Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Going to call bullshit at that as that fucker has followed me inside and wombo comboed me in the train breaker room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

itry posted:

That too. The game throws you from area to area so often that there's really no time for him to actually stalk you.
I think it really is mostly the presentation. When you get right down to it, the part of RE2make where Mr. X is actually around is pretty short - you can get through in half an hour easily, at most an hour if you're going into it fresh. In terms of pure screen time, I'd say that Nemesis isn't really there any less.

But the way you could always hear Mr.X be there, stomping around, searching for you? The way you could never really get away from him for long and being noisy would only make him find you faster? That was some grade-A horror setup, and Nemesis just kind of fails at evoking that same dread. It's what really makes him lackluster by comparison, not any lack of presence per se.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SirDrone posted:

Going to call bullshit at that as that fucker has followed me inside and wombo comboed me in the train breaker room.

Where you set the route? I was sure he couldn't get in there.

Cardiovorax posted:

But the way you could always hear Mr.X be there, stomping around, searching for you? The way you could never really get away from him for long and being noisy would only make him find you faster? That was some grade-A horror setup, and Nemesis just kind of fails at evoking that same dread. It's what really makes him lackluster by comparison, not any lack of presence per se.

Yeah, hardly any of that with Nemesis. He's just suddenly there. And most of his screen time, as it were, is in his boss arenas.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 4, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kinda weird that they still give you a silencer in this game despite making noise not being a concern in this one

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
X could also spot you in the main hall of RPD even if you were on completely different floors. That poo poo was terrifying because you know he's coming eventually but he actually has to walk all the way there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Augus posted:

kinda weird that they still give you a silencer in this game despite making noise not being a concern in this one
I don't think the silencer actually did anything to make you more silent in RE2make, it was always just recoil reduction. It was sensible of them to rename it to "moderator" just to get rid of that wrong impression.

WaltherFeng posted:

X could also spot you in the main hall of RPD even if you were on completely different floors. That poo poo was terrifying because you know he's coming eventually but he actually has to walk all the way there.
:hmmyes:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Nemesis presence is extremely reduced becuase about half the game is a new segment of him busting onto the scene and then getting blown up. Like after awhile I honestly started finding him sympathetic in his inability to not be on fire.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finished the game myself, and I definitely give it an 8/10. This is mostly because its length and the what-could-have-beens will forever linger upon the game, but I think what we actually got is great. I actually think the game's breakneck pace and length are somewhat of a strength, because then this game becomes one I can pick up every once in a while and blast through it for a good time, and that is the mark of a great, lasting game for me. Nemesis himself is great. The game looks amazing. The characters are great. The game has a lot of loving touches and references to the original too. It doesn't feel like a DLC expansion to me, but I can see why other people feel that way. RE2R had a similar length for a single run, but there were two characters to play and then a remixed second run, padding the game a whole lot.

The original RE3 is my favorite of the classics by a mile, and I think the Remake is an excellent take on it, but not a complete replacement.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

thebardyspoon posted:

Near the start of the game you activate him by doing a thing and then he's active sort of like that for a bit, pretty easy to knock down and then he's out of your hair for awhile, similar things occur a few more times. Not too much further into the game he shifts into being almost entirely scripted, like he'll be firing rockets at you while you run away and you just need to deal with that or similar.

itry posted:

It's very scripted. There's a bit relatively early in the game where he hunts you down and you have some room to lose him, but the rest of his appearances is just him chasing you through linear corridors.
That too. The game throws you from area to area so often that there's really no time for him to actually stalk you.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's heavily scripted and there are sections where he does follow you around, but because the locations change so much, he just feels less present than Mr. X. There's no big persistent building for him to be a looming and threatening presence in.

That sucks rear end. I legitimately may not even buy the game now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think the silencer actually did anything to make you more silent in RE2make, it was always just recoil reduction. It was sensible of them to rename it to "moderator" just to get rid of that wrong impression.

:hmmyes:

A few people tested it and the silencer actually did affect Lickers. As long as you didn’t hit them they wouldn’t aggress from shooting a silenced SMG.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like new Carlos better than old Carlos, who was just kind of a forgettable caricature. The characters and cutscenes in this are very well done.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

A few people tested it and the silencer actually did affect Lickers. As long as you didn’t hit them they wouldn’t aggress from shooting a silenced SMG.
Huh, I tried that and it didn't work for me, but maybe I was moving around too much or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I feel like Nemesis should have been in his normal form longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I feel like Nemesis should have been in his normal form longer.

To be honest what I think is missing from Nemesis is a Form 2.

He goes right from Trenchcoat to Giant Mutant and I think that feel wrong. In the original he loses most of the trenchcoat first and that makes him the same but more intimidating even if it isn't for that long.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

MH Knights posted:

How are you supposed to kill the Hunters? Just shooting them ate up a ton of ammo so I resorted to grenading most of them.

Also, can the kill X amount of enemies achievements be completed on Assisted difficulty? If so I might just do an assisted run to make kill farming easier.

Two to three shotgun blasts at point blank range take them down on hardcore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest what I think is missing from Nemesis is a Form 2.

He goes right from Trenchcoat to Giant Mutant and I think that feel wrong. In the original he loses most of the trenchcoat first and that makes him the same but more intimidating even if it isn't for that long.
Yeah, it kind of feels like something is missing there. You could watch Birkin go from Dude With An Arm to giant fleshmonster in a whole series of steps and it really helped sell the transformation he was going through.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Resistance feels pretty weak. Just kind of a chaotic mess. I doubt I'll bother with it again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Holyshit the re2021 game is re8 and its the witches and werewolves one which was originally revelations 3 but now with more being put in now its re8. I cant wait. This guy is legit btw, got alot right with 7, 2 & 3 remake:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246271327167602688?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272059501502464?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246272897804468225?s=19

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1246273286285037568?s=19

Hahaha yeeeesss!

I'm hype because it's RE but Ethan from what you get in RE7 is like the lamest protagonist ever so I hope they improve him a bit along with making the game a littles less chunky. I'm fine with first person RE but the lack of enemy variety and feedback was so horrible and the combat in general was pretty blah.

I mean it made sense because of what the story was and where they came from but drat. I'd rather see Mia or even Zoe as a returning RE7 person instead of Ethan. ESPECIALLY if the game is going to be about going crazy/hallucinations/not being able to trust people and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I must be the only person in the world who kind of liked Ethan. He came across really well as a legitimately normal guy who is just in way over his head. Even then, he starts making quips eventually, it's a bit like a Leon who less affected by the player perception that RE4 gave him. "And stay dead!" indeed.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I must be the only person in the world who kind of liked Ethan. He came across really well as a legitimately normal guy who is just in way over his head. Even then, he starts making quips eventually, it's a bit like a Leon who less affected by the player perception that RE4 gave him. "And stay dead!" indeed.

I liked Ethan for that reason also, but I didn't like him so much that I want to see more of him. I'd prefer a brand new normal guy who is just in way over his head.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

He really doesn't come across as normal, Ethan's has an absurd under reaction to nearly everything that happens to him in moldy murder manor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem of course is you can’t have a normal protagonist come back as they you know experienced it before making them not normal

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hype because it's RE but Ethan from what you get in RE7 is like the lamest protagonist ever so I hope they improve him a bit along with making the game a littles less chunky. I'm fine with first person RE but the lack of enemy variety and feedback was so horrible and the combat in general was pretty blah.

I mean it made sense because of what the story was and where they came from but drat. I'd rather see Mia or even Zoe as a returning RE7 person instead of Ethan. ESPECIALLY if the game is going to be about going crazy/hallucinations/not being able to trust people and stuff.

it was clarified, but they dont know the protag. when it was rev 3, it was chris, rebecca and ethan, but as of what they've heard now, rebecca is 100% cut, and chris and ethan have been "changed" with no context to what that even means. so it could be other characters or completely new ones. kinda hope its new ones. so as far as anyone knows this is like how hunk was the original protag for the old re3 on a boat or re: last escape being a random raccoon civvie who ends the game at the clock tower.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Caidin posted:

He really doesn't come across as normal, Ethan's has an absurd under reaction to nearly everything that happens to him in moldy murder manor.
Well, true, I guess. I suppose I should've rather said he comes across as the kind of "normal person" who rises to the occasion, instead of as the Action Hero In Training sort of person that Leon or Chris are, you know what I mean? He feels more mundane and grounded, less fictional. Resident Evil tends towards the over-the-top and that's the kind of person Ethan isn't.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Caidin posted:

His wife chainsaws his hand off and he barely reacts but he sees some centipedes in the crawlspace and he's going "gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, just finished RE3 and yeah it's totally not worth full price. It was fun and all, but everything was so short and scripted that i don't really even have the desire to replay it.

It doesn't help that the plot was barebones (even for a Resident Evil) and the environments were fairly generic, but the ~6 hour playtime and scripted events really just bring it down a bit.

If you pay £20 for this i think you'll feel satisfied.

Is it just me or did it not even blend all that well with RE2? There were all of these theories based on damage seen to the environment in RE2 and the Carlos RCPD section never really ticked any of that off.

For a game that was supposedly in development alongside RE2 i'd have expected a bit more in terms of overlap.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 4, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

His wife chainsaws his hand off and he barely reacts but he sees some centipedes in the crawlspace and he's going "gently caress gently caress gently caress"

dont kink shame.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

man nurse posted:

Resistance feels pretty weak. Just kind of a chaotic mess. I doubt I'll bother with it again.

If you’re playing as a survivor you’re toughest battle is against things revolving into a chaotic mess once monsters start attacking you. Stick together with at least one other person and you can steam roll basic zombies and dogs with 2X4’s and metal bats. If the mastermind tries to spawn a monster in the same room as you, you can run up and get free shots in on it, usually killing it before it fully activates.

If your team is good, you can split up, and divide the masterminds attention while completing objectives. Otherwise, just all cluster together, and brute force your way through any obstacles.

PSN name is MoldyMilkJug if anyone is looking to play this weekend. It’s really satisfying to have a group that gels and works together well.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I saw a Resistance clip where the mastermind spawned the super plant right next to all of the four survivors as they were about to escape. It killed one of them immediately and entrapped two in vines. They lost.

Capcom has never been able to do straight multiplayer games like that.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Just completed the game first time blind on Hardcore.

I really enjoyed it but there were points I would walk into something and be locked in a prolonged fight without the ammo or weapons I wanted.

Took me about 10 hours and I died 14 times :v:

I am not looking forward to my S+ run, Nemesis is no joke getting comboed by him and a zombie is pretty much an instakill. The hunter betas are also a bit random aswell. I imagine the regen zombies react bad to acid rounds too

I will be replaying this one alot but I am upset theres no operation Mad Jackal. I really want to play as more of the Mercs

Maybe they will add it as free DLC?

Also do shop items like the pouch or guns effect getting S ratings?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Tyrell DLC at some point, it just seems like the guy is being set up for every time he shows up somewhere plot-important without much explanation.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Sadly I think we're in for RE6 style semipointless multiplayer DLC, if we get much beyond 'all the guns for a tenner'.

I initially remember being sad DMCV didn't get much substantial DLC after Bloody Palace was activated but actually in hindsight it was quite refreshing that Capcom just went "here's the game. It's done, enjoy".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat it. The biggest disappointment I have with it is the final area. It just feels like a rehash of RE2. Having another Nest is dull as hell.

I wonder what the best unlock would be to unlock the rest of the unlocks.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 4, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Resistance seems like a game that will go free to play in three months and make its money selling Umbrella Bucks for costumes and imbalanced powerups.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have two things to say. the first as to the rumors about RE8, i am beginning to realize i hate ethan because i cant think of any scenario where i'd rather play as him than mia. and i don't even really like mia.

and the second is that when you consider jills first interaction with nemesis is him literally smashing through a wall kool-aid man style, i have to wonder why she puts so much effort into barricading doors with a book shelf or putting a bit of rubble in his way. jill. literally at this point the only thing you know about this dude is he can smash through a wall. why do you think a book shelf in front of a door is going to slow him down for even half as long as it took for you to put it there?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so are acid rounds actually worth it to make? it seems to me that explosive rounds and mine rounds are the go-to once you're out of the sewers and killed all the frogs

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i hate ethan because i cant think of any scenario where i'd rather play as him than mia.
You can't think of a situation where you'd rather not play as the woman who was literally trafficking bio-engineered child slaves?

I mean, all I can say is, I was kind of sad when choosing to save Zoe didn't actually let me save Zoe.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 4, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Tyrell DLC at some point, it just seems like the guy is being set up for every time he shows up somewhere plot-important without much explanation.

he walked.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aces High posted:

so are acid rounds actually worth it to make? it seems to me that explosive rounds and mine rounds are the go-to once you're out of the sewers and killed all the frogs

explosive rounds just seem generally better to me

Cardiovorax posted:

You can't think of a situation where you'd rather not play as the woman who was literally trafficking bio-engineered child slaves?

well, i guess if i didnt get to personally capture the slave children i wouldn't want to play as her, obviously. ethan: the MORALLY SUPERIOR resident evil character protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lunethex posted:

What really sucks is that Carlos never gets a chance to take on Nemesis either. And with the loss of the choice system (and the subtle changing of the game) you don't get to see him save Jill super badass-like by blowing up his rocket launcher and sending the fucker careening halfway across a yard.
I mean, he might not do as much badass poo poo, but in return he got to be a lot smarter. Jumping in and blowing up the rocket launcher was replaced by setting up an ambush and blowing him up with a tanker truck. Not sure exactly how to fit it in storywise, but that would probably have been a good point to switch Nemesis from "mutant super soldier" to "apex predator" though.

blackguy32 posted:

If there is one thing story wise that I think is unequivocally better than the original, it is Carlo's character. Like the original Carlos is like a caricature in comparison. The effort he puts into helping people and Jill is cool.
Yeah. His personality is a bit subdued compared to some RE characters, but I think it was a good choice to have him still be a supporting character to Jill in the remake of her solo game, even if the player gets to control him for longer in this one. His personality is basically designed to support the story of Jill, while avoiding being a straight up "4 year old child tells everyone how awesome Jill is" character.

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat it. The biggest disappointment I have with it is the final area. It just feels like a rehash of RE2. Having another Nest is dull as hell.
That's a fair criticism, though I do have to say it doesn't feel like just another Nest to me. Birkin's lab feels more hi tech, where this one is like the place where the sensible Umbrella workers work. They're all "WTF dudes, don't go messing with parasites! Stick to nice and safe viruses.", and just trying to meet production goals while everyone else at Umbrella is a huge drama queen condemning cities to obliteration because people don't recognize their genius. Still would've been nice if the lab portions were just a minor clean entry point/connection to a larger disposal facility though.