Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Skeletron posted:

Really is quite crazy how applicable the themes of Death Stranding are to the current world situation. Isolation, reliance on telecommunication and delivery workers in the face of a worldwide quarantine. Dude is a prophet.

Thought one of the weirder aspects of the game was the profuse gushing for Sam when you deliver, and now it's even odder seeing it happening for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I never expected to see The Porter Who Lept Through Time but welp

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Friendly reminder for those starting new games in the wake of current events and the new photo mode:

The game automatically deletes old save data to make room for new auto and manual saves, so you need to manually manage your saves if you wanna keep your first playthrough. The number of saves is generous, but if you're not manually deleting superfluous saves your old data will eventually be overwritten.

I had to learn it the hard way: lost my first playthrough of about 150 hours. Don't let it happen to you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, make sure you're backing up your saves to the cloud (if you have PS+) or a flash drive because it won't hesitate to get rid of manual saves. Thanks PS4!

night slime
May 14, 2014
That sucks man. I was mad when it ate my manual saves too cause I wanted to go back and check earlier parts of the game instead of having to replay it all the way through. They should really make it easier to have multiple files instead of having to switch PSN users.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For what it's worth I know how you feel, my PS4 ate my 30+ hour save too because of Sony's crappy file naming conventions. And I was in the middle of streaming it blind so I had to replay the entire thing in a week to get back up to speed.

I'm so psyched for the PC release. One thing I'm looking forward to is dataminers extracting the audio files so I can hear all the different things Sam says when you're just walking around. The other day I was playing and he started mumbling about how sweet iphones were.

He also says stuff like "Man I shoulda been born a mountain goat" lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 3, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Dang I never hear stuff like that, think cause I'm usually running or in a vehicle. Gotta go slow.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth I know how you feel, my PS4 ate my 30+ hour save too because of Sony's crappy file naming conventions. And I was in the middle of streaming it blind so I had to replay the entire thing in a week to get back up to speed.

I'm so psyched for the PC release. One thing I'm looking forward to is dataminers extracting the audio files so I can hear all the different things Sam says when you're just walking around. The other day I was playing and he started mumbling about how sweet iphones were.

I want the codec and email noises for my phone.

I’ll be the Metal Gear Solid ringtone guy of the Covid era

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

skooma512 posted:

I want the codec and email noises for my phone.

I’ll be the Metal Gear Solid ringtone guy of the Covid era

https://deathstrandingpc.505games.com/#downloads

Enjoy

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I love when you get the special reverse trike and while riding it he's just saying stupid things that is the most obvious product placement I've seen in a game ever.

I suppose I should've expected it when you could drink chug monster energy in your private room.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

DelphiAegis posted:

I love when you get the special reverse trike and while riding it he's just saying stupid things that is the most obvious product placement I've seen in a game ever.

A YouTuber I liked interrupted her own video review of the game with a fake codec call from herself to Sam: “Now that you’re part of Bridges, you’ll want expand your visibility across the chiral network, and Squarespace is perfect for just that...” I felt like Kojima would have approved. His product placement is about as subtle as the rest of his writing, and somehow that makes it a little less grating.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thanks!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

A YouTuber I liked interrupted her own video review of the game with a fake codec call from herself to Sam: “Now that you’re part of Bridges, you’ll want expand your visibility across the chiral network, and Squarespace is perfect for just that...” I felt like Kojima would have approved. His product placement is about as subtle as the rest of his writing, and somehow that makes it a little less grating.

That's great and yeah, 100% on brand.

My last two achievements are 20 legend of legend deliveries in each category and level 60 in each category. The delivery time one is the only one not 60 and not 20 deliveries. Why is it such a pain in the rear end to level?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

picked this up again after a long hiatus (thanks sars-cov-2!) and have apparently gotten to the point where multiple catchers spawn when you get got. my first encounter did not go very well and i got my first void-out of the game. that....is an impressive crater :stare:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So the game's currently on sale for $30. Interested because Kojima and piss grenades. Worth it at the price?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Meridian posted:

So the game's currently on sale for $30. Interested because Kojima and piss grenades. Worth it at the price?

do you think you'll enjoy long walks on the beach thru greenland, accompanied by a low roar soundtrack, punctuated by moments of terror and kojima-level :wtc:? if so then death stranding is for you!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oneiros posted:

do you think you'll enjoy long walks on the beach thru greenland, accompanied by a low roar soundtrack, punctuated by moments of terror and kojima-level :wtc:? if so then death stranding is for you!

You have one long walk on the beach. :v:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Oneiros posted:

Yeah, I figured I'd get a thumbs up in this thread of all places, just wanted to double check. Now that I've finished everything in Bloodborne except Chalice dungeon farming, I look forward to tripping over rocks and pounding Monster(TM) Energy Drinks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an on the spot buy for 30 bucks imo. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

It's an on the spot buy for 30 bucks imo. Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

I am trying to find someone I can join to sling turnips on Animal Crossing at the moment so probably won't have any hot takes tonight, but the game seems like my poo poo for sure. I love Kojima and I love the Metal Gear games, even Phantom Pain so I'm curious to see this evolved hiking simulator.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

CJacobs posted:

i've been watching the recordings of your livestreams (making sure not to spoil myself, mostly) and it's been very entertaining, relaxing, and interesting watching the different approaches and experiences. just wanted to say thanks :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:tipshat: Glad to hear it. I really enjoyed doing those streams, the game really is kind of relaxing when it's just you and the open world figuring out how you're gonna get from point A to point B.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Meridian posted:

I am trying to find someone I can join to sling turnips on Animal Crossing at the moment so probably won't have any hot takes tonight, but the game seems like my poo poo for sure. I love Kojima and I love the Metal Gear games, even Phantom Pain so I'm curious to see this evolved hiking simulator.

Death Stranding does feel similar to TPP in some ways but the key difference being that hiking through the map is pretty engaging since you need to keep your cargo safe from all manner of hazards.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

Death Stranding does feel similar to TPP in some ways but the key difference being that hiking through the map is pretty engaging since you need to keep your cargo safe from all manner of hazards.

Pulling the trigger on it now to start the download so I can play it when I wake up. Really stoked. Story any good?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Definitely. Narratively I actually would compare it to TPP in that beats of narration are doled out quite slowly after the opening chapters, but when they do pop up they're well done. Once you get out of the gate they leave you alone for a while, some feel a bit too long.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Definitely. Narratively I actually would compare it to TPP in that beats of narration are doled out quite slowly after the opening chapters, but when they do pop up they're well done. Once you get out of the gate they leave you alone for a while, some feel a bit too long.

Story feeling a bit too long was absolutely not a problem that TPP had, for sure. Looking forward to this game. The one video review I watched back on launch, the dude used very early footage and did everything he could to avoid spoilers and there was a lot of Sam falling over himself and dropping his poo poo everywhere and that is hilarious. I look forward to being a very serious USPS employee.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Okay so, trip report from first session. I just arrived in Port Knot City. This game is absolutely rad as gently caress.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Meridian posted:

Okay so, trip report from first session. I just arrived in Port Knot City. This game is absolutely rad as gently caress.

:yeah:

I haven't played any since lockdowns started because I've been going through the metal gear games in order, but it's just so good and fun.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1246920550196211712

Watch the video...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

No loving way! :krad:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just had a heart orgasm at that BB ringtone.

Meridian posted:

It was my GOTY 2019. First time I've beaten a Kojima game and almost platinumed it too, once I get off my rear end about it.

Debating buying it again for PC just because. God drat that game was good.

Meridian posted:

It gets better and better.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Last night I went back to the starting zone to work on getting five stars. So cool to see new bridges and structures popping up. I am considering going through and building Timefall shelters by every hub so people can repair without burning repair spray. That and trying to figure out a easier way to Wind Farm.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Meridian posted:

Last night I went back to the starting zone to work on getting five stars. So cool to see new bridges and structures popping up. I am considering going through and building Timefall shelters by every hub so people can repair without burning repair spray. That and trying to figure out a easier way to Wind Farm.

You can zipline to Wind Farm quite easily.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gambrinus posted:

My network required to get off and transfer at the start of the forest. It was late game so I was just trying to get the cheevos and bail so whatever.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Gambrinus posted:

Ah I haven't unlocked that yet. I just got to Director and Junk Dealer last night.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah i would absolutely advise not finishing the first area until you unlock ziplines, although i would have to disagree on that "zipline to the windfarm" easily part, i had to do some pixel hunting to get that poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

yeah i would absolutely advise not finishing the first area until you unlock ziplines, although i would have to disagree on that "zipline to the windfarm" easily part, i had to do some pixel hunting to get that poo poo

I never did figure it out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

All you need is the truck and judicious use of the jump button to get wherever you need.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I had a pretty fortunately placed bridge that I could bee-line for with a bike or speed skeleton that made the BT zone simple enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've seen people doing creative things with stamina boosting messages like indicating a path through a deep river