Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Soft Plastic pockets

That's what holds most of circulation collection, perfect excuse to open the safe and see how disintegrated my coins are. Hope my notes are ok...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Au touched 1.5k/toz gents. Silver is also making a hell of a comeback.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
Appropriately enough with silver on the rise, I just found a tarnished 1967 silver half mixed in with a bunch of common clad halves at my bank. Would there be any interest in a "roll searching/coin and currency collecting on a budget" thread or should I just post my finds here? I mostly just lurk...

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

obscure_reference posted:

Appropriately enough with silver on the rise, I just found a tarnished 1967 silver half mixed in with a bunch of common clad halves at my bank. Would there be any interest in a "roll searching/coin and currency collecting on a budget" thread or should I just post my finds here? I mostly just lurk...

Unfortunately this thread doesn't have much steam on a good day so I say post 'em here. I've always wanted to do coin roll hunting myself.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
So what's a good place to buy hand poured silver bars? I looked at ebay for shits and giggles and everything is above $20/ounce.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

So what's a good place to buy hand poured silver bars? I looked at ebay for shits and giggles and everything is above $20/ounce.

Facebook has some good precious metals groups like Silverbugs, Silverminers for buying/selling (and posting that you're looking for specific things like that) just be sure to check references. Otherwise the big vendors like APMEX, JM Bullion and Provident Metals are always sure bets. Unfortunately a lot of states are now collecting sales tax even if they're numismatics which is lame.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
I've been a casual collector for most of my life, one of my earliest memories is of searching through the coffee can full of pennies my grandparents used/won playing penny-ante cards and finding various wheat cents, Canadian pennies and the odd foreign coin. I do the same thing today, just on a larger scale - that's what roll searching's all about. For those of you unfamiliar, it's exactly what it sounds like: buying rolled coins from a bank, grocery store, change machine, wherever and searching them for anything that strikes your fancy. The best part about collecting this way is that it only costs however much you are willing to spend - and anything you find worth keeping you only paid face value for! Depending on what you're into, you'll probably go through many rolls finding nothing, but in my experience there's still enough silver and other oddities out there to keep it interesting - and counting/rolling coins has always been a relaxing thing for me so I'm not too upset getting skunked.

I do the same thing for currency, basically whenever I have extra money I'll hit up various branches of my bank and ask for $2 bills, half dollars, "anything old or weird." You wouldn't think it, but I've gotten a surprising amount of silver halves and decent condition older currency this way, plus postmarked First Day of Issue 1976 $2s, silver certificates and red seals!

Assuming I didn't mess up attaching the photo on Awful App, from the top is a $2 from an uncut sheet, a series 1976 $2 that was signed with a message from the Secretary of the Treasury at the time, a series 1950a $10 from before the "In God We Trust" motto was printed on our currency, and a 9/0 binary $20 - all except the $20 came from banks, $20 was found in circulation.

I could've sworn I'd read here that Awful App was supposed to automatically post poo poo to Imgur/the forums but to get this to show up in my post I had do do this super convoluted ritual involving first adding my image to Imgur, then having to click on said image in the gallery to get its individual URL, and only after adding dot jpg did it actually display correctly. Am I just not good with computar or is there a more streamlined way to do this?

obscure_reference fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 10, 2019

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

meat police posted:

Facebook has some good precious metals groups like Silverbugs, Silverminers for buying/selling (and posting that you're looking for specific things like that) just be sure to check references. Otherwise the big vendors like APMEX, JM Bullion and Provident Metals are always sure bets. Unfortunately a lot of states are now collecting sales tax even if they're numismatics which is lame.
Thank you!

It's probably a completely stupid thing to do but I want to try some silver and possibly even gold refining for shits and giggles. Not really to save money or get it but because it would be cool to have my own little bars I made. :buddy:

edit much later: after scouring the internet it has become clear to me that home refining even just silver is in the Dumb As gently caress category.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 15, 2019

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Silver Gold Bull has a cool little deal where you can buy a 10toz silver bar at spot price. Similar to JM Bullion's beginner pack but with the bar instead of 10 1toz generic rounds.

If it's just generic rounds/bars I'd expect spot price at the very minimum. Libertads/ASE/etc I'd expect some over spot. It's usually easy to find private buyers online from private groups that have well-referenced buyers.

Just reposting for people that may suddenly take an interest. Too bad JM Bullion's offerings are those godawful buffalo rounds anymore, but metal is metal.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
Some more circulation finds: a 3/9 binary series 2013 $5, a ten pence coin from 1992 someone spent as a quarter, pair of silver 1964 dimes someone left in a coin counting machine, and a 2019 Lowell, Massachusetts ATB quarter with a "W" mint mark for West Point - these were made for the 227th anniversary of the founding of the U.S. Mint, 2 million will be struck in each of the "America the Beautiful" designs released in 2019 and mixed in with the usual Philadelphia and Denver quarters. I was super surprised to find one so soon!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I'm starting a tradition of giving my child a silver eagle for birthdays. I have three eagles so far, dated for each year. To get some of that sweet free shipping, I added two bars to my order. Check out the tarnish/discoloration on this bar:

Anyway, thanks for all the links in this thread. Now my silver bookmarks folder is now much larger.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Since making my own bars turned out to be such a stupid idea I went ahead and bought some hand poured bars. Just a few, lol.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

Since making my own bars turned out to be such a stupid idea I went ahead and bought some hand poured bars. Just a few, lol.

Dang those are sharp. I think Yeager and Monarch are my favorite guys doing hand pours.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

meat police posted:

Dang those are sharp. I think Yeager and Monarch are my favorite guys doing hand pours.
I really like the kitkats from Yeager in particular, though some Monarch 3 oz bars on next on my list.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I've been adding little bits to my tiny collection of silver eagles that I inherited from my grandpa (through my parents cleaning things out of their house). Did a little ebay buying last week.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Double posting for a newbie question.

Regarding storage: Once you've got a coin that's clearly been in a few cash register drawers/pockets/change jars, does it really need to be kept in a sleeve or capsule? I get needing to keep high-rated or uncirculated coins like that, but in the case of what I've got above, am I really going to hurt the already banged up peace dollar if it sits on my desk for me to fiddle with, or if it gets kept in a cigar box with other (old and banged up) coins?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the coins are just sitting somewhere it doesn't matter really but they'll slowly get worse if they're being handled.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
This sounds dumb, and it is, but I've been sucked into a world of watching youtube videos of 'silver stackers' and a lot of these youtubers fancy themselves as investors or preppers for the future where they imagine precious metals suddenly becoming much more valuable.

I know there's a theoretical value in paying a premium for 'silver eagles' or 'maple leafs' when we're talking 1oz of silver, but that theoretical value is basically... recognizably or something. For me, just looking online at KITCO, you seem to be paying almost 4.00 CAD over spot per oz for silver eagles and 3.00 over for maple leafs, vs for generic 1.40 over spot for generic 1oz bars. Same goes for other Royal Canadian Mint products, they look nice but they're bought back at the same rate as .999 fine generic products.

Why would these investors pay more for this silver that's bought back at the same rate as other silver is what I'm asking basically? If they plan on cashing out within the next 10 years or so they probably aren't going to get more than generic for their premium silver right? Silver testing is relatively easy to do for small denominations too, so it isn't really a problem of counterfeiting right?

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

This sounds dumb, and it is, but I've been sucked into a world of watching youtube videos of 'silver stackers' and a lot of these youtubers fancy themselves as investors or preppers for the future where they imagine precious metals suddenly becoming much more valuable.

I know there's a theoretical value in paying a premium for 'silver eagles' or 'maple leafs' when we're talking 1oz of silver, but that theoretical value is basically... recognizably or something. For me, just looking online at KITCO, you seem to be paying almost 4.00 CAD over spot per oz for silver eagles and 3.00 over for maple leafs, vs for generic 1.40 over spot for generic 1oz bars. Same goes for other Royal Canadian Mint products, they look nice but they're bought back at the same rate as .999 fine generic products.

Why would these investors pay more for this silver that's bought back at the same rate as other silver is what I'm asking basically? If they plan on cashing out within the next 10 years or so they probably aren't going to get more than generic for their premium silver right? Silver testing is relatively easy to do for small denominations too, so it isn't really a problem of counterfeiting right?

There's a lot of overlap between the 'stacker' mentality and that of the classic 'goldbugs' (or in this case 'silverbugs' :haw: ) The central idea isn't that one would cash out the silver (or gold, or whatever precious metal one is hoarding) in our current economy, it's that in the hypothetical apocalypse/SHTF scenario those coins would still have value due to their content. Presumably our paper currency would only have value as tinder or TP after the collapse of world govts since we are no longer on the gold standard. It follows that if one is distrustful of 'clad coinage'/'fiat currency' then it's easier to rationalize spending it on silver or gold which one believes has more intrinsic value!

obscure_reference fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 7, 2019

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Stackers loving getting caught up in fancy limited run coins, boutique custom pours etc. basically the limited edition collectible Elvis Plate of the coin world.

I say if you’re going in for strictly investment than metal is metal. I’ve gotten caught up on the numismatic angle so I love getting graded coins here and there—but some random bars or generic rounds is always a good time.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
shiny disc are prety

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're not trying to make money out of Fallout silver in 2020 after Trump nukes Ohio, they're trying to make money out of idiot Youtubes right now.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
For those of you into bank notes, De La Rue is in trouble:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50557097

Surprisingly, it's not because of people using cashless options--they lost the post-Brexit passport printing contract to a continental firm.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Anyone dealing with fallout from the Silver Eagle limited run the Mint had? I've stopped checking FB groups due to the high school drama arising from promised buy prices being reneged on by all sorts of sellers. Seriously kicking myself for not trying to pick up a few though due to the hysteria.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

meat police posted:

Anyone dealing with fallout from the Silver Eagle limited run the Mint had? I've stopped checking FB groups due to the high school drama arising from promised buy prices being reneged on by all sorts of sellers. Seriously kicking myself for not trying to pick up a few though due to the hysteria.

What happened?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

stealie72 posted:

What happened?

The US mint released some "super special" limited mint silver dollars. Certain coin-collecting people were promised these silver dollars at a set price from other big-time buyers. These big-time buyers ended up either striking out or buying a few and realizing the demand was far higher than expected. So most dipped out from previous deals and sent off their spoils to PCGS to sell off at an insanely higher rate. Set up a huge debate of the legitimacy of the common handshake deal.

I'm honestly a proponent of the handshake deal. Your legitimacy is only as good as your word.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

That sounds like eBay sellers just doing what they do.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

If gold would just drop back below 1,200/oz that would be lovely.

Any loving day now

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
:getin:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

meat police posted:

So most dipped out from previous deals and sent off their spoils to PCGS to sell off at an insanely higher rate. Set up a huge debate of the legitimacy of the common handshake deal.

Gadsden flag waving silverbug libertarians getting a taste of their own medicine.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

beep-beep car is go posted:

Gadsden flag waving silverbug libertarians getting a taste of their own medicine.

There's still a surprising amount of guys that'll eat the loss on deals which is admirable in it's own way. Facebook coin groups of old men stirring up drama will never not be funny though.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Kind of surprised this thread isn't poppin' all things considered :sweatdrop:

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Silver is cheap but I can't buy in $300 lots at $7 over spot. I plan on leaving my small horde to my kid so I don't mind that the price is down.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised this thread isn't poppin' all things considered :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I was expecting the goldbugs etc. to be going nuts, maybe they all got covid. I probably read the data all wrong, but somehow the greenback is the big "winner" in this downturn?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Yeah, I was expecting the goldbugs etc. to be going nuts, maybe they all got covid. I probably read the data all wrong, but somehow the greenback is the big "winner" in this downturn?

paper metal is out for the most part in any groups I've followed, physical buy/sell prices haven't matched COMEX prices for a bit.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I know it's not a good time to buy gold, but I couldn't resist buying some Romanov roubles.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Parts Kit posted:

I know it's not a good time to buy gold, but I couldn't resist buying some Romanov roubles.

😍

Well fellas gold pushing closer to 2k. Stocks ... up? Happened during early COVID too.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
And silver up to $25, definitely the highest I've ever seen it since I started collecting :eyepop:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've been given a stack of international currency in bills. I've been able to identify about 42 different countries so far, but there are still a bunch that I can't identify. It's a pretty neat collection, since a lot of the bills come from cold war eastern europe or south-east asian countries that have changed names or don't exist anymore. Looks like the bills date from sometime around the '1920s to the 00's. (not all have dates of issue, but there are some german bank notes with hilariously large sums that must be post WW1)

My questions:
Would there be any interest in posting some pics of the weirder bank notes?
Can y'all identify the mystery notes or do you know of any online resources that I can use?
Any chance some of them are worth something? They are in pretty poor condition (and I want to keep some of the pretty ones :3: ) but hey, there might be something collectors are interested in.

E: This is one of my favourites, the deer are nice! It's also quite small, about half the size of dollar bill. Not sure where it's from, somewhere in SE Asia perhaps?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's a Nepalese 1 rupee banknote, NRB-24 on this page: https://www.nuphil.com/BankNotesofNepal.html