Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't worry about me finishing Odyssey, I have problems sticking with AAA games even when I love them. I've just now uninstalled Shadow of Mordor because I can't find the will to play it some more, I abandoned Far Cry 3 and 4 roughly 10-20 hours into each one, and 25+ hours in AssCreed Origins wore me out. I keep thinking I'll reinstall and go back to them, but who knows. This might be a fault with me, but whatever, I enjoyed my time with them.

I fully expect to get 20-40 hours out of Odyssey before I burn out, at which point AssCreed Sequel will probably be out and will lure me away. Who knows!

Let the thread know what you think about the game (good or bad). It's in my top 10 ever games list, but it is obnoxiously filled with content/length.

On another note, just a friendly reminder to blow out your PC's - especially the Power Supply and GPU. With many of us at home more, chances are they are filling up with dead skin faster than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Volte posted:

I long ago decided that playing a game until I don't want to play it anymore instead of forcing myself to complete it for completions sake is actually the correct way to do it. My main problem is that when I do go back to games, I am compelled to start over instead of just taking the few minutes to re-orient myself with my old save, meaning I've played the first half of a lot of games five times without finishing them.

I tried to do the Steam Anonymous thread and actually finish things, and in some cases it paid off (Gunpoint is only two hours and I'm glad I beat it) but in most cases it leads to me playing things I'm just not interested in, even if I like them in general. So at this point I don't finish things despite trying to and it's okay. In the meantime I get as much fun playtime out of a game as I can.

Then there are the edge cases where I've beaten State of Decay 2 three times, and got every achievement in Hitman 2016 (working on Hitman 2 it's so massive), and I will never be tired of playing Cook Serve Delicious 3 or Brigador or X-COM or....

But those are special games, and they deserve to be in a hall of fame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sinteres posted:

It's hilarious that in their enormous game that's filled with too much stuff they felt the need to add radiant quests and user created quests just in case some psychopath actually did everything there was to do.

What insane person, what madman could possibly do everything in th--

...oh :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

It's admittedly a hardware intensive game but I don't remember having problems like that at all on my deece PC.

Hell, I played Odyssey for a while on a 1050 Max Q and, while I played it on Low, I didn’t have any technical problems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turn on your monitor, it's one of the prettiest and best realized environments I've ever seen in a video game. God, their depiction of Egypt was so good.

As for the gameplay we can argue over it, but hot drat those temples and pyramids and deserts and hippos...
Tourist Mode was a genius idea and if you can get Origins cheap, I would genuinely recommend buying it just to travel around the wonderfully realized environments without having to deal with any of tedious "assassinating people" nonsense.

But really, it's great. It's like taking a guided tour from the comfort of your own couch.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

What insane person, what madman could possibly do everything in th--

...oh :negative:

I really do think it's an incredible game, so at least you picked a great one to lose your mind over.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed Origins, but after finishing it I feel like I can't play an ubisoft-style open world game game for a good five years.

It's just... a lot of game, of a very specific formula.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hello here are some games from the Humble COVID bundle that I already had or don't want:

Into the *reach: 8MLCG-A*90Q-Z5JHZ
Hollow *night: 8*AL8-YG9NC-0TQEG
The W*tness: 895HE-*H4R4-07X8M
Supe*hot: 8982*-ED3QV-5J75F
Killing *loor 2: 7QN6P-B508X-9*3RC
Fahrenheit: *ndigo Prophecy: 7D7TV-E**5G-XK8VV
B*othe*s: A Tale of Two Sons: 7F693-3A8*V-7F9GM
Broken *ge: 7GFQ4-JTPMN-3*N4H
A Morticia*s Tale : 7FVXK-K4*0E-JL9H3
A Good Snow*an is Hard to Build: 7QPJC-Y9GN9-*A2EI
Ducati 90th A**iversary: 82J44-G*DR3-JFP2F
Pa*-Man *hampionship 2: 7AT20-*8WG0-7A8WD
Wo*ld of Goo: 73A3Y-B7*XT-68YFA
Alie* Spidy: 70WAC-F8*ZA-KKZXD
Lostwinds: 70CK*-QCJXA-AY24C (*=3)
Rebuild 3: *angs of Deadsville: 7BFJ7-WLCFE-9B*0Z
Super Hex*gon: 6W3*D-I96TH-QZ3Z2
Sp**d Brawl: 7B36J-9YTLC-RK*8J

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The W*tness: 895HE-*H4R4-07X8M

Thank you very much!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Hollow *night: 8*AL8-YG9NC-0TQEG

Took this one, thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rebuild 3: *angs of Deadsville: 7BFJ7-WLCFE-9B*0Z
Thanks for this!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AssCreed Odyssey: should I turn on story creator mode or not? It isn't explaining what it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

AssCreed Odyssey: should I turn on story creator mode or not? It isn't explaining what it is.
It's the thing that lets you make community-created missions. Don't bother.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think that's the "make your own quests and share them" mode

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

It lets you discover and take on user-made quests. If it's your first time through the game then I would just ignore it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks. I'll turn it off as soon as the cutscenes stop.

God it's weird to see the modern day stuff. It means almost nothing.

e: this game might be prettier than Witcher 3

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks. I'll turn it off as soon as the cutscenes stop.

God it's weird to see the modern day stuff. It means almost nothing.

e: this game might be prettier than Witcher 3

Please take a screenshot of Best Protagonist Kassandra hanging from the big balls.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Please take a screenshot of Best Protagonist Kassandra hanging from the big balls.

NSFW, enjoy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't worry about me finishing Odyssey, I have problems sticking with AAA games even when I love them. I've just now uninstalled Shadow of Mordor because I can't find the will to play it some more, I abandoned Far Cry 3 and 4 roughly 10-20 hours into each one, and 25+ hours in AssCreed Origins wore me out. I keep thinking I'll reinstall and go back to them, but who knows. This might be a fault with me, but whatever, I enjoyed my time with them.

I fully expect to get 20-40 hours out of Odyssey before I burn out, at which point AssCreed Sequel will probably be out and will lure me away. Who knows!

Surprised that you didn't finish Mordor given how short that one is, but the others are pretty valid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Surprised that you didn't finish Mordor given how short that one is, but the others are pretty valid.
Mordor can really stretch if you try to do a lot of power struggle missions or shoot for the collectibles to get the secret weapons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

In my defense, Mordor made me start reading the Silmarillion and instead of playing it I wanted to read about elves. So that's part of why it's shelved - I'm still reading this book.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Life is Strange 2 is giving me post-world of warcraft flashbacks to having to walk around with a slow loving NPC that keeps getting stuck on things and having to start all over because the drat thing sequence breaks.

This would be mitigated if "Call Daniel" just loving like....made him teleport to you because "reasons".

It doesn't help that they changed how the movement is done to be less clunky rotational movement of your PC, but then made the character too floaty instead.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I never played either game but it seems like LiS1 was a real flash in the pan for them. I feel like nooooobody cared or talked about the second game.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Those are some huge balls. I approve.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It probably didn't hurt that the entire thing was being given away more than once, as I remember it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thank you chum!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Cool game Regions of Ruins is free

https://store.steampowered.com/app/680360/Regions_Of_Ruin/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Life is Strange 2 is giving me post-world of warcraft flashbacks to having to walk around with a slow loving NPC that keeps getting stuck on things and having to start all over because the drat thing sequence breaks.

This would be mitigated if "Call Daniel" just loving like....made him teleport to you because "reasons".

It doesn't help that they changed how the movement is done to be less clunky rotational movement of your PC, but then made the character too floaty instead.

The speed with which people completely forgot about LiS 2 is the most impressive thing about it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Oxxidation posted:

i've never seen such dismal pop-in, it was like the world ceased to exist ten meters away from the PC. characters hoisting boxes that weren't there, shadows that only materialized at point-blank range

I remember this! It wasn't an issue at launch but a few patches in it suddenly started happening. I tried for hours to fix it or figure out what was going on, but the most I could get was random posts on random forums saying "is there more pop in now?" It bugged the hell out of me and I couldn't unsee it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah coming from someone who liked Life Is Strange a lot, I didn't really want more of it, but I played Before The Storm anyways because I liked the first game so much. And then Before The Storm was ok, but not as good as LiS1, so at that point I REALLY didn't want any more of it, and by the time the sequel came out I couldn't really care anymore.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm getting pissed off at this game suddenly deciding something isn't working and I have to replay the entire last checkpoint.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

- playing games to avoid thinking about covid
- one of the first sidequests is about finding a village decimated by plague, and you have to choose whether to let the priest kill the infected survivors (who are only a little sick!) or rescue them. two of the survivors are children

:smith:

also on a mechanical note, how far am I going to overlevel the main quest if I do all the sidequests?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

also on a mechanical note, how far am I going to overlevel the main quest if I do all the sidequests?
Never, the game scales up with your level.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fallom posted:

The speed with which people completely forgot about LiS 2 is the most impressive thing about it

I think the episodic nature really worked against it, since if it were a complete product, people can talk about it and discuss the story, but I don't think anyone was speculating on what was coming next and whatnot. I'm not even sure if anyone even cared about LIS1 in that way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LiS1 definitely had people at the edge of their seat for more episodes and the model worked in their favor by giving it a longer marketing cycle.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the episodic nature really worked against it, since if it were a complete product, people can talk about it and discuss the story, but I don't think anyone was speculating on what was coming next and whatnot. I'm not even sure if anyone even cared about LIS1 in that way.

There was a decent amount of speculation and commenting on here each time an episode of LiS came out. I remember people freaking out over the Kate on the ledge segment, that was easily the most memorable part of the game.

It really didn't help that LiS2 only dropped an episode every four months, where the first one managed to get each part out in two.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

anilEhilated posted:

Never, the game scales up with your level.

You can also turn on level scaling in the options which brings all low level sidequest up to your current level so they keep giving decent gear

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

From what I've been told, the problem lies primarily in the audio, which is incredibly expansive and keeps getting only more so as players expect every little thing in a game to be voiced in every language available, which is then compounded by the fact that console manufacturers insist on audio being shipped uncompressed for some reason that is not known to me. Since games keep getting long and incidental dialogue and chatter start becoming something that is just expected for a game to feel complete to players, this is likely to only increase.
uncompressing audio requires cpu cycles which means you have less resources to send things to the graphics card, so it's a pretty easy cut when you're being asked to produce games with cutting-edge graphics for hardware that is several years old and even on release featured a cpu that reflected the need for that hardware to produce profit on a specific price point well below the cost of a consumer pc.

goferchan posted:

At least that's with the Battle Royale mode too and it lets you install just that or the regular game independently of one another, but yeah, still loving huge lol. Unless I'm misremembering it does not let you install just campaign or MP separately, right? I know some previous CoD games did and I wish they kept that up.
i think there's only one or two that actually let you do that - most of them just installed sp and mp as separate games in your steam library but you couldn't actually uninstall one without the other.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Re: file sizes. Back when Steam started I remember noises about users eventually choosing what texture sizes they'd download as well as audio languages, but I guess broadband and later fiber became more common and studios decided not to bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Re: file sizes. Back when Steam started I remember noises about users eventually choosing what texture sizes they'd download as well as audio languages, but I guess broadband and later fiber became more common and studios decided not to bother?

I do see some games offer HD texture packs as free DLC - Far Cry 5 offered it if I wanted to drop an extra 20 gigs on the game (I did not)

I wish more games did it, honestly.