid and kitschy.

Shout out to the BSAA dude in the prologue who jumped out of the helicopter to help out, that Leon and Helena happily leave behind to get consumed by a fireball while they jump into the helicopter and immediately crash it.

Anyways, while sprinting down subway tracks and dodging high speed trains I realized I absolutely won't mind 3make being only 5 hours long if it's 5 more hours of RE2make gameplay and not this poo poo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m glad you’re finding the fun at the core of RE6. It’s a real joy to play when the campaign scripting isn’t hobbling you.

Edit: here’s a fun little secret for you while you’re still in Leon’s campaign. If you have the double wing shooters equipped, you can pull the quick shot triggers multiple times to do some Equilibrium poo poo. Also, if you’re playing Helena, her hydra shotgun has a slide attack that has a combo string.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 2, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ImpAtom posted:

There is a little of that in RE3 but only a little. Instead you feel generally herded through areas which are largely comprised of corridors.

what about all the optional areas you can visit that they've been mentioning, open buildings and such? i heard the park is now optional and that kinda thing. do they really just push down one path?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Party Boat posted:

I'm now more excited for this game

its incredible and very close to home, news reporter speaking about a pandemic spreading lol incredible timing, capcom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

what about all the optional areas you can visit that they've been mentioning, open buildings and such? i heard the park is now optional and that kinda thing. do they really just push down one path?

None of that is true.

There are a few locked doors/ side areas in the city streets as seen in the demo. Once you leave there it is basically corridors until the hospital.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yeah the game might as well be on rails, the most freedom you really get to explore is the part the demo takes place in

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

its incredible and very close to home, news reporter speaking about a pandemic spreading lol incredible timing, capcom.

The Division 2 DLC is a runner-up in that regard.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

None of that is true.

There are a few locked doors/ side areas in the city streets as seen in the demo. Once you leave there it is basically corridors until the hospital.

what about the hospital, i heard that is huge now? is that true at least lol goddamnit capcom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dmmit Amazon is saying my copy isn't showing up until the 4th

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the more i think about it, the more i think maybe they should have just gone with their original plan. they were never gonna even bother with remaking 2 but people wouldnt stop asking for it after the whole gamecube confusion where we all thought 2-cv was getting remade too due to a miscomm from capcom lol. they coulda call it resident evil origins 2 - the raccoon city incident. just go all out like re6, 3 campaigns, resistance, ghost survivors, hell throw ada campaign in there too why not.

oh well, at least im not overhyped anymore, my copy is delayed until next week anyway. :shrug:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s a bummer for sure, and it’s going to be a familiar experience for Capcom. Resident Evil 2 was a perfect storm of being a remake of a smash hit game that tons of people are nostalgic for and being a legitimate masterclass in game design, and it became a super hit on those merits. But generally, games tend to sell based on the strength of their previous franchise entry, rather than their own quality. So RE3 will perform strongly, but it’s likely to undercut sales of the franchise moving forward. Re4-5-6 followed the same trajectory.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

the more i think about it, the more i think maybe they should have just gone with their original plan. they were never gonna even bother with remaking 2 but people wouldnt stop asking for it after the whole gamecube confusion where we all thought 2-cv was getting remade too due to a miscomm from capcom lol. they coulda call it resident evil origins 2 - the raccoon city incident. just go all out like re6, 3 campaigns, resistance, ghost survivors, hell throw ada campaign in there too why not.

oh well, at least im not overhyped anymore, my copy is delayed until next week anyway. :shrug:

yes, if there's one thing that Capcom should have done, it's to look at RE6 and say "let's do that again"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

what about the hospital, i heard that is huge now? is that true at least lol goddamnit capcom.

The Hospital is the largest non-street area in the game. I'm not sure I'd call it huge but it is the most RE2 section of the game by far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been rewatching some RE3 gameplay vids recently and the game was mostly comprised of alleyways, as is most of the city apparently, so I can't quite blame them for remaining true to form there.

Seriously, I keep wondering how the blazes they managed to get all those car wrecks in there. You can't possible drive two cars past each other in some of those.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

supposedly Hardcore is easier in this game than it was in RE2 so it might not be a bad idea to do that for a first playthrough to unlock Nightmare

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

supposedly Hardcore is easier in this game than it was in RE2 so it might not be a bad idea to do that for a first playthrough to unlock Nightmare

I think as long as you even vaugly bother to learn to dodge the game as a whole is easier.

It is hard to over emphasize how strong Valentime is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

yes, if there's one thing that Capcom should have done, it's to look at RE6 and say "let's do that again"

glad you agree. still kinda wish we could have seen the original re7, leon and sherry in a venice like city fighting water based virus monsters with water based guns, sliding all over. would have owned.