Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just watched the David Hyde Pierce movie The Perfect Host. What a wild rear end movie. When the third act revelation happens I told my roommate that the movie not only went off the rails but managed to end up landing on a rollercoaster track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gripweed posted:

And I want to be extremely clear about this. I don't want there to be even the slightest bit of ambiguity here. I don't mind anime.

Then you should really watch Mononoke, not Princess Mononoke the Miyazaki film, but "Mononoke" the 2007 horror anthology series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dorium posted:

Godzilla movie rankings

1998 Godzilla (US)
Son of Godzilla
Godzillas Revenge
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

and then the rest are trash

:haw:

Son of Godzilla and Godzilla's Revenge are really good movies tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghidorah the three headed monster is incredible

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Tertius Oculum posted:

Hey not sure if many saw this:
https://www.sxsw.com/film/2020/amazon-prime-video-presents-the-sxsw-2020-film-festival-collection/
"“Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection” offers filmmakers in the 2020 SXSW Film Festival lineup an invitation to opt in to take part in this online film festival, which will play exclusively on Prime Video in the U.S. for 10-days. The one-time event will be available in front of the Prime Video paywall and free to all audiences around the country, with or without an Amazon Prime membership, all that is needed is a free Amazon account."

The Green Knight is one of the headliners. So we may be able to see that pretty soon here.

This is opt in only though, and I doubt A24 is gonna let a tentpole film like that stream early, esp since it's almost guaranteed that anything streaming will get ripped.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neo Rasa posted:

You should watch the David Cronenbeg film Rabid .

Rabid kicks rear end, thanks for the reommendation

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

I'm hoping you guys could help me with something; I'm looking for movies that deal with societal breakdown, but as a gradual process. The movie starts with things are fine or at least OK, and then over the course of the movie stuff gets worse on a citywide, nationwide, or worldwide scale.
I don’t know how I didn’t think of this earlier but the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers fits this perfectly

In a completely unrelated topic, I rewatched the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers today because my Shout Blu-Ray came in (it’s going out of print, so get it now) and wtf is that leather thing Nimoy has on his hand

Also the special features say that Robert Duvall is the first changed person you see, but I think it’s gotta be that kindergarten teacher who looks ominously at Elizabeth walking off with a space flower before telling her kids to go pick all the flowers they can find

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 4, 2020

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Ghidorah the three headed monster is incredible

:hai:

I’m working my way through the criterion set and so far that’s the best one since the original.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

david_a posted:

I don’t know how I didn’t think of this earlier but the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers fits this perfectly

In a completely unrelated topic, I rewatched the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers today because my Shout Blu-Ray came in (it’s going out of print, so get it now) and wtf is that leather thing Nimoy has on his hand

Also the special features say that Robert Duvall is the first changed person you see, but I think it’s gotta be that kindergarten teacher who looks ominously at Elizabeth walking off with a space flower before telling her kids to go pick all the flowers they can find

I did not know this, glad I ordered one. I'll have to let my brothers know.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So far in my quarantine I've seen three Stephen King adaptations, Doctor Sleep, Pet Sematary and It: Chapter Two. Out of those It was definitely the best movie. My main problem with all of them was that none of them was particularly scary. And all of them, for some weird reason, involved native american rituals in some form or another.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You could always end it with Dreamcatcher, which is named after a native American ritual yet doesn't actually contain one that I can recall.

Bonus, rear end in a top hat aliens!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
FYI, if you get the channel Movies! they're showing Friday the 13th parts 1 and 2 right now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doctor Sleep is a solid Dark Fantasy movie with horror elements that loses itself in homage wank in the last act.

IT: Part 2 feels like it's at least 40% deleted scenes from the first film that were all deleted for a reason.

Haven't seen the new Pet Sematery but I hear they don't even kill off the toddler so what's the point?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Just watched the David Hyde Pierce movie The Perfect Host. What a wild rear end movie. When the third act revelation happens I told my roommate that the movie not only went off the rails but managed to end up landing on a rollercoaster track.

I was pleasantly surprised by that movie. I only watched it because I saw the thumbnail on Netflix or whatever and thought “aw hell yeah Niles is being fancy again” but it turned out to be a neat little low budget thriller.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
R-Point seems like the best of these horror/war films so far. Overlord was disappointing, Deathwatch had a dumb ending and Outpost had a cool concept but looks like it was shot in someones backyard. R-Point has some obvious plot developments but it looks good and is creepy as hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone start watching the Cursed Films series on Shudder? I’m just starting it, first episode is about the Exorcist. I had no idea one of the actors in that movie ended up murdering somebody. The guy they interview who claims to be a “real exorcist” is a little silly tho. I laughed when he revealed that he was a furniture store salesman before he started doing exorcisms.

E: looks like they only released one ep so far. I wonder what other films will be showcased in the series.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 4, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you want to watch a real movie about real exorcisms the director of the Exorcist made one called the Devil and Father Amorth

it's not a horror movie, it's about literal Catholic exorcisms so it's more of a religious documentary but I really enjoyed it (I may be biased bc im Catholic)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ruddiger posted:

Anyone start watching the Cursed Films series on Shudder? I’m just starting it, first episode is about the Exorcist. I had no idea one of the actors in that movie ended up murdering somebody. The guy they interview who claims to be a “real exorcist” is a little silly tho. I laughed when he revealed that he was a furniture store salesman before he started doing exorcisms.

E: looks like they only released one ep so far. I wonder what other films will be showcased in the series.

Poltergeist, The Crow, The Omen, and Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Poltergeist is obviously the string of deaths associated with it. The teen daughter was murdered before the first film was released, the evil preacher died of stomach cancer before the second film was finished, and the little girl died of chronic illnesses shortly after the 3rd film.

The Crow is obviously the way Brandon Lee died on set and the long rumors that his dad died the same way.

The Omen I think had a ton of religious concern and "oh god, this film is possessed" type stuff.

I dunno what happened with the Twilight Zone.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 4, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You could always end it with Dreamcatcher, which is named after a native American ritual yet doesn't actually contain one that I can recall.

Bonus, rear end in a top hat aliens!

Already watched it. It was dumb in all the right ways. But King's hang up with native americans is honestly really weird.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Haven't seen the new Pet Sematery but I hear they don't even kill off the toddler so what's the point?

It's heavily implied he's killed and brought back

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno what happened with the Twilight Zone.

This has to be sarcasm right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arivia posted:

This has to be sarcasm right?

I actually weirdly had no idea about the helicopter crash. But I also kind of only barely remember the Twilight Zone movie beyond the Lithgow scene. All 80s anthologies kind of blend together for me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Already watched it. It was dumb in all the right ways. But King's hang up with native americans is honestly really weird.

I see it mostly as a literal short hand to explain the mystical elements of ancient lands that we just so happen to currently occupy. Most King books break down to “haunted house” stories, it just so happens the “house” is usually the entire town, and the native Americans were the previous tenants who had their own ways of dealing with resurrected pets, rear end blasting parasites, space clowns, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King's work is also clearly inspired by Lovecraft and the idea of these evil things that lived just outside our range of perception or were creeping back into our world or looking to prey on us. And he used "shamans" and "wise men" as his standins for the people more in touch with that stuff and able to see more. I think from King's perspective he thought it was a compliment but its obviously just bad sign of the times casual racism. Its been said before but I think King's heart is in the right place but he's still an old rear end white dude from New England.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I finally got my best friend to watch Motel Hell. He loved how bonkers it was but by far, the best reaction out of him was, "HOLY poo poo! IT'S CLIFF CLAVIN!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

King's work is also clearly inspired by Lovecraft and the idea of these evil things that lived just outside our range of perception or were creeping back into our world or looking to prey on us. And he used "shamans" and "wise men" as his standins for the people more in touch with that stuff and able to see more. I think from King's perspective he thought it was a compliment but its obviously just bad sign of the times casual racism. Its been said before but I think King's heart is in the right place but he's still an old rear end white dude from New England.

Ha, I was going to compare King to Lovecraft’s buddy, Howard, who would use ancient hyperborea as his stand-in for the original people of the land.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

ruddiger posted:

You finding it silly was the point, though. That reveal at the end, along with the reveal that the guy is getting frequent exorcisms and is paying handsomely for it with money he doesn't have leads to the conclusion of the whole episode (and possibly series). There's no such thing as curses but people will see what they want to see.

It's only been one episode so far but going by the reviews it seems like the show is going to be more about "why do we believe in things like cursed films" and not "wow spooky how cursed these films are."

Anyways it's beautifully shot and the first episode was good so check it out if you have Shudder.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gripweed posted:

I'm hoping you guys could help me with something; I'm looking for movies that deal with societal breakdown, but as a gradual process. The movie starts with things are fine or at least OK, and then over the course of the movie stuff gets worse on a citywide, nationwide, or worldwide scale.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire would probably fit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

trying to participate in AHMC during a pandemic lockdown is tough when your SO doesnt like horror. I've been up to at least 2am watching movies for the greater good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh poo poo

I might join

I'm about to be way out of it for two weeks+ with the coronavirus anyway and not good for much else

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watched The Hunt, and while it wasn't really a horror movie, it wasn't as horrible as everyone had said. I laughed pretty hard in some spots.

It's less of a horror movie, and more of a dark comedy. I still don't get the "trying to build up hype by saying it's one of the most dangerous films ever!" idea that marketing had, cause it's pretty much a paint by numbers film.

I was incredibly surprised that Gary was actually played by the now ripped and buff Ethan Suplee.

Basically everyone was a caricature of a liberal or a "deplorable", and it turns into a political version of You're Next.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watched The Hunt, and while it wasn't really a horror movie, it wasn't as horrible as everyone had said. I laughed pretty hard in some spots.

It's less of a horror movie, and more of a dark comedy. I still don't get the "trying to build up hype by saying it's one of the most dangerous films ever!" idea that marketing had, cause it's pretty much a paint by numbers film.

I was incredibly surprised that Gary was actually played by the now ripped and buff Ethan Suplee.

Basically everyone was a caricature of a liberal or a "deplorable", and it turns into a political version of You're Next.

with some retrospection, I think it was less poo poo and more just lost opportunity. It's such a dumb film trying to be clever and smart that it misses its own goal by a gajillion miles. I still love Betty Gilpin with every fiber of my being, but she deserves better than The Hunt.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She did kick some rear end in it though.

I hope to see her in better films as well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just watched From Beyond and I don't ever want to hear that "Lovecraft is unfilmable" ever again. A murderer's row of schlock heavy hitters - Band, Yuzna, Combs and the sorely-missed Stuart Gordon - come together to give us the most fully-realized, goopy, a e s t h e t i c lighting we could have dreamed of for From Beyond, which, like any good Lovecraft, ends with the protagonist cackling in madness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

I just watched From Beyond and I don't ever want to hear that "Lovecraft is unfilmable" ever again. A murderer's row of schlock heavy hitters - Band, Yuzna, Combs and the sorely-missed Stuart Gordon - come together to give us the most fully-realized, goopy, a e s t h e t i c lighting we could have dreamed of for From Beyond, which, like any good Lovecraft, ends with the protagonist cackling in madness.

It's a perfect movie.

Also holy poo poo guys, Come To Daddy is really really good. I realized after it was over that it would make a great double feature with Prometheus.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Last night I smoked weed and put on Midsommar. I had to turn it off only 30-40min in and lay down because I freaked out.

I think what set me off was the camera panning across the drawing of ceremony stages one of which involves genital mutilation?) So when the table was set and people began eating, I couldn't handle what happens next.

Plus I've been reading about paganism, cults and ancient religions lately. Oh and the movie's style does claustrophobia well. Seems to have a Kubrickian style, imo. It hit me on subconscious level.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How's American Mary? I saw it in a Buzzfeed article and uh it is Very Relevant To My Interests.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Last night I smoked weed and put on Midsommar. I had to turn it off only 30-40min in and lay down because I freaked out.

I think what set me off was the camera panning across the drawing of ceremony stages one of which involves genital mutilation?) So when the table was set and people began eating, I couldn't handle what happens next.

Plus I've been reading about paganism, cults and ancient religions lately. Oh and the movie's style does claustrophobia well. Seems to have a Kubrickian style, imo. It hit me on subconscious level.

The drawing depicts cutting pubes and collecting menstrual blood to make a love potion. Not genital mutilation but I can see how you could make that mistake.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arivia posted:

How's American Mary? I saw it in a Buzzfeed article and uh it is Very Relevant To My Interests.
It's fine and I can't imagine it disappointing if you dig the elevator pitch.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Drunkboxer posted:

The drawing depicts cutting pubes and collecting menstrual blood to make a love potion. Not genital mutilation but I can see how you could make that mistake.

Ah, if not for AntiChrist I probably would not have mistook it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

if the concept intrigues you it's definitely worth a watch cool fx and fairly entertaining just don't go in expecting a masterpiece and you'll have a good time