Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Trip Report:

Recently took up a remote only job, so need something better than a dining room chair for my office.

Spent sometime researching chairs, reading through this thread, checking out manufacturer websites, and doing some pricing out of builds to get a grasp of what's out there. Contacted the two major office equipment dealers in town, one for Herman Miller, the other for Steelcase. I already had familiarity with the Steelcase Think as it was the main chair at the company I was with for 6 years but figured I should check out what's new in Herman Miller as the last interaction I had with them was the post dotcom boom Aeron, which I didn't like.

Herman Miller dealer: ghosts. Followed up with them asking if they didn't want to deal with a single chair sale and they claimed their response was in drafts. Came in, spent a decent chunk of time with them, left interested in the Mirra 2 and asked for some sample build outs with various options to get an understanding of pricing. Never heard from them again.

Steelcase dealer: responded to me pretty quickly, understood my needs and we setup a time to visit the showroom. Spent over an hour there trying out multiple chairs, using them with a desk, and we went over fabrics and options. The communications were a little odd in nailing down the purchase order but ultimately bought a Leap from them. (Aside, figured out that my emails were going to Junk mail when speaking with the sales rep yesterday.)

Got an ETA for production and shipping and Steelcase came in a little early. It arrived Monday broken where the pivot arm attaches to the bottom of the back piece on one side. So, now I'm dealing with that mess. The dealer finally got the situation squared today and they'll be producing a new chair with an unknown ETA at this time. When asked what do I do with the broken chair, "Keep it".

And that's my Ted Talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

surc posted:

Dang, alright appreciate the input! Yeah I'm on a size C at the moment as well. Was it noticeable in-store/immediately that it wasn't a good fit?

Yeah, pretty much. I think the seat back being too short was the most immediately obvious problem - it seems very much designed for your back to be in a specific spot, and mine just couldn't get there.

Maybe if you have different torso/leg proportions /shoulder width it might work? I think it's explicitly only designed to fit people up to 6'1" though, unfortunately.

Truly things are kind of grim for tall office chair options.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've had many a chair in my day but I still contend this toadstool I ripped the broken back off of is the best throne I've ever had.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

LLJKSiLk posted:

I'm considering going no-chair for a standing office solution. I say this because I spend 8 hours at my computer while at work, and anywhere from 3-4 hours on my computer at home.

Regardless of how much exercise you get, your muscles are not being supported properly while sitting, and this leads to the posture problems, etc. because chairs are not "normal" when considering human evolution.

Might be something you'd want to look into as an alternative, though it will require some shifting of your desk. You can also sort of use books/boxes to stack monitors and keyboard to a standing height if you don't want to fork over a bunch of money for an IKEA standing workstation.

This is a good read:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/standing-at-work/

I built my own standing desk as a carpentry project. looks like slapdash but it holds together just fine.
basically a h with the monitor arms on the tall part and the keyboard across the horizontal.
ama

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

terrenblade posted:

I built my own standing desk as a carpentry project. looks like slapdash but it holds together just fine.
basically a h with the monitor arms on the tall part and the keyboard across the horizontal.
ama

Post the desk pics, coward.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Plastik posted:

Post the desk pics, coward.

This.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I made a walking desk out of my treadmill, got try try it out this morning. Need a laptop stand, had to elevate it with a really fancy cardboard box, but other than that, it seemed pretty ideal and I put in a full hour/2 miles without even realizing it. I think once I have a stand I’ll be able to adjust the laptop to be just the right position.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Any of the good ergonomic chairs have a fully reclined mode with legrest? Sometimes I just want to push back and watch a movie, and I can't put two chairs in my office or get a real recliner for the livingroom (cat + kids would destroy it immediately)

Something like the hbada but not cheap unadjustable junk.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

It’s me. Looking for a good office chair. Need a healthier lower back.

Budget is $400 max.

Unfortunately, I can’t spend 1k+ on a chair.

Do I just scan craigslist and hope to find a major brand chair at a discount?

Are there even decent chairs at that budget level?

I’m in a major metro area.

E: steel case leap seems within the realm of possibility?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 17, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Budget is $400 max.

Leap v2 is very possible for under $400 used in metro areas. Closer to 300 if you look around.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

Budget is $400 max.

I found a used Aeron for $200, and see them regularly for ~$300. That's in the bay area though where failed start ups create a lot of supply... Not sure if it's quite as cheap in other metros.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

How did y’all find them? Craigslist? eBay? Refurb websites?

Or is there an actual office supply second hand store?

I’m gonna get a good headrest too. That’s awesome. The leap lounge setup seems rad.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 18, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

How did y’all find them? Craigslist? eBay? Refurb websites?

Or is there an actual office supply second hand store?

I’m gonna get a good headrest too. That’s awesome. The leap lounge setup seems rad.

I got my Leap V2 from a business furniture liquidator by way of Craigslist. When I showed up, it was just this gigantic warehouse filled with chairs, cubicle parts, cabinets and shelving.

I just sat in as many Leaps I could to make sure all the parts and knobs were good and walked out with my purchase after 30 minutes.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I got my Leap V2 from a business furniture liquidator by way of Craigslist. When I showed up, it was just this gigantic warehouse filled with chairs, cubicle parts, cabinets and shelving.

I just sat in as many Leaps I could to make sure all the parts and knobs were good and walked out with my purchase after 30 minutes.

That rules, thanks! I think I’ve found a couple legit Craigslist hits. We are gonna save a few hundred bucks amigos.

Also, are sites like seatingmind and madisonseating legit?

Reddit seems wary of them and the sites do seem too good to be true. But I saw a goon reference seatingmind earlier in the thread.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/seatingmind.com

E: heck, we might get a standing desk too. Those are Jarvis/Uplift standing desks are less expensive than I was expecting.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
These things go on sale all the time

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Tried a leap v1 today. Can’t tell if 1. it’s uncomfortable or 2. if I’m not used to sitting ergonomically. Feels weird in my lower back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DoctorTristan posted:

I use the forward tilt from time to time - if you ever find yourself leaning forward to look at the screen/ something on the desk then that’s a time when you might use it. I mainly use the adjustable tilt as a thing to fidget with while avoiding a task I’d rather not do. Reclining to full tilt is great for a short 5 minute nap.

How about the lumbar support? How important did it end up being?

E: gently caress it, I'll get the lumbar support. We might be WFH for the long haul.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 3, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Trip report: been using a used leap v1 for two weeks. Seems better than bottom tier office chairs I’ve used before, but still have lower back pain. And it’s not super comfy or anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Protip: https://seatingmind.com/ is a pretty good place to online-order chairs you've already tried out.

Uh, actually, don't buy from there. The reviews I'm reading about it are very negative. Skip.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 5, 2020

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Protip: https://seatingmind.com/ is a pretty good place to online-order chairs you've already tried out.

It seems like a lovely scam company, similar to in the whatever Madison company.

Glad to hear seatingmind is a good company.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I feel like a broken record, but I am going on 2 years with this thing. 40-50 hours a week. Still feels brand new and great.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-silver-53293/product_24328579

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Trip report: been using a used leap v1 for two weeks. Seems better than bottom tier office chairs I’ve used before, but still have lower back pain. And it’s not super comfy or anything.

FWIW, I bought a used leap v1 off madisonseating and was really unhappy with it for maybe...a month? Like, get rid of it and try something else unhappy. Constantly tried to dial in all the settings to find something that works for me. I don't know what happened, but I just put up with it for a while and either got used to it or I remolded something because it's been much more comfortable for me. Still squeaky as poo poo getting in and out of it though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It seems like a lovely scam company, similar to in the whatever Madison company.

Glad to hear seatingmind is a good company.

At least three UPDATE: zero people I know of have chairs from there :shrug:

(so don't get anything from there)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 5, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just out of curiosity.. does anyone make leather gaming chairs or maybe alcantara chairs? Both are somewhat common in cars.

Or is it always about the price and since hardcore pc gamers are usually not that rich, no one makes chairs from quality materials?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Gaming chairs are more marketing than quality, they're being sold to an audience that doesn't know what to look for. Price and aesthetic ends up the primary factors as a result.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, so it basically boils down to: buy a real chair.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
yes. buy a real chair. don't buy a gaming chair

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Wait what. Gamer nerds drop thousands of dollars on audiophile grade equipment that’s totally unnecessary. I’m sure there’s a real market to be had for crazy artisanal leather gaming chairs :thunk:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
lol yea that statement tripped me up too. hardcore PC gamers may not rich per se, but they definitely spend tons of money on stupid poo poo e.g.: gaming chairs

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kloa posted:

Wait what. Gamer nerds drop thousands of dollars on audiophile grade equipment that’s totally unnecessary. I’m sure there’s a real market to be had for crazy artisanal leather gaming chairs :thunk:

Oh, the chairs are already leather. It's PU leather and worthless, but gamers don't know the difference so the manufacturers can charge as if it's genuine and pocket the difference.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

isndl posted:

Oh, the chairs are already leather. It's PU leather and worthless, but gamers don't know the difference so the manufacturers can charge as if it's genuine and pocket the difference.

Even the sub £100($130) 'Executive' chairs on Amazon and the like are like this. It's crazy how many cheap lovely PU leather chairs are out there. They all start peeling within 12-24 months.

Get yourself down to IKEA and buy a fabric chair with all the bells and whistles you think you will need. At least in the UK they come with 10 year guarantees. You get the fabric one so it'll last long enough that you won't be disappointed when after 2 years they tell you the PU one disintegrating under your arse sweat is normal wear and tear.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I had an office chair for many years. I reupholstered it at least twice, maybe 3 times? Finally I realized to order it to be made from as durable cloth as possible. Then it has been fine. I changed it to a 20€ Kinnarps one which was an old chair from Nokia's closed offices.

I'd like to have a chair with more adjustable back and taller armrests. I'm 200cm so maybe the Herman Miller Aeron in size C with all the bells and whistles would be good. It's just that most of the time my room temp is around 20c or under. It's warmer only like 2-3 months of the year usually. So I like warm, padded chairs more than well ventilated chairs. I can do something else than sit on a computer during the somewhat short summer in Finland.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I think the refurbished Leap V1 bought used some cheap fabric. It feels scratchy so I put a t-shirt over the back of the chair but recently the seat fabric tore. I work at a dealership and we have a vendor that we use for upholstery repair. I should ask them about re-upholstering the chair. Maybe they have some scraps of some cool fabric to use on it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna have to rescind this recommendation. Turns out neither of the people I talked to actually got chairs from there, one of them only heard a couple positives from the place and passed it onto the other, and said other hasn't received his yet.

I'd hold off on using that place. I'm also canceling my order from the place...I'm kinda suspicious of it now.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pollyanna posted:

How about the lumbar support? How important did it end up being?

E: gently caress it, I'll get the lumbar support. We might be WFH for the long haul.

Wasn’t expecting an urgent follow up question to a post of mine from September...

I found the lumbar support useful, mostly as it lets you alter the shape of the seat back to suit. Though as you’ve already ordered it I guess this advice comes a bit late!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

kloa posted:

Steelcase or Herman Miller could probably make a Twitch-approved gamer chair that's like a redesigned Leap or Embody but double the price with garish colors, but guessing it would only be a fraction of what they would earn compared to the companies buying their chairs in the hundreds or thousands.

On a related note, will also see if I can score said chair in the aftermarket now that WFH is more widespread and other companies are closing up shop.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 6, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Finding a chair is overwhelming, from both an options and price standpoint.

I'm a 300lb goon who is working from home and is using my chair for 12+ hours a day. My computer serves as both work and entertainment (I don't have a TV or couch or anything like that). I'm looking to get a proper chair because a succession of $80-$150 chairs off Amazon have left me with back pain.

Besides the weight, I am looking for something that does not encourage me to lean back. Most chairs I've encountered have lovely back support, such that I was often wheeling them against a wall to give myself a stiff enough back. When I'm working or gaming I like to be sitting up and attentive. The only time I'd want to recline is when I'm watching Netflix or some other kind of passive entertainment.

Currently I'm looking at an HM Aeron (Type C) or a Steelcase Gesture. Based on goon experience, will either of these suit me? Is there something else I should be considering?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone sat in a Please V2? Thinking of blind buying one for £200, my Leap is getting uncomfortable and the back isn't high enough.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Warmachine posted:

Finding a chair is overwhelming, from both an options and price standpoint.

I'm a 300lb goon who is working from home and is using my chair for 12+ hours a day. My computer serves as both work and entertainment (I don't have a TV or couch or anything like that). I'm looking to get a proper chair because a succession of $80-$150 chairs off Amazon have left me with back pain.

Besides the weight, I am looking for something that does not encourage me to lean back. Most chairs I've encountered have lovely back support, such that I was often wheeling them against a wall to give myself a stiff enough back. When I'm working or gaming I like to be sitting up and attentive. The only time I'd want to recline is when I'm watching Netflix or some other kind of passive entertainment.

Currently I'm looking at an HM Aeron (Type C) or a Steelcase Gesture. Based on goon experience, will either of these suit me? Is there something else I should be considering?

How tall are you? I think the Gesture will probably be too small, iirc it's about the size of/a bit smaller than an Aeron size B. I think the size C should be pretty good, and I think is probably the best option going.

I'd also look at the SecretLab Titan if you try a size C and it ends up being too small or otherwise not working. I've only had one for a little while, but it seems alright so far and would be a good fit size-wise. It's about the same price as a used size C, at least around here. I think if the Aeron fits I would get that, as it discourages reclining more, is more comfortable for very long sitting sessions, has a longer warranty, and generally has better build quality.

Purely anecdotally, I do personally prefer the Titan but that's in large part because the size C is a bit too short and my specific chair has started to fall apart some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Read through some of the advice in the thread and have been searching around. I came across a used office furniture store selling a Steelcase Vecta Nesting Chair for $75 CAD ($55 USD). Knowing the general recommendations on Steelcase, it looks like this one is technically a conference chair designed for boardrooms and meeting rooms (it folds up which is nice).

Given my budget is really max $200 or so, is this a good deal?

Note this is for an office/gaming chair in my house. Though right now I may be spending more time on it because of WFH, generally however this would be just for evenings and weekends when I'm gaming or on the computer.