Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

quote:

At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
That line's especially great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Clever, but emasculated?

I’m going to go with “quietly amasses great power behind the scenes only to completely whiff when it really counts”. That seems like something I could do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tales From the Loop seems pretty special so far. Very slow, some might find it boring, but it's got that kind of late 70s contemplative sci fi feel that you don't see much of anymore. Also really, incredibly beautiful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holy gently caress the end of episode 3 of Futureman

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Just finished tales from the loop, loved it. A wonderful change from the usual sci fi dross we keep getting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought the show was going to be about a bunch of wealthy people's interconnected stories in Chicago but the sci fi thing sounds more interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy gently caress the end of episode 3 of Futureman

hahaha what the gently caress

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha what the gently caress

I'm going to be poo poo on but that was the good thing this season.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok I'll be honest, I expected it to not be so slow. I watched ep 1 and don't care too much to carry-on because it was so boring. Does it pick up or will I be just as bored? It's ok if I'll be just as bored, the series is is based in on paintings so I don't know what I expected.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 4, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm also super sick of self isolation and maybe wanting action just because. I have no idea if it is hitting my pallet in the wrong decade.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm going to be poo poo on but that was the good thing this season.

It was definitely one of the high points. I also liked the credits sequence too.

I'd rank the season 1 > 3 > 2

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo Bill Maher is doing his show from his backyard with a laugh track and it is truly something else...

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So are the last 5 episodes of Picard better than the first 5?

What an awful and boring show so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ego-bot posted:

So are the last 5 episodes of Picard better than the first 5?

What an awful and boring show so far.

If you have played Mass Effect, keep watching until the full reveal on what Agnes was actually shown by Commodore Oh to understand the show in a new, even dumber, context. Otherwise not really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I only watched the first 6 or so episodes of Picard but it was like the show just kept getting more drunk as it went along. It's pretty bold how completely stupid it gets

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have played Mass Effect, keep watching until the full reveal on what Agnes was actually shown by Commodore Oh to understand the show in a new, even dumber, context. Otherwise not really.

Cool, I'm done. Thanks for the answer. I'll have to look up some spoilers.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Croatoan posted:

Ok I'll be honest, I expected it to not be so slow. I watched ep 1 and don't care too much to carry-on because it was so boring. Does it pick up or will I be just as bored? It's ok if I'll be just as bored, the series is is based in on paintings so I don't know what I expected.

2 was a bit less slow but 3 was very, very slow and kinda dull. That's where I stopped for the day.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I might check out Tales From The Loop at some point but I am getting sick of "long lingering takes with little to no dialogue" used as a substitute for depth or profundity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only halfway through Future Man but yeah I’m definitely feeling season 3 as better than 2 but worse than 1. It is funny that the two time periods they’ve visited so far are obviously the same forest

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

It is funny that the two time periods they’ve visited so far are obviously the same forest

Ah, the Stargate method.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Late to the party but

Hoban Washburne (Firefly + Serenity): 82%
Arthur Weasley (Harry Potter): 81%
Steve Brady (Sex and the City): 80%
Ron Weasley (Harry Potter): 79%
Kaylee Frye (Firefly + Serenity): 79%
Ed (Cowboy Bebop): 77%
Xander Harris (Buffy the Vampire Slayer): 76%
Rubeus Hagrid (Harry Potter): 75%
Hugo 'Hurley' Reyes (LOST): 75%
Rom (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 75%

i am extremely pleased with my #1. :colbert:

Since i know next to nothing about Harry Potter, can someone just say yay or nay if it's good that i seem to be a honorary Weasley?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You did get the two lamest Weasleys tbh

e: oh wait except for Percy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aw dang, you're even more Munch than I am. Jealous!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Sandford_Police/status/1246125769539162113

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Takes from the loop is pretty disappointing so far, a bunch of mostly uninteresting stories where the weird and creepy world plays little role, other than as a macguffin.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Zach Braff and Donald Faison started a Scrubs rewatch podcast called Fake Doctors Real Friends. I know some people are pretty meh on Zach Braff but his chemistry with Donald Faison is amazing and they're really funny and surprisingly focused on talking about behind the scenes stuff and the whole experience of being on a network TV show for a decade. The only real downside is that it's an iHeartRadio production so there's three ad breaks in a 90 minute show but they're at least short. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Scrubs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Zach Braff and Donald Faison started a Scrubs rewatch podcast called Fake Doctors Real Friends. I know some people are pretty meh on Zach Braff but his chemistry with Donald Faison is amazing and they're really funny and surprisingly focused on talking about behind the scenes stuff and the whole experience of being on a network TV show for a decade. The only real downside is that it's an iHeartRadio production so there's three ad breaks in a 90 minute show but they're at least short. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Scrubs.

That's the only positive thing I can say about Braffs, that his friendship with Faison is real and genuinely wholesome.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What has Zach Braff done?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

What has Zach Braff done?

Garden State.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

He beat up a kid when he got punk’d

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sumo posted:

He beat up a kid when he got punk’d

That’s much more forgivable than making Garden State.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Everyone involved with prank shows should be beaten up.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah but now that kid has to live with the stigma of “got beat up by Zach Braff”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd pay good money to see Zach Braff beat up the Stranger Things kid on his prank show ngl.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Garden State.

I had a friend who obsessed over that and 500 Days of Summer as these monumentally important works of art.

Needless to say I don't listen to any of their opinions on movies, tv, or media in general.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Garden State was really good at the time. It made me cry, but then again, I watched it drunk late at night after my partner of 6 years had left me out of nowhere for no reason

500 Days of Summer isn't like, "important" but it is still a very drat good movie and it still makes me lol that the Narrator is Sully from Uncharted

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

As a white male young adult struggling to figure out life, love and identity in the early 2000s, Garden State was trite self-important entitlement on parade and pretty much the exact antithesis of meaningful or profound.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

As a white male young adult struggling to figure out life, love and identity in the early 2000s, Garden State was trite self-important entitlement on parade and pretty much the exact antithesis of meaningful or profound.

See, people have been saying this since the movie came out and I've never got this argument. It seemed to me that it absolutely knew that it wasn't profound and that any meaning it had was entirely personal to the characters. I'd even say it's fairly obvious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Basically Garden State is Conor Oberst, Garden State is The Decemberists, Garden State is Frankie Sparo and Arab Strap and Cat Power. It's knowing that your problems are the neuroses of the middle class and trying to square that with the equally obvious fact that your experiences and relationships matter as much to you as to anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Garden State is a bad movie and Natalie Portman’s character is so horrendously garbage like the worst “free-spirited woman who helps the male lead see the good things in their life” character ever written