Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure if they specifcally understand terrain but yeah they absolutely try to make formations with their army and attack/withdraw and skirmish with cav and stuff. It's pretty impressive.

When that battle started the army commander had a popup that said "Our goal is to hold this narrow pass" and ended up in that awesome defensive position so clearly they're actively thinking about it in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Found this tweak set in one mod. Seems like some good changes to add to the loading screen skip on combat.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/49

quote:

Crafting Stamina:
- Stamina cap raised from 100 to 400. (Patched method -> CraftingCampaignBehavior.GetMaxHeroCraftingStamina)
- Stamina gain raised from 5 per hour to 10 per hour. (Patched method -> CraftingCampaignBehavior.HourlyTick)
- Optional setting to disable crafting stamina entirely (Disabled by default. Patched method -> CraftingVM.HaveEnergy)

Battle rewards:
- Doubled renown gain from battles. (Patched method -> DefaultBattleRewardModel.CalculateRenownGain)

Party size:
- Gain bonus party size from Leadership and Steward skill. Bonus is equal to 30% of Leadership skill value + 30% of Steward skill value. (Patched method ->DefaultPartySizeLimitModel.CalculateMobilePartyMemberSizeLimit)

Tournament rewards:
- Increased renown from winning a tournament from 3 to 8. (Patched method -> DefaultTournamentModel.GetRenownReward)
- Added 500 gold reward for winning tournament. (Patched method -> TournamentBehavior.OnPlayerWinMatch)
- Added ability to increase maximum bet amount. Disabled by default. (Patched methods -> TournamentVM.RefreshBetProperties, TournamentVM.RefreshValues, TournamentVM.get_IsBetButtonEnabled)

Skill experience multiplier:
- Added a global multiplier to skill experience gain. This multiplier is on a curve, starting from 1 at skill level 1 and going to about 12 at skill level 250. I added this because after 20 hours of gameplay I had managed to raise my combat skills to around 65, which is a ridiculously slow leveling process. Not sure of the balance of this tweak yet. (Patched method -> Hero.AddSkillXp)

Hide Troop Limit Increased:
- Added a value to let you bring your entire army into a hideout. If you want to limit the number of troops you can bring you can lower the limit. (Patched method -> DefaultTroopCountLimitModel.GetHideoutBattlePlayerMaxTroopCount)

Tournament Experience Enabled:
- Experience gains for the player and your companions are enabled in tournaments and the arena.

Troop Experience Multiplier:
- Global experience multiplier for all non-hero troops. Default value is 2x experience.

Increased Workshop Limit:
- Increased base workshop limit from 1 to 2 (One extra).
- Optional setting to increase workshop limit bonus from clan tier. (Set to native value by default).
- Optional tweak to reduce the cost of workshops. (Disabled by default).

Companion Limit:
- Optional setting to change the base number of companions you can have (disabled by default).
- Optional setting to change the bonus to your companion limit from clan tier (disabled by default).

Settlement Tweaks:
- Added value to give bonus militia production to castles and towns. This is aimed towards making sieges more difficult and stopping one faction from taking over.
- Added value to give bonus food production to castles and towns to support bigger militias.
- Added value to increase the chance for castles and towns to spawn elite units in their militias.

Castle Buildings Tweaks:
- Added values to give bonuses to production levels of the castle Granary, Gardens, Militia Barracks and Training Fields.
-- Training field now gives 30, 70, 90 experience to garrisoned units.
-- Granary now provides 30, 45, 60 food storage.
-- Gardens now produce 3, 6, 9 food.
-- Militia Barracks now provide 3, 6, 9 militia production.

Siege Tweaks
- Reduced siege construction speed to 85% of vanilla.
- Reduced siege artillery collateral damage by 12.5% (Only on the campaign map).
- Reduced siege artillery destruction damage to 4.5 from 5 (Only on the campaign map).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

When that battle started the army commander had a popup that said "Our goal is to hold this narrow pass" and ended up in that awesome defensive position so clearly they're actively thinking about it in some capacity.

Oh neat, I've had them give instructions but not specifically referencing terrain yet, that's really cool then, cos yeah the battles having structure really, really adds to the fun of participating in them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Uppa posted:

I played Warband to death and literally just discovered Bannerlord exists.

What's the goon consensus so far: worth buying in its current state?

In general I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wasn't already sure. If you loved Warband it's definitely gonna be your kind of game, but be advised that it is wildly unpolished and lots of really basic things don't work yet.

Simple mods can take off some of the worst of the rough edges.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Found this tweak set in one mod. Seems like some good changes to add to the loading screen skip on combat.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/49

Unfortunately the current version of this mod causes the game to not load for me. Had to roll the mod back to the 1.3 version of it, which has less tweaks/features

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A modded x5 experience rate seems pretty decent to me so far.

However I keep restarting games because I just can't settle on what to play. I've bounced between Vaegir-Wanna be Sturgian Cavalryman, Battanian foot fighter, Imperial Mercenary and am contemplating a few other goes.

That said I love throwing weapons in this so far, they always felt kinda "meh" in my memories of the first Mount and Blade but they feel pretty good hear, especially landing a kill via a mounted throw just sends the victim flying back from the force of the impact.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2020

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh neat, I've had them give instructions but not specifically referencing terrain yet, that's really cool then, cos yeah the battles having structure really, really adds to the fun of participating in them.

Yeah it's amazing compared to how much of a terrible slog big battles were in Warband, at this point they're the main draw for me to keep playing at this point in early access.

Also size 1000 battles and unlimited bodies are rad and run well for me which is a plus.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Holy poo poo the AI commanders in Army battles are smart and will actually try to use the terrain now. I just had an army I was in win despite being outnumbered ~500 to ~400 by virtue of the leader being smart enough to put my party's 30 Sergeant Crossbowmen on a hill in a defensive position. I led one wing of the cavalry and started by skirmishing with their cav before smashing into the back of the enemy infantry as they charged out line, it felt like a first person Total War battle.

I attacked a noble who's army I outnumbered and it had it's infantry form a circle with archers firing out when my horse archers closed in. I was legitimately impressed. Sucks that the battle prep is locked behind tactics 75

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Agean90 posted:

Sucks that the battle prep is locked behind tactics 75

It also currently doesn't work. :v:

What kind of character is everyone playing/played so far? Nation/faction and fighting style?

I keep restarting as I said above. I'm trying to work up the courage to practice melee fighting with no shield...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It also currently doesn't work. :v:

Well at least I know to stop worrying about now!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Uppa posted:

get it, you have it for 10% off on steam still I think

and you're going to play the poo poo out of it regardless later, so might as well. most of the crashing/showstopper issues have already been rapidly fixed and the game itself is there and enjoyable, but a lot of content is placeholder.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Took advantage of the snowballing to actually finish an Empire campaign. Where is my banquet Rhagaea? I miss banquets.

My character was level 13 at the end of this. Highest skills were 96 bows, 64 riding, 74 medicine, 69 leadership.

A small tip on ranking up the recruits you've gathered: fight looters on autoresolve. The experience gained is several times more than you would otherwise get if you did the battle manually, because the autoresolve calculation assumes the looters don't break morale so your party gets full experience for beating them, and you'll never lose anyone because looters deal blunt damage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whoever thought this Neretzes’ Folly quest was a good idea needs to be fired out of a cannon. Into the sun.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
how do i get lords, like the other kingdoms? nobody wants to join me and the clan parties just aren't cutting it.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

man, gently caress tournaments. lovely rear end last round with useless shield and crappy 1 hand sword

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

how do i get lords, like the other kingdoms? nobody wants to join me and the clan parties just aren't cutting it.

In warband you would give companions lands, at which point they become lords in your kingdom.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Whoever thought this Neretzes’ Folly quest was a good idea needs to be fired out of a cannon. Into the sun.

It's a neat idea on paper to force the player to explore the map - but with the nobles bouncing all over it and hiding in keeps it's a huge pita...

If they changed it to talk to people in cities I'd be ok with it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Unfortunately the current version of this mod causes the game to not load for me. Had to roll the mod back to the 1.3 version of it, which has less tweaks/features

Nevermind, I had to fix the load order xml in one of my other mods. Works fine now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the legend of POOP DICKS grow, and even people who have double my units fall to my superior archer nerds

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In more "If this was warhammer" news I wish you could use the siege engine system to make battlewagons, steam tanks, or at least boats. Boats actually might be quite fun with the new horse physics, ramming fuckers and having siege weapons on them and archers etc.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Which faction has the best archers?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

OwlFancier posted:

In warband you would give companions lands, at which point they become lords in your kingdom.

you can make your companions governors, but i can't see an option to make them a permanent lord

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends what you want, crossbows do more punch and have better range but bows have better rate of fire. I think most of the archers are very similar but Vlandia does the best crossbows IMO because empire ones have broken stats.

Battanian Fians are probably the best archers overall though because they're the battanian nobility line.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

kidkissinger posted:

Which faction has the best archers?

The Khuzait Khanate because their archers are on horses and they are super good at killing.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Mesadoram posted:

The Khuzait Khanate because their archers are on horses and they are super good at killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1YQSZ5fjs

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mesadoram posted:

The alternative (for foot) would be Battanian Fian Nobles (:goonsay: they should be called Fénnid, the Fianna was the group they were part of). They're Battanian's noble troop tree (unlike the other factions, whose nobility are usually cavalry) so they get great armor, powerful long bows, deadly two-handed falx swords, and high skills.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Horse archers are good but you probably want to park them up somewhere because they, like you, can't shoot for poo poo while moving. Their mobility is certainly useful though.

Horse archer vs horse archer battles are mostly both sides riding around in circles killing the poo poo out of the floor, trees, and rocks until they run out of ammunition.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress I thought they were called Flans, like the dessert

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it's Irish, or something in that language group at least. I keep thinking of the political party whenever I hear it. Or the sectarian slur.

The Battanians are like... mishmash Celts, so a mix of Welsh, Scottish, and Irish. It's all insular celtic flavoured.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda wish there was a button to have a companion go out and bring me back 80 peasants, going from town to town.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't see how anything other than a cav-heavy army is viable. You just can't catch anything on the campaign map. Let alone if you aren't riding a horse yourself.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Depends what you want, crossbows do more punch and have better range but bows have better rate of fire. I think most of the archers are very similar but Vlandia does the best crossbows IMO because empire ones have broken stats.

Battanian Fians are probably the best archers overall though because they're the battanian nobility line.

I find the aserai master archers are also super good. Not as good as flans, but you can get them at any aserai settlement so can make it up in volume and how easy it is to replace them when they eat a javelin to the face

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I like the little ditty that plays whenever I stomp Battanian armies.

Which is easy because they don't have horses. Get with the times, lads!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't see how anything other than a cav-heavy army is viable. You just can't catch anything on the campaign map. Let alone if you aren't riding a horse yourself.

Once you get hundreds of horses you can generally catch other large parties- the ones you'll miss are steppe/desert bandits and the small bandit parties. I find all cav to be more important early on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
What's the feel with the "herd" speed debuff?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

kidkissinger posted:

What's the feel with the "herd" speed debuff?

You get it for having too many pack horses.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was actually thinking it might be useful to fight/campaign on foot for a while to build up athletics, but I'm already used to the x5 XP mod rate making decent skilling up practical.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
You just need to pick up enough horses for your infantry. Specifically saddle horses, since all the tier 1's are pack animals.

Cavalry really is in a league of its own, but the good ones can only be trained from rare noble recruits, or upgrading high tier infantry with an expensive warhorse, so you're stuck with infantry for awhile. The noble recruits are so tricky to find that I usually have my cataphracts dismount and keep them as a reserve anyway.

Uppa posted:

It is if you play on easy settings for damage, since realistic isn't balanced ,and if you try to play on it you will get sniped out of your saddle by peasants with stones while forest bandits snap off laser guided arrows from across the map.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
What do the eye symbols on places mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Panzeh posted:

You get it for having too many pack horses.

Too many animals in general, I think. Essentially you need people in your party to control the animals, if you try to take all animals and no people, you lose speed. Just hire some more people or reduce your herd size until it goes away. It's easy to balance unless you end up with your army wiped suddenly.