Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

But so did Welsh, soooooo

Welsh was heartbreaking. I was in USAFE during his time as the commander, and he was legit rock solid. I still don't know what the hell happened when he switched into CSAF mode and became a company man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/C130Matt/status/1235037091786088449?s=20

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Arc Light posted:

Welsh was heartbreaking. I was in USAFE during his time as the commander, and he was legit rock solid. I still don't know what the hell happened when he switched into CSAF mode and became a company man.

It's not like Goldfein was much better. He came out swinging and just fizzled out the last few years. We are even getting back plenty of all those supposed reduced additional duties.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'll take "beaten down after a couple of years" over "gently caress all of you" any day.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So let's say I have dual citizenship. I'm guessing there's no way they'll let me keep my second citizenship for a top secret clearance if I wanted some government job on base. And if that's the case would it be worth it give up Canadian citizenship? I kinda like the idea of being able to move to Canada on a moment's notice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

So let's say I have dual citizenship. I'm guessing there's no way they'll let me keep my second citizenship for a top secret clearance if I wanted some government job on base. And if that's the case would it be worth it give up Canadian citizenship? I kinda like the idea of being able to move to Canada on a moment's notice

They will ask you to renounce your dual citizenship but it’s not technically a disqualifier. It will take forever to get adjudicated.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

They will ask you to renounce your dual citizenship but it’s not technically a disqualifier. It will take forever to get adjudicated.

This.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yeah, I renounced my dual citizenship when I joined and it took a little longer than normal, but I was born in Jamaica so no biggie to drop that in lieu of US citizenship only. I don’t think I’d make the same choice if I had dual Canadian citizenship though...

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I knew a guy who had to fight like hell to get his TS because of his previous private sector job. The company he worked for offered him stock as part of his retirement plan and were subsequently bought out by a British company. He now had to disclose that he had a sizeable amount of foreign-owned stock on his SF86 and explain ad nauseum that the company was US-owned when he worked for it.

Someone in my family had something similar when they joined the Army. He already had a TS from a contractor job he had and his Army recruiter kept telling him to put 'no' on all the pot-related questions on his enlistment paperwork. He told the guy he already had a TS, had told them he'd smoked pot on that and wasn't going to incriminate himself like an idiot. Goes to MEPS, fills the paperwork out again and gets grilled over why he 'changed his answers' because the loving recruiter went back and put no on everything. Cue waiting 8 months for a waiver to be eligible for a clearance he already held.

Meanwhile there are convicted sex offenders with clearances because in OPM's twisted logic, they were upfront about being diddlers so there's no opportunity for blackmail. God I hated being a Security Manager.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
I’m getting drunk on base watching a Filipina/Korean band in the Loring club that’s been touring the whole peninsula and probably going to give everyone Corona virus 🤷🏾‍♂️ YOLO

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
You gonna smash or what?

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002

Wild T posted:

You gonna smash or what?

“But did you get head” of 2020...

Welp, someone must have; We just went into a medical stand down 30 minutes ago because someone was diagnosed with COVID19 on base and Wing leadership didn’t table top that scenario like 2-4 weeks ago like they should have, and now need to figure out a course of action...

:discourse:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Obviously this calls for a wing level commanders call

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Great, add another two months delay to going back AD that should have happened in January if the recruiter hadn’t screwed up the scroll...

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So our base is now mission essential personnel only, and contractors. Our work depends on people bringing us poo poo to calibrate. If there's no one around to bring poo poo in this is going to be a real boring few weeks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most of our base is mission essential apparently, but without our usual support from TDY personnel we've got twice the workload. Awesome. And most of the support folks we work with are on quarantine for another 9 days.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Dude, I'm Project Management in Korea where we haven't shut down because the government isn't ran by a mango. All of our project contractors, wing PMs, etc are in bases that have shut down so now we're doing all the work they were supposed to fly out and do here, on top of a bunch of stupid conference calls with people seemingly hiding out in either bird menageries or dog kennels.

Oh, well we get one extra Corona day off a week to help minimize exposure, woooo. Just waiting for Osan to start loving it up like Humphreys has, they got a whole week off because someone popped positive, then proceeded to wander all over the base like Billy from family circus.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

[NIPR Fairy doubleposted]

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
https://www.airforcemag.com/goldfein-pandemic-may-help-retention-pilot-shortage/

We're gonna make you come back Rek :getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does he seriously have a painting of a Predator in his office?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh my god Deptula is wrecking the Air Force even after retirement

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Doesn't take a predictive model for pilots to see the airline industry tank and go, oh well, guess it's time to stay in. I suspect any retention/recruiting problems the entire military has will not be a problem for the next several years at least.

Also, looks like they're using Zoom there, heh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Watch the AF change the retention bonus so it's all or nothing on the 9 year option. Right now there's a scale.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

I've already been in as a reservist for a couple years now.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Watch the AF change the retention bonus so it's all or nothing on the 9 year option. Right now there's a scale.

They really have nothing to lose so why not turn up the suck?

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Yeah. Giving the AF some breathing room on the aircrew crisis is probably the worst thing that could happen to the Air Force. Now they'll do even less than their doing for retention, and it'll blow up in their faces.

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."
Anybody else completely screwed by this plague situation? I was supposed to outprocess for PCS this week. Instead I'm stuck in an AirBnB while pulling shifts doing viral nasal swabs in the pandemic tent with lovely PPE.

I sold my house, shipped my HHG, bought a new house at my gaining location and my wife already moved there. Now I get to pay a mortgage and rent, while sitting alone in a room with a laptop waiting for the inevitable fever to come.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kranrev posted:

Anybody else completely screwed by this plague situation? I was supposed to outprocess for PCS this week. Instead I'm stuck in an AirBnB while pulling shifts doing viral nasal swabs in the pandemic tent with lovely PPE.

I sold my house, shipped my HHG, bought a new house at my gaining location and my wife already moved there. Now I get to pay a mortgage and rent, while sitting alone in a room with a laptop waiting for the inevitable fever to come.

That’s pretty well screwed. The base couldn’t put you up in lodging? Mine has been doing that for the essential medical personnel.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kranrev posted:

You really need to be making noise up the chain of command because this is absolutely hosed.

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

McNally posted:

You really need to be making noise up the chain of command because this is absolutely hosed.

The issue has been raised to my squadron commander, and my gaining squadron commander. The official response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Contact the Air Force Aid Society."

Honestly I don't know what I expected. I'm assigned to an Army post and the Air Force here have fully acclimated to BOHICA Army culture.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kranrev posted:

The issue has been raised to my squadron commander, and my gaining squadron commander. The official response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Contact the Air Force Aid Society."

Honestly I don't know what I expected. I'm assigned to an Army post and the Air Force here have fully acclimated to BOHICA Army culture.

Go talk to the IG

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

McNally posted:

Go talk to the IG

I'm weighing this vs a congressional. I'm a TX resident and Cruz (lol) is supposed to be a bulldog on active military complaints.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kranrev posted:

Your gaining and losing squadron commanders can absolutely get an exception to policy pushed through, if they choose to. They're obviously choosing not to.

Within the next two weeks, my shop is getting an inbound troop who got the ETP. He was in the process of buying a house at his gaining location when the stop movement order was issued. He hadn't closed on the new house or shipped his HHG. Nevertheless, both commanders agreed to concur with the ETP request because they're not dicks, and because that would be a real financial burden for the guy trying to PCS.

tl;dr - If your commander wanted you to get the ETP, it would happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if they didn't know they had the ability. Probably worth bringing the reg to their attention. This also shows you were proactive in trying to help solve the problem before your inevitable IG/congressional complaint.

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

Godholio posted:

It wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if they didn't know they had the ability. Probably worth bringing the reg to their attention. This also shows you were proactive in trying to help solve the problem before your inevitable IG/congressional complaint.

From what the shirt told me, everyone is aware that there is a waiver. I am just not going to get one. My squadron is larger than most groups so give-a-gently caress is spread especially thin.

Theoretically when this is all over I will get per diem back-paid, and since I crossed over to the dark side money isn't really the issue. I'm mostly worried about my asthmatic wife potentially dying alone of Covid 1800 miles way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assume you've mentioned that to the shirt?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Nothing is going to happen while this pandemic is still raging. Maybe after the fact when things settle down some heads will roll, but in this very moment your leadership is going to gently caress you because it's a free for all with zero accountability right now.

The military blows and they will gently caress you over whenever it's convenient, and yall motherfuckers still dont listen and get the surprised pikachu face when you find a big blue dick in your rear end, like if we didn't loving warn you 10,000 goddamn times.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Hahaha 'leadership'.

That's probably a good term for what they told my SSgt, whose kids are with her parents 40 miles away but she got told to suck it up because they're across state lines and that's the arbitrary boundary the wing commander chose for distance. My spineless Chief told me "well she was already about to head out the door on a remote, so I don't buy the stress or mental illness excuse."

My unit had a SMSgt blow her head off this past Thanksgiving. That Chief was her direct supervisor. Really colors in the loving bubbles doesn't it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wild T posted:

That's the arbitrary boundary the wing commander chose for distance.

Viruses respect geopolitical boundaries ya know?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wild T posted:

Hahaha 'leadership'.

That's probably a good term for what they told my SSgt, whose kids are with her parents 40 miles away but she got told to suck it up because they're across state lines and that's the arbitrary boundary the wing commander chose for distance. My spineless Chief told me "well she was already about to head out the door on a remote, so I don't buy the stress or mental illness excuse."

My unit had a SMSgt blow her head off this past Thanksgiving. That Chief was her direct supervisor. Really colors in the loving bubbles doesn't it.

That's an IG complaint right there