Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

droll posted:

So if they're WFH on an enterprise Win 10 machine, the attacker that owns/listens on 420.69.13.13 now has your password? This attack would work if someone clicked the link on a website though, not just from a Zoom chat?
They have your hash, which they can then reuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Minix is Intel. What does AMD run?

MAXix

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

evil_bunnY posted:

They have your hash, which they can then reuse.

What is unique about Zoom though that makes this exploit work vs. say a website or email containing the same UNC path \\hyperlink and a user being enticed to click on it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nothing. The zoom code apparently tried to limit to http/s URLs even but the Windows call they used always permits UNC regardless of the protocols specified.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

The UNC bug I found a bit odd (but kudos for fixing it), but the privilege trampoline on osx as part of their installation package is a lot worse. Still needs someone to have unprivileged local access of course in order to use it, but come on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Minix is Intel. What does AMD run?
I don't think anyone has decoded the firmware enough to get a reasonable fix on what it is, since it's apparently signed and encrypted from what I seem to remember.
However, despite the stuff identified by CTS Labs (under suspicious circumstances), and independently verified by the well-established TrailofBits team - the latter pointed out that it's still very much in line with the threat model of The Mossad doing Mossad things invariably leading to "YOU’RE STILL GONNA BE MOSSAD’ED UPON" as James Mickens so delightfully puts it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Subjunctive posted:

Nothing. The zoom code apparently tried to limit to http/s URLs even but the Windows call they used always permits UNC regardless of the protocols specified.

They just pushed an update that supposedly fixes the UNC issue. Got that when I fired up Zoom this morning.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Darchangel posted:

They just pushed an update that supposedly fixes the UNC issue. Got that when I fired up Zoom this morning.

They released an updated client 2 days ago. I know this because I had to push it out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

droll posted:

They released an updated client 2 days ago. I know this because I had to push it out.

Ah, I guess we just pushed it, then. I’m not on that side of things (yet).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
loving amateur hour here

https://twitter.com/lauracgodfrey/status/1247513615487426565

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Yeah that jumped out at me instantly when I saw an invite link but what else are you gonna do when the audience list is non-authenticated consumers? You have to distribute the password and it's just going to be in the same email as the meeting URL.

My daughter uses it with her vocal teacher. There isn't any other way that a music teacher is going to share a password with dozens of students right now, a small music school isn't going to have a worthwhile user registration system (would probably be a bigger gently caress up than this), and she's under 13 so it's against TOU at most would-be external identity providers for her to have an account.

Now if it turns out the embedded value is easily reversed to a user-chosen password by the meeting owner that they probably also use for their bank's website, it'll certainly be a laugh (and I'll have some friendly suggestions to send out), but I'm not about to touch that poop.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The password is just more numbers. They do some conversion before including it in the URL.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So, there are two models for meeting invites:
- you specifically invite a set of people, and only they get invitations
- you publish a URL and anyone with the URL can join

the password is a defence against wardialing of the 10-digit numbers; "nonce" might be a better name. zoom's meeting code + password is equivalent here to hangout's meeting URL, because hangouts generates better random meeting IDs. I would not be surprised to see zoom switch to a bigger ID space too, but the model would then be basically the same as with passwords enabled

if you want only certain people in the meeting, you either send only them the URL (the most common use case), or you filter using some pre-join thing like zoom's waiting room. for both hangouts and zoom, afaik, if someone gets the full URL they can join (this is the classroom raiding "attack"). you can disable putting the password in the URL with a thing in settings, but it's not clear to me why someone would ever share the URL and not the matching password, whether their intentions are malicious or benign.

in zoom you can also require that people authenticate to an account matching your domain, so schools could do that to have account info for the cases where students were disruptive, and prevent non-students from joining. I don't think there's an equivalent mechanism in hangouts, but I haven't looked very deeply

I don't think there's anything really wrong with what they're doing here with the URLs. Zoom's made some bad security choices for sure, but I don't think this is one of them. I certainly might be missing something amateurish.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
^ Right.

The Zoom password prevents war dialing zoom meetings to steal metadata and reduce the amount of 'zoombombing': https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/04/war-dialing-tool-exposes-zooms-password-problems/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this, for example, is amateurish and dangerous

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/04/move-fast-roll-your-own-crypto-a-quick-look-at-the-confidentiality-of-zoom-meetings/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

As a European, it's hilarious to see Americans freaking out about some code being developed/some certificates being issued from China. We've been dealing with American NSA poo poo for years so for us it's more of the same.

It hurts when somebody else does it, doesn't it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I can't remember, but there was some sort of thing this thread says about rolling your own crypto. I can't remember for the life of me, was it, always roll your own?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Axlerod posted:

The password is just more numbers. They do some conversion before including it in the URL.

Are they consistently the same numbers, or does it use your password to generate a different series of numbers every time? Because if its the former, seems like you could use that to figure out someones actual password.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RFC2324 posted:

Are they consistently the same numbers, or does it use your password to generate a different series of numbers every time? Because if its the former, seems like you could use that to figure out someones actual password.

The latter, it’s random.

I mean, I don’t know if it’s Random, but it’s definitely not the same each time.

Furism posted:

As a European, it's hilarious to see Americans freaking out about some code being developed/some certificates being issued from China. We've been dealing with American NSA poo poo for years so for us it's more of the same.

It hurts when somebody else does it, doesn't it?

I’m less worried about Chinese transit and more about them...

Defenestrategy posted:

I can't remember, but there was some sort of thing this thread says about rolling your own crypto. I can't remember for the life of me, was it, always roll your own?

Yeah, roll your own crypto or attackers can see how it works!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Because if its the former, seems like you could use that to figure out someones actual password.

Rainbow tables exist (and it would be poor design for other reasons), but a worry about going backwards from hash to password isn't really one of them.

Of course it would only mildly surprise me to find out that Zoom is using some reversible method for the passwords, but hashing libraries are trivial enough to use that I doubt even they would screw that up*

*famous last words

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

How viscerally offensive would it be to SHA1-hash a password 100,000 times to send it to a database server to be bcrypted for storage if your threat model is "bored 13-year-olds," on a scale of "disappointed in you" to "crimes against data"?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

are the 13 year olds mossad agents or no?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

This. The API they use hosed them.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How viscerally offensive would it be to SHA1-hash a password 100,000 times to send it to a database server to be bcrypted for storage if your threat model is "bored 13-year-olds," on a scale of "disappointed in you" to "crimes against data"?

This is not very far from any passwords stretching method, so yeah not terrible, but also not great. But why don't you just use pbkdf2 or {b,s}crypt and let something do this for you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

geonetix posted:

This is not very far from any passwords stretching method, so yeah not terrible, but also not great. But why don't you just use pbkdf2 or {b,s}crypt and let something do this for you
The way the number of rounds for a FDE key in FreeBSD is chosen is to test how many rounds it takes until decryption takes 2 seconds to do with the pbkdf2 function - which itself can easily be replaced.
It's "only" linear scaling but at least this way if you combine key material with a TPM, it seems unlikely that you can just take the installation to a much faster processor and break it that way.
Although by the time pbkdf2 can be decrypted by a regular processor, there'll probably have been found plenty of problems with pbkdf2.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

geonetix posted:

No libraries available in the language

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No libraries available in the language
What the gently caress are you using? There's a scrypt based key derivation function in brainfuck, how can there not be something you can use?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So BlackBerry...Yes, you heard me

BlackBerry is now a CyberSecurity company and has discovered an evidence that a China sponsored hacking group has obtained access to certs and are using this to possibly steal data.

https://www.blackberry.com/ca/en/co...by-chinese-apts

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

The way the number of rounds for a FDE key in FreeBSD is chosen is to test how many rounds it takes until decryption takes 2 seconds to do with the pbkdf2 function - which itself can easily be replaced.

While on the subject of FDE in FreeBSD, is there anything comparable to Network-Bound Disk Encryption on Linux on FreeBSD? Trying to roll out more FDE without needing remote hands or someone to console in and type a password to unlock.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

While on the subject of FDE in FreeBSD, is there anything comparable to Network-Bound Disk Encryption on Linux on FreeBSD? Trying to roll out more FDE without needing remote hands or someone to console in and type a password to unlock.
There's a bunch of stuff that plugs into PAM, including pam_mount, pam_script, and pam_restrict which should make it doable - but I'm surprised RedHat aren't using PAM for this, since it's exactly what PAM is for, and you know, it's a thing that exists in Linux too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's a bunch of stuff that plugs into PAM, including pam_mount, pam_script, and pam_restrict which should make it doable - but I'm surprised RedHat aren't using PAM for this, since it's exactly what PAM is for, and you know, it's a thing that exists in Linux too.

would it be linux if the wheel were not constantly being reinvented?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

would it be linux if the wheel were not constantly being reinvented?
rly makes u think :thunk:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

https://medium.com/@s3c/how-i-hacked-worldwide-zoom-users-eafdff94077d

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

holy poo poo that is pants on head special

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Amazing

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Prefect example of just rushing a product or update out the door with minimal testing

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I'm sure Alex "yahoo and facebook" Stamos is going to save them from this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the no-effort shitpost style of the writeup is perfectly matched with the no-effort stupidity of the bug :imunfunny:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

the no-effort shitpost style of the writeup is perfectly matched with the no-effort stupidity of the bug :imunfunny:

it looks a lot more like a barely-english-speaker considering the right aligned text than an intentional shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Seems like he took down or hid the post, can't view it anymore.