Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

StrixNebulosa posted:

AC Odyssey decides that if you picked the lady lead to be the main character and played her as a lesbian, gently caress you. In this DLC she has a baby with a dude because there needs to be an assassin bloodline, or some bullshit like that.

I've decided it isn't canon.

It's particularly astounding because they'd already written out the need for a direct blood lineage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

John Murdoch posted:

This doesn't actually mean much. Cities: Skylines isn't developed by Paradox either but it 100% conforms to their lovely DLC scheme nonetheless.

I dunno if Planetfall is really going that way, but I will say that the pricing on the base game vs. season pass vs. ultimate everything included edition has been pretty bullshit. I got a raw deal by buying just the deluxe edition early.

Planetfall's DLC pricing is very definitely paradox.

Planetfall's DLC additions and how patches affect the base game are decidedly not paradox. Paradox has nothing to do with Planetfall's development past the "new content" mandate. My point is saying Paradox made an Age of Wonders game boring somehow and there will just be endless tides of DLC that never makes things better is being deliberately ignorant of the game in question and a bad answer.

AoW3's DLC was like 5 bucks less than the Planetfall season pass anyway, and that was decidedly pre-PDox.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 1, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goferchan posted:

The article says it exceeded sales goals, they just spent way too much money developing it and the bonus is based on profits, not sales. 95 million for the base game, $140 million for the game + DLC, and if I'm understanding correctly they didn't even have to pay for licensing UE4 because they went Epic exclusive. 140 million is crazy, that's like GTA or Red Dead money.
the article gives the base game's budget as $155 million.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Paradox has nothing to do with Planetfall's development past the "new content" mandate.

Paradox has owned Triumph for almost three years now so that seems unlikely? Like yeah it hasn’t been branded part of PDS but “nothing” seems a bit much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

god, asscreed origins is a huge game. I feel like I put so many hours into it, and... nope, still a ton more to do. anyways, reinstalling it because it'll save me from buying odyssey.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Dunno why I thought of this, but what was the name of that failed PC subscription service from a few years ago, the one that was supposed to focus on retro games?
gamepump is what you're thinking of, but there's also a new sub service for retro games (arcade, C64, spectrum, amiga, megadrive) called antstream

https://www.antstream.com/gameslist

it's europe/UK only right now though, no US

also it's cloud streaming (lol), which is probably the main reason why they've gotten actual support from publishers (they just added taito games this week)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Here's an interesting game that I've had my eye on for a while but hadn't picked up. I just noticed it is currently a huge 90% off when the usual discount is 25%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvoH80Twrc

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1002420/Agartha/

It looks like Noita mixed with Clonk and I Wanna Be The Guy except it came out before Noita. Surely worth a buck at least.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How beefy of a PC do I need to run Bannerlord at non-clunky playable level?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

Well, Low settings makes it look like Warband it seems...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really wouldn't get it right now, almost nothing works right, the balance of the sandbox stuff is completely broken with lords getting destroyed by basic bandits. Most of the skills are a horrific grind or don't work right, there's out right trap options at character creation (You can put 15 points into crossbow, but there is only 1 crossbow in the game and if you don't have 20 crossbow points you won't be able to use it because there's no other way to get or train with a crossbow.) Crafting is all broken. One of the factions have the basic troops bugged, on half the troop tree is missing.

If you have your audio settings too high it'll slow down or outright crash your game.

Sieges will sometimes spawn a castle when they shouldn't so your enemy just runs into a wall while you drop rocks on their head.

leveling stuff is super broken, you have to use skills to level them, but it takes forever and the game doesn't tell you what you have to use to level a given skill.

If you go to a Sea Raiders settlement the game will crash.

selling prisoners by selling all will not give you your rogue points (the only way I can see to get them.)

selling prisoners individually will crash the game.

speaking of skills, you're quickly outpaced by everyone in the game, so you're permanently an under levelled scrub that gets their poo poo pushed in by everyone around you.

A bunch of items are not working, because the developers forgot to mark them for singleplayer as well as multiplayer, and you have to open an .xml file and set 340+ lines of code "multiplayeronly=true" to "multiplayeronly= " if you set it to false, it won't work.

The rules about movement speed are opaque as poo poo, you can both have too many or not enough horses, so you're constantly managing your inventory so you can move at more than a snails pace. It's incredibly early access, but goons are acting like it's not, which is frustrating when you have severely limited funds and you just want to buy something nice for yourself during the quarantine.

No I didn't get burned on a goon recommendation, why do you ask? :v:

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 2, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Look Sir Droids posted:

I've got 16 gigs of ram, a 970 and a massively outdated processor in the form of an I7-2600 and I can comfortably run it on high with about 800 dudes in a fight. I get the occasional frame hitch that is likely the aforementioned sound thing but the game stays in the 50-60 range pretty much 99% of the time. The post above this one happened for a reason though - game is good, Warband 1.5 in mostly improved ways, but game is also jank pretty hard at the moment and the recent patches have helped a lot but there's still more to fix. If you liked Warband and know you're going to stick with it by all means go for it, I personally think there's a ton of fun to be had and actual fights play like a dream, but if you're expecting something super polished after the last seven years or however long it's been, uh, don't,

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 2, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boba Pearl posted:

:words: about Bannerlord

Thanks for this post. I was seriously considering getting it after watching a couple early gameplay videos, but I really have no time for it right now so I think I'll hold off and let it progress some more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Boba Pearl posted:

I really wouldn't get it right now, almost nothing works right, the balance of the sandbox stuff is completely broken with lords getting destroyed by basic bandits. Most of the skills are a horrific grind or don't work right, there's out right trap options at character creation (You can put 15 points into crossbow, but there is only 1 crossbow in the game and if you don't have 20 crossbow points you won't be able to use it because there's no other way to get or train with a crossbow.) Crafting is all broken. One of the factions have the basic troops bugged, on half the troop tree is missing.

No I didn't get burned on a goon recommendation, why do you ask? :v:
lmao holy poo poo.

i'm glad i have no interest in those type of pure sandboxy games like Kenshi and bannerlord stuff because my brain is broken and i need big strong wet daddy to hold my hand or else i gently caress around and get bored in 30 minutes

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, it's even Mounter and Bladder.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

selling prisoners by selling all will not give you your rogue points (the only way I can see to get them.)

selling prisoners individually will crash the game.

GOTY

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

drat horror queefs posted:

Employees working for a notorious piece of poo poo even for the games industry: "duhhh how could this happun 2 me :saddowns:"

Please do not do this.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

So, it's even Mounter and Bladder.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it. After playing Bannerlord I don't think I could ever go back to Warband. But if you're still playing Warband happily and don't feel any shortcomings, I'd hesitate to call this a must buy.

Everything's smoother, runs better, looks better, works better (or doesn't work #earlyaccess). Lots of quality of life changes that add up to a much better experience, but it's still fundamentally the same experience. This is how I'd rate it.

Loved Warband, miss it, want new version - Must buy
Loved Warband, still playing, don't have any issues with it - Good buy if you have cash to spare
Liked Warband, but wish it was a bit better - Probably the group that will feel the changes the most
Liked Warband but don't miss it - Eh, no rush, wait for a sale or something
Disliked Warband fundamentally - No need for this at all

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Disposable Scud posted:

Is there anything like quakespasm of gzdoom for Unreal?

There's nothing like that for Unreal because the source code was never released. The best way to play it now is to install the 227i patch, it comes with modern DirectX and OpenGL renderers and fixes some bugs. I played through Unreal recently with it and didn't have any problems.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So yeah Planetfall kinda owns and wow it's late now.

Where is the planetfall thread?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 2, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Planetfall thread.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ShootaBoy posted:

Can someone give a brief rundown on each of the AC Odyssey DLCs? Trying to decide if I wanna jump on the season pass at $20 or not.

Note: No one say a drat thing about that one part of that one DLC. I don't care, and I don't want to end up in a huge derail, I just want to know about the actual content in the DLCs, thank you.
Legacy of the First Blade:
It's a story in 3 acts that takes you to less visited places on the gigantic map.
The missions are quite formulaic in that each act, you do two or three quests in sequence, then get three missions that can be handled in parallel before you end up with the end quest.
While it's more of the same that you have played in the main game, there are references to Origins, and yes there is also that one part...
You will get a new page of enemies you'll have to find and defeat before unlocking the final boss.
There are new talents to be unlocked and I believe it's also in this DLC that a special forge will be unlocked to further enhance weapons and armor.

The Fate of Atlantis:
Again a 3 act story, but this time set in a whole new world (or rather 3).
Like the second DLC from Origins, this DLC way more fun to play, simply because of the new settings.
New enemies, new talents, new ways of travel etc.

If you only get one, go for The Fate of Atlantis, but if you grab the Season Pass, you'll get both along with Assassins' Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you are like me and have an interest in playing Black Mesa now that it's complete, check your Humble Bundle account. My most recent purchase on that site was the April 2017 Humble Monthly for The Witness. I just noticed that Black Mesa was apparently included. I unfortunately gave away everything but The Witness, but you may have better luck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MGS5 Definitive is only $6 on PSN and I wish they'd have the same sale on steam instead :(

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The Locator posted:

Thanks for this post. I was seriously considering getting it after watching a couple early gameplay videos, but I really have no time for it right now so I think I'll hold off and let it progress some more.

:same:

I've never played Warband, but was hearing so much good about Bannerlord I thought I'd give it a shot.

Maybe I should just get Warband the next time it's like $2.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Between the uplay sale and the "pay 100 uplay tokens to get a 20% off coupon" I just snagged Far Cry 5+New Dawn+all DLC for 33$

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bannerlord is extremely good; it's actually an early access game in the original sense of paying to be a beta tester, so if that doesn't appeal save yourself the grief and wait a couple months

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

The Chad Jihad posted:

Bannerlord is extremely good; it's actually an early access game in the original sense of paying to be a beta tester, so if that doesn't appeal save yourself the grief and wait a couple months

Game's been in development 8 years, might take more than a month or two...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
pulled the trigger on state of decay 2

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fart of Presto posted:

The Fate of Atlantis:
Again a 3 act story, but this time set in a whole new world (or rather 3).
Like the second DLC from Origins, this DLC way more fun to play, simply because of the new settings.
New enemies, new talents, new ways of travel etc.

If you only get one, go for The Fate of Atlantis, but if you grab the Season Pass, you'll get both along with Assassins' Creed III Remastered and Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered.

This helped me a lot too, thanks. I now have the Season Pass!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Network42 posted:

Game's been in development 8 years, might take more than a month or two...

Oh yeah there's no way this things been actively developed for 8 years, I'd love to know how many times it was put on hiatus

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
What happened to Greenmangaming? There used to be pretty much always be a coupon code, and now I can't for the life of me find one that works.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

More of the Microsoft back catalog making its way to Steam. I might give it a shot just as a way to spend some time floating around on pretty waves and pretending the whole world isn’t crumbling around me.

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1245712907876421637

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anno posted:

More of the Microsoft back catalog making its way to Steam. I might give it a shot just as a way to spend some time floating around on pretty waves and pretending the whole world isn’t crumbling around me.

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1245712907876421637

Huh. I played the alpha of this and wanted to go back and give it a shot with Xbox Game Pass for PC or whatever amazing name marketing came up with. I was thinking the same thing, would be great with friends right about now. I think getting the Microsoft Store and Xbox client and all that scared a lot of people off, so maybe this will help.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm hoping someone will hack this together since there is definitely plenty of interest in a non-vr solution but also I imagine much of the fun relies on the novelty of doing stuff with your hands

already in the works

Basically someone got a hold of an earlier version that had all the tools in it. Its totally doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPLieBpiU8

e: though even still it wont work quite right, because it was made for VR. But it could work with m/b.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Between the uplay sale and the "pay 100 uplay tokens to get a 20% off coupon" I just snagged Far Cry 5+New Dawn+all DLC for 33$

I kinda went hog wild on that too.
Got AC:Origins/Odyssey and
FC:New Dawn/Blood Dragon

Thats enough open world goodness to last me months.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 2, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
writes strix's name in the Big Book of Cool People with Good Opinions About Games, finds it already there, underlines it twice

State of Decay 2 is fun and even runs okay on my 2011 era laptop.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The only problem with picking up Far Cry is that I now have to put up with the worst part of every FC: the opening. They're always theatrical, slow, and I just want to be flying around the map already!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whats the best Goat Simulator type game? I tried the OG recently and it did not age well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

write's strix's name in the Big Book of Cool People with Good Opinions About Games, finds it already there, underlines it twice

State of Decay 2 is fun and even runs okay on my 2011 era laptop.

Awwwww, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sea of Thieves is incredibly fun with friends (and some of my friends have had fun with strangers too). Heavy rec for when it comes to steam.