Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

yeah contemporary vr is not sci fi artificial reality where you could not notice yourself starving to death. it's playing video games with a thing on your head and no harder to tear yourself away from than video games without a thing on your head. just slightly more annoying practically

although there is nothing more terrifying then playing a game in VR and feeling your cat brush against your leg

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

a snype i'd make myself :patriot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

although there is nothing more terrifying then playing a game in VR and feeling your cat brush against your leg

I stopped playing beat saber when we got a cat because I didn't want to accidentally bisect her with a move controller. and yeah I play mostly sitting down now. although she seems to have learned that when I'm sitting in that particular spot trying to get my attention doesn't work in general

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.dailytribune.com/news/c...7c8ac0af38.html

quote:

Longtime Royal Oak resident and downtown building owner Bill Harrison is lowering monthly rents to $1 during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Harrison has small business retailers in three buildings he owns on Washington Avenue.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

a snype i'd make myself :patriot:

my surname is brown and when I was younger (and in fact during adulthood) people would call me browneye as if no one else ever had

pretty funny really

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

echinopsis posted:

are you worried it’s going to soon not want to experience real life again

like I wonder if you ever get to the point where you’re playing vr and you need to take a poo poo and you get so pissed off that you have to leave the vr world you start to find catheterisation and a colostomy bag appealing

I don't get motion sickness, but VR gets my plumbing ready to go everytime.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the way you’ve worded that makes me think you’re talking about getting your butthole reamed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but maybe that’s just me and my butt obsession

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

gently caress i thought it was wednesday

after i worked a few nights and a weekend earlier in march i lost all track of time and every day is thursday

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s Friday here in the future. after work drinks anyone?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

DuckConference posted:

Welp, a swab test may not find the virus even if you still have it.

https://twitter.com/pdhsu/status/1245406373547933696

I don’t know about other places but doctors here are still able to diagnose as probable covid if enough indicators exist despite a negative result. probable cases go on the list.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's some cool good news

https://hackaday.com/2020/04/02/fda-says-ppe-can-be-reused-after-trip-through-shipping-container-decontamination-system/

turns out you can put n95 respirators into this machine that blasts them with vapor phase hydrogen peroxide, and it sterilizes them without damaging the masks or their functionality so they can be reused. you can do it up to 20 times. comes in a shipping container so you can just load it up on a truck and drive it to a hotspot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DuckConference posted:

yes, but it's pretty much the middle of nowhere. results from seattle/bay area/nyc will be a lot more interesting
Just got a facebook ad for a local study (by Stanford health) recruiting people for antibody tests to analyze the population, roommate is going as a result

Kinda feeling better about keeping the ads flowing, gotta be honest.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

here's some cool good news

https://hackaday.com/2020/04/02/fda-says-ppe-can-be-reused-after-trip-through-shipping-container-decontamination-system/

turns out you can put n95 respirators into this machine that blasts them with vapor phase hydrogen peroxide, and it sterilizes them without damaging the masks or their functionality so they can be reused. you can do it up to 20 times. comes in a shipping container so you can just load it up on a truck and drive it to a hotspot.

well i only have six so we're gonna have to settle for putting them in a ziploc with H2O2 and let em sit in the sun for a while

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ShadowHawk posted:

facebook ad

lol owned

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my children ran into the pine forest for frolicking fun about 3 hours ago I’m wondering if I should go out there or continue working on this work spreadsheet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

syntaxrigger posted:

Is it weird wanting to put in PTO when I am at home and cannot go anywhere? I just want to be high/drunk for like 2 days straight

thats the weekend though ?

qirex posted:

after 4 weeks of quarantine I finally have my home workstation set up how I like

i havent set mine up yet and im at the end of week 2

Sagebrush posted:

and the star wars prequels came out before they were born

:cripes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my children ran into the pine forest for frolicking fun about 3 hours ago I’m wondering if I should go out there or continue working on this work spreadsheet

they’re in the oven op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the original trilogy is as long ago for a ten-year-old today as The Day The Earth Stood Still was when we were that age

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i showed my kids the original star wars and i think my son said something like "these graphics suck" and wanted to go play video games

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

which is basically the same as me watching The Day the Earth Stood Still and saying "that robot is so fakey" so that checks out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tetris effect for psvr is on sale right now

:lsd:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

tetris effect for psvr is on sale right now

:lsd:

This is a good Tetris game and I would like to play in VR, but I already have an Oculus Quest that I don’t use.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can't play video games any more, i just cancelled my stupid mmo subscriptions

all i dream of now is revolution and oblivion, hopefully in that order

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i can't play video games any more, i just cancelled my stupid mmo subscriptions

all i dream of now is revolution and oblivion, hopefully in that order

weird flex but okay.

anyway doom eternal is fun as hell :razz: they cranked the violence up to itchy & scratchy level and it's a blast. there's one kind of baddie you can shoot in the back and it'll skitter around like a scooby doo villain on ice, and another one where you can punch its head into its neck like a wack-a-mole. it even has cartoon sound effects -- like when you rip out a cacodemon's eye it makes the sound of a champagne cork.

it's great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

except for the marauders. those guys are loving cheap garbage. i feel zero shame in setting the difficulty down to normal briefly whenever one of them appears.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

weird flex but okay.

im 40 with a compromised immune system and cardiac issues. There is literally a 10% chance that I will be dead within the next twelve months.

i can't ride my motorcycles or do anything I enjoy right now, because if i'm out on a bike and wreck, they're going to let me die on the sidewalk because there are no ER beds.

I won't miss this stupid, hosed up, garbage, failed world.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Sagebrush posted:

In San Francisco the water comes straight from the Yosemite valley and it's so pure they don't even filter it. Just add chlorine and pump it into the pipes. People here are still going nuts for the bottled stuff.

a buncha pages back, but I don't remember the water in SF being that good. but i was definitely in SV recently and the water was terrible. i scoffed at my hotel charging for bottled water but then when i tasted the bitter, over-chlorinated stuff coming out of the tap, I was tempted. does the peninsula/south bay have the same water supply?

i remember being like, man this would be hard to get used to if i ever lived here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

cheque_some posted:

a buncha pages back, but I don't remember the water in SF being that good. but i was definitely in SV recently and the water was terrible. i scoffed at my hotel charging for bottled water but then when i tasted the bitter, over-chlorinated stuff coming out of the tap, I was tempted. does the peninsula/south bay have the same water supply?

i remember being like, man this would be hard to get used to if i ever lived here

sf is primarily supplied by the hetch hetchy, which comes mostly from snowmelt, though the reservoirs are also recharged somewhat from the local watersheds (runoff)

but yeah it's not filtered, because both of the higher-quality source and the properties of the reservoir itself keep the water from becoming cloudy - turbidity is why water treatment plants use filters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sf recently switched to supplementing with ground water because we need more water for almonds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

day 27: i have grown tired of the flat arm rest padding on my cheap but comfy ikea desk chair, have removed them, and have put rolled up fabric as larger softer rests

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also my ergonomic keyboard is out and now i use a bluetooth keyboard from an hp touchpad because nothing is logical and this is somehow more comfortable than a thing designed for comfort and that i already use daily

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's cool. i don't want to wake up tomorrow.

i will, but i don't want to.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

sf recently switched to supplementing with ground water because we need more water for almonds

ask me about how mad I am about this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

this too shall pass jonny, and with any luck the world will be a better place. or at least slightly weirder.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

Take a day off reading news. Hell, take a week off. We're in this situation for months. We're all feeling limited and inactive and it sucks, but there isn't much we can do about it while doing our part to limit the spread. Stay indoors, work out, find a sun beam to lay in, and don't feel guilty about disconnecting. We have months to sit inside and read the news, you won't miss a few days.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ever gotten into meditation 290?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

they're tolkien about setting up a brackish desal plant somewhere around sunnyvale to feed demand

it's less power-intensive that desalinating straightup oceanwater but it'd still be like 2-3 more expensive than hetch hetchy water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Take a day off reading news. Hell, take a week off. We're in this situation for months. We're all feeling limited and inactive and it sucks, but there isn't much we can do about it while doing our part to limit the spread. Stay indoors, work out, find a sun beam to lay in, and don't feel guilty about disconnecting. We have months to sit inside and read the news, you won't miss a few days.

i’m shutting early and can’t loving wait for two days off