Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Movie news is now theater implosion news

quote:

S&P Global said the world’s largest exhibitor AMC Entertainment risks running out of cash by mid-summer and the ratings agency doesn’t think movie theaters will reopen in June – a prediction AMC CEO Adam Aron made on CNBC this week.

“We expect AMC Entertainment … theaters will remain closed beyond June due to the impact of the global coronavirus pandemic. We do not believe AMC has sufficient sources of liquidity to cover its expected negative cash flows past mid-summer, and we believe the company will likely breach” a debt covenant in September absent a waiver from its lender, S&P said, knocking the company’s credit rating to ‘CCC-‘ From ‘B-‘ with Outlook Negative.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/sp-amc-entertinment-cash-crunch-theaters-reopen-june-1202899484/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just in time for moviepass to make its comeback

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0NLGcL6pI

https://twitter.com/Queerty/status/1245810747004743680?s=20

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Iron Crowned posted:

Looted from C-SPAM:

:lol:

Cowards, declare for us what the #1 release of the Last Week Of Movies was

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so I thought about The Turning for some reason

that did 18 million at the box office on a 14 budget

what the gently caress :stare:

it had strange wolflife in it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alan Smithee posted:

Just in time for moviepass to make its comeback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBO_7UezpbY

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Please don't die AMC :ohdear:

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Between Moviepass and A-List, I haven't paid for my own movie ticket (aside from special screenings) for 2 and half years. If AMC goes under or cancels A-List, just cancel all of the movies because I don't want to go anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Please don't die AMC :ohdear:

While the death of the theater industry would be a bad thing in the immediate, if it ushers in an era of independent theaters thriving then that would be something good to come out of all this. However, it's more likely that the recent reversal of United States v. Paramount Pictures means that all the major studios will take the opportunity to open up their own theaters again and people anywhere other than major cities will be forced to go to the local Disney Brand Theater playing Disney Brand Movies as their sole option.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After being delayed multiple times and having theaters being shut down for the foreseeable future Disney has decided to just dump Artemis Fowl on Disney Plus. No word on when though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

muscles like this! posted:

After being delayed multiple times and having theaters being shut down for the foreseeable future Disney has decided to just dump Artemis Fowl on Disney Plus. No word on when though.

I legit thought that movie came out and nobody just noticed, like Mortal Engines did.

Homeybeef posted:

Between Moviepass and A-List, I haven't paid for my own movie ticket (aside from special screenings) for 2 and half years. If AMC goes under or cancels A-List, just cancel all of the movies because I don't want to go anymore.

I'd really miss A-List, even though I find myself irritated by the actual theater experience most of the time, but it did give me a real easy way to watch such generation defining movies like Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and Men in Black: International.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like an Artemis Fowl movie coming out now is about ten years too late.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm been seeing a lot of negative buzz about it on other sites; apparently the trailers make it seem that they're essentially beginning with the second book and ignoring that Artemis is initially the villain of the series, which is basically throwing away the main distinctive element of the property.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Probably worse than that. I think the height of popularity was the early 2000s. Of everything jockeying to be the nextHarry Potter only The Hunger Games really got close

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably worse than that. I think the height of popularity was the early 2000s. Of everything jockeying to be the nextHarry Potter only The Hunger Games really got close

Twilight would probably count depending on how broad a net you're going for. It was the next big teen lit/young adult adaptation.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Casimir Radon posted:

I very distinctly remember seeing a teaser for an Artemis Fowl Movie way back in 2002 or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Twilight would probably count depending on how broad a net you're going for. It was the next big teen lit/young adult adaptation.
I forgot about Twilight, of course so did everyone else it seems. I suppose The Maze Runner finished too I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Eoin Colfer was definitely promoting a "coming soon" movie adaptation in the books early on.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

GrandpaPants posted:

I legit thought that movie came out and nobody just noticed, like Mortal Engines did.

God I wish Mortal Engines had been good.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
You don't wish all movies were good?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Homeybeef posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd really miss A-List, even though I find myself irritated by the actual theater experience most of the time, but it did give me a real easy way to watch such generation defining movies like Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and Men in Black: International.
Seriously. I've had MoviePass and then A-List for years now and those have given me a reason to go to the theater more and check out things I might otherwise not have given a chance. If I lose A-List, I'm gonna be going to theaters significantly less and that bums me out because it's been an almost weekly tradition for me to go on Thursday night to see a new movie for a while now :smith:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

muscles like this! posted:

Hilariously, New Mutants conspicuously absent from all their rescheduling today unless I missed something

Who did that movie piss off at Disney

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hilariously, New Mutants conspicuously absent from all their rescheduling today unless I missed something

Who did that movie piss off at Disney

Kevin Feige, probably.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

cptn_dr posted:

God I wish Mortal Engines had been good.

This was the last trailer to get me excited for a film but boy maybe im just soft for industrialisation visuals and chains.

No wonder i love DOOM.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

I forgot about Twilight, of course so did everyone else it seems. I suppose The Maze Runner finished too I guess.

If being made counts, Ender's Game exists.

Lot of franchise potential there. Kids'll love it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
There must be an Animorphs movie in development hell somewhere. Mixing the protodystopia kid war of Hunger Games and the furry cgi of Cats. Get on it Universal.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Animorphs was way ahead of it's time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I was referring to YA franchises that turned into abortive attempts at film series. The early 2000s was full of YA attempting to follow the Harry Potter formula. Alex Rider, one movie. A Series of Unfortunate Events, died after one film, redone on Netflix, don't know how that went. Percy Jackson, two movies then dead. The Golden Compass, toned down to try and appease dumb fundies, died after one film, ended on a cliffhanger, wasted an amazing cast, rebooted very well on the BBC. Divergent, three movies that kept getting worse and worse critical and commercial results before dying.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Casimir Radon posted:

I was referring to YA franchises that turned into abortive attempts at film series. The early 2000s was full of YA attempting to follow the Harry Potter formula. Alex Rider, one movie. A Series of Unfortunate Events, died after one film, redone on Netflix, don't know how that went. Percy Jackson, two movies then dead. The Golden Compass, toned down to try and appease dumb fundies, died after one film, ended on a cliffhanger, wasted an amazing cast, rebooted very well on the BBC. Divergent, three movies that kept getting worse and worse critical and commercial results before dying.

Jumper.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Animorphs was way ahead of it's time.

If they made it now it would have to be a mid 90’s period piece because cell phones and the modern internet pretty much undo the whole premise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't see a problem with that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

If they made it now it would have to be a mid 90’s period piece because cell phones and the modern internet pretty much undo the whole premise.

Broad strokes yes but the ahead of its time part is more that by the end it was fully in War Is Hell everyone has PTSD and we send disabled kids into a mission as cannon fodder knowing theyll die because theyre expendable and for the greater good and its not presented as a moral horizon failing but that its war and a decision had to be made. It could still work.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lid posted:

Broad strokes yes but the ahead of its time part is more that by the end it was fully in War Is Hell everyone has PTSD and we send disabled kids into a mission as cannon fodder knowing theyll die because theyre expendable and for the greater good and its not presented as a moral horizon failing but that its war and a decision had to be made. It could still work.

I suppose, but a lot of the things that made it work on a character to character level were rooted in the 90’s zeitgeist. That said, you’re right, the underlying themes are pretty timeless and someone talented enough could do something with it. Racking my brain trying to think of who would ideally helm a project like that.

Lol, just remembered the book that asked “what if god...was a gamer???”
Now THAT was ahead of its time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Ender's Game is such a weird loving adaptation.

They toned like...everything from the book to try and give it a wider appeal, but then toned down the sheer size and spectacle of the Battle School and just made it as boring and small scale as gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Silver2195 posted:

I'm been seeing a lot of negative buzz about it on other sites; apparently the trailers make it seem that they're essentially beginning with the second book and ignoring that Artemis is initially the villain of the series, which is basically throwing away the main distinctive element of the property.

well, no, really the more distinctive thing about Artemis Fowl is that it's Shadowrun for kids. Artemis is initially the antagonist, and the first book makes it look like he's a huge poo poo, but then his motivation turns out to be curing his mother's mental illness by press-ganging a fairy into magicking it away rather than the initial gold-ransom. from that point on, he's sort of comparable to, say, Lupin III: a character who achieves good goals through questionable methods, that usually have some sort of selfish benefit for him attached.

e: I used to really like these books, and I'm a little miffed at how poo poo the movie looks. it also puts me in a very awkward position with Butler's casting, because I don't wanna be that rear end in a top hat who gripes about a character being black, but... Butler was already a POC in the books and him being very specifically Roma ends up being kinda important later on? so I'm not really sure what they're gonna do with that.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver2195 posted:

I know one of these threads made comments about how he's a happy go lucky kid based entirely on the two minute trailer

Also the very first book said "soon to be a movie" back when I was in junior high/highschool in the early 00s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I suppose, but a lot of the things that made it work on a character to character level were rooted in the 90’s zeitgeist. That said, you’re right, the underlying themes are pretty timeless and someone talented enough could do something with it. Racking my brain trying to think of who would ideally helm a project like that.

Lol, just remembered the book that asked “what if god...was a gamer???”
Now THAT was ahead of its time.

Biggest issue with Animorphs is its publishing model looks ridiculous today, since Harry Potter came along and showed you CAN sell novel-length books to kids.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, no, really the more distinctive thing about Artemis Fowl is that it's Shadowrun for kids. Artemis is initially the antagonist, and the first book makes it look like he's a huge poo poo, but then his motivation turns out to be curing his mother's mental illness by press-ganging a fairy into magicking it away rather than the initial gold-ransom. from that point on, he's sort of comparable to, say, Lupin III: a character who achieves good goals through questionable methods, that usually have some sort of selfish benefit for him attached.

e: I used to really like these books, and I'm a little miffed at how poo poo the movie looks. it also puts me in a very awkward position with Butler's casting, because I don't wanna be that rear end in a top hat who gripes about a character being black, but... Butler was already a POC in the books and him being very specifically Roma ends up being kinda important later on? so I'm not really sure what they're gonna do with that.

Yeah, a pity if they're basically skipping the first book because what makes it so interesting is basically a hostage negotiation movie from both perspectives, with high-tech fairies vs a child criminal mastermind. The later books kinda end up getting formulaic in comparison.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

To nobody's surprise (and I'm only posting about them because I asked a question earlier and this is the answer), the Marvel movies will be delayed

Black Widow's date has been moved to November 6th, replacing The Eternals, which has been moved to February 12th, 2021. After that, it gets fuzzy, because a lot of these titles are still in production and those had film stopped due to the pandemic, but we're supposed get Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and the Dr. Strange squeal in 2021, and Thor: Love And Thunder in early 2022 now.

With Black Widow's release being pushed back, it will be the longest time between a MCU release, with the last film being Spider-Man: Far From Home on July 2nd, 2019. That's about a year and 4 months without Marvel having an influence on cinema.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

There are a lot more Ender books than Harry Potter books though? I have no idea what they intended but if it was wildly successful they'd have had a lot of directions to go.

Also, A Series of Unfortunate Events was pretty good as a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There are a lot more Ender books than Harry Potter books though? I have no idea what they intended but if it was wildly successful they'd have had a lot of directions to go.

The Ender series really goes off the rails after a while. I guess you could still adapt it, but you would probably have to take some, uh, "creative" liberties with the stuff OSC stuffed into the more recent novels.