Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Personal Muse posted:

I explained it already, you overreacted to the joke votes.

oh yeah. i remember now.

your case is that "a bunch" cannot possibly mean two people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Sorry was I being unclear?

I am not confused by what you are saying, I am pointing out that you are ping pinging between joking and not joking to avoid making actual firm stances you can be held accountable to in the future.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Amnistar posted:

Sorry was I being unclear?

I am not confused by what you are saying, I am pointing out that you are ping pinging between joking and not joking to avoid making actual firm stances you can be held accountable to in the future.

What stances would you like me to clarify so that I may properly be held accountable?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

oh yeah. i remember now.

your case is that "a bunch" cannot possibly mean two people

You know, I looked back at that post, I don’t think I actually said that my case was only that you incorrectly used the phrase “a bunch”

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

You know, I looked back at that post, I don’t think I actually said that my case was only that you incorrectly used the phrase “a bunch”

A fun fact: if you had said “two people” instead of “a bunch”, my case would be the same, if not stronger. You still took the time to defuse two joke votes.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Yeesh I totally forgot I was playing.

If you're scum, please raise your hand

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A fun fact: if you had said “two people” instead of “a bunch”, my case would be the same, if not stronger. You still took the time to defuse two joke votes.

drat, try making your case without being an rear end in a top hat about it

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

drat, try making your case without being an rear end in a top hat about it

I’m not sure how I was an rear end in a top hat, I was refuting your straw man argument. If I insulted you without realizing it, I’m sorry, truly, I don’t want mafia to become unpleasant and I would appreciate if you pointed out what I did to attack you that was unwarranted so I can rectify it in the future.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m not sure how I was an rear end in a top hat, I was refuting your straw man argument. If I insulted you without realizing it, I’m sorry, truly, I don’t want mafia to become unpleasant and I would appreciate if you pointed out what I did to attack you that was unwarranted so I can rectify it in the future.

i thought you were doing it on purpose, so im sorry for jumping the gun. i didnt feel personally insulted, just talked down to.

like, the "fun fact" and "actually, i reread my post and i don't think i said that" came off as unnecessary ways to say "i disagree with that take". like, did you actually go reread your own post before writing that, and then come to the newfound conclusion that your case was not exactly what i said...?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt mean to present it as a strawman, nor fool anyone into thinking that was the sum total of your case.

i meant that's how i saw your case.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Mr. Steak posted:

i thought you were doing it on purpose, so im sorry for jumping the gun. i didnt feel personally insulted, just talked down to.

like, the "fun fact" and "actually, i reread my post and i don't think i said that" came off as unnecessary ways to say "i disagree with that take". like, did you actually go reread your own post before writing that, and then come to the newfound conclusion that your case was not exactly what i said...?

I did do it on purpose to try and point out that you were misrepresenting my case. I don’t think I have to be constrained to just saying I disagree with you, especially when it looks like you are intentionally and in bad faith distorting my case.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess now i understand your case as being that i engaged seriously with votes you saw as jokes.

well, i suppose my counterargument for the case is this, then:

not every vote made during jokephase is a joke, even when couched as such.

also, at the risk of veering into self-meta territory... even if i did respond with an inappropriate level of defensiveness to an early set of jokevotes, do you legit think that's scummy behavior? i mean, im not gonna get into how i behave and think as scum cuz im trying to steer clear of those sorts of arguments, but even in an overarching general sense, i think scum players would be way less inclined to engage seriously with anything during jokephase, let alone lend credence to votes on themselves and opening up more conversation about those votes, as opposed to.... literally directing attention anywhere else

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drop the "bunch" bit it's dumb as hell gang

everyone who's anyone knows that scum aren't going to divine out bad takes and pushes out of the aether day one, that backfires too much. all these bad cases are town

the real scum is etr

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gamerofthegame posted:

everyone who's anyone knows that scum aren't going to divine out bad takes and pushes out of the aether day one, that backfires too much. all these bad cases are town

the real scum is etr

How do you know which takes are bad, Gamer?

Please list out for me exactly why you disagree with every case made up till now

And why you aren't even voting for "the real scum"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
ETR taking less than a real-world day to "totally forget" that he's in this game is pretty weird, but I'm not sure it's scummy weird.

I do think at this point scum are mostly gonna be found in the people that are lurking right now. Out of everything that's actually been posted, I already said it but I think AA's "me too"ing of Bif's weak case is the most suspect thus far. So ##vote AA

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dragonatrix posted:

ETR taking less than a real-world day to "totally forget" that he's in this game is pretty weird, but I'm not sure it's scummy weird.

I do think at this point scum are mostly gonna be found in the people that are lurking right now. Out of everything that's actually been posted, I already said it but I think AA's "me too"ing of Bif's weak case is the most suspect thus far. So ##vote AA

So you think the people who have engaged enough to make any cases are town, but you don't think any of these townies could be correct yet?

I'll pose a similar question to you as I did to Gamer: why do you disagree with every other case made in the game so far?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

So you think the people who have engaged enough to make any cases are town, but you don't think any of these townies could be correct yet?

I'll pose a similar question to you as I did to Gamer: why do you disagree with every other case made in the game so far?

It's more that I think they're Town because I don't think they're right, if that makes sense.

I disagree with the cases themselves, because just substantiated on relatively flimsy things. More like they're just the result of grasping at the first thing that stands out and just going from there.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dragonatrix posted:

It's more that I think they're Town because I don't think they're right, if that makes sense.

Unless you believe scumbos do nothing but hard bus, no it does not

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

But quips side, you've skimmed over the meat of my question, Dragonatrix. Have you actually considered any of the cases presented before you, by people you claim to believe are honest townies?

Can you humor me and individually explain your reasons for rejecting each one before arriving at your superior case on AA?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

Unless you believe scumbos do nothing but hard bus, no it does not

Okay; I disagree with the cases because of how weak they are. I don't see scum making cases like that and then doubling down on them. All that would do is draw unnecessary attention in the long-term. Therefore the only reasonable conclusion I can make is that they're from a Town perspective.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay; I disagree with the cases because of how weak they are. I don't see scum making cases like that and then doubling down on them. All that would do is draw unnecessary attention in the long-term. Therefore the only reasonable conclusion I can make is that they're from a Town perspective.

Yeah for someone I haven't seen in too many games, you sure seem to have some ridiculous lofty standards for D1 cases if you think my extensive campaigning for Hum was

Dragonatrix posted:

so weak that I can't see someone putting it forth at all if they're scum.

Dragonatrix posted:

not even remotely convincing and it's more like just trying to grasp at anything for a serious case.

Dragonatrix posted:

Bif's non-case for Hum.

Wow. If all my blabbering all this time was not just bad and misguided but also not even a case, a non-case, man I got bad news for you regarding the state of the rest of the game, mate. Including your own AA case based solely on "this person agreed with someone else's case"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dammit I was trying to hold this back to stay focused on the prize here and not get people distracted from getting Hum lunched, but goddamn that is a lot of shade from Dragonatrix. It's ok to disagree with my case, but to go that far to discredit the first really serious case made on bloody D1 is unnaturally extreme.

Look at this post again:

Dragonatrix posted:

Bif's argument is so weak that I can't see someone putting it forth at all if they're scum. It's not even remotely convincing and it's more like just trying to grasp at anything for a serious case.

Can't blame her for that either; the game has been moving fairly slowly thus far.

Dragonatrix is throwing tons of shade at my case, but couching it in lots of reassurance that I'm town for doing it. No reason to get alarmed and lash back about it! Just let it drop and give it up, please!

If I'm right about Hum, this is a gigantic red flag.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

But quips side, you've skimmed over the meat of my question, Dragonatrix. Have you actually considered any of the cases presented before you, by people you claim to believe are honest townies?

Can you humor me and individually explain your reasons for rejecting each one before arriving at your superior case on AA?

Sure; there's only two real cases so far so that's not a problem in the slightest. Yours on Hum and YPM's on Steak.

Your case on Hum is based on him not using his action at all and then using it on you when called out about it. His reasoning of "what if it's a wasted dayvig" is silly, but silly is not scummy. That he used it in the same post as he floated that weird hypothetical is more defensive there, which you did eventually mention calling it an OMGUS. And to that end, as often as it gets bandied about, I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual, genuine OMGUS.

YPM's case on Steak that he reacted badly to being voted for makes less sense to me, though. Like, yeah, Steak reacted weirdly to that but I think I'd be more suspicious if he didn't. It's suspicious that he said "a bunch" because it's an exaggeration, but if he said "two" it'd still be suspicious because he posted at all? I'm just really not seeing it. That it also became an actual slapfight for a bit is probably not helping, admittedly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

If you're right about Hum, then I will gladly admit to being wrong.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

What stances would you like me to clarify so that I may properly be held accountable?

You have now, since pressure has been applied, taken a firmer stance that is accountable, but that does not change the fact that you behaved the way you did.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i think its bif dragon and amni namaste

##vote bif

Bifauxnen posted:

Dammit I was trying to hold this back to stay focused on the prize here and not get people distracted from getting Hum lunched, but goddamn that is a lot of shade from Dragonatrix. It's ok to disagree with my case, but to go that far to discredit the first really serious case made on bloody D1 is unnaturally extreme.

Look at this post again:

Dragonatrix is throwing tons of shade at my case, but couching it in lots of reassurance that I'm town for doing it. No reason to get alarmed and lash back about it! Just let it drop and give it up, please!

This is designed to appear like real conflict between town. But it reads like light scum bussing to me. On day one this is a 'real' case on dragon but bif doesn't suggest to vote dragon, instead asking to vote hum first. If bif was town she would assume that dragon knew bif and hum's alignment and was just buddying up. Instead she's distancing herself while pushing another person.

Dragon isn't reacting emotionally, and is instead posting a lot in a discussion with no real fear of being lunched or case furthered by bif. This is scum banter prob.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

##vote bif

This is designed to appear like real conflict between town. But it reads like light scum bussing to me. On day one this is a 'real' case on dragon but bif doesn't suggest to vote dragon, instead asking to vote hum first. If bif was town she would assume that dragon knew bif and hum's alignment and was just buddying up. Instead she's distancing herself while pushing another person.

Dragon isn't reacting emotionally, and is instead posting a lot in a discussion with no real fear of being lunched or case furthered by bif. This is scum banter prob.

And I'm on the list because...?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

##vote bif

Lol what

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Amnistar posted:

And I'm on the list because...?

its obvious

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

its obvious

please spell it out for the class then. Saying "it's obvious" is a cop-out that leaves significant wiggle room in the future for defending your stance when I flip town.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

@Bif on Dragon: dragon is reading to me like a newbie townie defending his reads, I don’t think he’s casting too much shade on Bif’s case, cuz Bif’s case is weak to me too. Think these two are town again.

That post by Toal is weak as hell though, calling out Amni with no support and then building a pretty weak case on Bif who is probably my strongest town read so far?

vote Toal

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##vote Toal

lol whoops

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Amnistar posted:

please spell it out for the class then. Saying "it's obvious" is a cop-out that leaves significant wiggle room in the future for defending your stance when I flip town.

I think that it is also obvious that my main case is against bif and dragon. I don't think I need to explain myself further. I think it's weird how defensive you appear to be, also.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

@Bif on Dragon: dragon is reading to me like a newbie townie defending his reads, I don’t think he’s casting too much shade on Bif’s case, cuz Bif’s case is weak to me too. Think these two are town again.

That post by Toal is weak as hell though, calling out Amni with no support and then building a pretty weak case on Bif who is probably my strongest town read so far?

vote Toal

Sandwolf, you are also bad at this game and reading people. So.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

I think that it is also obvious that my main case is against bif and dragon. I don't think I need to explain myself further. I think it's weird how defensive you appear to be, also.

I mean, you haven't mentioned me once the entire game, and hten throw me in a list of scum, but now can't actually explain why you think I'm scum?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toalpaz posted:

Sandwolf, you are also bad at this game and reading people. So.

sigh, thanks, true enough

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Amnistar posted:

I mean, you haven't mentioned me once the entire game, and hten throw me in a list of scum, but now can't actually explain why you think I'm scum?

They don’t have a reason, just Toal being Toal. If you didn’t ask about it then later on “Amni didn’t seem to care, seems scummy” now that you asked about it “why so defensive, bro??”

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I like the AA vote, tbh. His +1 is weak as hell especially after he acknowledged that he has zero real content in this game. Sure it’s day 1, but Bif killed joke phase pretty decisively. Time to play.

##vote AA

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Votecount for Day 1

Anomalous Amalgam (2): Dragonatrix, Mr. Humalong
Mr. Humalong (2): Bifauxnen, Anomalous Amalgam
Your Personal Muse (2): Gamerofthegame, Amnistar
Bifauxnen (2): flerp, Toalpaz
flerp (1): b-minus1
Dragonatrix (1): Mr. Steak
Mr. Steak (1): Mr. Humalong, Your Personal Muse, Amnistar, Amnistar, Mr. Humalong
Toalpaz (1): Sandwolf
Gamerofthegame (0): Your Personal Muse, Your Personal Muse, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
b-minus1 (0): Amnistar, Amnistar

Not Voting (5): Dancer, Eat The Rich, merk, SolusLunes, spacing in vienna

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 05th, 2020 at 4 a.m. CEST -- that's in about 9 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Also suspicious of Dancer, merk, and flerp