Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You should really give static discharge another shot it's actually insanely good.

Also a lot of people harshing on searing blow in here, it is 100% good enough to carry you up to like asc15. And very very very rarely after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

misguided rage posted:

You should really give static discharge another shot it's actually insanely good.

Also a lot of people harshing on searing blow in here, it is 100% good enough to carry you up to like asc15. And very very very rarely after that.

Everybody should watch this once to live the dream and then never pick Searing Blow again because it will never happen to you.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Everybody should watch this once to live the dream and then never pick Searing Blow again because it will never happen to you.

This is my favorite jorbs VOD. It's hilarious and beautiful.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah that video ruled.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

What do you guys do for the event where you can store a card in a wall to be found in later run? It seems like it would offer really cool mixed-ability potential, but I never would want to give up a decent card for some nebulous future run when I may find it again.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Even then, the thing that won the run was the apotheosis on floor 1, not the searing blow specifically. I think jorbs said in the video that basically any decent attack would have been enough.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

WarpedLichen posted:

Oh my god that Heart fight :lol:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It's so good, because you see a 45 minute runtime and think he'll just get rolled by Slime Boss or something :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bromplicated posted:

What do you guys do for the event where you can store a card in a wall to be found in later run? It seems like it would offer really cool mixed-ability potential, but I never would want to give up a decent card for some nebulous future run when I may find it again.

i drop a curse in it and never ever touch it again, op

it never triggers on the highest ascension you're able to play so i rarely see it

e:

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 29, 2020

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bromplicated posted:

Yea that event makes for lovely gameplay due to the reason you just outlined. It only shows up at low/no ascension levels so most experienced players never see it and don't really have any sort of plan for it.

Just skip it, there's better things to focus on if you're looking to improve.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i drop a curse in it and never ever touch it again, op

it never triggers on the highest ascension you're able to play so i rarely see it

e:

My least favorite Act 1 elite for Watcher. It's almost always my first one and my deck is barely ready for it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Beamed posted:

It's so good, because you see a 45 minute runtime and think he'll just get rolled by Slime Boss or something :allears:

Legitimately easily could've been sub-40 if he didn't get all Jorbs-y the second he got a Feed in his deck. :lol:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I was gonna die on A13, then I got Eye
I was gonna watch my Watcher scream, then I got Eye
Now I'm slaying Donu and I know why, yeah yeah
Because I got Eye, because I got Eye, because I got Eye
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Watcher is very strong, fun and silly when things go well in a run. I had an A15 run with heart kill that started with a molten egg, then getting a Lesson Learned+ and Fusion Hammer as the boss rewards. And then the rest from there was easy as they say.

Krakhan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 30, 2020

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Very upset that today's beta daily is specialized brilliance and they only offered me one mantra card the whole run.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I felt like a moron for not "getting" watcher but god drat it's satisfying when it finally clicks.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
After like 200ish hours of Ironclad I'm finally branching out!

19/5/4/5 on the ascensions. I'm going to get them all up to 19 before I make a real go at beating 19/20 with Ironclad.

Just learned that if you corpse explode Donu/Deca it does double damage to the one that gets exploded :dance:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Squashy posted:

After like 200ish hours of Ironclad I'm finally branching out!

19/5/4/5 on the ascensions. I'm going to get them all up to 19 before I make a real go at beating 19/20 with Ironclad.

Just learned that if you corpse explode Donu/Deca it does double damage to the one that gets exploded :dance:

If you played Corpse Explosion twice, yes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, if you play Corpse Explosion again, the enemy, in addition to the stacks of poison, will gain a second stack of the Corpse Explosion debuff, meaning of course that when they die, they'll deal their max HP to every other enemy twice now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I thought this run was a bit promising. Maybe only the second time I made it through the Beyond with The Silent. Now I'm sad.

\/\/ fixed!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 4, 2020

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Posted your ironclad win there buddy

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I just finished my first ascension run ever! it was with the silent, and I should start taking photos of these, but it was basically an exemplar of the only way I’ve ever know how to win with the silent: tiny deck (like 15 cards), three noxious fumes+, footwork+, after image, and then a ton of block and card draw. that plus the mercury hourglass just let me grind out everyone. I drew donu and deca so I drafted a corpse explosion and let it do the work

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Jedit posted:

If you played Corpse Explosion twice, yes.

Aw hell. I forgot about my echo form, lmao

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

I thought this run was a bit promising. Maybe only the second time I made it through the Beyond with The Silent. Now I'm sad.

To give a post-mortem, that's a deck with too many bad-to-mediocre cards and a shortage of block and card draw. If you take out the six weakest cards that you added and put in a pair of Backflips, it gets much better. The relics and Glass Knife presumably suckered you into going for Phantasmal Killer with lots of attacks (a weaker strategy than it seems, rarely worthwhile without Runic Pyramid or Well-Laid Plans to set things up), and then the healing from the Bites made the deck feel stronger than it was.

When evaluating cards, it helps to know that cards that do nothing the turn that they're played need to be extremely powerful or provide a benefit that lasts the whole fight (e.g. many powers, poison) to be worth taking and that cards yielding nothing except energy require you to have much better card draw than energy generation. Both of these factors cut against Outmaneuver and Distraction, two cards that the Silent very rarely wants. Common attacks are cards that are best thought of as costs: you put a few of them in your deck because you need them to deal with early fights, but would rather not have them later in the run. Especially if you got the Glass Knife early, this is a deck that could have managed with half as many attacks as you added. Continuing the theme of cards that you could cut, adding a curse to your deck in exchange for a relic tends to be a poor trade. It's not at all obvious to new players, but it's usually best not to open chests if you have a Cursed Key.

If I'm remembering the the first decks that you posted in the thread correctly, this is an improvement: it has a notable amount of damage, scaling, card draw and block, just not in quite the right ratio. There's much more to be said about routing and the value of card removes, but you're at a point where learning to keep your deck a bit slimmer with enough block and card draw (by the time you had four energy, Happy Flower and a few good cards, draw is a major priority) should be enough to push you over the finish line.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 4, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cursed key is my friend

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Last night I had a really strong watcher run going where I could scrawl into Blasphemy and just kill everything. Then I forgot I had a Cursed key, and opened a chest for a Normality with no way to get rid of it before the act 2 boss fight. Don't be like me kids.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Defect Power build is really, really stupid and fun when it goes off. Midway through the Beyond I just stopped trying to keep track of what was happening. Cards appeared in my hand costing zero, sometimes I would deal random bursts of damage to random enemies, I just spewed out my whole hand until it wouldn't let me click cards anymore.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Defect Power build is really, really stupid and fun when it goes off. Midway through the Beyond I just stopped trying to keep track of what was happening. Cards appeared in my hand costing zero, sometimes I would deal random bursts of damage to random enemies, I just spewed out my whole hand until it wouldn't let me click cards anymore.

They need an alternate end turn shortcut that just plays the leftmost playable card until there are none. (Though it is possible for this to be an infinite and pointless loop, so you need to be able to interrupt it also).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

o / tab seems appropriate

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just can't win with Defect. No idea what I'm doing wrong (other than dying a lot). I'll post some losses later and you can tell my why I suck.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:orb:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I just can't win with Defect. No idea what I'm doing wrong (other than dying a lot). I'll post some losses later and you can tell my why I suck.

in my limited experience defect is very synergy dependent— you have to build towards a specific strategy rather than just take generically good cards

also, this isn’t defect specific, but an early Apotheosis enables a lot of goofy builds

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Today's daily climb:

Me one-shotting everything with five Tantrums and Lethality: Haha gently caress yeah!! Yes!!!!
Me staring down Hexaghost dealing 20x6 and I have no way out of Wrath: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MJeff posted:

Today's daily climb:

Me one-shotting everything with five Tantrums and Lethality: Haha gently caress yeah!! Yes!!!!
Me staring down Hexaghost dealing 20x6 and I have no way out of Wrath: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

There's a line that kills Hexaghost on turn 2.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oldstench posted:

where are your losses

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there are two defect builds that have worked for me
1) all-in on 0-cost cards. FTL, beam cell, tons of claws. you must have All for One or Scrape or, ideally, both. remove cards aggressively. you cycle through your deck at least once a turn and very rapidly build up tons of claw damage. if this deck ever gets attacked, or has to take more than a couple rounds of attacks from a boss, it is in trouble, but very often it doesn't have to. feels incredibly unfair when it works.
2) power build. this is usually also an orb build because so many of the powers affect orbs. you want tons of power synergy, ideally the mummified hand, but basically you are trying to get so many passive powers running that you just drown the enemy in incremental advantage. usually this build is a little slower and tankier. it always feels like it's about to collapse but somehow never does.

note: the first build is not great against time eater, since you might trigger him literally every turn. on the plus side you kill him fast enough that it may not matter. the second build obviously has weaknesses against the awakened one, but i just beat him on A2 earlier today using a full power build (he had I think 7 or 9 strength by the time I killed him). the momentum that deck builds is just unstoppable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

where are your losses

I finally won. Sorry I should have updated.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My brain is wired weird because I find Defect the easiest character to win with by far. I'm up to A6 with them, A3 with Ironclad, A4 with Watcher.

Silent I've literally never won with :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zore posted:

My brain is wired weird because I find Defect the easiest character to win with by far. I'm up to A6 with them, A3 with Ironclad, A4 with Watcher.

Silent I've literally never won with :negative:

I'm in the same boat. A5 with Defect, A5 with Ironclad, A4 with Watcher... one lonely A0 win with Silent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm not that hard up on Silent but I definitely find it the most difficult and least rewarding.