Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone else looking forward to binge-watching Money Heist Season 4 this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Already forgot most that happened in season 3. I remember the last episode the guy hiding in a pine tree and the women facing a shotgun while hiding in a chicken coop. That's about it. And the airships dropping money near the beginning.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are whole franchises that didn’t pop up in my list for some reason, despite having huge spreads of character personalities. A friend of mine took it and got a bunch of Mad Men and Star Trek characters in his top 20, but his list didn’t have any MCU or Harry Potter ones. It’s strange.

Yeah it was weird. It put my number one as Sherlock Holmes with 62%, but when I selected MCU it said I had Dr. Strange at 74%. I was trying to figure out why it was like that but sadly could not.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’m not sure how to feel about this:

quote:

1. Varys (Game of Thrones): 85%

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is dumb, I don't even know who the gently caress this is

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Anyone else looking forward to binge-watching Money Heist Season 4 this weekend?

I read this as Monkey Heist as was really intrigued until I realized my error

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sumo posted:

Monkey Heist could be the sequel to Tiger King.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sumo posted:

Would it be stealing monkeys, or monkeys perpetuating a heist? One is more interesting a concept than the other.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Monkeys stealing stuff like our hearts

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:magemage:

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Monkey Heist could be the sequel to Tiger King.

That's what I was thinking at first, which is why I was excited. Just keep ramping up the crazy-rear end docu-series all quarantine long. McMillion$, then Tiger King, now MONKEY HEIST

Iron Crowned posted:

Would it be stealing monkeys, or monkeys perpetuating a heist? One is more interesting a concept than the other.

I could get behind either. Perhaps stealing monkeys in order to train them to do heists

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sumo posted:

I could get behind either. Perhaps stealing monkeys in order to train them to do heists

Ah, perfect sequel hook!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Trip report: Archie's Weird Mysteries is poorly written, one of the ugliest cartoons I've ever seen, and overall a giant series of missed opportunities, but it's got just enough charm to make it really fun to skip through. It's a shame this wasn't made today, or even in the mid 00s, because it could be a total blast if well-executed.

Every episode is a loving sci-fi/horror b-movie homage, but filtered through an aggressively 90s lens. The pacing is just so languid. If these were 10 minute episodes it might've stood a chance, but the amount of time it dedicates to the characters is way out of balance with how paper-thin their characterizations are. The monsters are generally pretty fun even if the logic or motivations never quite add up. But I love Archie and I love b-movies and I love X-Files and this is all 3 of those mashed into each other, so I can't dismiss it completely, but I can in no way recommend it.

It does make me realize just how much 90s kid shows referenced b-movies. I'm guessing it was the rise of The Sci-Fi Channel putting these things back into the public consciousness, but I remember things like The Angry Beavers having long-running meta-fictional b-movie narratives. I know there's tons of other examples but I'm not pulling them. I might have to watch some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters to see if it holds up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

It does make me realize just how much 90s kid shows referenced b-movies. I'm guessing it was the rise of The Sci-Fi Channel putting these things back into the public consciousness, but I remember things like The Angry Beavers having long-running meta-fictional b-movie narratives. I know there's tons of other examples but I'm not pulling them. I might have to watch some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters to see if it holds up.

The people who made 90s kids TV grew up in the 60s and 70s when b-movies were the cheap filler that local stations used to fill time, so they had a lot of exposure to and affection for them and worked them into their own creations. It's like how modern kids shows are full of references to anime because that was the cheap garbage that was filling airtime in the 90s and early 00s when those creators were growing up.

E. Looney Tunes were another property that had a second life as filler content in the early days of television, but it continued to be aired on cable which is why GenX and Millennials still have familiarity and nostalgia for it. The Three Stooges also got to experience a second life when their shorts were popular on TV after theatrical shorts died out, which let them make more money and enjoy more fame in their old age than they got from the studios that ran them ragged in their prime.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 3, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I remember Rugrats had a parody episode of Fantastic Voyage. There was also an episode full of visual references to Star Trek TOS.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tk posted:

I’m not sure how to feel about this:

Clever, but emasculated?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That test?
It's all coming up Milhouse

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ah poo poo I got moon moon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think I broke it because even my top pick was only like a 62% match.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

I think I broke it because even my top pick was only like a 62% match.

I got a Harry Potter character so I definitely hosed something up.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Tales from the loop, really good so far 3 eps in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it an anthology show? Episode descriptions make it sound like that.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
So far the episodes have some character cross over but new people to focus.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

My top match was Lester Freamon from The Wire, so the test appears to be accurate

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My top two were Jimmy McGill and Dr Ian Malcolm

literally every question was about a BSG character. Helo and Boomer popped up at least 3 times each

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t that the bit after the main quiz where you’re just helping with the analysis

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got all matrix characters for that and they wanted to know if I thought Agent Smith was alpha or beta

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

bull3964 posted:

It's weird watching Devs and Picard back to back since Alison Pill plays dramatically different personalities.

Sleeping with her boss in both of them though!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I got all matrix characters for that and they wanted to know if I thought Agent Smith was alpha or beta

Some of those are too difficult to answer. I got asked if I thought Abed was insecure or confident. Like, the dude is confident as hell in his insecurity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

For some reason it asked me a lot of questions about Buffy and wanted to know if I thought Giles was a beta. I was confused.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The thing at the end is just to improve the accuracy of the test, I don’t think it has any bearing on your results.

It wanted me to decide which That 70’s Show characters were “angelic” or “demonic”.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wait until you guys find out they have "What goddess are you" or "What's your patronus" type of quizes out there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You mean to say the internet is filled with quirky personality tests for click bait and dumb time wasting? Next you'll tell me to take a quiz that tells me I'm a liberterian.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It consists of a single question: what should the age of consent be

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Should I be concerned that there's a "none of the above" option?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the quiz needed to know whether Frodo was kinky or conventional, which is an ... interesting question .

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just watching the first episode of the current season of Money Heist. Tokyo being a loving pain in the rear end, yet again, and that Arturo assclown, yet again, too. That makes me not want to watch it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nope sorry. It's Monkey Heist up in here.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

You mean to say the internet is filled with quirky personality tests for click bait and dumb time wasting? Next you'll tell me to take a quiz that tells me I'm a liberterian.

The best one I ever saw was back in 2007. A mate of mine took one of those tests, and posted the results with a "wow, scarily accurate". His personality profile was:

quote:

You have a great need for other people to like and admire you, but you have a tendency to be critical of yourself.You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Although disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside and at times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.

Which rang alarm bells, because it sounded awfully familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah come on guys quit posting about meaningless bullshit we do to entertain ourselves on the internet message board about watching television shows.