Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
This morning, on my way to work at 7:45am I'm certain I was behind a drink driver. The driver was going about 10 miles per hour in the left lane, they started with the left tires over the yellow line, then drifted towards the right lane until they were over the right lane. It was approaching a stoplight, about 40 feet away and the driver just kept slowly creeping forward without stopping. As they inched forward, they veered from one side of the lane to the other, the drivers in the right lane were honking because they thought they were going to get hit. The driver finally came to a stop after the light turned green, then waited 10 seconds and slowly creeped down the road swerving back and forth across the both lines. I hope it was just someone drunk but I'm more afraid it's just a geriatric driver who will never loose their license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today I found out what it sounds like when a jogger bounces off my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrlNrywyZI

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FBS posted:

Today I found out what it sounds like when a jogger bounces off my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrlNrywyZI

That light looked extremely green for you!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My dad I may be considered by some to be amongst the titular People after what we ended up doing today. if any of those people rage-passed us today, sorry, but vote for people who won't leave your interstates like this if you don't like it:

We have a uhaul full of household stuff so gently caress anyone who expects us to do 80 on that bullshit.

I-40 in Arizona

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Javid posted:

I-40 in Arizona

I used to regularly travel a 30 mile stretch of that highway that's worse than much of the rest of the state due to tourists, snow bunnies, and college students on top of the regular truckers and commuters. For a while, I had it down to a science of where I needed to change lanes and ignore the haters because the rear suspension on my old Outback was shot and it would feel like I was fish tailing on dry days if I didn't miss 'em. I even had a foreman who would tell new employees to stay in the left lane going eastbound in the first curve past Bellemont because he lost a month old truck due to ice building up in one particular pothole. He hit it, spun out, and totalled a new Tacoma, and didn't want it to happen to anyone else.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Javid posted:

My dad I may be considered by some to be amongst the titular People after what we ended up doing today. if any of those people rage-passed us today, sorry, but vote for people who won't leave your interstates like this if you don't like it.

Yeah, that's reasonable.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Javid posted:

My dad I may be considered by some to be amongst the titular People after what we ended up doing today. if any of those people rage-passed us today, sorry, but vote for people who won't leave your interstates like this if you don't like it:

We have a uhaul full of household stuff so gently caress anyone who expects us to do 80 on that bullshit.

I-40 in Arizona
Were you in the right lane going 60? You're fine.

Were you in the left lane going 60? I'll rage at you.

Were you in the left lane going 80? You're fine.

Stop at the Love's near Winslow and get some Chester's Chicken.

That highway looks pristine compared to some poo poo I have to drive on in SC. My big truck is limited to 65, so I'm stuck in the right lane where there are second level potholes (the top layer of asphalt is gone, and then another layer of asphalt is gone) and just sections of the right shoulder that are subsiding.

Now that traffic is getting lighter sometimes I'll move to the left to the non-hosed-up road, but I pay attention to my mirrors and move over appropriately,. Most of the time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I40 in AZ is pretty much a mess, and yeah it is insane how much more wear there is in the right lane than the left. I doubt you were the only one left-lane hogging by a long shot.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
We were doing 65 in the left lane unless somebody actually wanted to pass, at which point we got over and kinda rode the fog line instead of driving in the worst of it. I'm not doing 80 on this disaster of a road for any reason.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Javid posted:

We were doing 65 in the left lane unless somebody actually wanted to pass, at which point we got over and kinda rode the fog line instead of driving in the worst of it. I'm not doing 80 on this disaster of a road for any reason.
Riding the fog line is lots of fun. I do it all the time.

:negative:

Good for moving over when you could.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

I-40 in Arizona

this was the south side 202 between the 10 and McClintock for over a decade. finally filled most of it end of last year but i suspect it wont last long.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

this was the south side 202 between the 10 and McClintock for over a decade. finally filled most of it end of last year but i suspect it wont last long.

I think they're just gonna grind it down to concrete like the right lane of 202EB between 101 and Dobson.

I don't know how that stretch of 202 got shredded that badly, either. 60 sees way, way more traffic and hasn't worn like that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how that stretch of 202 got shredded that badly, either. 60 sees way, way more traffic and hasn't worn like that.

Incredibly lovely drainage (i suspect)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This was posted on a police FB page yesterday. A bloke in his 60s thought he could drive from one side of Australia (Melbourne, Victoria to Perth, Western Australia) with this shitheap. His story was that his sister lives in Perth and has the corona virus and wanted to visit her. Thankfully got nabbed before he left his suburb

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, of course it's dangerous.

It's a loving Daewoo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've noticed more people asymptotically approaching red lights. I mean, they don't pull up to them at stop like a reasonable person, they start slowing down at a big distance to it and then go slower and slower as they get closer to the stop bar.

Why, people?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah, there's no way that cardboard is secure enough. He should have gone without it. Thankfully the cops were there to pull him over to stop him from driving with an unsecured load.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Phanatic posted:

I've noticed more people asymptotically approaching red lights. I mean, they don't pull up to them at stop like a reasonable person, they start slowing down at a big distance to it and then go slower and slower as they get closer to the stop bar.

Why, people?

Why are you wasting gasoline and wearing your brakes faster for no reason? Coast down like a normal person. My mother will enthusiastically accelerate towards a red light and it drives me crazy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wallaka posted:

Why are you wasting gasoline and wearing your brakes faster for no reason? Coast down like a normal person.

I'm not talking about coasting. That is indeed the normal thing. The point is not to reach 0 speed at infinite time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Depends on if there's traffic or not. If I'm not holding anyone up, I'll absolutely coast down to an absurd amount in a low gear to avoid actually stopping. The point at which I can't continue at idle in 2nd gear is usually the point at which point I'll just clutch in and stop. Better than the freaks who will stop, and then creep several feet at random intervals at a red light for no reason.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The people who creep forward at red lights are invariably the ones that will sit for a full 2 count when the light turns green.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Depends on if there's traffic or not. If I'm not holding anyone up, I'll absolutely coast down to an absurd amount in a low gear to avoid actually stopping. The point at which I can't continue at idle in 2nd gear is usually the point at which point I'll just clutch in and stop. Better than the freaks who will stop, and then creep several feet at random intervals at a red light for no reason.

I hate those pricks with a passion, some will stop and crawl forward and stop and crawl forward and stop and crawl forward, over and over again. I'm half convinced they're replacement clutch salesmen.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

This was posted on a police FB page yesterday. A bloke in his 60s thought he could drive from one side of Australia (Melbourne, Victoria to Perth, Western Australia) with this shitheap. His story was that his sister lives in Perth and has the corona virus and wanted to visit her. Thankfully got nabbed before he left his suburb

At first I was like: "yeah, bad, but not terrible" until it dawned on me that in Oz that's the driver's side. :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

At first I was like: "yeah, bad, but not terrible" until it dawned on me that in Oz that's the driver's side. :stare:

Same, only just now :stonk:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ili posted:

I hate those pricks with a passion, some will stop and crawl forward and stop and crawl forward and stop and crawl forward, over and over again. I'm half convinced they're replacement clutch salesmen.

gently caress those people, I just ignore them unless I'm in gridlock and someone needs that extra space to clear an intersection or something. I'm not going to gently caress over my clutch because these jackasses can't stop their car and keep it stopped for the duration of a red light.

Honestly, why are they doing that? What do they gain in any sense by doing that?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

PT6A posted:

Honestly, why are they doing that? What do they gain in any sense by doing that?
They have automatic transmissions and their foot's slipping off the brake.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

It's probably a structural upgrade.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some moron in my neighborhood give me the stink eye for daring to make a right turn in front of her, forcing her to drive on the correct side of the street. Lady, I know that there isn't a middle line, but it isn't that fuckin hard.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Craptacular posted:

They have automatic transmissions and their foot's slipping off the brake.

Plenty of people love stopping with a 1-1.5 car gap and then creep forward in anticipation of the light turning green. They creep more/faster the closer they are to a green light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Plenty of people love stopping with a 1-1.5 car gap and then creep forward in anticipation of the light turning green. They creep more/faster the closer they are to a green light.

Yes, but why?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I want to know if you creep forward till your entire car is in the intersection at what point is it just running the red really, really slowly? I see a ton of that poo poo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think there's a deep seated human need to do something, even when you intellectually know you can't affect the outcome. It's the same reason people form a 100-person deep queue the moment the gate attendant breathes into the microphone or pressing the floor button repeatedly in an elevator.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Or like the sunken cost fallacy affection people waiting at the ER that have no business being at the ER.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

bolind posted:

I think there's a deep seated human need to do something, even when you intellectually know you can't affect the outcome. It's the same reason people form a 100-person deep queue the moment the gate attendant breathes into the microphone or pressing the floor button repeatedly in an elevator.

Or walking up to a crosswalk with 4 people already there and pushing the button anyway.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Or walking up to a crosswalk with 4 people already there and pushing the button anyway.

I’m occasionally that person. All it takes is that one time seeing the human *not* push the button :allbuttons:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Every time this creeping thing comes up I'm surprised and wonder why I've never seen it. I think I realized why: in the US the lights are positioned after the intersection but here they are set up before it. If you creep forward beyond the line you're not going to see the lights any more. So if you do it, you won't know when to go and that discourages it pretty well.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Entropist posted:

Every time this creeping thing comes up I'm surprised and wonder why I've never seen it. I think I realized why: in the US the lights are positioned after the intersection but here they are set up before it. If you creep forward beyond the line you're not going to see the lights any more. So if you do it, you won't know when to go and that discourages it pretty well.

That's nothing consistent. Also as a tall person in a low car I frequently have to lean forward to see the lights if I'm at the stop line.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

stolen from reddit

that's a toll sensor sticker

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Don't worry about the sticker, the driver's iPhone covers it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FBS posted:

stolen from reddit

that's a toll sensor sticker

Sorry to sound like an idiot, can you explain this to me?