Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

The only acceptable order is 0-K1-K2-3R-4R-5R-6 sorry :colbert:

Also you should definitely consider playing something else as a palate cleanser in between each one unless you are totally immune to game burnout. Absolutely take a break between Kiwami 2 and the remastered 3 - the leap backwards is immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The one thing that really irked me with Far Cry New Dawn, if you hadn't played Far Cry 5, you would get to a point in New Dawn where you'd just go "Oh this Joseph Seed is a nice guy, he's just a misunderstood guy." They barely recall any of the monstrous poo poo he did in 5, and turn him into this sad sack loser whose son has done him wrong. I couldn't pull the trigger any faster when they give you the option to kill/spare him at the end, but if you only ever played New Dawn, it would be easy to spare him since he's given so much unchallenged latitude to paint himself as the victim.

I'd argue that letting him live is the crueler option in New Dawn, since committing suicide would be a sin in his eyes yet he wants to die. By letting him live you're basically completely breaking his religious faith in half and leaving him a broken mess full of regrets knowing he can never atone for them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd argue that letting him live is the crueler option in New Dawn, since committing suicide would be a sin in his eyes yet he wants to die. By letting him live you're basically completely breaking his religious faith in half and leaving him a broken mess full of regrets knowing he can never atone for them.

The story would have been so much better if you convince him to come back and the son kills him.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dang, I did not realize who the Judge was in New Dawn. Guess thats what I get for not reading the flavor texts

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 3, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
New Dawn made me extremely stoked for Far Cry 6, because they learned a ton between FC5 and New Dawn, and if they keep learning, then FC6 is going to be amazing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Sniper Elite 4 (or 3 or whichever is the best one) as a I AM AMAZING AT SNIPING LOOK AT THESE SLOW MO KILLS fantasy? I'm not looking for a simulation or realistic experience, just wanna walk around and do cool shots.

I tried the second game when it was free on Steam, and I think I tapped out when a tank came and I had to do specific things that weren't shooting people in really cool ways.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

How's Sniper Elite 4 (or 3 or whichever is the best one) as a I AM AMAZING AT SNIPING LOOK AT THESE SLOW MO KILLS fantasy? I'm not looking for a simulation or realistic experience, just wanna walk around and do cool shots.

I tried the second game when it was free on Steam, and I think I tapped out when a tank came and I had to do specific things that weren't shooting people in really cool ways.

4 is the best one and fulfills that fantasy pretty much in its entirety without many of the problems of earlier games. 3 is also good but still suffers from pretty closed in maps, 4 has extremely large maps, by the standards of most shooters and has all of its component mechanics down pat.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

looks nice but why is the board computer german

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Perhaps unsurprisingly given that it was four-years past it's first release date, the sequel to Always Sometimes Monsters is a buggy mess. The development team clearly bit off way more than they could chew. I'm about two hours in and there are so many bugs once you get on the tour bus (like the first twenty to thirty minutes) that it's honestly astounding. Like, basic poo poo from 'character gender being switched in dialogue' to 'cutscenes playing seemingly at random' and 'characters not remembering things you/they just did' and so on.' Stuff that any kind of basic testing playthrough should've picked up on, especially so early into the game. I've run into one dialogue looping bug in the first hour that was full on game-stopping.

And even if you don't run into those, nothing about the game is explained. The first game had a clear goal: reach the wedding in thirty days. And it had a clear thing to work towards at all times: money to get there. This drove the decisions you made across the whole game, things like maybe doing something to hurt someone to get money more quickly. SAM, meanwhile, doesn't have either beyond, maybe, needing to finish a novel. But it doesn't tell you how many pages or chapters you need to write.

It's a shame because the first game was interesting and the concept for this one appeared to be intriguing, too. But it's just a mess.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

haldolium posted:

looks nice but why is the board computer german

Intelligence agencies during the cold war (and today) use shortwave radio broadcasts to transmit orders to spies, the station reads off a series of numbers that correspond to a one-time cipher the spy already has. Fairly unsettling to encounter "in the wild" while tuning around late at night, so it's a popular thing to use to set the tone for espionage media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx0dJ2Sl7DY

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
With the Ubisoft sale & the EGS coupon I still have I can get one of these for under 10 clams, which is the best of the bunch?:

AC: Odyssey
Watch_Dogs 2
Far Cry New: Dawn

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're all sort of the best of their bunch, to be honest. Odyssey is a gigantic - too gigantic for most people to finish - RPG that disregards most of the bullshit that AC has picked up and just lets you gently caress around in Ancient Greece for 100+ hours. Watch Dogs 2 is the best GTA game made ever since at least SA and while the humor is a tad bit off for some people the interactivity of the world and the missions are a lot of fun. New Dawn is the FC5 Blood Dragon but considerably more tight even yet with some good ideas that'll probably end up in other places.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MZ posted:

With the Ubisoft sale & the EGS coupon I still have I can get one of these for under 10 clams, which is the best of the bunch?:

Watch_Dogs 2

- Have you played Origins? Play Origins first.
- Watch Dog 2 is really really good and the amount of ways you can gently caress around in that world is delightful
- Haven't installed New Dawn yet but if it's anything like FC5 the gameplay will be stellar, among the best of the franchise.

As for best value, Odyssey is probably the best bang for your buck due to how stupid huge it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MZ posted:

Watch_Dogs 2
I honestly didn't like any of these, but if I had to pick, I would suggest going with Odyssey. Watch_Dogs 2 just felt incredibly shallow to me, plus a lot of the early missions can be kind of frustrating.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 3, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MZ posted:

Watch_Dogs 2
Out of those I'd get Watch Dogs 2. Odyssey keeps you busy far longer, so if the objective is to fill 80+ hours you can get that, but the actual gameplay gets repetitive much sooner. But both of them are fun. I didn't play any FarCry newer than 3 so I can't tell you about New Dawn.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MZ posted:

Watch_Dogs 2

AC: Odyssey is basically The Witcher 3 with more ridiculous stealthing/traversing of cities. Also incredibly, incredibly long.

Watch_Dogs 2 is probably the best mess around in a city sandbox. Make people drive like assholes and have them crash into each other! Call on gangsters and tell them a librarian is a traitor! Then call the cops on the gangsters! Everyone dies! Walk into library peacefully and commence mission.

Haven't played New Dawn, but I imagine it's more of the same.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
New Dawn is a blast. It has replayable maps that are straight combat to get resources, the guns are really well differentiated since they have fixed attachment loadouts now and the combat has been RPG-ified. I really like the enemy levels and gun tiers- you don’t have enemies that are nearly as spongy as old FC games, but there’s a noticible difference in damage between guns, so “fast firing but weak” and “slow firing but strong” do different things now. In 5, by getting rid of the sponginess, every gun felt basically the same. The AR and the AK both killed people in one burst, so why spend the money to buy the AK?

Also, if you’ve been like “man, I like Far Cry, but I hate that it doesn’t have Crysis superpowers”, you will love New Dawn.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

C.M. Kruger posted:

Intelligence agencies during the cold war (and today) use shortwave radio broadcasts to transmit orders to spies, the station reads off a series of numbers that correspond to a one-time cipher the spy already has. Fairly unsettling to encounter "in the wild" while tuning around late at night, so it's a popular thing to use to set the tone for espionage media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx0dJ2Sl7DY

Thanks for that background info, explains the numbers in the end too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
This is a bit of a tangent, but Square-Enix has done it again. PSA: Don't watch the final release trailer for FFVII that went up yesterday/today if you're committed to playing the remake when it comes out.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I’ve been eyeing various Ubisoft titles, the new ACs, far cry’s, anno 1800 and what have you, and I noticed they have 15$/m subscription (uplay+) for all of that and more. Isn’t this a good deal? I’m surprised people aren’t mentioning it more.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Blattdorf posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but Square-Enix has done it again. PSA: Don't watch the final release trailer for FFVII that went up yesterday/today if you're committed to playing the remake when it comes out.

Is it because of spoilers? Because I know what happens in that game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The demo version certainly makes it look really good and I think I might actually be interested in playing FF7 this time around. I never liked the original, but that one looks fun. Cloud's "I'm way too cool for this poo poo" attitude comes across great.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

MMF Freeway posted:

Is it because of spoilers? Because I know what happens in that game

Read at your own peril. It's a sequel.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ConfusedPig posted:

I’ve been eyeing various Ubisoft titles, the new ACs, far cry’s, anno 1800 and what have you, and I noticed they have 15$/m subscription (uplay+) for all of that and more. Isn’t this a good deal? I’m surprised people aren’t mentioning it more.

Publisher subs are a weird cost thing over something that gives you access to a bunch of stuff but Ubisoft has enough varied genres and stuff that I think if you're interested in playing more than a couple games it's probably worth a go.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blattdorf posted:

Damnit, my one hope for the Remake would be for them to kill Tifa instead of Aeris.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Daemon X Machina is pretty good for a discount Armored Core game and also very dead online. It feels like a dialed down For Answer so you're not just zipping around at ten million miles an hour but you're still boosting a good bit. And if you side step left then right with two rifles equipped you do the White Glint spin attack from the opening movie :v:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

You were not kidding, I regret reading that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blattdorf posted:

Is it? There are some unfamiliar minor characters but it showcases events that took place in the original.
Admittedly, it's been years since I played that game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ConfusedPig posted:

It is a good deal, BUT you have to be the type of person who can play a game and focus on it and be done with it, as otherwise that 15 per month is going to add up crazy fast. I tend to buy my ubisoft games late and on sale, so for example getting Far Cry 5+New Dawn for 33$ is a better deal for me, as it will definitely take me many months to play through them (not to mention the inevitable reinstall in a few years to try them again) which would cost more than this flat price.

As someone who was (still is!) into ffxiv, I put at least six months of sub time into it (90$) plus the cost of the base game (I think it was like 50$ or so for the full pack) that is an insane amount of money to be spending on a single game for me, when I tend to cap out at 20-30$ per purchase. It's a weird case so it's worth it, but it makes me extremely wary of other subscription services - I don't have unlimited money, and I want to be savvy. The gaming maw must be fed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? There are some unfamiliar minor characters but it showcases events that took place in the original.
Admittedly, it's been years since I played that game.

Yeah I'm not getting that vibe at all. It very much looks like an expanded version of the original's starting arc with some characters and events introduced earlier due to the episodic structure

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I'm not getting that vibe at all. It very much looks like an expanded version of the original's starting arc with some characters and events introduced earlier due to the episodic structure

I think it comes from Aerith's mentioning of the 1st person she ever loved, some of the quick shots leading you to the idea this is happened before. It's been since the original release so I'm not even sure if that stuff is in the original or not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The remake has some stuff restructured from later in the game for the purposes of story-telling but I don't think they've gone that wild with it. (Even if I do think it's wild that people are gonna buy three games for it.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Irritated Goat posted:

I think it comes from Aerith's mentioning of the 1st person she ever loved, some of the quick shots leading you to the idea this is happened before. It's been since the original release so I'm not even sure if that stuff is in the original or not.

Yeah, that's not new. Original FF7 spoilers, I guess Cloud's not a SOLDIER or some poo poo, he's acquired the stolen memories of Zack Fair, the protagonist of Crisis Core, who dated Aerith?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some people are going to be very upset that important parts of that game's story aren't badly told through missable bonus scenes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mokinokaro posted:

So more of a Evangalion VS Rebuild of Evangalion 1 & 2 situation.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Xander77 posted:

That one also has a borderline rape scene. Also, retroactive bestiality.

Wait, Blood Dragon has...retroactive bestiality? When?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
FF7Remake has been adding a lot of stuff for a while. Its a wild leap of logic to assume its a sequel because it has extra scenes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

That was in the original game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God no, Akella games are all garbage.
If you look up the word "janky" in a dictionary, you'll see Akella's entire catalog listed there.

They have some really cool ideas but I don't think they've ever implemented them well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Other Waters is out!

quote:

Play as an Artificial Intelligence guiding a stranded xenobiologist through a beautiful and mysterious alien ocean. A non-violent sci-fi story, enter a world of wonder, fear and vulnerability, unraveling the history and ecology of an impossible planet. What will you discover together?

I backed this on kickstarter so I'm biased, but it's out and it's cool.