Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Aces High posted:

so are acid rounds actually worth it to make? it seems to me that explosive rounds and mine rounds are the go-to once you're out of the sewers and killed all the frogs

Yes, they gently caress up the Hunter Betas and make them trivial.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a fair criticism, though I do have to say it doesn't feel like just another Nest to me. Birkin's lab feels more hi tech, where this one is like the place where the sensible Umbrella workers work. They're all "WTF dudes, don't go messing with parasites! Stick to nice and safe viruses.", and just trying to meet production goals while everyone else at Umbrella is a huge drama queen condemning cities to obliteration because people don't recognize their genius. Still would've been nice if the lab portions were just a minor clean entry point/connection to a larger disposal facility though.

Im just going to assume that you mean sensible for Umbrella, because lets not forget they essentially work in a disposal facility where they have seen upper management literally feed someone to the Hunters for going against them.

In any case, I wonder what is the best unlock to unlock first? A good unlock to help unlock other stuff.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lunethex posted:

I saw a Resistance clip where the mastermind spawned the super plant right next to all of the four survivors as they were about to escape. It killed one of them immediately and entrapped two in vines. They lost.

Capcom has never been able to do straight multiplayer games like that.

That's what gets me. They are kind of poo poo at the concept, and the best they've ever done is Outbreak [Which is why when people heard about Resistance they were like IS IT GOING TO BE LIKE OUTBREAK?!], and if they spent the time and money thrown at developing Resistance into adding another 30 minute set piece for Re3 and Mercenaries it'd probably have snagged them a solid million sales over the life of the product. It is the most no-brainer of no-brainer concepts, and yet they keep tripping over their dick hoping to find some sort of new crossover appeal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The weird thing is, all they'd have had to really do would've been to rip off the classic Half-Life mod Zombie Master, but from what I've heard so far, their version of that concept is just worse in more or less every sense.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mulva posted:

That's what gets me. They are kind of poo poo at the concept, and the best they've ever done is Outbreak [Which is why when people heard about Resistance they were like IS IT GOING TO BE LIKE OUTBREAK?!], and if they spent the time and money thrown at developing Resistance into adding another 30 minute set piece for Re3 and Mercenaries it'd probably have snagged them a solid million sales over the life of the product. It is the most no-brainer of no-brainer concepts, and yet they keep tripping over their dick hoping to find some sort of new crossover appeal.

If I remember right, some third party team made REsistance, didn’t they? The cost is one thing but I don’t think it took dev time from RE3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

If I remember right, some third party team made REsistance, didn’t they? The cost is one thing but I don’t think it took dev time from RE3.
Yeah.

quote:

The multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Resistance, was developed externally by NeoBards Entertainment and was previously announced as a separate game, Project Resistance.[11]

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

blackguy32 posted:

In any case, I wonder what is the best unlock to unlock first? A good unlock to help unlock other stuff.

I figured hip pouches, then do an Assisted run, making saves at points where I know there's a lot of zombies I can kill to farm weapon records, as they've a LOT of points to them. Carlos has a part where a save game will get those assault rifle kills pretty easily.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jill Sandwich mod

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked Ethan in RE7. The amount he gets the poo poo kicked out of him in the first hour of the game makes you really empathize with him

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Do we actually see Dario die in this one? I never saw him again after the beginning.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, as far as I can tell you can't even go back to the warehouse after the section where he would normally get eaten. He just goes into his box and stays there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blackguy32 posted:

Im just going to assume that you mean sensible for Umbrella, because lets not forget they essentially work in a disposal facility where they have seen upper management literally feed someone to the Hunters for going against them.
Well obviously. Though I think it is somewhat sensible to not want to rock the boat when that's what happens to people who piss of management, and even the management's decision to do that is somewhat sensible if horrifyingly evil.

Cardiovorax posted:

No, as far as I can tell you can't even go back to the warehouse after the section where he would normally get eaten. He just goes into his box and stays there.
Dario survives the nuking in his container, and manages to get out of the city safely. Despite his amateurish prose, his fictionalized retelling of the final days of Raccoon City ends up being an international bestseller as the public is hungry for any on the ground information about what happened. As a follow-up to this massive success he decides to seek out other survivors to tell their stories, and ends up meeting Jill again. Hearing her story of why Raccoon City really fell gives Dario a focus for the loss and anger he has felt since the death of his daughter, and his scathing expose of Umbrella's crimes is the final nail in Umbrella's coffin. Dario dies of cancer not long after, donating his entire estate to the newly formed BSAA.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there any reason to buy the lock pick or bolt cutters from the shop post game?

My quick review: not as good as RE2, Nemmy seemed sorta flat as a character, didnt have the emotional impact of Mr. X. Mr. X made me nervous as gently caress in the RPD, getting away from him was a physical relief. Nemesis in the original was also the same, I still relax once I knock him down or get past a checkpoint. I think his implementation was largely a mistake, hes now just seems like a reoccurring boss that wasnt ever actually a threat and occasionally did stupid stuff in his arena battles (doggie runs in a circle). In the first city map it was super easily to knock him down what with all the barrels and generators and grenades. His value as a tension builder was based on shock and awe and that was wasted in his introduction. There was no slow build up and there was no escalation, if anything his threat diminished as the game went on. The loot he drops is even redundant as you get those same basic items later in the game. I dont think I ever heard him says STARS in game, and if he did it was overcome by the ambient sounds.

Also RIP Dario, in the original his VA did a pretty good job of portraying a guy who is absolutely traumatized and conveyed the true sense of horror of the outbreak, now hes just a man in a box.

I did like the redesign of Nemmys transformations, a bit Giegerish but still pretty drat good.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 4, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gaj posted:

Is there any reason to buy the lock pick or bolt cutters from the shop post game?

Speed running possibly?

Something else that crossed my mind, how does the trophy/achievement for completing the game without using any healing items work with the Drain Deimos cutscene? You cannot avoid parasite status and must use a heal?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Speed running possibly?

Something else that crossed my mind, how does the trophy/achievement for completing the game without using any healing items work with the Drain Deimos cutscene? You cannot avoid parasite status and must use a heal?

It's actually 1 or fewer recovery items, probably for that reason.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i don't think the lockpick or bolt cutters could save you very much time, they're both trivial to get basically immediately

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone else have audio issues on PC? They cut out randomly get really out of sync and are the worst during cutscenes

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

i don't think the lockpick or bolt cutters could save you very much time, they're both trivial to get basically immediately

Lets you grab the stuff from the places as you get to them rather than backtracking or grabbing them with Nemesis chasing you though, saves a couple minutes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dario survives the nuking in his container, and manages to get out of the city safely. Despite his amateurish prose, his fictionalized retelling of the final days of Raccoon City ends up being an international bestseller as the public is hungry for any on the ground information about what happened. As a follow-up to this massive success he decides to seek out other survivors to tell their stories, and ends up meeting Jill again. Hearing her story of why Raccoon City really fell gives Dario a focus for the loss and anger he has felt since the death of his daughter, and his scathing expose of Umbrella's crimes is the final nail in Umbrella's coffin. Dario dies of cancer not long after, donating his entire estate to the newly formed BSAA.
:golfclap: Capcom couldn't have done it better.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Having watched the original before this came out, it feels more like a readaptation of the game more than a straight Remake like 2 got, so much was added or changed seemingly arbitrarily.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

that's a jill toastie, you can't fool me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What the actual gently caress game making me open a door and two Hunter Betas are just standing right there blocking me in this tiny room

what am I actually supposed to do here besides camping and exploiting the fact that their AI sometimes breaks when i close the door on them

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does anyone know if there's a particular tell for the Gammas one-hit kill attack? I'm about to start trying some faster/fewer save runs and the last thing I want is my time all jacked up because one of those suckas manages to nail me (and I didn't notice any cues the only time it happened on my first playthrough)

*Edit*

I meant Betas! These things need more memorable and distinct names, like "Claw Monkey" and "Turkey Toad"

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 4, 2020

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Some of the death animations in this are really drawn out and brutal. Most people probably know about the Hunter Gamma one, but the Nemesis Rocket Launcher one is hilarious.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Hunter Betas terrified me more than Nemesis in this tbh, especially when you're playing as poor Carlos.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Does anyone know if there's a particular tell for the Gamma one-hit kill attack? I'm about to start trying some faster/fewer save runs and the last thing I want is my time all jacked up because one of those suckas manages to nail me (and I didn't notice any cues the only time it happened on my first playthrough)
As far as I've seen so far, they can't do it unless they're within close enough range to bodily swallow you. As long as you keep backing up, you should be safe. Once they are, though, they can use it, no other conditions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Nightmare/Inferno's enemy layouts are an absolute trollfest, especially at the beginning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Nightmare/Inferno's enemy layouts are an absolute trollfest, especially at the beginning.

They absolutely expect you to die to the first zombie at least once.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lunethex posted:

I saw a Resistance clip where the mastermind spawned the super plant right next to all of the four survivors as they were about to escape. It killed one of them immediately and entrapped two in vines. They lost.

Capcom has never been able to do straight multiplayer games like that.

The plant is stupid easy if you don’t let the mastermind spawn it on top of you. The spawn in takes a couple seconds, and the plant can’t move, so all you have to do is stand back and unload on it. Alex is all about stalling and poison to delay and disable the survivors. Stock up on blue herbs and have someone play as Val because her special reduces infection levels. Also, it took me a while to realize that spray items also effect any teammate standing near you.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Augus posted:

What the actual gently caress game making me open a door and two Hunter Betas are just standing right there blocking me in this tiny room

what am I actually supposed to do here besides camping and exploiting the fact that their AI sometimes breaks when i close the door on them

I just tossed a hand grenade and instakilled both

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Honestly, I can't really think of anything particularly positive to say beyond it sharing the same rock solid ots fundamentals of Remake 2. Felt more like a crappy uncharted ripoff at times than an RE game, and I wonder how much of that was genuine intention and how much of it was a cost/time saving measure. Hopefully the rumored medieval alchemy project sets up another redemption arc.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I just won a difficult game of resistance against someone who’s already unlocked Spencer and one of my teammates afterwards was like "holy poo poo, that guy destroyed us in the first two minutes the last time I played him, we just achieved the impossible!"

game owns, sad others aren’t enjoying it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

rabidsquid posted:

It does speed up early game shotgun / stock and some other goodies.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Finished my first playthrough on Standard, just over 4 and a half hours and that was taking my time. This game's pacing is really rushed and it doesn't give you time to soak up atmosphere the way RE2 remake did. I wish I hadn't paid full price for this as it really wasn't worth it and that's coming from a huge fan of this series. It's like a 5 or 6/10.

Resistance is a mess. It's like they slapped some Resident Evil branding on top of Last Year the Nightmare. Even playing it with two friends it was awful as the fourth survivor rando was always braindead, running off to a distant corner to die while holding all key items and big weapons.

Not great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I haven't done any experimenting but considering how lovely the dodge mechanic is regarding regular zombies does kneecapping work the way it did in RE2make?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Aces High posted:

so I haven't done any experimenting but considering how lovely the dodge mechanic is regarding regular zombies does kneecapping work the way it did in RE2make?

Not really no, zombies are way harder to dismember/flinch for some reason. Or at least it feels that way. You do find fuckloads of ammo though so really you should probably just stick to body shots and just kill everything.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2020

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

I flashed them, got the item and bounced

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Resistance thought: I think I'd actually really like to play a Resident Evil set in a big Victorian London theme park.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonaventure posted:

I just won a difficult game of resistance against someone who’s already unlocked Spencer and one of my teammates afterwards was like "holy poo poo, that guy destroyed us in the first two minutes the last time I played him, we just achieved the impossible!"

game owns, sad others aren’t enjoying it

I'm enjoying it more than the single player but Birkin is horse poo poo

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Grenades are great against Birkin and Mr X- don’t even try to fight him, use grenades to stun him and run. When he’s not enraged he’s basically harmless. If he grabs a teammate, use a grenade to save them. I’m having way less trouble with him than I was yesterday.

Also I dunno what others’ expectations are but my attitude toward asymmetrical games might be helping my enjoyment— for an asymmetrical game I expect the single person team to be powerful and to lose as survivor, and if I win then it’s a bonus. It helps that this game has multiple levels per game, which allows for the feeling of partial successes and awards you most of the points even if you lose. If I don’t make it to the third round that’s a failure.

Also, Jan is the greatest, I’m learning to save my camera hacking for opportune moments when the mastermind is really trying to gently caress with us at objective points. I’m also having lots of success saving Valerie’s heal skill up for when someone is downed; it revives them without forcing you to be vulnerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beat the game, first run on Hardcore was 6:30, 7:45 counting reloads.
Overall liked the game a lot, though is wasn't as great as RE2 Remake. I never really played the original RE3 but the middle stretch of the game definitely felt like something was missing, with how quickly you switch from Carlos to Jill back to Carlos again. The boss fights were a lot better than the ones in RE2