Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My VAR just emailed me and said they have an full stock of elite books if we need to order anything, so if any of you are needing to order laptops, check with your vars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

My VAR just emailed me and said they have an full stock of elite books if we need to order anything, so if any of you are needing to order laptops, check with your vars

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We've been handed a directive to look at abandoning zoom over cybersec concerns, anyone have any recommendations for conferencing software? I see teams getting shade thrown at it in this thread, is it just standard griping about it or is it uniquely bad?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Webex is probably you next best bet if you just need video conferencing

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Defenestrategy posted:

We've been handed a directive to look at abandoning zoom over cybersec concerns, anyone have any recommendations for conferencing software? I see teams getting shade thrown at it in this thread, is it just standard griping about it or is it uniquely bad?

Speaking as a new user: it's fine.

The user interface is not particuarly intuitive and you do have to handhold novices at the start more than you would skype users, due to some stupid design decisions (why are pop-ups/notifications called 'banners' instead of 'pop-up', 'notification' or 'annoying purple box in the bottom my screen'?)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Currently we just use Zoom as our video conferencing/phone solution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams is fine, it's probably already licensed if you use Office 365, the chat part of it is perfectly usable, the video conferencing has never really caused me any huge problems. You can add dial-in for people that need to create meetings with external attendees that can't manage PC audio.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Webex is quite literally Satan.

We use Teams and it works great, but we already had full O365 licencing. I liked Zoom as well for functionality, but their approach to security has kinda ruined them in my eyes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Check out https://jitsi.org/ which is an open source Zoom alternative

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it helps your dilemma, Pluralsight is free for April.

Nice, thanks for this, sadly they are apparently getting crushed right now and I keep getting errors when trying to activate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

Nice, thanks for this, sadly they are apparently getting crushed right now and I keep getting errors when trying to activate.

Yeah, my work buys it for us and I can't even access my paid account right now haha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a SANS course (SEC530/GDSA) next week too which I forgot my work bought me like 6 months ago, so that bodes well for learning while working from home for me!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it helps your dilemma, Pluralsight is free for April.

Oh sweet. I'll take a look at this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hot take:

Zooms response to the massive amount of interest and investment to their platform has been very well done. Two 0 days that require physical access do not RCE make. And I thought the UNC path was a Windows bug? I might be misremembering however.

Obviously there’s items of genuine concern there - the Facebook SDK being one of them, these security items being another.

But no software is free of bugs, I expected a lot worse, their PR strategy is pretty good and no freaking way am I open sourcing corporate video conferencing without a support agreement.

How else am I going to pass the buck when poo poo breaks?

Also thanks on the pluralsight fallout that’s huge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I actually just changed the thread title to tell people about Pluralsight, just to spread the good news while we're all home.

Now taking suggestions on what to rename it to afterwards.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Working in IT 3.0: hang your pants at the door

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I should totally do the comedy option and get an A+ cert during this whole work from home thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: Pleurisy is free for May

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So a few days ago my boss demanded that we push Zoom clients to everyone in the org because <reasons>

I told him it probably wasn't a great idea since we already had like a half dozen other platforms we could use, we weren't familiar with zoom, and I have specific issues with their approach to security including but not limited to their data collection policies.

Today my boss received an email about windows credentials being potentially phished through a bug in zoom and he flipped a poo poo.
Then he directly forwarded an old email I sent him about all the reasons we shouldn't use zoom to the top brass.

I'm not especially happy about it because it wasn't worded in the most professional manner, but now I get to be the Anti-Zoom authority so I guess that's cool.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: Not Remotely Working

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Podima posted:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Support requests went up 57% last month. Hoping things calm down now that people are settling in to their third week working from home.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dick Trauma posted:

Support requests went up 57% last month. Hoping things calm down now that people are settling in to their third week working from home.

Look at you with your fancy metrics :D

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A year ago or so I began sending my bosses a monthly report to show them requests, categories, top requesters, tickets closed, etc. I don't think any of them read it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Dick Trauma posted:

A year ago or so I began sending my bosses a monthly report to show them requests, categories, top requesters, tickets closed, etc. I don't think any of them read it.

I once stuck in a picture of a gerbil wearing a pimp hat, and didn't get a response. Stopped doing the briefs and got reprimanded. Nobody ever asked me to start doing them.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Imagine having all your support requests come in through the same place where one can actually track them. :sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Working in IT 3.0: May your VPN and VOIP be up and your ticket count be down

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

J posted:

Imagine having all your support requests come in through the same place where one can actually track them. :sigh:

Log all your requests in as a ticket. Back at the ad agency I'd have a clipboard with me all the time, anything that I was asked got turned into a ticket at the end of the day. My metrics kicked rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Podima posted:

Winner.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Log all your requests in as a ticket. Back at the ad agency I'd have a clipboard with me all the time, anything that I was asked got turned into a ticket at the end of the day. My metrics kicked rear end.

For many years I've used a FileMaker database to track inventory, software and tickets. I update it for each new job. At the very least it makes it much easier for me to keep track of things and maintain a knowledge base for when a weird problem recurs.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anybody that suggests a Zoom Alternative that requires on-premise infrastructure does not understand one of the foundational appeals of Zoom in a time like this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Crosspost from the VR thread, if anyone wants I made a 60 second loop of the rooftop scene from Alyx that you can use as an animated Virtual Background for Zoom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki58rtsw3zvwv7o/AlyxZoomLoop.mp4?dl=0

edit:

CFO: Holy poo poo! I heard that Zoom has security issues, people could hack into the webcams on Mac at one point!

Me, an intellectual: Macs themselves could be hacked into by typing "root" with no password, and that somehow got less press: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16711782/apple-macos-high-sierra-critical-password-security-flaw

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 3, 2020

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The NSA has had my dick pics since like 2012, i'm not concerned about my webcam security anymore.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Losing my poo poo at getting SSRS reports to format correctly and consistently.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Losing my poo poo at getting SSRS reports to format correctly and consistently.

Wait till you all yourself "why are we still formatting reports to fit 8.5x11?"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
LMAO, central IT sent out a mail to please be considerate when using the VPN because they are seeing that most traffic goes straight back to the outside Internet again.

I have no idea why they don't just push a route for our /8 and leave the rest alone. Turns out hijacking all steam/youtube/netflix/windows updates for everyone is a terrible, terrible idea.

Let's see how long it'll take them to do the sensible thing instead of writing mails nobody reads.

(I, for one, just overwrite the routes set by the VPN client, because screw you.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My uni only has about 1000 IPs for the full tunnel VPN (and 16k for split) and we actually ran out of IPs on the full, so I think we emailed everyone that used full and explained they should use Split except for a few very specific use cases that actually require full.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No support guys, 'I made some changes' is not an acceptable resolution note.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

No support guys, 'I made some changes' is not an acceptable resolution note.

'fixed'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

"this issue should no longer be occuring"