Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what if there were more of us though and we formed a union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

toilet droppers local 219

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

sometimes blue ppl go green for a few moments and you can’t sent them pictures and makes me want to throw my phone in the toilet
you can send MMS if you turn off wi-fi

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

something terrible reminded me of shockwave which reminded me of lenny loosejocks holy poo poo that was 23 years ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ruffian Price posted:

you can send MMS if you turn off wi-fi

lol mms is this the freaking 90s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

part of the consumer tp shortage even with restrictions on purchase per person is because people are making GBS threads at home. commercial tp has had no shortages, but it's a completely different supply channel. you can get all the tp you want from uline or whatever.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what was the difference between shoclkwave and flash

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

what was the difference between shoclkwave and flash
shockwave was director files, flash was its own janky vector thing

macromedia did a really bad job distinguishing between the two brand-wise especially as flash became a million times more popular and director was mostly relegated to courseware duty so they took the shockwave name and made a gaming portal because why not

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
they rebranded Flash as ShockWave Flash for a bit to capitalize on the ShockWave brand. They were always two completely different things

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

director was maybe the most miserable authoring environment ever dreamed up and when they dumped a bunch of its ui into flash to try to make it better at interactive content it got way worse and everything sophisticated in flash was like 1 or 2 "frames" on the timeline and the rest done in actionscript

nobody remembers mtropolis but it was amazing [by the standards of mid-90s multimedia platforms] unfortunately it was run by idiots and ended up in the hands of quark who tried to make xpress files into a multimedia platform about as successfully as you'd think such a thing could be

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

nobody remembers mtropolis but it was amazing [by the standards of mid-90s multimedia platforms] unfortunately it was run by idiots and ended up in the hands of quark who tried to make xpress files into a multimedia platform about as successfully as you'd think such a thing could be
lol quark

watching that company burn itself to the ground out of pure hubris was so satisfying

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Anyone remember “shockrave.com” (with an r)? lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

habbo hotel

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol christ it still exists

i wonder if its still written in shockwave

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol christ it still exists

i wonder if its still written in shockwave

can you imagine being the dude hired to port habbo hotel to javascript

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FMguru posted:

lol quark

watching that company burn itself to the ground out of pure hubris was so satisfying

gods yes

Quark were always such idiots about people copying software, Gill et al were obsessed with the idea that someone might possibly have not given them exactly the right amount of money for what they were using and spent far more effort on that than on the actual software

before QuarkXPress one of their big claims to fame was Quark Catalyst, which was an application launcher for Apple II and III thing that let you use copy-protected software—using their protection scheme—“legitimately” from a hard disk

they used a hardware dongle for their Word Juggler word processor and even in that era everybody recognized them as extremely customer-hostile

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
speaking of quark has anyone mentioned Kai's Power Tools or whatever it was?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

oof, that's that mid-nineties UI i was lookin for

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

that's the good poo poo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
hell yeah got an urge to make some bulleted lists of my web site’s LINKS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

speaking of quark has anyone mentioned Kai's Power Tools or whatever it was?

KAIS POWER GOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt06OSIQ0PE

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
my favorite thing on the internet right now is when i go to a site and something goes wrong with the css loading and everything is just rendered as default html and it feels like 1996 again

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

rotor posted:

spheroids :swoon:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

my favorite thing on the internet right now is when i go to a site and something goes wrong with the css loading and everything is just rendered as default html and it feels like 1996 again

underconstruction.gif

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

rotor posted:

Web browsing always feels like 1996, the client-side scripts either don't load at all or they force artificial delays on you to negotiate content inserts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rotor posted:

It took me a few seconds to realize this was supposed to be stone, not a slab of crusty skin. I'm still not entirely sure

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

rotor posted:

every once in a while you stumble on a site that’s intentionally like that and it’s SO FAST

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Clark Nova posted:

It took me a few seconds to realize this was supposed to be stone, not a slab of crusty skin. I'm still not entirely sure

necronomiware

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Leck posted:

every once in a while you stumble on a site that’s intentionally like that and it’s SO FAST

so a web site instead of a bullshit app wannabe

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i'm reminded of the d programming language forums, which are blazing fast and kind of interesting

https://forum.dlang.org/

quote:

This website is powered by DFeed, an NNTP / mailing list web frontend / forum software, news aggregator and IRC bot. DFeed was written mostly by Vladimir Panteleev. The source code is available under the GNU Affero General Public License on GitHub: https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

This DFeed instance (forum.dlang.org) is a frontend to the DigitalMars NNTP server and mailing lists. Portions of the web interface (including style and graphics) are Copyright © by Digital Mars.

*lights up the rotor signal*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
DID SOMEONE SAY NNTP?!?!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
UUCP news distribution will be important in the future when Newt Gingrich's Brain In A Jar rules the Holy American Empire with an iron fist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SO DEMANDING posted:

*lights up the rotor signal*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'm reminded of the d programming language forums, which are blazing fast and kind of interesting

https://forum.dlang.org/

that's really cool

sometimes one forgets what an actually-fast site feels like

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
iirc its just generated from the filesystem and it turns out serving up static content from the filesystem is really fast.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY NNTP?!?!

cool it worked

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

The Leck posted:

npr and some other media websites offer "pure" html versions now to EU users due GDPR consent issues.

it's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
Dual Sided Widescreen and Fullscreen (lol) DVDs with microscopic lettering on the spindle as the label