Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

Linux having fewer superfluous desktop environments and less needlessly duplicated effort is a pretty funny april fools day joke

I mean, Gnome only started, once KDE was already under way, because a) mah freedoms (to write commercial closed source software without paying Trolltech money for a licence) and b) 'yuck I hate c++'. And then the guy who started it talking about 'mah freedoms' ended up working for Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you sure know how to shitpost

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

feedmegin posted:

I mean, Gnome only started, once KDE was already under way, because a) mah freedoms (to write commercial closed source software without paying Trolltech money for a licence) and b) 'yuck I hate c++'. And then the guy who started it talking about 'mah freedoms' ended up working for Microsoft.

lol yeah rms was so mad at de icaza

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Miguel is a good guy who's efforts effectively brought good tools to Linux. you still shouldn't use Linux if you can afford not to, but if you have to atleast you can run .NET stuff now.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome rejected java-gnome because oh no, java might be technically un-free because the tck isn't open

gnome rejected gtk# and mono because ??? microsoft ??? lawsuits ? ? ??? just magical thinking

gnome started their own horrible language (vala) and then abandoned it because it sucked

gnome is going to be C-only forever, and it will be the worst possible C forever, because they still require an object system, and the one they rolled themselves sucks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome rejected java-gnome because oh no, java might be technically un-free because the tck isn't open

gnome rejected gtk# and mono because ??? microsoft ??? lawsuits ? ? ??? just magical thinking

gnome started their own horrible language (vala) and then abandoned it because it sucked

gnome is going to be C-only forever, and it will be the worst possible C forever, because they still require an object system, and the one they rolled themselves sucks

the alternative is probably, javascript. i don't really care about people that complain about this stuff, sorry. that said i don't care about gnome

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Vala isn't abandoned. It may suck, but it's certainly not abandoned.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

the alternative is probably, javascript. i don't really care about people that complain about this stuff, sorry. that said i don't care about gnome

gnome does have some kind of js binding but i don't know of any applications that use it aside from gnome-shell itself

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I think it would be a lot easier to criticize gtk for this if the situation with qt bindings for other languages wasn't also complete garbage as well (unless you like qt quick + javascript I guess).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

I think it would be a lot easier to criticize gtk for this if the situation with qt bindings for other languages wasn't also complete garbage as well (unless you like qt quick + javascript I guess).

pyqt isn’t bad tbh

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

at least qt is c++

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

mystes posted:

don't use qt bindings to p-langs
just use c++

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tankakern posted:

at least qt is c++

it isn't, though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zlodo posted:

don't use qt bindings to p-langs
just use c++

no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

the qt bindings for other languages are pretty good

kde libraries specifically are not so good -- usually the only obvious methods to integrate with kde are either using c++, or message passing via dbus/dcop. at least it's built on c++ and not c, i guess

that's also the problem with gnome. gtk has perfectly adequate bindings for better languages, but gnome has adopted none of them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

it isn't, though

lame nitpick

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

has anyone here any headphones with buttons on the cable, but the cable is only connected to the computer through the jack connector? bose qc25 is an example of what i mean

have anyone gotten those buttons to work on linux (lol sound on linux)? my understanding is that it is 100% dependent on the driver for your soundcard if it's implemented or not, but i'm not sure

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
dont do that if you can avoid it

i have a sennheiser pxc 550, which has some issues like "eventually the wiring to the left speaker wears out and stops working", but i had mine replaced under warranty and got a new pair after two years of decent usage

i only ever connect it to a computer over usb, which exposes multiple usb devices to the os:

* audio device, to play music
* keyboard, to support media controls

so tapping the right side of the earphones issues the "play/pause" button for extended keyboards, swiping up on the right earphone does the "volume up" key

great way of interacting with headphones in addition to the audio being perfect since its sent losslessly and digitally to the DAC in the headphones, and the noise canceling stuff is kept powered via usb instead of draining the headhpone battery

(i have no experience with bose qc25 or other bose headphones, if this isnt feasible then get better headhpones)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

has anyone here any headphones with buttons on the cable, but the cable is only connected to the computer through the jack connector? bose qc25 is an example of what i mean

have anyone gotten those buttons to work on linux (lol sound on linux)? my understanding is that it is 100% dependent on the driver for your soundcard if it's implemented or not, but i'm not sure

it's very plausible that you could get the builtin mic working via hda-jack-retask, but i don't think the controls will ever work

it's weird proprietary stuff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hmhm

https://source.android.com/devices/accessories/headset/plug-headset-spec

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I made a thing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/fw9trz/i_added_retroarch_to_buildroot_so_you_can_build/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they published this because every vendor uses a different "standard". there's more than one version of bose qc25 based on which phone you owned at the time lol

there's a reason the bose qc35 is wireless -- bluetooth is standardized

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rip kde

quote:

But last week, the company suddenly informed both the KDE e.V. board and the
KDE Free QT Foundation that the economic outlook caused by the Corona virus
puts more pressure on them to increase short-term revenue. As a result, they
are thinking about restricting ALL Qt releases to paid license holders for the
first 12 months. They are aware that this would mean the end of contributions
via Open Governance in practice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they completely go under doesn't the license for all the the non-lgpl parts automatically convert to lgpl or something?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
and also

quote:

What does this mean for the future of Qt and for the future of KDE?

All software changes in Qt will still be available at as Open Source as
required by our contract – maybe with a delay of 12 months if the company
decides to part ways with the communities.

We will continue to work on a contract update that helps all sides. But even
if these negotiations were to be unilaterally stopped by The Qt Company, Qt
will stay Open Source, and KDE will be able to use it. I am also absolutely
sure that the Qt + KDE communities will continue cooperation on new features,
bug fixes, and security fixes, even should The Qt Company decide to forgo the
benefits of cooperation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It won't really affect KDE, but if lgpl qt and proprietary qt end up diverging slightly more again it could be a huge pain in the rear end for other people who are trying to use qt for cross-platform software.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

If they completely go under doesn't the license for all the the non-lgpl parts automatically convert to lgpl or something?

It sounds like Qt Company is happy to reneg on the contract at this point.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

It sounds like Qt Company is happy to reneg on the contract at this point.

it sounds like the qt company is in some serious poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbTEVbQLC8s

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

loving hell

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lord in heaven what did i just watch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

it just keeps going

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Is this ironic or just real bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xik posted:

advertising admits no irony

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Xik posted:

its gnu/linux op

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Agile Vector posted:

its gnu/linux op

don't think I'm a fan of this gnu slash linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how can this be the first time all of you have seen that?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I present to you the Qt 5 Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbVRpRgHso

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there a gtk 4 dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum