Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
RE3 is awesome

Resistance is very fun when it doesn’t take 20 minutes to get a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I have to say with recent events, the start of RE3 is pretty on point.

Jill has spent days practicing social distancing, relying on food delivery and mail for her salvation. Turning to drug use to deal with anxiety.

Then when she does go outside, it has become hell.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I didn't expect to start and beat this game in an afternoon :(

If RE3 was a movie, it would be a direct-to-video PG-13 rated sequel to a much better film. I didn't hate it, but man, there's just not a lot going on here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The start of the game also seems to be right at the start of the outbreak proper. Central RC still has civilians running around, and there are cops trying to bring survivors to the hospital.

Depends on what you mean by "proper," I suppose.

The remake timeline seems to be something like:

September 23rd, 1 AM: A G-Virus'd up Birkin eliminates most of HUNK's crew in the sewers and smashes open some virus vials while he's at it.
September 25th: The situation is bad enough in the city proper that the RPD is turning the precinct house into an emergency evacuation point, but they're still calling the outbreak "widespread rioting."
September 27th: Most of the cops and survivors in the RPD have died or turned by this point.
September 28th, night: Jill wakes up and gets chased out onto the street by Nemmy.

If you assume that RE2make is on the same day as RE2 '98, then it's set on the evening of the 29th.

It does seem that RE3make doesn't have the same apocalyptic all-or-nothing last stand at the RPD that the original did, so the cops have been reduced to small groups rather than having been wiped out more or less entirely.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Can we all just stop and marvel at how massive Nikolai's watermelon forehead is? It's huge.

Also protip: go back with the bolt cutters as soon as you get them. You will save yourself a lot of stress.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Carlos' hair is goofy whether you're using the original birdhair from '98 or the weird grunge cut they gave him now but in my opinion the classic cut actually feels like a haircut that an adult would actually HAVE in 1998.

Also I'm not usually one that gets grossed out by games but the parasite bit is going to be a roadblock for me every time I play this game :gonk:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I'm swimming in loving bullets right now, I'm at the start of a sewer section or something, loving great and I have 30 shotgun shells and 80 handgun rounds plus one bottle of unmixed HQ gunpowder for when I find the magnum.

Is this poo poo really gonna be that action packed?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does this at least have Mercenaries mode or something? If there's no significant replayability or some other modes that are actually good, I'm gonna sadly have to put this one off until it's like $20. Can't really justify paying full price if there's like 8 hours tops of content.

Bummer because I put a lot of hours into the original and the RE2 remake had me excited for this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I beat it.

Honestly ImpAtom and other reviewers kind of made it seem like the game was way worse than it actually is. It's not as good as the RE2make, but it's still a really good if disjointed game. If RE2make was a 9.5, RE3make is a comfortable 8.

The thing with Mr. X is that you encounter him mostly in the return trip to the RPD, when you already know the layout and can quickly plan around it and kite him. With RE3make, this happens somewhat in the downtown areas of the game; you've already explored the area and unlocked shortcuts and now Nemesis is after you, but an entire game of that would be exhausting so I'm not surprised all appearances afterwards would be more heavily scripted.

I am saddened by the lack of Mercenaries though. Executing perfect dodges was really fun and Carlos punching Hunters in the face will never not be funny to me. It's a mechanic that really needs a Mercenaries mode to shine. I just hope it gets added later as free DLC like the Ghost Survivors was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It comes with Resistance which is a 4v1 online game where the survivors try to make it through a level while the mastermind sets traps and monsters to try and stop you. It’s fun. Each of the survivors brings something different to the table, and cooperation is key.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve never waited longer than three minutes playing as a survivor.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

capcom's matchmaking not working? who woulda thought.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
from what im hearing, nightmare mode sounds awesome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hit the hospital and I'm really liking it so far. It's half the game RE2 Remake was (in terms of quality, not length though this does feel shorter and the pace more... brisk) but it's still a blast. Feels like DLC for that game, to be honest, but I'm enjoying it all the same. Really liking what they did with the characters too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Don't want to read the thread due to spoilers but what is the general consensus of the game? Also is Nemesis like Tyrant where he follows you around the whole time?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jimbot posted:

Feels like DLC for that game, to be honest, but I'm enjoying it all the same. Really liking what they did with the characters too.

I'm not that far into it (i'm just at the sewers) but with how the narrative's played out so far with it being bam, bam, bam, character, character, character with short abrupt cutscenes, it really does have that DLC feel rather than full blown game.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 4, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

punk rebel ecks posted:

Don't want to read the thread due to spoilers but what is the general consensus of the game? Also is Nemesis like Tyrant where he follows you around the whole time?

I think it's probably fair to say that it feels like a DLC expansion for the RE2make rather than its own proper game.

It wouldn't be too surprising if the project had actually begun as a DLC campaign like End of Zoe before being spun off into its own thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wanderer posted:

I think it's probably fair to say that it feels like a DLC expansion for the RE2make rather than its own proper game.

It wouldn't be too surprising if the project had actually begun as a DLC campaign like End of Zoe before being spun off into its own thing.

The project began on equal footing to RE2make, at the same time. Can't make any safe claims as to total man hours and budget, but at the very least it had extra time to learn from the RE2make team.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I said it in the Steam thread, but the game feels like if you mashed together RE6 and RE2make, although not as bad as that makes it sound. It's incredibly fast-paced and pure action from start to finish. If that's something that doesn't bother you, it's still a fun romp, but if you go into it expecting more of RE2make, you will be incredibly disappointed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cardiovorax posted:

I said it in the Steam thread, but the game feels like if you mashed together RE6 and RE2make, although not as bad as that makes it sound. It's incredibly fast-paced and pure action from start to finish. If that's something that doesn't bother you, it's still a fun romp, but if you go into it expecting more of RE2make, you will be incredibly disappointed.

that actually makes it sound extremely bad rear end

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This game must have adaptive difficulty. There are times where I get hit once and go to danger status. I am actually kind of liking it when it takes time to actually slow the hell down. Carlo's section in the RPD was really good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

that actually makes it sound extremely bad rear end
It's certainly fun as hell if you just want to play all the parts of RE2make that are splattering zombies and various ghoulies without most of the parts that are slowly around looking for stuff to open fancy locks with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whodunnit? Who’s been munchin on man steak?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Finished it. Liked it quite a bit. Good companion piece to RE 2 Remake.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

This game must have adaptive difficulty. There are times where I get hit once and go to danger status. I am actually kind of liking it when it takes time to actually slow the hell down. Carlo's section in the RPD was really good.

I find that I take much more damage from behind. I died a bunch of times on hardcore from caution when bitten from behind.

I finished my first playthrough on hardcore at around 6:30 with like 7:50 playtime. 19 deaths with a C grade. Spent a lot of time knifing legless zombies, they take so many stabs.

Game was fine. I dont regret the purchase. Hopefully I enjoy resistance.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sounds like the general consesus is "good game, but probably not worth $60," so I guess I'll hold off for a sale. Resistance mode looks interesting but from watching a few people stream it, it looks like it's almost always a complete stomp one way or the other, with almost none of the matches feeling like an even struggle.

Wouldn't have minded the brisk clear time if it had Mercenaries mode but I doubt the core game would get more than one or two replays out of me, so it's probably just a bit too lean for the price for me. Have plenty of backlog to get through anyways I guess.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Do you get shop points for doing clears of the game, or are they only from accomplishing new achievements on the Record list?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I havent read the thread today since I dont want spoiled so maybe this happens to everybody but this was just a really cool moment

https://streamable.com/hf9t76

Reminded me of the T-Rex at the end of Jurassic Park

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Game rules

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so are there points where we should just run from Nemmy or should we always be trying to down him for some sweet sweet loot?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aces High posted:

so are there points where we should just run from Nemmy or should we always be trying to down him for some sweet sweet loot?
After Carlos calls you back to the subway station, the only thing he drops is a bunch of grenade rounds. It's that final section with the rocket launcher. That time it isn't worth fighting him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man this game looks good

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The new grenade launcher is trash. Give me a single shot launcher that doesn't have a ten minute reload speed. Switching rounds is a loving nightmare and there are a couple fights that require you to do so quickly. It's not even automatic, you spin the chamber by hand between shots, making it obsolete.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
So RE3 has decided to open in a resolution my monitors don't support, and open in between two of them so my computer freaks the gently caress out and I can't get in and change anything. Any tips?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Do you get shop points for doing clears of the game, or are they only from accomplishing new achievements on the Record list?

It's only records list but there is a Record for at least one of each difficulty.

If you are looking to cheese it:

Save somewhere just before a high number of enemies.

Save in the safe room just before Carlos's door defense sequence for Handgun and Assault Rifle, for Jill I used the fuse maze since it has some pretty vulnerable enemies nearby.

Pick a weapon, kill everything, reload, repeat. It might take you a few runs but you'll gain points towards both the Kill (x) enemies with (y) weapon and the Kill (x) enemies Records which are two extremely high value ones. Give it about a half hour of grinding and you'll be able to afford everything you want.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Just beat it. The game owns. I feel like they nailed this new version of Jill, can't wait to play it again on Hardcore mode. But I do wish there were more proper puzzles, but I realize that ship has sailed long ago

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Holyshit the re2021 game is re8 and its the witches and werewolves one which was originally revelations 3 but now with more being put in now its re8. I cant wait. This guy is legit btw, got alot right with 7, 2 & 3 remake:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246271327167602688?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272059501502464?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272897804468225?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246273286285037568?s=19

Hahaha yeeeesss!

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 4, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not terribly interested in whatever that is

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not terribly interested in whatever that is

The sequel to re7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love first person RE, I love third person RE.