Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's absolutely not a game I would recommend at full price, either. Still, once it drops, which I think will be fairly quickly given the reception so far, it is a decently entertaining action romp that you just shouldn't expect to be too thoughtful. It's a lot like what RE6's Leon Campaign would've felt like if it had been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

What happened to the helicopter at the start of RE3? I never saw anything hit it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The helicopter sensed Leon approaching Raccoon City and just exploded itself so it wouldn't have to suffer even more down the line.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Besides the Jet Ski has Leon ever used a vehicle that he didn't wreck?

i guess to be safe we should assume he crashes everything off-screen anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Doesn't he arrive at the start of RE2 in a jeep? Whatever happened to that jeep?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Doesn't he arrive at the start of RE2 in a jeep? Whatever happened to that jeep?

It's still at the gas station.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

There’s also some of that dynamic difficulty at work on hardcore. I reloaded a checkpoint a couple of times before a couple of crates and the contents varied between healing and ammo depending on my health.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Seedge posted:

What happened to the helicopter at the start of RE3? I never saw anything hit it.

nemesis threw something at it, probably a chunk of jill's apartment building

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lunethex posted:

Besides the Jet Ski has Leon ever used a vehicle that he didn't wreck?

i guess to be safe we should assume he crashes everything off-screen anyway.
He didn't break the cop car at the beginning of RE4. It still got broken, but it wasn't him.

Come to think of it, the little motor boat you cross the Del Lago lake with also survives. Real trooper, that little feller

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So anyways I've been on a bit of a Resident Evil hype lately because I've been trying to convince myself not to spend full price on RE3make. The most recent Capcom bundle had the Revelations games in them that I previously skipped. I tried out Revelations 1 before and beat the first episode, but that game was extremely basic. Which is really confusing because if you go online and try to find peoples opinions about Revelations 1 vs Revelations 2, a lot of people say 1 is the better game. Now maybe 1 gets better later but 2 is just so much better right off the bat. R1 felt like a handheld game but R2 feels like some sort of mashup between RE5 and RE6. I highly recommend checking out Revelations 2 for yourselves.

But what really got to post was suddenly remembering about A.I. upscaling and how it makes games with pre-rendered backgrounds look fantastic. Then remembering that RE2 has pre-rendered backgrounds. Enter: The Resident Evil 2 Seamless HD Project. Now your Resident Evil 2 game can look like your memories of it! Plus its the Gamecube version so you don't have those weird PSX warping textures

LOOK HOW GOOD THIS LOOKS

So yeah now I'm down the rabbit hole of playing the original RE2 again. Its still fun ya'll

At the moment I plan on playing through this, original RE3 with hopefully a similar mod, and then RE2Make again as Claire before I can justify spending money on RE3make. gently caress my backlog.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 4, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dang, now I really want a tall glass of Cool Soda.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's kind of hilarious to see how obviously the sign is a knock-off of the Coca Cola logo. I don't think you could get away with that kind of thing today.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh thank god, thanks- I could see dodge working for anything that's not a grab, but holy poo poo that timing is tight.
I'm not sure it's actually optimal, but I do like to weave and then dodge right when I start moving away from the zombie to get outside the range where they might lunge faster.

Crowetron posted:

The best Jill line is "Bitch can't even swim."
Jill don't want no scrub.

Cardiovorax posted:

RE3make is pretty visibly built around the idea that you will try to fight and kill everything you encounter, so you get a ton more ammo than you could possibly need if you try to play the game like it's RE2make.
Yeah, that's a major difference between RE2 and RE3. In RE2 you're incentivized to consider whether it's really worth it to kill an enemy, while RE3 just wants you to kill them all. For the zombies it seems down to enemy placement and area layouts, while for the bigger monsters it's their abilities and behavior. Like, a licker that has noticed you might be more dangerous than a hunter, but with a hunter there's much less of a choice in whether you're gonna fight or not. And then there's gammas vs. G's - I haven't tried dodging the former, but the difference in penalty for failing a dodge is like night an day.

Lunethex posted:

The one word I'd used to define the RE3make experience is just 'middling'. There's a lot of empty air, lots of unseized potential and opportunity. It just feels like a lot was squandered. I mean it looks good, it's fine to play, and at times it's definitely fun, but it's just... lacking. It's worth playing at least once or twice if you're into RE, but it's way too short and way too tightly constrained and paced. It has this way of setting a lot of expectations then, moments later, having an identity crisis and leaving one feeling led on.
I feel like there are moments where it's actually stronger than the RE2 remake - but, and this is an important but - it's generally so fleeting that you can easily miss it. The game seems to lack confidence in itself, pushing the player through it at a breakneck pace rather than let them occasionally take the time to soak in the atmosphere. Like, the atmosphere on the roof with the early helicopter crash is actually pretty great, this blue-grey dusk to contrast with the fiery city below, but it's over so fast that you easily miss it. If there had been a longer Nemesis-less segment leading up to that, where it's just you and Brad trying to rescue people and getting a few survivors to tag along, then that scene would've been a perfect time to let the player breathe. Have Jill supporting a limping survivor as they move across the roof top, naturally slowing down the player and giving them a chance to soak in this very different color palette - right before Nemesis drags her back into the chaos of the city. Then have Carlos help get most of those survivors to safety in the subway, adding some small connection to the civilians Nemesis kills.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hunter Gammas are less annoying than G Mutants in a way, because you are plain buried in flame grenade rounds and on Standard, a single shot on an opened maw is enough to take the Gamma out completely. A lot of people hate them, but compared to how utterly, utterly annoying the Hunters in the hospital section can be, it's really a minor thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Hunter Betas in the hospital are annoying as gently caress. I even found out that they can instantly kill you if they want to even if you are at full health.

That being said, both of Carlo's sections are easily the best part of the game for me because the atmosphere in these sections feel the most similar to the remake.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I had fun playing this but I'm glad I got it discounted from GMG. They definitely shouldn't have cut the clock tower, there needed to be more meat for Jill in the middle part of the game. You play as Carlos, go back to Jill for an immediate boss fight, and then it's back to Carlos again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

but, and this is an important but - it's generally so fleeting that you can easily miss it. The game seems to lack confidence in itself, pushing the player through it at a breakneck pace rather than let them occasionally take the time to soak in the atmosphere.

Putting it better than I did tbh. This is part of what I feel playing the game. Having goofy puzzles that are aesthetically satisfying to solve helps break up the tension and the action. Way too much got cut from the game, and they start you off basically halfway into the original with very little buildup. Nemesis blows his load extremely early on and then he just kind of exists as Birkin 6.0 rather than a fearsome predator who had a much better evolution through the original as he kept taking more and more damage in the hunt.

What really sucks is that Carlos never gets a chance to take on Nemesis either. And with the loss of the choice system (and the subtle changing of the game) you don't get to see him save Jill super badass-like by blowing up his rocket launcher and sending the fucker careening halfway across a yard.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 4, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

If there is one thing story wise that I think is unequivocally better than the original, it is Carlo's character. Like the original Carlos is like a caricature in comparison. The effort he puts into helping people and Jill is cool.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

blackguy32 posted:

If there is one thing story wise that I think is unequivocally better than the original, it is Carlo's character. Like the original Carlos is like a caricature in comparison. The effort he puts into helping people and Jill is cool.

To be honest I think this is something the remakes have done really well with nearly all the friendly characters. Kendo, Marvin, Brad and Carlos are probably the most notable examples.

Hell RE2R turned Kendo from a creep with a hilarious demise into a heart wrenching gut punch.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Game absolutely fucken rips. Carlos is my boyfriend. Nemesis is cool. He can land some hits that can feel a little cheap, though. Assisted is TOO easy. Looking forward to playing through on normal. Kinda miffed about that, assisted on RE2R was perfectly balanced for me. Not understanding the complaints here, but I'm also a freak that plays linear single player games 8000 times so :shobon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In a way, I agree that it makes Carlos feel less like a caricature, but on the other hand, I don't think that it's necessarily an improvement. I mean, could you really say anything remarkable about Carlos' personality in this game, something that really sticks out about him? Compared to how much you remember about him from the original?

Carlos is a very generic soldier mans now, and even if it comes across as more believable, it also makes him much more forgettable.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

I think my most egregious problem with the Remake is the position of the "You want Stars?" line from Jill. It's not where it's meant to be!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does "Got a lot right" mean to you? Because the R3make your sources ended up describing didn't seem much closer to the reality than my posts about my dream RE3. I'm happy you're getting pumped though, even if your level of hype basically inoculates me against getting swept up in the hypetrain. :v:

things change, they mentioned it, the first area in re3 was meant to be more open and the later linear, he still got alot right tho but dev changes happen all the time and outdated info that was once true can come back and bite you in the rear end when its no longer the case. he knew about the game way before any psn leaks, he had a picture of jill on the train since mid last year. they know alot about old dev builds of stuff and from what i figured out they know some dude who works at capcom, maybe in div1 and the capcom dude dripfeeds them stuff. plus some times other leaks happen from other sources that match up, like the ambassador test that leaked for this re8 stuff. always take this poo poo with grain of salt of course.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 4, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So anyways I've been on a bit of a Resident Evil hype lately because I've been trying to convince myself not to spend full price on RE3make. The most recent Capcom bundle had the Revelations games in them that I previously skipped. I tried out Revelations 1 before and beat the first episode, but that game was extremely basic. Which is really confusing because if you go online and try to find peoples opinions about Revelations 1 vs Revelations 2, a lot of people say 1 is the better game. Now maybe 1 gets better later but 2 is just so much better right off the bat. R1 felt like a handheld game but R2 feels like some sort of mashup between RE5 and RE6. I highly recommend checking out Revelations 2 for yourselves.

But what really got to post was suddenly remembering about A.I. upscaling and how it makes games with pre-rendered backgrounds look fantastic. Then remembering that RE2 has pre-rendered backgrounds. Enter: The Resident Evil 2 Seamless HD Project. Now your Resident Evil 2 game can look like your memories of it! Plus its the Gamecube version so you don't have those weird PSX warping textures

LOOK HOW GOOD THIS LOOKS

So yeah now I'm down the rabbit hole of playing the original RE2 again. Its still fun ya'll

At the moment I plan on playing through this, original RE3 with hopefully a similar mod, and then RE2Make again as Claire before I can justify spending money on RE3make. gently caress my backlog.

the re3 mod one looks incredible too. the screens dont do it justice, you gotta play it. so good. weapon and ammo pickups look like they are part of the scenery, its that good. they are working on a re1 (og) one too. theres kinda one for the remake1, but that mostly just gets rid of compression, still looks good tho. find it hilarious that re0 is the only one that capcom kept the background assets for so noone needs to mod it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cardiovorax posted:

In a way, I agree that it makes Carlos feel less like a caricature, but on the other hand, I don't think that it's necessarily an improvement. I mean, could you really say anything remarkable about Carlos' personality in this game, something that really sticks out about him? Compared to how much you remember about him from the original?

Carlos is a very generic soldier mans now, and even if it comes across as more believable, it also makes him much more forgettable.

All I remember about Carlos from the original is that all the foxy ladies (allegedly) love his accent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To be honest I think this is something the remakes have done really well with nearly all the friendly characters. Kendo, Marvin, Brad and Carlos are probably the most notable examples.

Hell RE2R turned Kendo from a creep with a hilarious demise into a heart wrenching gut punch.
My favorite detail about Marvin is how he takes a very different tone when he's talking to rookie police officer Leon vs. civilian Claire in their respective A routes. Its a nice little bit of characterization for him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1246427756637720576

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The Hunter Betas in the hospital are annoying as gently caress. I even found out that they can instantly kill you if they want to even if you are at full health.

That being said, both of Carlo's sections are easily the best part of the game for me because the atmosphere in these sections feel the most similar to the remake.

How are you supposed to kill the Hunters? Just shooting them ate up a ton of ammo so I resorted to grenading most of them.

Also, can the kill X amount of enemies achievements be completed on Assisted difficulty? If so I might just do an assisted run to make kill farming easier.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MH Knights posted:

How are you supposed to kill the Hunters? Just shooting them ate up a ton of ammo so I resorted to grenading most of them.

Yeah I just mostly chucked grenades at them. Punching them in the face is also fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MH Knights posted:

Also, can the kill X amount of enemies achievements be completed on Assisted difficulty? If so I might just do an assisted run to make kill farming easier.

Just use grenades. Jill has a much easier time of killing them with her weapons and Carlos doesn't fight too many. They are definitely one of the most irritating enemies in the game outside of the tentacle zombies.

Cardiovorax posted:

To me, he is definitely a much more compassionate person in the remake than he was in the original. The way he sticks his neck out for Jill is commendable. Also the comments he makes about random stuff is hilarious. He is what most people would tend to think in those situations, like the comment about the RPD lock.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

All I remember about Carlos from the original is that all the foxy ladies (allegedly) love his accent.
That's genuinely still more than I remember about from this game, and I played through it barely twelve hours ago. He just comes across as the type of character who could be a space marine protagonist in any number of random shooters without sticking out even a little.

Well, I'm going to harp on about it. I just think it's a shame that they went to some effort (if not a great one) to make him more visually distinctive while homogenizing his personality to the point that I really don't find anything memorable left in it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I'm going to harp on about it.

can’t wait

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The one thing I'm really confused about is taking out the "Jill goes back to the police station" part. You don't get to see Brad get hosed up by Nemesis, they could have kept the "run in and get your card later or grab it off his corpse" part without making it a pause choice if they really wanted to get rid of those entirely, could have gotten some commentary from Jill returning to her old workplace and seeing colleagues in dire straights and then the part where Nemesis jumps through the window with the rocket launcher and you have to book it is probably the most iconic part of the original to me. Carlos going there was good still but felt like it was missing something, when I went to the door in the STARs office I really thought Nemesis was going to appear and I'd have to go back through the whole place but nah, just kind of ended.

My ideal remake would have been basically what we got, with a little bit more in the city before going up on the roof and meeting Carlos and maybe one more location to go to for the initial subway thing, the restaurant or newspaper or whatever. Nothing huge but a little multi room vignette with one of the other enemy types from the Ghost Survivors dlc maybe. Then either expand the clock tower back into a full area with at least one puzzle and the objective of using the helicopter or put the park back in.

Also keep Mercenaries, though I suspect the reason they got rid of it is that there's not that much room in the game area they did make, in the original you're running from the cable car all the way to the warehouse at the start of the game and there are 6 optional locations you can go to with civilians to rescue for bonus points. Whereas in this it'd have to be a survivor in the various shops and subway control room and you start at the substation?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 4, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Carlos' whole RPD section does just kind of feel like RE2 Remake fanservice more than anything that actually serves the story of RE3 Remake tbh.

His crack about the themed doors being weird does kind of stick out too when this game is so lacking in puzzles and such.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So does Nemesis hunt you around the game like Tyrant does in REmake 2?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

no

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

...what the gently caress? If there was literally any character in all of gaming who should have done that, it should have been Nemesis!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Carlos' whole RPD section does just kind of feel like RE2 Remake fanservice more than anything that actually serves the story of RE3 Remake tbh.

His crack about the themed doors being weird does kind of stick out too when this game is so lacking in puzzles and such.
There's really not much reason why Carlos had to be the one to do it, either. It doesn't really add anything, you're completely right that things like watching Ceiling Cop Guy get hung up does feel like nothing more than fan service.

RE2make may just be the only Resident Evil game to ever give you two partner sections and it's not clear to me why that is... although given some of the less pleasant chatter on Twitter and such, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom just decided that their fanbase would complain if they forced them actually play as a woman for that long.

punk rebel ecks posted:

...what the gently caress? If there was literally any character in all of gaming who should have done that, it should have been Nemesis!
It's heavily scripted and there are sections where he does follow you around, but because the locations change so much, he just feels less present than Mr. X. There's no big persistent building for him to be a looming and threatening presence in.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's very scripted. There's a bit relatively early in the game where he hunts you down and you have some room to lose him, but the rest of his appearances is just him chasing you through linear corridors.

Cardiovorax posted:

...because the locations change so much, he just feels less present than Mr. X. There's no big persistent building for him to be a looming and threatening presence in.

That too. The game throws you from area to area so often that there's really no time for him to actually stalk you.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Near the start of the game you activate him by doing a thing and then he's active sort of like that for a bit, pretty easy to knock down and then he's out of your hair for awhile, similar things occur a few more times. Not too much further into the game he shifts into being almost entirely scripted, like he'll be firing rockets at you while you run away and you just need to deal with that or similar.