Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

hemale in pain posted:

as a self employed person the "we'll contact you" bit is scary :ohdear: like will they?! im just coasting here and assuming i'm gonna get this lump sum but if i don't i'll be hosed

It's because HMRC is still working out what to do and how.
It's a completely new scheme that's being thrown at a department that still thinks the internet is a pretty novel idea.
Details are supposed to be put in place by the end of April - which is pretty good good going for HMRC, though obviously a nightmare for people like you who want to know if they can afford to eat this month, or indeed the rest of the year.

Bape Culture posted:

No. Weirdly the govt have specifically excluded ltd company directors. I don’t get why.
Martin Lewis and all the other big money people also seem confused why. It’s a nightmare.

No, that's not right: at the moment, they haven't made that specific exclusion: the guidance suggests that they aren't eligible, but it might be they aren't or it might be that the guidance is badly worded and they are. The ink is still wet on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The wording is literally:

“Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes.”

So there’s going to be millions of people getting 500 quid through that scheme and losing everything. Insanely ftw

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bape Culture posted:

“Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes.”

So there’s going to be millions of people getting 500 quid through that scheme and losing everything. Insanely ftw

Odd, that is from the Treasury, but not mentioned on the scheme guidance page:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
It's all very typical of Conservative government "help", full of red tape and bureaucracy to make sure that only whoever the tories think is deserving gets any money. Meanwhile there's going to be assloads of people who won't be eligible that me (and my colleagues) are gonna have to be breaking some bad news to once June rolls around, if this scheme is even operational then.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Bape Culture posted:

Is anyone else a ltd company director? I’m properly hosed as it seems I can’t claim absolutely anything other than about £500 even though my clients have all shut up shop. It’s a nightmare lol

I am. do you not pay yourself anything by PAYE?.

For the last 15 years my accountants have had me paying minimum wage/the tax allowance by PAYE and then the rest by dividend. I thought this was the standard/recommended approach?

Even though you are a director you can still furlough yourself at which point you will get 80% of your PAYE earnings which should come out at about £800/month if you are working to the lower tax limit (£12500pa now)

However the bad bit for us (well me anyway) is that the shortest furlough you can do is 3 weeks and while you are furloughed you cannot do ANY work for the company (except financial/company admin or training).
So, if your work has dropped off like mine but you are able to still scavenge up a day or two worth of stuff per week the furlough scheme doesn't work very well.

If I can I think i'm going to chase my clients and blitz all my remote stuff over the next week or two, then have 3 weeks off furloughed, then come back for a week and try and blitz everything for that week and repeat (you can furlough yourself multiple times)...

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 3, 2020

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Most of the UK parts of my company are being furloughed, consequently no need for a full IT team so we're being furloughed on three week rotations. Didn't know you could do that.
There had been speculation this was coming and I really didn't like the prospect, mostly out of concern of whether I'd have a job to go back to, but having it on rotation makes me feel a bit more secure.

Naturally the company has declined to make up the remaining 20% of employee wages.

Mate I would check that - you can't rotate furloughed workers...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bape Culture posted:

I assume you’ve all saved up the money you got by dodging income tax by not taking a realistic salary, so you should be fine.

Ultimately, why should you get back the same from the system as salaried people who pay their full share of tax on their income. You’ve contributed less.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Calm down Rishi.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

wooger posted:

I assume you’ve all saved up the money you got by dodging income tax by not taking a realistic salary, so you should be fine.

Ultimately, why should you get back the same from the system as salaried people who pay their full share of tax on their income. You’ve contributed less.

Speaking as a small limited company owner I’d like you to please show your mathematical working on how my tax contributions differ significantly to yours.

Big companies like amazon can get away with contributing a lot less. Small limited companies don’t unless they work “cash in hand” (which you can also do in your spare time if you like!)

Yes - I don’t pay much tax on the Segment of my annual income that comes as PAYE. However any dividends that I draw above that are taxed at a set rate (7.5% and then 32.5%).
My dividends come from any profit my business makes... this is taxed via corporation tax (now 18%).
I lose 1 or 2 working days per month to business admin (vat returns, accounts, invoicing)
I have to pay an accountant (about £70/month for me)
I don’t get any paid sick days or holidays or training.

I’ve done the maths on this! Yes it feels good to bash people not paying income tax but you don’t pay dividend tax or corporation tax and also get paid holidays and sick days so it evens out!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

wooger posted:

You don’t have a clue lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

wooger posted:

Settle down Beavis. There’s a big difference between ‘small businesses owner’ and ‘actual criminal’.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
We bought a SodaStream so we have fizzies whilst isolating.

Yeah, gently caress you coronavirus. :smug:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
You know goons, I worked in retail for nearly thirty years and for most of that time I’d have happily handed over my left bollock for a ‘working from home’ job.

I’ve just finished week 2 of actually working from home and I’m absolutely hosed. My head is fried and I need several beers a something salty to eat.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

wooger posted:

Lmao loving hell

Can't you just feel smug about the people who've lied about their income being self owned by this

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

wooger posted:

Haha, how the gently caress did i miss this post

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The government couldn't possibly be expected to manage any kind of solution for people who don't have regular jobs. The tax for self-employed people is so disgustingly broken and archaic it boggles the mind and it has been for years. Little wonder that anybody who falls out of the most obvious bucket is going to get hosed by this situation.

However, no offence, but people might save their pity for people who are really going to suffer rather than somebody who has taken the time to post probably several hundreds thousand pounds worth of conspicuous consumption on this website.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think you might just be unemployed now, try universal credit.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tomarse posted:

Speaking as a small limited company owner I’d like you to please show your mathematical working on how my tax contributions differ significantly to yours.

Big companies like amazon can get away with contributing a lot less. Small limited companies don’t unless they work “cash in hand” (which you can also do in your spare time if you like!)

Yes - I don’t pay much tax on the Segment of my annual income that comes as PAYE. However any dividends that I draw above that are taxed at a set rate (7.5% and then 32.5%).
My dividends come from any profit my business makes... this is taxed via corporation tax (now 18%).
I lose 1 or 2 working days per month to business admin (vat returns, accounts, invoicing)
I have to pay an accountant (about £70/month for me)
I don’t get any paid sick days or holidays or training.

I’ve done the maths on this! Yes it feels good to bash people not paying income tax but you don’t pay dividend tax or corporation tax and also get paid holidays and sick days so it evens out!

If you somehow think you’re paying more / as much as you would be by taking a regular salary from your business, why aren’t you doing that?

Corporation tax isn’t relevant really - my employer is also paying that, as are they all. It doesn’t pay for anything on your behalf, but for your company.

The dividend tax is far lower than the 20%/40% that salaried people pay.

How much national insurance tax do you pay? That’s the tax that seems relevant for paying for this kind of bail out - it’s what pays for maternity leave etc, which is the most similar thing in concept.

Is the intended solution for your companies not to take a loan to cover running costs (like salaries)? Is there something stopping you increasing your own salary ASAP to make up the difference?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

wooger posted:

Corporation tax isn’t relevant really - my employer is also paying that, as are they all. It doesn’t pay for anything on your behalf, but for your company.

The dividend tax is far lower than the 20%/40% that salaried people pay.
Now there's your mistake - dividends come from profits *after corporation tax has been deducted*
Salaries count before profit, so the corporation tax mostly just replaces the lower tax band rate. However, you do skip NI payments on the dividend amounts, which is supposed to be why the dividend tax is then applied to make up some of the shortfall. It doesn't quite match, as company directors are obviously captains of industry and mostly vote Tory, but it's not far off.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

mossyfisk posted:

I think you might just be unemployed now, try universal credit.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

Bape Culture posted:

Did you have a nice car? How much did you spend on blow and hookers? Find your bootstraps... you should have planned for a rainy day, put some aside as you do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lots of DnD stuff going on here which shouldn't be. if people want to rant because the governments convoluted method to try and avoid paying people so they can survive while unable to work thats fine but not arguments about how someone pays slightly less tax through their method of self employment

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

These forums are amazing. I forgot I was literally Jeff bezos.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

Bape Culture posted:

These forums are amazing. I forgot I was literally Jeff bezos.

Think about all those times you exploited your workforce...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeza posted:

no offence, but people might save their pity for people who are really going to suffer rather than somebody who has taken the time to post probably several hundreds thousand pounds worth of conspicuous consumption on this website.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

Fuckin' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was just guessing, Vainglorious!!!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bape Culture posted:

Is anyone else a ltd company director? I’m properly hosed as it seems I can’t claim absolutely anything other than about £500 even though my clients have all shut up shop. It’s a nightmare lol

I am too but since I've not been doing that for more than a year the government doesn't give a gently caress about me even more than usual.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Apparently the police are preparing for a challenging weekend as there'll be a bit of sunshine. And we all know the British public cannot resist taking off their shirts and going outside

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Apparently the police are preparing for a challenging weekend as there'll be a bit of sunshine. And we all know the British public cannot resist taking off their shirts and going outside

It's a shame they can't really do much other than to tell them to go home.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's a shame they can't really do much other than to tell them to go home.

Well they can fine them all, I doubt they'd want to create that much work for themselves though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Well they can fine them all, I doubt they'd want to create that much work for themselves though.

I was thinking more along the lines of the use of rubber bullets as giving out fines is too much paperwork.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to buy mount and blade 2 today having never played warblade

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Man breaks into zoo restaurant and helps himself to beers and wine during corona virus lockdown.

Somebody was thirsty. This is strange since big shops like Tesco etc. are still selling alcohol.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jose posted:

I'm going to buy mount and blade 2 today having never played warblade

Are they pokemons or rappers?

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.
'Phone masts targeted over 'baseless' 5G coronavirus claims'
Coronavirus: Birmingham and Merseyside masts set on fire over false 5G claims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

More and more like something by Stephen King. Anyway, what kind of person sets fire to a phone mast because they believe it spreads disease? I bet it was tbe underclass or at least the knd of people who wear cor blimey trousers and live in a council flat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Are they pokemons or rappers?

You ride a horse and get into huge battles with hundreds of other people

Due to the toilet paper panic buying I installed a bidet attachment and blasting your arse with water and using a few sheet to dry is superior in every way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose posted:

You ride a horse and get into huge battles with hundreds of other people

Due to the toilet paper panic buying I installed a bidet attachment and blasting your arse with water and using a few sheet to dry is superior in every way

Welcome friend.

You have seen the light.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

You have seen the light.

jesus how high's he set the pressure

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Went for a walk around the village earlier and saw an old guy walking his dog wearing a mask (the man, not the dog). Around his neck. What is the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

monkeytennis posted:

Went for a walk around the village earlier and saw an old guy walking his dog wearing a mask (the man, not the dog). Around his neck. What is the point of that?

Maybe has one of them breathing holes in his throat, op