Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well I've always said I'd pay a ridiculous amount of money for a Lawrence UHD, so I guess I might actually have to do that! Is there any indication these will get individual releases down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Well I've always said I'd pay a ridiculous amount of money for a Lawrence UHD, so I guess I might actually have to do that! Is there any indication these will get individual releases down the line?

No indication yet. I'd like to think they wouldn't make these exclusive to a box set. Not that I wouldn't mind owning the six films, but I'm fine with my existing Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove discs. And really, nothing is quite as beautiful as the big box for Lawrence that came out in 2012.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, I’m not sure I care about anything else there other than Lawrence. I already have a pretty good copy of Strangelove and I’m not sure League is a movie that absolutely has to be seen in 4K. I don’t care to ever watch Jerry Maguire again.

Just give me Lawrence in 4K by itself! :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have the Dr. Strangelove Criterion, so I really don't feel much of a need to upgrade that. The other films in the set would be nice to have but really I'd be buying it just for Lawrence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

I have the Dr. Strangelove Criterion, so I really don't feel much of a need to upgrade that.
HDR, though?

I want an OLED so bad so I can watch B&W films. Sigh.

Hey does Citizen Kane have a 4k yet?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Target has a pre-order up:
https://www.target.com/p/columbia-c...gt_adv_xasd0002

Only $112, which comes out to $18 a film!

FilthyImp posted:

HDR, though?

I want an OLED so bad so I can watch B&W films. Sigh.

Hey does Citizen Kane have a 4k yet?

The 2011 restoration was done at 4K, but WB would probably re-do it with a newer scan by now. Would actually be a good UHD candidate since it was from an original nitrate fine-grain.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm not paying $18 for Jerry Maguire when there are still so many VHS copies to be had at every goodwill and underpass in north america.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If this is the only physical release of Lawrence I’ll be furious. Although since UHD is all region free, any standalone release anywhere would work...

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
These box sets are a real hounder of you only want a thingg or two from them. Hope they release some of these as stand alone discs later on.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There’s no way it doesn’t get a solo release.

But I’m also waiting on The Prestige stand-alone UHD to come back so....

EDIT: also what a weird mishmash of titles.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 3, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the odd mix of mostly unrelated films is what I try to stay away from. If it were a David Lean UHD set with Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. Zhivago and Passage to India, then ok yea it'd be a no-brainer purchase.

If we don't get specific info on a standalone release before this drops I'll have no choice but to buy it though. I don't want it going out of print and then all the sudden the only way to get a Lawrence UHD is to buy it used for like triple the price.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s no way it doesn’t get a solo release.

But I’m also waiting on The Prestige stand-alone UHD to come back so....

EDIT: also what a weird mishmash of titles.

:lol::lol: I hadn't realized it had a 4K out so I looked it up. That cover, I mean, come on. What the gently caress:

Amazon still has a few for $40 but gently caress that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the odd mix of mostly unrelated films is what I try to stay away from. If it were a David Lean UHD set with Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. Zhivago and Passage to India, then ok yea it'd be a no-brainer purchase.

If we don't get specific info on a standalone release before this drops I'll have no choice but to buy it though. I don't want it going out of print and then all the sudden the only way to get a Lawrence UHD is to buy it used for like triple the price.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it since it's still only about $20 each for six films from Sony 4K restorations/remasters, which is a steal. I doubt even the individual releases would be that cheap. The big box is going right into my closet, though.

Seriously, had they announced just Lawrence of Arabia for $112, I would pre-order it because it's my most-wanted 4K title after 2001.

Warner Bros. owns Dr. Zhivago (35mm Panavision) and Ryan's Daughter (65mm Super Panavision). Dr. Zhivago had a full 4K restoration from 8K scans, but Ryan's Daughter hasn't even been upgraded from DVD yet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

There are moments in Lawrence that still make me tear up like... 6 viewings in.

I’ve said it before but it’s a shame, at some level, that productions like that no longer exist. It’s just so much more visceral knowing that they are using hundreds of people at once, or wrangling tons of camels or horses. Some of those shots are just awe-inspiring, even ones that are just emphasizing the environment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’ve said it before but it’s a shame, at some level, that productions like that no longer exist. It’s just so much more visceral knowing that they are using hundreds of people at once, or wrangling tons of camels or horses. Some of those shots are just awe-inspiring, even ones that are just emphasizing the environment.

Yea the film still has the power to inspire awe in me even after many viewings(probably 10+). It's just so big. No CGI can ever reproduce that feeling of real expansiveness and scope.

I feel the same way when I watch Aguirre, The Wrath of God.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

:lol::lol: I hadn't realized it had a 4K out so I looked it up. That cover, I mean, come on. What the gently caress:

Amazon still has a few for $40 but gently caress that.

Still trying to figure out who is the bottom figure. Hugh Jackman? Young Michael Caine? David Bowie?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They don't even do card tricks in the movie, which is what I assume that background is going for. It's just an insult. If you elect me president I will force companies to use original key art for home releases thank you for your time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All the marketing about The Prestige really should have revolved around the fact that it's a movie about two assholes pulling sick pranks on each other, which is really why it's the only Nolan film that I fully enjoy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Apparently that poster was used in some international markets when it was originally released theatrically.

The original poster is just bland as hell floating heads anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I now rescind my campaign promise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

My first viewing was when I was 16 years old. The high school library had a copy on VHS (the letterboxed restoration). Even on my tiny 20" CRT TV in my bedroom, it was an incredible experience. Not just the scale of the film, but Lawrence is introduced as this queer dweeb who goes on to greatness. It really spoke to someone who was a misfit. Add on top all the fantastic performances and dialogue, it's a perfect film to me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More details out on the Columbia Classics 4K box...

All six films have HDR10 except for Lawrence of Arabia, which is in Dolby Vision (!)

New Dolby Atmos remixes for Lawrence of Arabia (!), Gandhi, A League of Their Own, and Jerry Maguire

Dr. Strangelove includes all the extras from the Criterion and Sony Blu-rays. Lawrence of Arabia has all the limited gift set extras, plus one new one (the international prologue). Looks like the other four films keep all the Blu-ray extras, plus adding a few new featurettes and original trailers.

Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi are split across two UHD discs each for maximum quality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea looks like I'm gonna be getting that set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

All the marketing about The Prestige really should have revolved around the fact that it's a movie about two assholes pulling sick pranks on each other, which is really why it's the only Nolan film that I fully enjoy.
It's not so secretly the only Nolan film that holds up nowadays.

I really want that UHD tho, goddamn that price.

as for that boxset, I can't wait to buy some of those discs separately. Either through official channels or buying them individually, printing out covers and purchasing empty UHD boxes. I did that with that god awful TMNT boxset from awhile back with the chintzy carboard pizza box that was torn upon arrival and the awful hard plastic disc holders.

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 3, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't really agree with that but I see where you're coming from. Memento is great, Inception is still a ton of fun (though I admit that I skip over most of the Mal stuff on casual rewatch), and yeah, Prestige is an all-timer. Outside of that I can take or leave his films, but I'll always show up to his new ones because it's a better track record than most.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Target has a pre-order up:
https://www.target.com/p/columbia-c...gt_adv_xasd0002

Only $112, which comes out to $18 a film!

The 2011 restoration was done at 4K, but WB would probably re-do it with a newer scan by now. Would actually be a good UHD candidate since it was from an original nitrate fine-grain.

Don’t forget the extra 5% off for using the target card. Really not a bad deal!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

It was on Amazon for pre-order, but taken down....

Columbia Classics: Volume I UHD Gift set - June 16
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Gandhi
A League of Their Own
Jerry Maguire

It notes 17 discs, which probably means the extra discs are for Lawrence of Arabia - the Japanese "Mastered in 4K" release used two BD-50s instead of one, so I'd expect the UHDs to split the movie across a BD-100 and BD-66. Then there's two supplement discs.

edit: They just put up the date and a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trj3Cp_QNbU

Also, Shout! Factory is releasing Polanski's The Tenant on license from Paramount

Does a box set like this usually have the movies in their own cases so I can “break up” the set and put the movies alphabetically on my shelf, or is it going to be one big case and my OCD is going to flip the gently caress out as I try to figure out where to file it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Does a box set like this usually have the movies in their own cases so I can “break up” the set and put the movies alphabetically on my shelf, or is it going to be one big case and my OCD is going to flip the gently caress out as I try to figure out where to file it?

Consensus seems to be that each film is in its individual case and can be slid out of the box. Maybe they're digipaks, but even in Sony's big gift set for Lawrence of Arabia, they used a standard plastic case (though, for four discs). I'm putting the big box in my closet and the individual films on the shelf.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Consensus seems to be that each film is in its individual case and can be slid out of the box. Maybe they're digipaks, but even in Sony's big gift set for Lawrence of Arabia, they used a standard plastic case (though, for four discs). I'm putting the big box in my closet and the individual films on the shelf.

That’s good to hear - I’m not saying it would have been a dealbreaker otherwise, but it would have annoyed the poo poo out of me forever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Has there ever been a complete uncut release of Ken Russell's The Devils on any home video format?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Has there ever been a complete uncut release of Ken Russell's The Devils on any home video format?

The UK "X" version is on DVD from BFI in the UK. Still MIA from US home video, but it's extremely likely that Criterion has it on license from Warner Bros given that it's been on Filmstruck and The Criterion Channel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The UK "X" version is on DVD from BFI in the UK. Still MIA from US home video, but it's extremely likely that Criterion has it on license from Warner Bros given that it's been on Filmstruck and The Criterion Channel.

So a couple questions. Is the UK X the full uncut version or just the least cut? And do you think that Criterion is planning on releasing it as a disc? Apparently it's on Shudder but it is missing around seven or eight minutes.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The X-Rated print of The Devils went through the states on a tour back in 2016, I assumed at the time it was hype for an eventual home video release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The X-Rated print of The Devils went through the states on a tour back in 2016, I assumed at the time it was hype for an eventual home video release.

Yeah my favorite repertory theater showed it a whole bunch of times and several were recent but I just couldn't make it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
People have been waiting for a home release of the director's cut of The Devils for as long as it's existed, but Warner Bros. won't allow it. Mark Kermode, who helped find the footage for Ken Russell to use for the director's cut, explained some of it a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY6TFTAmQg

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Amazon currently has a sale, Buy 3 for the Price of 2. The applicable films include 4ks, collector sets, Criterion blu rays, blu-rays, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Well... it’s come to this. I’m rearranging my living room to accommodate another Atlantic Oskar. The big boy.

Never thought it would happen but here we are. To the next couple hundred of movies that can’t be revoked due to DRM or licensing!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Arrow Video Easter Sale is live, from April 8th - April 22nd

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I know Arrow's site sometimes lists discs as region-locked when they're not. Is there a reliable resource as to which ones of theirs will work in Region A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Splint Chesthair posted:

I know Arrow's site sometimes lists discs as region-locked when they're not. Is there a reliable resource as to which ones of theirs will work in Region A?

Only way i know is to go to blu-ray.com and change the search region to UK, search for the movie title and click the Arrow release. On the title's page there will be a tab for region coding where user's can submit playback results. Sometimes the information will be wrong and there may even be multiple conflicting submissions. Fun!

It's made me skip out on the last few Arrow sales because i just cant be bothered. Arrow, add this information to your damned site!