Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

You can attach any of the attach points to any other one, as long as it's horizontal-horizontal and vertical-vertical. You also don't actually need to attach any of the parts at all, you can put them all in a floating mess if you want to.

Lmao

I'm going to do that from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's particularly desirable for defence platforms, just dot a few of the defence discs around your factory floating, gives you max coverage.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe some of the AI stations have that arrangement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of defence platforms, are you (in your own sector, anyway) still able to set up platforms behind the gates, so that if pirates/xenon fly through, they immediately get shot in the back? I recall doing that in X3TC, but I'm not sure if it's possible/worth doing in X4

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

In x3 there is a ring of fire mod where you got, oos of course, set a ship to deploy a circle of laser towers around the edge of a gate.

It was pretty darn cool.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just really started playing the game. I bought a miner in argon prime and set its behavior to mine silicon. It mined up a full cargo hold, but now it is sitting at "calculating parameters" forever. Is there something I need to do in order to boot it in the thrusters?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

So Egosoft really doesn't want us to get our first autotrader until a few dozen hours into the game? The star gain on captains is absurdly slow still and it's really hard to get the higher level seminars for them.

I also don't really understand how to find good trades by myself on the map, even if somewhere has a shortage it's still buying the goods for less than they sell.

Distribute Wares is a kind of shittier autotrader, but 2 stars is a lot easier to get than 3.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Does automated exploration work better in this now than it did around release? I remember AI-controlled ships frequently getting stuck when doing it.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Is there a recommended video or written tutorial for 3.0 for someone that's been away for the series for a long time? I have been waiting for a while to see this patched, and it looks like a good time to start playing finally.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just really started playing the game. I bought a miner in argon prime and set its behavior to mine silicon. It mined up a full cargo hold, but now it is sitting at "calculating parameters" forever. Is there something I need to do in order to boot it in the thrusters?

Did you just give it a mine command or the auto mine command? The former literally just mines a full cargo hold and then waits for orders. The latter sells its cargo and starts again.

Also, quick early cash tip: Find nvidium. It's a huge early game boost until the trade stations fill up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pylons posted:

Distribute Wares is a kind of shittier autotrader, but 2 stars is a lot easier to get than 3.

So I need a lot of satellite coverage for that to work right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of defence platforms, are you (in your own sector, anyway) still able to set up platforms behind the gates, so that if pirates/xenon fly through, they immediately get shot in the back? I recall doing that in X3TC, but I'm not sure if it's possible/worth doing in X4

X3 didn't allow stations to have weapons. But yes you can do it in X4. Though it requires some fiddling to get the plot to surround the gate.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Oh God I haven’t played since making a few mill at launch and I just tried to start again from the beginning and have no idea what to do. I thought there were tutorial missions?

E: ahahah I got a station mission to find a lockbox, my captain flew me there and I promptly exploded. I love this series.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 2, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Oh God I haven’t played since making a few mill at launch and I just tried to start again from the beginning and have no idea what to do. I thought there were tutorial missions?

The tutorials are three, standalone missions in the "Choose a start" screen.

As for how to start, crystal mining in your starting fighter. One of the tutorials covers it!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you reliably find crystals? One crystal node netted me 125k and I am jonesing for that return again.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Phi230 posted:

How do you reliably find crystals? One crystal node netted me 125k and I am jonesing for that return again.

I fly 15-20k past the edge of a field of asteroids and turn around and park, then just scan for the little two-blink white "twinkle" on any of the asteroids, which shows up every...five seconds or so? As soon as I spot one I select the asteroid so I don't lose it (or if I see two, I'll select one and then fly to the other).

You don't need scan mode or anything, just a slightly-keen eye. It's like staring at the ground for 30 seconds before you start to see all of the ants. It gets pretty easy to spot one, kill it, and then spot another, just moving through the field.

Colors range from purple at the low end, around the color wheel to red, and finally white as the most valuable. The "hotter" the color, the richer the vein.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's literally just down to how good your eyes are which I quite like, the crystals are there, you just want to position yourself so you can see as many rocks as possible and watch for twinkles, all the crystals have their own twinkle pattern too based on their rarity though I haven't catalogued them. Also I'm colourblind so I can't see most of the colours anyway.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

So I need a lot of satellite coverage for that to work right?

Not really. Station information lasts for 5 hours, so I haven't found it necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you have ships doing regular traffic to the area you'll probably not need a satellite but I think it's a good idea to drop them near high value trading spots just to make sure you can always find those goods/buyers. So, ship production facilities, claytronics/hull parts etc factories for station building, trading stations.

Also a good idea for places that are off the highway loop or a long way from the the gates, places less likely to be pinged by your ships.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There's also a handy mod that makes the crystals glow if it doesn't feel too cheaty to you. Still requires a fair bit of flying around to spot the things, but less tedious than it otherwise would be.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I find it helps if you turn off your HUD (shift+H) and cockpit (ctrl+H) when looking for crystals.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Drunk in Space posted:

I find it helps if you turn off your HUD (shift+H) and cockpit (ctrl+H) when looking for crystals.

Oh absolutely, I forgot you could do that. My ship has a bigass cockpit dome above it, so I've been parking and mouselooking up, but thats uh WAY better

Heretic's End is a great system to do this in - it's a systemwide asteroid field, and the Haktivah Free League station there lets you sell the unstable crystals that are normally illegal in civilized space.

EDIT: OwlFancier is right, there IS a distinct twinkle to each, but I've only seen purples and blues so far in my test run. Purple be like "blink....bli-blink....blink." Blue is all, "blink...blink.blink...blink" It's subtle, but it's enough of a difference that I was able to hunt specifically for blues, looking for the slower double-blink. No idea what the other colors do, but I suspect they blink less for rarity's sake.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So, ore mining worked out and I have a few million now. I bought two Eclipse Vanguards so I could have a small wing to help me out fighting the Xenon.

Oh Egosoft.

Wings still seem to be completely broken and they don't follow you the majority of the time and when they do they don't use their fast drives so they're flying at 225m/s when I'm 80km away and getting blown up.

I'm kinda disappointed that the game is still this fundamentally broken after all this time, I had high hopes for 3.0.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How skilled are the pilots?

Because that actually massively affects combat behaviour, low skill pilots are dumber than a box of rocks, but high skill ones can be quite decent, though at that point you obviously don't want them in fighter ships :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 2, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

How skilled are the pilots?

Because that actually massively affects combat behaviour, low skill pilots are dumber than a box of rocks, but high skill ones can be quite decent, though at that point you obviously don't want them in fighter ships :v:

2 stars. I'm downloading a mod to just give me high skill pilots because there is no way Egosoft playtested this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No that's intended behaviour, it's a silly one, I agree, but intended.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think I have my automated miner mostly straightened out. He is earning some money now.

Right now I feel like my biggest hurdle is just exploration. Some of the stations are out in the middle of nowhere, and flying to everything seems tedious. In X3 I would have sent a scout or two out with the explore command to drop satellites in the center of each sector. What is the best way to explore here?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Long range scan mode and hold R until like .5 seconds from when it overcharges. You'll get ? marks where all the nearby stations are you can fly there yourself or better have a fast ship following you around and just order it to fly to the stations while you look for the next gate you need.

Timing is annoyingly important here though. A fully charged blast seems to go about twice as far.

Satellites are for if you want to do a lot of manual trading. I personally drop one by every pirate base/trade station/shipyard. Shipyards are always buying things like hull parts, pirate bases always have the best buy prices for drugs, and trade stations because they're reliable for all other goods. If you don't plan to do manual trades don't worry about them your stations seem to be able to find local prices on their own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The explore command does seem to work now, the ship spirals out from the point you tell it to explore.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Had a squad of 6 pulsars guarding a gate that xenon fighters kept spilling through - occasionally with a swarm of friendlies, occasionally without - they must have racked up dozens of kills of Ms, Ns, and Ps. Their piloting skill went from like 1.25 - 1.75 stars or so to 1.75 - 2.25. What sort of kill ratio does a pilot need to be considered skilled ;_;

The whole buying seminars from traders thing helps, but I don't know how you are supposed to know about it without reading about it on forums. It certainly doesnt make any organic gameplay sense. It just underlines how annoying theyve decided to make it. If you want to get even minimally skilled pilots it any quantity you have to run around to a bunch of stations on foot talking to random traders. And then you have to comm EACH pilot multiple times in order to use the seminars. How could anyone think this was a good idea? Like, they made it easier to transfer marines, so they felt they need to satisfy their stupid crew bullshit quotient?

Mission reward seminars are even more screwy. An early game mission might offer 30000-50000 credits, or maybe it will offer a 200 credit seminar you can just buy from a trader. What?

Other than the crew bullshit i'm enjoying 3.0 quite a lot. My previous game I played as a Paranid, and I was hostile to Argon for most of it. So most Argon space is stella incognita to me, and I'm going Argon this time. I'm having fun poking around seeing whats there. I haven't found any gates to Split space yet. Most of my money thus far has come from boarding a wounded FAF Rattlesnake. It only had 11 marines left - the others I'd seen had like 40 veterans and uh gently caress that. The cap was timely, as two Xenon Ks chose that time to mosey on up to a trade station that had most of my limited fleet docked at. Trip report: 4x forward guns is *hilariously* good at destroying Ks. I didn't even have any operational turrets! poo poo's OP AF.

I found the muon chargers you start with as the scientist to be very frustrating. It took forever to kill xenon fighters - they were too good at dodging to land hits consistently enough - and you cant just hold the button down. Avoid, imo. Life got 300x easier when I managed to take over a Venture Minotaur Raider. Argon ships really feel like they had more work put into them than many other races... I love the cover plate on the Minotaur's airlock, the Drill's cool zeppelin cockpit, and the Courier actually having an interior.

Thom12255 posted:

So, ore mining worked out and I have a few million now. I bought two Eclipse Vanguards so I could have a small wing to help me out fighting the Xenon.

Oh Egosoft.

Wings still seem to be completely broken and they don't follow you the majority of the time and when they do they don't use their fast drives so they're flying at 225m/s when I'm 80km away and getting blown up.

I'm kinda disappointed that the game is still this fundamentally broken after all this time, I had high hopes for 3.0.

You probably left them with an order or an override or something like that. Wings are p good at sticking together now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The explore command does seem to work now, the ship spirals out from the point you tell it to explore.
It'd be neat if higher-skilled pilots chose more optimal search patterns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

It'd be neat if higher-skilled pilots chose more optimal search patterns.

Eh, it's fairly decent for exhaustively uncovering the map starting at the point you order, which is what you want from that command, IMO. It could be a bit better about pathing but it gets the job done.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I found the muon chargers you start with as the scientist to be very frustrating. It took forever to kill xenon fighters - they were too good at dodging to land hits consistently enough - and you cant just hold the button down. Avoid, imo. Life got 300x easier when I managed to take over a Venture Minotaur Raider. Argon ships really feel like they had more work put into them than many other races... I love the cover plate on the Minotaur's airlock, the Drill's cool zeppelin cockpit, and the Courier actually having an interior.

Muon chargers are kinda crap tbh, but if you like the argon you'll really like the split, they changed the art team and it really shows, the split are some of the best art they've done, IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 3, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, it's fairly decent for exhaustively uncovering the map starting at the point you order, which is what you want from that command, IMO. It could be a bit better about pathing but it gets the job done.

Muon chargers are kinda crap tbh, but if you like the argon you'll really like the split, they changed the art team and it really shows, the split are some of the best art they've done, IMO.

You arn't wrong! I just found a Raptor for the first time. Holy poo poo, that thing is loving amazing. A huge *quasi-internal* docking bay with like 15? pads. Big entrance door and a smaller 'launch rail' opening that runs half the length of the ship. Comes complete with interior security turrets. Order now!

Split philosophy seems to be 'make the ship OP'... I always veer away from them because their ships are typically OP AF in player hands. Firepower and speed is just such a useful combo.

Also found a station wreck in a wreck field that had a little airlock entrance on it with some loot inside some corridors. The cool part is that the wreck was spinning, so you are synced to it like a capital ship. So as you are maneuvering near the wreck, the background spins around you, including seeing your ship every revolution. It turns a glorified lockbox into a very Space encounter.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
How do research work in this game ?
I just obtained the PHQ with the dock. I built a storage module because although the tutorial doesn't tell you so, you need to store the material to run a research somewhere.
However I can't figure out an easy way of procuring those materials...
I have 2 (container) transport ship with level 3 pilots. I tried assigning them to "trade" for the station but they only seem to be doing auto trading, only using the station funds instead of my own ? How do I set them up to buy (and only buy) for the station ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Krogort posted:

How do research work in this game ?
I just obtained the PHQ with the dock. I built a storage module because although the tutorial doesn't tell you so, you need to store the material to run a research somewhere.
However I can't figure out an easy way of procuring those materials...
I have 2 (container) transport ship with level 3 pilots. I tried assigning them to "trade" for the station but they only seem to be doing auto trading, only using the station funds instead of my own ? How do I set them up to buy (and only buy) for the station ?

I don't think you can, actually. Buy/sell for has been replaced with "trade for" which automates the whole thing. But research costing resources is a new thing and may not reflect an actual "demand" for the station. It generally works fine if you give a station a good few traders and it's producing things, but it might not work for research.

You can set up in the logical overview, what levels to sell product at, and can sometimes add/remove buy/sell offers from the station, so maybe if you remove all the sell options for the things you want to stockpile or set their sell price really high so nobody buys them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I've had 3 traders assigned to the HQ and they do collect the research items overtime - a few of the items are pretty rare near the game start though so it takes a while. And remember you need solid storage containers for the Nvidium or it'll show as 0/0.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So did the Split expansion make things good? Is it worth picking this up finally?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was irresponsible and bought it anyway.

It's still the same game, it just has more sectors and more content. Which is good, but if you don't like the core loop of empire building you'll probably not enjoy it.

The majority of the improvements, IMO, have been from 1.0 to 3.0, I liked the game at launch so I can't really tell you if you'll like it.

The split territory has a lot of potential for more wars to happen which i think is good, and is a more interesting layout than the highway loop sectors.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

3.0 has fixed a lot but some design decisions are still incredibly stupid (but easy enough to fix with mods). VRO is great but I wish someone would come along with a Litcube's-scale overhaul. Still, it's probably the best game for this specific type of itch out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Erm, that HAT quest line sure was ... something.