Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

remigious posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do I need amazon prime to get shudder?

Nope! Shudder has its own dedicated streaming website and app. The shudder amazon app is just for the lazy people who don’t want to switch between apps when they’re already browsing amazon.

I’ve never used the amazon shudder app because I don’t have an amazon account but I do have a shudder account. I heard if you use shudder through amazon, it doesn’t allow access to the full shudder library, but I don’t have amazon so can’t confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

remigious posted:

no u can get it straight from the website too not connected to amazon

e: beat me to it^^^^^^^

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

remigious posted:

Only if you live somewhere that doesn't have Shudder yet (Most of the world outside of the USA, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Germany, and Catholic Germany (Austria))

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Kvlt! posted:

no u can get it straight from the website too not connected to amazon

e: beat me to it^^^^^^^

Oh ok. Is there a ps4 app?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The CineD Z-Fest Stream is LIVE!!!! (For testing purposes)

Here is the GitHub link to tap into the Z-Fest stream on CyTube

Here is the CineD Discord, where you can find the Z-Fest channel for live chat

Please try the link and make sure that you are able to stream without issue. We wouldn't want you to try and massage your occipital lobe with z-grade transmissions and miss out on the fun because technology fails you.

If you have issues, try restarting your computer, trying a different browser, or reading the help section on the website.

Please post any issues you have in the thread or on discord.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

remigious posted:

Oh ok. Is there a ps4 app?

Unfortunately no, which is exactly why I do it through the Prime add-on channel. But if you don't already have Prime I guess it's not worth going that route.

It really is most of the library that the website has, but yes once in a while when something isn't available on the Prime channel it is very annoying.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Basebf555 posted:

Unfortunately no, which is exactly why I do it through the Prime add-on channel. But if you don't already have Prime I guess it's not worth going that route.

It really is most of the library that the website has, but yes once in a while when something isn't available on the Prime channel it is very annoying.

I see. Thanks guys!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I gathered my employees via group chat and explained how to get a free month of Shudder and to not let their dreams be dreams and to watch Mandy. It's probably the only notable thing I've done as their supervisor.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

remigious posted:

I see. Thanks guys!

Though you'll also sometimes get the reverse, where there's a movie that's only on the Amazon version of Shudder. That's where I eventually found Phantom of the Paradise last year.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Double question!

1. Are any of those 50 horror movie packs worth a drat? I picked one up on the cheap for background noise during work and I'm curious of there any specific picks to look for.

2. What are the best horror movie dvd/blu ray collections to pick up?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lumbermouth posted:

Though you'll also sometimes get the reverse, where there's a movie that's only on the Amazon version of Shudder. That's where I eventually found Phantom of the Paradise last year.

Yeah, its weird. I'll have Prime and watch on Fire TV but sometimes I'll go looking for a movie in Shudder and discover its only in the Amazon channel. I assumed it was a thing to try and get me to subscribe through Amazon and give them their cut but then there's the reverse and I don't know. Maybe they're just hoping someone will be silly enough to subscribe to both at the same time.

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Double question!

1. Are any of those 50 horror movie packs worth a drat? I picked one up on the cheap for background noise during work and I'm curious of there any specific picks to look for.

I own a bunch of them because its like a standard gift from friends. The ones with modern movies tend to be all D caliber stuff and there might be a few gems in there but you have to go digging. The ones with older stuff tends to have a ton of genuine classics like Night of the Living Dead, White Zombie, Carnival of Souls, and The Last Man On Earth. Most of that stuff nowadays you can get on Prime or Youtube or whatever as well and the quality on those DVDS can be kinda crap. But 15 years ago I used to get a kick out of just picking some random movies and putting them on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

someone i knew irl whose name i now cant even remember bought me an account when i was 14 and this cesspool is where i will shitpost forever

Wow they bought you an account a year ago and you already forgot their name?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Double question!

Anything by Jacques Tournier and Roger Corman are worth grabbing. If you have a taste for older creature features or 50's thrillers, stuff that includes Killer Shrews, Bloodlust, Attack of the Giant Leeches, are fun. I have a collection Grindhouse movies I got for a few buck that ranges from fun background noise to bad taste. In general, you may find a hidden gem in a multipack, but I wouldn't spend more than $5 on one.

Series multi-packs are always good, like Chucky, Friday the 13th, Elm Street, Halloween, Tremors, Hellraiser, Universal Monsters, etc. Depending on your taste, some of the Small Monster franchises may be fun for you--Ghoulies, Puppet Master, Critters, Leprechaun. There's a Waxwork double feature set that's worth it, cuz Waxwork rules.

It's all according to personal taste. Are you looking at specific sets?

STAC Goat posted:

The ones with modern movies tend to be all D caliber stuff and there might be a few gems in there but you have to go digging. The ones with older stuff tends to have a ton of genuine classics like Night of the Living Dead, White Zombie, Carnival of Souls, and The Last Man On Earth. Most of that stuff nowadays you can get on Prime or Youtube or whatever as well and the quality on those DVDS can be kinda crap. But 15 years ago I used to get a kick out of just picking some random movies and putting them on.

Yeah, this is basically it. I can send you a link to playlists with a bunch of older horror movies of this caliber (or cheesier, really) and the film quality will be just as good, if not better.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 2, 2020

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

Anything by Jacques Tournier and Roger Corman are worth grabbing. If you have a taste for older creature features or 50's thrillers, stuff that includes Killer Shrews, Bloodlust, Attack of the Giant Leeches, are fun. I have a collection Grindhouse movies I got for a few buck that ranges from fun background noise to bad taste. In general, you may find a hidden gem in a multipack, but I wouldn't spend more than $5 on one.

Series multi-packs are always good, like Chucky, Friday the 13th, Elm Street, Halloween, Tremors, Hellraiser, Universal Monsters, etc. Depending on your taste, some of the Small Monster franchises may be fun for you--Ghoulies, Puppet Master, Critters, Leprechaun. There's a Waxwork double feature set that's worth it, cuz Waxwork rules.

It's all according to personal taste. Are you looking at specific sets?
I picked up the complete chucky collection as well as a couple hammer sets. I'd like something diverse but I'm also interested in stuff that allows for a good look at specific subgenres. Like what's a great giallo set, a good French extreme set etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Questions about Universal Monsters sets and Hammer sets get brought up pretty often. With Universal it's pretty easy, there's two sets, this one:https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cl...85794709&sr=8-8

and then also one that is a more complete, but obviously more expensive set with like 30 films in it.

Hammer is more complicated, there have been some pretty nice sets lately but nothing that comes close to being complete, if that's what you're after. I have several of them though and I've been happy with them. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Horror-8-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B01I048O8W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=hammer+horror+blu+ray&qid=1585794825&sr=8-2

One that I don't hear brought up a lot is this Fulci set by Blue Underground. Three pretty classic Fulcis for under 30 bucks, and they're all really good quality:
https://www.amazon.com/Lucio-Collection-Blu-Ray-Almanta-Keller/dp/B00R55U120/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Fulci+blu+ray+set&qid=1585794595&sr=8-2

They also did an Argento set with Inferno, Cat o Nine Tails and Deep Red but it looks like that one might be out of print.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 2, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

el oso posted:

Man, Screamers owns. That's just some grade-A 90's Canadian sci-fi horror schlock. The last 20 minutes are so stupidly great.

Is Screamers the one where they turn a flamethrower on to a wall of adorable 8 year old moppets filled with buzzsaws?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

el oso posted:

Man, Screamers owns. That's just some grade-A 90's Canadian sci-fi horror schlock. The last 20 minutes are so stupidly great.

This one rules, I saw it in the theatre on opening weekend when I was 15. I didn't really realize how Canadian it was until years later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

el oso posted:

Screamers is very good. I kind of hate the location the final scenes take place in, though. The rest of the movie looks great but that set just looks like someone's garage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVucSRLLeIM

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm a big fan of "Train to Busan presents" as part of a movie title.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look forward to one day binging the "Train to Busan-verse".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I cant wait for the train shaped blu-ray boxset we'll get in the future.

choo choo!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

A good (if expensive) collection is The Larry Fessenden collection. I just really like the dude's work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks legit. I'm in!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I look forward to one day binging the "Train to Busan-verse".

If they're all the same quality, hell yes!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm hoping you guys could help me with something; I'm looking for movies that deal with societal breakdown, but as a gradual process. The movie starts with things are fine or at least OK, and then over the course of the movie stuff gets worse on a citywide, nationwide, or worldwide scale.

The best example I can think of is Pulse. But even something like The Crazies, where it takes like a solid hour before people stop being willing to listen to proper authorities and stand in lines, would count.

I don't mean like Dawn of the Dead, where stuff is fine but then zombies show up and it's like a switch is flipped and society is gone. I'm specifically after a gradual process where at least a majority of the movie does not count as post-apocalyptic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CON
TAG
ION

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watch The Purge in chronological order?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Yea I'd say so. Overall the first one is pretty disconnected from the rest but still worth a watch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The new Planet of the Apes trilogy?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah that should work

COOL CORN posted:

Not a bad idea, but this is for the April Horror challenge and I've already seen them all

Splint Chesthair posted:

The new Planet of the Apes trilogy?

Those have the post apocalyptic switch flipped between the first and second. Everything is basically fine at the end of the first and at the start of the second like 99% of humanity is dead

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Those have the post apocalyptic switch flipped between the first and second. Everything is basically fine at the end of the first and at the start of the second like 99% of humanity is dead

poo poo, I thought that didn’t happen until the third movie introduced the APE FLU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Splint Chesthair posted:

poo poo, I thought that didn’t happen until the third movie introduced the APE FLU.

I think the "ape flu" happened between the first and second movies. It went like James Franco saying goodbye to a couple of dozen kinda smart monkeys to "whoops, humans nearly wiped out and monkeys having full civilizations in 10 years". Then I kind of zoned out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Splint Chesthair posted:

Nah it's set up in the credits of the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EyC3o4UsI0

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maybe 13 weeks later although I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Gripweed posted:

I'm hoping you guys could help me with something; I'm looking for movies that deal with societal breakdown, but as a gradual process. The movie starts with things are fine or at least OK, and then over the course of the movie stuff gets worse on a citywide, nationwide, or worldwide scale.

The best example I can think of is Pulse. But even something like The Crazies, where it takes like a solid hour before people stop being willing to listen to proper authorities and stand in lines, would count.

I don't mean like Dawn of the Dead, where stuff is fine but then zombies show up and it's like a switch is flipped and society is gone. I'm specifically after a gradual process where at least a majority of the movie does not count as post-apocalyptic.

High Rise?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Not really what you're looking for, but Shaun of the Dead carries that vibe through Shaun's obliviousness for a decent part of the first third.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm so bored I'm making themed quarantine movie playlists with trailers and commercials on youtube. It's pretty nuts how many high quality rips of movies are on there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In the Mouth is Madness also sorta fits, there are parts in the beginning where nobody realizes the scope of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yea that's a really good example. Unfortunately I don't like High Rise very much but it does fit what I'm after

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Not really what you're looking for, but Shaun of the Dead carries that vibe through Shaun's obliviousness for a decent part of the first third.

And then at the end it turns out society hasn't broken down, and if everybody had stayed in their homes they probably would've been fine. Topical!