Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/JimDMiller/status/1246056481054736387?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Why don't we just have competent people in charge of the CDC and FDA all the time, even when it isn't an emergency?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Skwirl posted:

Why don't we just have competent people in charge of the CDC and FDA all the time, even when it isn't an emergency?

Because where else would we put the rich failsons?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

There is so, so much wrong with this, but: lol at pass a basic sanity test. You can draw the hands on a clock, here are the nuclear codes!

Oh... oh, wait, hold on...

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/liveluv707/status/1246220047615393794

Mao was right

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Seems premature to me idk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dixville posted:

Yeah not loving yet you didn't

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

Yeah not loving yet you didn't

Yeah, that's a great big finger pointed at fate right there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because where else would we put the rich failsons?

Isn't that what the diplomatic core is for?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/llw902/status/1246185102796881922?s=21

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

IQ is bullshit & co & co but thanks to the flynn effect I'd expect the smartbrain backups to tend younger. stealth generational warfare via sociological trends

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dixville posted:

It is mind blowing how utterly unprepared, mentally speaking, people are for this. They all think this is something that's just going to blow over in a week or two and we'll all laugh about it later.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1246051681592320002

Yes, Dawkins, I'm sure "the best immunologist you know" is worried about Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey and a horde of Facebook wine moms over mass human deaths, you utter fuckwit.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, Dawkins, I'm sure "the best immunologist you know" is worried about Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey and a horde of Facebook wine moms over mass human deaths, you utter fuckwit.

He's not wrong though. If the vaccine ended up being another thalidomide it would give so much ammo to the anti-vaxxers it isn't funny. There is genuine reason to be concerned about this sort of thing.

Do not let this distract you from the fact Dawkins is a gibbering idiot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yes, but deaths take precedence.

"People might die, and that would be bad publicity!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, but deaths take precedence.

"People might die, and that would be bad publicity!"

You know what thalidomide did to people, right? Because it killed a lot of babies.

I don't think relaxing health and safety regulations is the way to get out of this, man.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Midnight Voyager posted:

You know what thalidomide did to people, right? Because it killed a lot of babies.

I don't think relaxing health and safety regulations is the way to get out of this, man.

Yeah. This is specifically someone saying "we need to check up on this poo poo so that we don't gently caress up an entire generation trying to fix a problem that will suck to ride out but not doom us all".

It's not saying it's about publicity. It's saying we can't gently caress this up because it will destroy a lot more than it saves if they get it even a bit wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

woof

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Will Dick Dorkins be the first human guinea pig for the untested vaccine? No? Then he should shut his pie hole.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes everyone knows Richard "no one will ever own me" Dawkins is a dipshit but you are vastly underestimating
A: The influence and damage anti-vaxxers are capable of and have already done to society thus far.
B: The importance of rigorous medical testing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

For a more topical example of how hosed up things can get if a vaccine goes wrong

twoday posted:

yeah, for instance large scale BCG vaccinations took off in 1921 in large part because of the Spanish Flu making everyone very afraid of a TB pandemic. However in 1930 there was an accident in a German lab in Lübeck that led to some bad batch of vaccine being produced and 77 children dying, and then many places in Western Europe stopped doing BCG because they thought it was unsafe. In the meantime, that production error has been fixed and those risks no longer exist, but that's why it was not the policy in the former Axis countries (including Italy and the Netherlands, and Franco's Spain) to use BCG through the 1930's and 40's (and still to this day in those first 2 countries). However after 1945, in the post-war ruins, there began to be an increase in Tuberculosis cases in Germany, and as a result the occupying forces began vaccinating German children in 1946-7. The vaccines in West Germany came from Scandinavia, which had to massively scale up production, and this how BCG-Denmark strain became prominent in the West. In East Germany the Soviets also did a similar program, presumably with BCG-Moscow. The death rate for COVID in East Germany is still significantly lower than in West Germany today, and it is possible that the strain is the reason, as I said in my first post. However, now I think it might also be explained by the fact that the East Germans had a much more thorough vaccination program and booster shots that lasted through 1988-90, whereas in West Germany it was easier to opt out of vaccinations for religious reasons, there were no booster shots, and they ended universal vaccinations in 1975

If you're not following poo poo closely you might not understand it but the BCG vaccine is looking like it is a vaccine against COVID. So a fuckup with a vaccine has, in part, hosed up humanity for a long while.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

if we FUNDED GENERAL RESEARCH we might have invented an anti-virus ray after discovering loonytuninium or whatever. But no, all the money goes to dick bigginers and new ways to be racist with a computer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mak0rz posted:

Yes everyone knows Richard "no one will ever own me" Dawkins is a dipshit but you are vastly underestimating
A: The influence and damage anti-vaxxers are capable of and have already done to society thus far.
B: The importance of rigorous medical testing.

I, unfortunately since it is Dawkins, agree. He's an unpleasant oval office and I despise him, but anti-vaxxers are worse.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Samovar posted:

I, unfortunately since it is Dawkins, agree. He's an unpleasant oval office and I despise him, but anti-vaxxers are worse.

Yeah, no one is on team Dawkins here but broken clocks etc.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
For gently caress's sake, I'm not advocating relaxing safety standards for vaccines, I'm dunking on Dawkins because his made-up conversation put publicity over human lives.

EDIT: And also the fact he had to make up a conversation, because we know for a loving fact that if he did have a conversation like that with an immunologist he'd crow their name to anyone who'd hear that He, Big Science Man, spoke with another Big Science Man, about Big Science Things those ((PRIMITIVE THEISTS)) wouldn't understand.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inceltown posted:

If you're not following poo poo closely you might not understand it but the BCG vaccine is looking like it is a vaccine against COVID. So a fuckup with a vaccine has, in part, hosed up humanity for a long while.

Wait, really?

Is there any evidence for this?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, really?

Is there any evidence for this?

Yes, a lot but it's all correlation right now so do not count on it being a thing. It's looking way better than anything else right now though.

Some random article about it

It's literally the most promising lead we have right now. That doesn't mean it's a sure bet but it's still A THING

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inceltown posted:

If you're not following poo poo closely you might not understand it but the BCG vaccine is looking like it is a vaccine against COVID.

So according to your source, when you say "the BCG vaccine is looking like it is a vaccine against COVID", you mean that it might be partially effective, maybe, in a statistical sense, if you data-mine hard enough.

Inceltown posted:

It's looking way better than anything else right now though.
It's literally the most promising lead we have right now.

Except for, you know, all the actual vaccine candidates being developed and tested in labs all over the world right now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

So according to your source, when you say "the BCG vaccine is looking like it is a vaccine against COVID", you mean that it might be partially effective, maybe, in a statistical sense, if you data-mine hard enough.

Except for, you know, all the actual vaccine candidates being developed and tested in labs all over the world right now.

You know how vaccines work right? They don't make you immune they just seriously decrease the chance something is being spread so that it can't go wild. If 100% of the population got a vaccine you would still have people get the disease but their ability to pass it on would be so reduced it would be negligible.

Yes, there are a poo poo tonne of vaccines being developed around the world right now and absolutely none of them are safe for mass deployment. The BCG vaccine is and has been for a century. That is huge.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inceltown posted:

Yes, a lot but it's all correlation right now so do not count on it being a thing. It's looking way better than anything else right now though.

Some random article about it

It's literally the most promising lead we have right now. That doesn't mean it's a sure bet but it's still A THING

Inceltown posted:

Yes, there are a poo poo tonne of vaccines being developed around the world right now and absolutely none of them are safe for mass deployment. The BCG vaccine is and has been for a century. That is huge.

Huh, that's really interesting. Thank you!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Didn't know you could catch lice from coffee, I've never deloused a coffee in my life. Now I gotta start! How do I do it?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Picnic Princess posted:

Didn't know you could catch lice from coffee, I've never deloused a coffee in my life. Now I gotta start! How do I do it?

very carefully

also what the gently caress?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Pff you rubes, the only vaccine I need

is JESUS.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Picnic Princess posted:

Arsenic?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Thinky Whale posted:

is JESUS.

As an atheist, do I still get holy protection if I eat lots of easter eggs and hot cross buns?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Stoatbringer posted:

As an atheist, do I still get holy protection if I eat lots of easter eggs and hot cross buns?

No you need to eat one of those giant chocolate crosses.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinky Whale posted:

is JESUS.

"Mr. Ebola, I don't feel so good...."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

OptimusShr posted:

No you need to eat one of those giant chocolate crosses.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Remember Daniel in the lions den? thats totally me right now. :smug:

*gets mauled by lions*