Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Volmarias posted:

The ultra-orthodox community in NYC has been a wild ride to read about for the last month.

Where does one read about the ultra orthodox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Measles, anti-vaccine protests, Yeshiva controversies, refusing to cancel religious services during lockdowns, and a bunch of other crazy stuff has been going on in the NYC metro area and suburbs in the past few months.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I live next to Lakewood NJ, which is very orthodox. The cops have broken up at least 5 weddings in the past few weeks and even had to stop school buses. They currently have the single highest case count in the county.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

FateFree posted:

I live next to Lakewood NJ, which is very orthodox. The cops have broken up at least 5 weddings in the past few weeks and even had to stop school buses. They currently have the single highest case count in the county.

County or country? If county, that doesn’t sound very impressive but I don’t know much about that area so maybe I just don’t know anything?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

County or country? If county, that doesn’t sound very impressive but I don’t know much about that area so maybe I just don’t know anything?

Just the county, but its not even a close race:

Barnegat: 35
    Barnegat Light: 2
    Bay Head: 2
    Beach Haven: 3
    Beachwood: 9
    Berkeley: 68
    Brick: 104
    Island Heights: 1
    Jackson: 100
    Lacey: 31
    Lakehurst: 2
    Lakewood: 438
    Lavallette: 2
    Little Egg Harbor: 9
    Long Beach Township: 3
    Manchester: 55
    Ocean Township: 4
    Plumsted: 4
    Point Pleasant Beach:3
    Point Pleasant Borough: 30
    Seaside Heights: 6
    Seaside Park: 2
    Ship Bottom: 2
    South Toms River: 13
    Surf City: 1
    Stafford: 23
    Toms River: 156

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

FateFree posted:

Oy vey.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Alan Smithee posted:

https://forward.com/fast-forward/442151/lakewood-new-jersey-jewish-wedding-coroanvirus/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

These are the ghouls who still let people with no qualifications cut the foreskin off of baby dicks and literally use their mouths to suck the blood out. Many innocent children have been given herpes through this barbaric practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_milah?wprov=sfla1

Edit: I'm not sure this is the exact sect but IDGAF. This poo poo is terrible and I don't know how parents voluntarily allow their children to be maimed. If they want to do it as an adult, then that's their choice.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 2, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
The Ultra-Orthodox are loving crazy. Among other things, they refuse to print photos of women because it's seen as "immodest." This includes major government officials, people running for president, etc. And we're talking in loving newspapers. They're the Jewish equivalent of the Amish, except way more politically active.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alan Smithee posted:

On the NYC LAN thread in my case.

There's just a lot of instances of people in the Orthodox community deciding that these rules don't apply to them. E.g. Holding a funeral, today, with a bunch of people packed together. There's other Orthodox folks fighting the good fight and screaming to high heaven to knock it off and to stop loving their communities over, but it seems to be an uphill battle and the Orthodox communities are ending up becoming hotspots of COVID-19 as a result.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Nocheez posted:

These are the ghouls who still let people with no qualifications cut the foreskin off of baby dicks and literally use their mouths to suck the blood out. Many innocent children have been given herpes through this barbaric practice.

Edit: I'm not sure this is the exact sect but IDGAF. This poo poo is terrible and I don't know how parents voluntarily allow their children to be maimed. If they want to do it as an adult, then that's their choice.

You are not putting yourself in as good a light as you think my dude

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

majestic12 posted:

You are not putting yourself in as good a light as you think my dude

What part of IDGAF do you not understand?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dick Nipples posted:

By the numbers, Lakewood Township is 16% of the population of Ocean County, but a tick over 40% of the confirmed cases.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

For a religion with tons of laws about ritual purity... you'd think they would be better at this.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Nocheez posted:

What part of IDGAF do you not understand?

you misspelled SIEG HEIL

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hot take: all religious fundamentalists are bad with money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

majestic12 posted:

you misspelled SIEG HEIL

Yeah, that was the takeaway. You absolute simpleton.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, that was the takeaway. You absolute simpleton.
Good, glad we agree.

Not that it’ll matter to someone who is exceeding even normal Aussie levels of background racism, but what are your thoughts on the ~75% of American men who are circumscised? Did you know that brit are performed under sterile conditions? Is it only when (((loving ghouls))) do it that it’s a problem?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I got cut when I was a newborn. Back then they didn't use any anesthetic because they said babies didn't feel it. That was a loving lie, I screamed and clawed my face and I still have a scar on my cheek from it.

I don't care how many or who does it, it needs to stop. I only brought up the terrible practice that ultra-othodox do while literally sucking on a loving baby dick afterward.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

majestic12 posted:

Good, glad we agree.

Not that it’ll matter to someone who is exceeding even normal Aussie levels of background racism, but what are your thoughts on the ~75% of American men who are circumscised? Did you know that brit are performed under sterile conditions? Is it only when (((loving ghouls))) do it that it’s a problem?

Are you aware of the fact that in the orthodox faith the rabbi uses their mouth to clean the wound? And that this is a major source of infection including herpes in infants? This is not some hospital procedure.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reading this stupid derail is making me feel like my $10 spent here was BWM.

Content: coworker who had the horse wife mad at him for buying a new router Is now looking at new horse trailers now that him and the wife are getting nearly $3k in stimulus money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd love to see this derail cut short

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Just want to point out that all of the big time rebbes have said to follow social distancing rules and that someone who organizes a minyan is equivalent to a murderer. Judaism has dina d'malkhut dina, "law of the land is law", meaning that obedience to the laws of a country is a religious obligation.
The Talmud itself says this about how to behave during a plague:

Bava Kamma 60b posted:

The Sages taught: If there is plague in the city, gather your feet, i.e., limit the time you spend out of the house, as it is stated in the verse: “And none of you shall go out of the opening of his house until the morning.” And it says in another verse: “Come, my people, enter into your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourself for a little moment, until the anger has passed by” (Isaiah 26:20). And it says: “Outside the sword will bereave, and in the chambers terror” (Deuteronomy 32:25).
The Gemara asks: What is the reason for citing the additional verses introduced with the term: And it says? The first verse seems sufficient to teach the principle that one should not emerge from one’s house when there is a plague. The Gemara answers: And if you would say that this matter, the first verse that states that none of you shall go out until morning, applies only at night, but in the day one may think that the principle does not apply, for this reason the Gemara teaches: Come and hear: “Come, my people, enter into your chambers, and shut your doors behind you.”
But a lot of the ultra-Orthodox don't want to listen because they worship the rules and not God and if they can't perform their comforting rituals they feel lost.

(also some believe this is divine wrath for the misdeeds of the world)
(also some are just cunts)

The Chief Rabbi of Beijing gets the point across pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks50oy1LJsI

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I have a feeling this is just the tip of the bad puns incoming.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Shib, I didn't realize what thread this was. I'll end it here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Circumcision debate is sure to go well. Mods, please nip this in the bud.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FateFree posted:

I have a feeling this is just the tip of the bad puns incoming.

We can fix the thread by grafting new content on don't worry.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sorry for the delay, just got the tip off about this post-

Nocheez posted:

Don't be a dick.

I'm sure we have something else to talk about

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BWM: getting circumcised as an adult

*edit*
drat it mod post as I'm typing

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

withak posted:

Circumcision debate is sure to go well. Mods, please nip this in the bud.

Did you mean snip it at the tip?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

BWM: getting circumcised as an adult

*edit*
drat it mod post as I'm typing

Not a problem. Unless they have shaky hands.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Gross. Anyway..

Leon Trotsky 2012 taught me to go to reddit.com/r/relationships to BWM fodder. Sad, but funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/frsnp6/gf_is_using_my_money_without_asking_me/

quote:

TL;DR Gf uses my money without asking me. Mostly for important things but it is still bothering me that she uses it without asking.

My gf F(24) not currently working and lives with me M(24). She has been using my accounts to buy things without asking me.

I have to note that she hasn’t bought herself a gift or anything. She just buys that that we may or may not need without asking me.

For example, she just bought a piece of furniture for the kitchen which we can’t fit and now we can’t return it since she already opened it and tried to assemble it before I was home. She did it to surprise me apparently since she saw I needed more storage racks in the kitchen. She never asked me, just used my card. I could have told her it was too big for our kitchen and had her choose something else.

Other recent examples: expensive hand soap and toiletries + skin care stuff for me, for no reason when we already a collection of regular ones that everyone uses.

-Expensive clothes for me when I don’t want them but she will buy things without asking.

-Buying expensive organic grocery when we can’t really afford it.

-Adding my card to her Victoria secret account

-Recently she bought this screen thing with a stand and everything to take pictures for Instagram. I haven’t seen her use it once. She want to do product photography but it’s been a month and she hasn’t used it.

-She also paid ~$200 for a website name or something. I have seen her put no work on it.

These are just recent examples. She has been spending $400-$800/month on random things that we don’t need.

Background: We have been together for 4 years and when I went through a hard time in college. She really helped me out. She let me stay at her apartment that her parents paid for and even took out a credit card to pay for the amount I was short on my tuition my last semester. At that time she paid for food and pretty much everything like I do for her now.

However, I never used her money without asking. Not even once.

Since I graduated and started working I had her move into my apartment and paid for everything for her. She hasn’t had to contribute to rent or food or any other expenses. I even pay for her Sephora expenses and female hygiene stuff.

I have been paying that credit card every month for the past 3 years but can never seem to pay it off since she will use it again for some other random things and the balance goes up again.

When I confront her about the spending, she says she will stop. But will do it again a few days later.

She constantly threatens to leave and move to different state and live on her own. 1 or twice she has suggested that it is better that she just ends her life because no one cares about her.

She grew up wealthy and is used to making impulse purchases her entire life. I tried to explain her that she can’t do the same with my income.

I don’t even understand what is going on with her parents since won’t tell me anything. I don’t know if they stopped giving her money or not. When I ask her what is going on she will deflect.

I am finally standing on my feet with a good job and everything and have been trying to save money and want to buy a house. This is clearly not helping.

Edit: Thank you for the response and suggestions. I like the reloadable card idea better. Since I can’t close the credit without paying it off and it’s in her name.

I am going to try and see if I can use my job’s benefits to get some discounted/free couple counseling.

I am going get her a reloadable card with weekly or monthly budget and make her promise me she won’t use any of my other accounts. If she keeps using my other accounts I am going to break up with her.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 3, 2020

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/frlzw1/my36m_girlfriend_24f_is_making_poor_financial/

quote:

Finances have always been a major hangup for me in relationships. It was a big part of my parents divorce. I watched my 10 year older sister go into bankruptcy off cash advances. I've had ex's with tons of pets and debt etc.

I live frugally, and save. I was fortunate to be able to return to college in my late 20s and complete a degree with zero debt. I met my current girlfriend in college. We had the same major and worked in a tutoring center. She was interesting to me then, but things were complicated already with a young daughter from a prior relationship. She was also with a guy who I assumed was on the way out. She talked poo poo about him, seemed unhappy, etc. All that changed when she got pregnant(I found out later she had her iud removed to conceive). He proposed, and I moved on.

He dumped her shortly after the boy was born. We continued as acquaintances/co-workers. I graduated a year before her. I was able to find a job in education after graduation. Big pay bump, generally pleased with life. Her student teaching semester came up and she was assigned to my site. We became closer, went on a dinner movie date, it was fun. I hadn't been with anyone for 5+ years. We studied for and took our competency certification exams together.

Then in March of 2018, my mother died in a house fire. I was on my way back from a ski trip when I found out. I was gutted, and just couldn't pursue a relationship at the time. Turns out, at the same time she was hired into the same site I assigned. I had previously found a new gig at a highschool so I was being transferred. We didn't talk for a year.

In Feb of 2019, I shot her a message, and we reconnected. She had moved into town from way out in boonies, rented a house. We began to officially be a couple. For the first month, house looked nice, kids had dinner at table. It seemed functional and pleasant.

Over the year, there were a few "money crises" but nothing outrageous. Lots of take out. I tried to show her how to cook more. She wouldn't touch leftovers. She wouldn't pack lunch for work instead charging 3.75 per day at school cafeteria and then on her free day she would go out to fast food. I'm noticing more receipts in plastic bags from Dollar tree and hobby lobby for stickers and pens and craft things.

"Wish I had more money for daycare..."

I found out she had two repoed cars with the boy's father that they were garnishing her check for. Her student loans were 35k and she's hedging on her participation in the public service debt forgiveness program. She paid nothing toward interest on top of not filing the yearly paperwork (WHICH IS PART OF THE AGREEMENT FOR FORGIVENESS).

I keep my own place, which she said was different for her. Most prior relationships were predicated on cohabitation for her. No thank you.

Then in December, she says she wants to get a dog. "It'll be fun for kids, I get lonely when you're gone." Having had prior experience with a pet owner ex, I advised against it. She even had been burned by her boy's father who decided to get a puppy while she was pregnant so I was confused. I explained how much pets are, how she would be the responsible adult, have to take to vet if it gets in a fight(lots of stray cats in neighbor, etc) You can't expect a 7 year old to understand how much is needed. Get your daughter a lizard or a tarantula or a spider.

Somehow she decided against it(the compromise was a 35$ basketball goal). Not a day later came a disconnect notice for electricity. She was two months over due? I was flabbergasted, but kept it in. Around this time, I was able to access my mother's checking account. (She died without payable on death and no will in place and with a burned out uninsured home so probate didn't happen, bank was just trying to close old stuff down.). I decided, since this whole time we'd been pretty fortunate to not have any baby scares I would help her get a new iud installed. I offered to cover all expenses. It came out to 850$. Fine, at least no babies now.

In February, I helped her do her taxes. She did very well. All of a sudden she had money again. 11k altogether. I advised her to take care of at least one of the cars in repo.

She got a rainbow hairdye job. Fine, a little reward is one thing. I'm busy with two jobs, so when I visit her place I notice more take out leftovers. She saves them for me? Okay thanks, at least it won't go to waste.

Two weeks ago, my father passed away. He had been in hospital for 3 weeks prior. My girlfriend wasn't very supportive or helpful while he was in hospital. She appeared to have no ability to comfort me after I found out he died. She never met my father, and I did feel badly for that.

Present day: So now, as teachers, we're out of school for rest of year. She then decided it was time for a dog. The last day before pounds close to the public, she adopts a 10 month old medium/large mutt. I will admit, the animals temperament is reasonable. But why get an animal now?? So she's out the pet deposit fee to her prop mgmt, she buys at least 200$ more of bowls and cages. To me, such a waste...I've been trying to get her to start an IRA, make good financial decisions.

To top it off, four days ago, a delivery truck drops off a pallet of supplies. She's bought a 750$ HUGE playground for her kids. It's like she didn't even consider, will it fit? Is this too much? Should I ask my boyfriend?.. she's down to 5k of the initial 11k.

So the expectation is that i bring over my tools and help her assemble it. I have not texted her much. I really don't want to. I feel like I need to sever this. She's not going to make the changes needed for a real future with me. I'm not against marriage or kids, but I'm not going to waste time hoping someone starts to get their stuff together. She's young, and had experiences which might contribute to her poor decisions but dammit. I feel like I've already wasted a year at this point. Should I cut the cord?

TL;DR Girlfriend is emotionally distant during crisis, makes repetitively bad money decisions, and claims I don't take our relationship seriously. Cut cord?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Thank you CmdrRiker for doing Yahwehs work. You're Number One in my heart.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm off to bed return some video tapes. In the meantime,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3nu6ue2qU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I'm off to bed return some video tapes.

gonna open palm slap it in the morning?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1245356505152606210?s=20

https://twitter.com/splintergroupie/status/1245818768103596033?s=20

Let's hope he's next

I hope his wealth gets redistributed hard

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Owning a horse to be able to bill for its use as a prescribed therapy: GWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My Uncle has been panicking about the stock market for weeks. I've been telling him to just keep everything where it is and ignore it for now.

He just told me that he converted all of his stocks into shares in a money market fund, because I told him to not sell anything two weeks ago, but it kept going down after that.

His neighbor has a "finance guy" who advised him to go all cash (and lock in his losses) because the Coronavirus was going to be so bad that the market would continue to drop and he needs to just wait until the market goes up for a month or two in a row to make sure it is over, then reinvest back in.

I'm less mad about the money, because he has disability, my aunt has a teacher's pension, and he has a history of BWM decisions (he is a potentially crazy person who spent a ridiculous amount of money on an air filtration system that he believes can filter out chem-trails). But, I'm more mad that he called me yesterday to tell me this and then act like he was helping me out by trying to get me to fix my own "bad advice" with free information from a "finance guy" to pass along.