Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress off. I am so sick of people trying to both sides poo poo so they can pretend they don't know who the main offender is. It's Trump. It's the rear end in a top hat governors who refused to do poo poo (What's that? Those states had republican governors? That's shocking). The information is easily attainable and you pretending it isn't is a load of crap. Stop being dumb, understand the difference between facts that happen to make someone look bad and facts cherry picked and misrepresented to make someone look bad.

edit: Also you can't exactly unite when both sides are opposites. Like when one side is saying hey we should social distance and the others like but but but the economy! You can kind of see how those might not really work well together.

Newsflash: Dr. Fauci, the social distancing guy, is Trump's primary advisor for this crisis. So unless you're saying that the Democrats are against Social Distancing, and the Republicans are for it, they're not exactly on opposite sides of this issue. In fact, the first pundits to take the virus seriously by recommending travel bans and social distancing while impeachment was still dominating the news were Trump's earliest supporters (ie Scott Adams, Steve Bannon, Jack Posobiec, Tarl Warwick, Mike Cernovich, Tucker Carlson, etc). Some of them were warning as early as December, when the rest of the press (both let and right) were downplaying it and focusing on impeachment. Both sides were downplaying the severity until March. But you know what? Even though they were wrong, I actually don't blame people for downplaying the severity, because hindsight is 2020 and an over-reaction that results in a crippling depression or a totalitarian state (like what happened in Hungary) could result in way more lives lost in the longterm than lives lost from the virus in the short term. The World Health Organization may have lied to us about the masks to prevent hoarding (not that it helped much), so even they may have had good intentions by downplaying the need. It's important to point out where we made mistakes so we can learn from them. But this constant blaming and hatred of one an other is exactly what's making this crisis way worse than it needs to be.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

tater_salad posted:

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

Folding at home has presented results with it's 'brute Force'

Well they've listed 200+ published articles there. So they've definitely turned a lot of data into a lot of words. Which either proves they're accomplishing something or they're very accomplished grifters. I guess we'll both see what we want to see.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Well they've listed 200+ published articles there. So they've definitely turned a lot of data into a lot of words. Which either proves they're accomplishing something or they're very accomplished grifters. I guess we'll both see what we want to see.

I'm contributing my gaming pc to folding@home. When I first heard about them I was worried they were bitcoin miners in disguise, but all the research I've done into them seems to be positive so I'm fairly certain they're legit. Whether or not they find a cure is yet to be seen. But it feels good to contribute in any way I can.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

milkrun posted:

still possible that the virus was isolated from an animal in that lab and then accidentally released.

while such things have happened in the past so it can't be ruled out entirely, you can't prove it one way or the other unless some amazing evidence comes to light so i am happy to stick with occam's razor for now

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

Newsflash: Dr. Fauci, the social distancing guy, is Trump's primary advisor for this crisis. So unless you're saying that the Democrats are against Social Distancing, and the Republicans are for it, they're not exactly on opposite sides of this issue.

Fauci has served, like, the last 6 presidents or so. What he advises has nothing to do with republicans or democrats.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm not quoting your poo poo, gently caress off with your both sides garbage.

You blame the people responsible for the bad things and maybe you'll have less incompetency in the future. BUT BUT BUT BOTH SIDES no gently caress you one side shoulders almost all the blame and you loving know it. We all do. It's the republicans, it's Trump. Don't like it? Tough poo poo. Don't like people mentioning it? Tough poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's better than listening to space for aliens... And Better than buttcon

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Telemaze posted:

Fauci has served, like, the last 6 presidents or so. What he advises has nothing to do with republicans or democrats.

Which is exactly my point. There is no "Republicans are against social distancing and Democrats are for it".

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Telemaze posted:

i think that is his point

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can't wait to see the uptick in a few weeks in Wisconsin because of this.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/04/wisconsin-republicans-reject-tuesday-primary-delay-164911

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Relayer posted:

Maybe like, get back to hating our idiot president after people aren't burying their loved ones way too early. Horrible tragedies *can* be a good avenue for party line-towing but maybe not right now.

I believe we can manage to think multiple things at the same time, and the president of the country most of us live in is SOMEWHAT RELEVANT to the discussion

CarpenterWalrus posted:

We have a whole subforum for lazy-rear end conspiracy theories like this. Why don't you post a new conspiracy thread instead of making GBS threads up the conversation every few hours?

You're a real ahole but I'm pretty sure you're mixing me up with someone else. Regardless the origin of the coronavirus is something I, and other people, are interested in. I stated all along that the wet markets were probably the source, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Also looking back at your posts in this thread you've contributed exactly nothing except really loving lame one liners so... get your own house in order friend

QuarkJets posted:

And as we all know, this respiratory illness is spread by people splashing piss at each other

There are countless ways you could get the virus inside your body, urine from infected animals definitely one of those

Philthy posted:

Didn't they already say they found the source was from pangolins in Malaysia that were illegally imported into China? They've found the virus in their lungs in the middle of loving nowhere.

I didn't hear that, and I hadn't seen the paper someone just posted as well.

This is the simpler explanation from that paper: basically, it says the virus is so good at entering human cells that it couldn't possibly be lab created:

quote:

Here's why: SARS-CoV-2 is very closely related to the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which fanned across the globe nearly 20 years ago. Scientists have studied how SARS-CoV differs from SARS-CoV-2 — with several key letter changes in the genetic code. Yet in computer simulations, the mutations in SARS-CoV-2 don't seem to work very well at helping the virus bind to human cells. If scientists had deliberately engineered this virus, they wouldn't have chosen mutations that computer models suggest won't work. But it turns out, nature is smarter than scientists, and the novel coronavirus found a way to mutate that was better — and completely different— from anything scientists could have created, the study found.

Another nail in the "escaped from evil lab" theory? The overall molecular structure of this virus is distinct from the known coronaviruses and instead most closely resembles viruses found in bats and pangolins that had been little studied and never known to cause humans any harm.

"If someone were seeking to engineer a new coronavirus as a pathogen, they would have constructed it from the backbone of a virus known to cause illness," according to a statement from Scripps.

Where did the virus come from? The research group came up with two possible scenarios for the origin of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. One scenario follows the origin stories for a few other recent coronaviruses that have wreaked havoc in human populations. In that scenario, we contracted the virus directly from an animal — civets in the case of SARS and camels in the case of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). In the case of SARS-CoV-2, the researchers suggest that animal was a bat, which transmitted the virus to another intermediate animal (possibly a pangolin, some scientists have said) that brought the virus to humans.

In that possible scenario, the genetic features that make the new coronavirus so effective at infecting human cells (its pathogenic powers) would have been in place before hopping to humans.

In the other scenario, those pathogenic features would have evolved only after the virus jumped from its animal host to humans. Some coronaviruses that originated in pangolins have a "hook structure" (that receptor binding domain) similar to that of SARS-CoV-2. In that way, a pangolin either directly or indirectly passed its virus onto a human host. Then, once inside a human host, the virus could have evolved to have its other stealth feature — the cleavage site that lets it easily break into human cells. Once it developed that capacity, the researchers said, the coronavirus would be even more capable of spreading between people.

All of this technical detail could help scientists forecast the future of this pandemic. If the virus did enter human cells in a pathogenic form, that raises the probability of future outbreaks. The virus could still be circulating in the animal population and might again jump to humans, ready to cause an outbreak. But the chances of such future outbreaks are lower if the virus must first enter the human population and then evolve the pathogenic properties, the researchers said.

So those "pathogenic towers" basically indicate it comes via pangolin and couldn't (?) have even come directly from bats apparently

Mozi posted:

while such things have happened in the past so it can't be ruled out entirely, you can't prove it one way or the other unless some amazing evidence comes to light so i am happy to stick with occam's razor for now

Me too, me too. I really just wanted to explore possibilities but I'm definitely not trying to spread irresponsible or incorrect theories

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

Which is exactly my point. There is no "Republicans are against social distancing and Democrats are for it".

I knooooow I was supporting your point.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Chomp8645 posted:

Aren't you kind of just waiting for the inevitable to happen

isn't this life in general

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

You blame the people responsible for the bad things and maybe you'll have less incompetency in the future. BUT BUT BUT BOTH SIDES no gently caress you one side shoulders almost all the blame and you loving know it. We all do. It's the republicans, it's Trump. Don't like it? Tough poo poo. Don't like people mentioning it? Tough poo poo.

i remember two years you were saying the exact same thing about russiagate lmao

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Unassisted, childbirth has about a 1-2% maternal mortality rate.

A lot of routine stuff is going to become real fatal real quick in a lot of places.

lol

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

You're consumed by the same tribalism and scapegoating just like the Republicans you disdain. It's human nature so I don't blame you either. I hope it helps you pass the time and makes you feel good while we're all quarantined.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Play posted:

There are countless ways you could get the virus inside your body, urine from infected animals definitely one of those

Oh no

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Already tons of standard medical procedures have been delayed, altered, or made completely impossible by the situation at hospitals right now. I feel awful for anyone who has a surgery scheduled or is undergoing chemo or really receiving any other treatment which requires care in a hospital

what have YOU been up to, young man?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mnoba posted:

Bait. Please Duck and Cover talk to me. Maybe I can get you to say something that'll get you banned. Please DO IT.

As a hypothetical I think I'd feel bad if I voted and supported the person who is botching the handling of this crisis. I mean unless you want to suggest Trump is handling this well I'll listen. No? You rather distract from that? Yeah I thought so.

Gianthogweed posted:

But but both sides are bad!

I'm sorry I like to blame people who deserve blame. It's really not my fault that one side has been really loving up compared to the other. You can feel smug all you want how your above all that but guess what that accomplishes? The minority of people having disproportionate power because it's just gosh darn rude to point out that they suck! They suck. Say it often to make sure everyone knows and no one forgets.

Oh yeah and it doesn't have to be about Republicans versus Democrats it's just reality worked out that way. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions if it makes you feel better!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Play posted:

Already tons of standard medical procedures have been delayed, altered, or made completely impossible by the situation at hospitals right now. I feel awful for anyone who has a surgery scheduled or is undergoing chemo or really receiving any other treatment which requires care in a hospital

what have YOU been up to, young man?

That's for me to know and you to be horrified if i told you :twisted:

Not really though but i guess i do more with animal urine than most folks

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
This was Trump's response to the CDC recommending Americans wear cloth masks:

quote:

"I just don't want to wear one myself, it's a recommendation," he said. "Somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful Resolute Desk, the great Resolute Desk, I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know, I don't see it for myself."

I know he's an exceptionally stupid man but holy poo poo. His reason is literally that it won't look cool and presidential enough.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He just hasn’t been shown the right face mask.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

milkrun posted:

still possible that the virus was isolated from an animal in that lab and then accidentally released.

A BSL-4 laboratory and a wet market are as far apart in the standard of caution as it is possible for any two things to be.

What’s more is that collection of viruses is less risky than a random virus generator, i.e. an infected bat, pangolin, or civet.

With a collection of viruses, there is the potential that one of the thousands of viruses you have collected is capable of causing disease in humans.

A live animal is much worse. Viruses are actively reproducing and mutating inside them and trying their hand against humans.

It’s like letting a monkey peck at a keypad to guess your PIN, versus the collection of viruses being like two guys put in their own PINs and if one of them happens to be the same as yours, he’s in.

Philthy posted:

Didn't they already say they found the source was from pangolins in Malaysia that were illegally imported into China? They've found the virus in their lungs in the middle of loving nowhere.

Not quite.

A virus found in a bat remains the closest genetic match to SARS-CoV-2.

These newly discovered pangolin viruses are a better match than any virus previously found in pangolins, and they suggest that bat viruses have been infecting pangolins in places other than Wuhan’s market.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-county-tells-paramedics-to-delay-transporting-cardiac-patients-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The mid-2000's fad of "both sides" political nihilism finally stopped being cool? What's next? You gonna tell me someone like Donald Trump is president too?

Also which one of you is this trying to turn underwear into a face mask? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSlZSOkRIQg (:nws: for goony body and pants making GBS threads)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fabulousity posted:

The mid-2000's fad of "both sides" political nihilism finally stopped being cool? What's next? You gonna tell me someone like Donald Trump is president too?

Also which one of you is this trying to turn underwear into a face mask? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSlZSOkRIQg (:nws: for goony body and pants making GBS threads)

Lmao

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm contributing my gaming pc to folding@home. When I first heard about them I was worried they were bitcoin miners in disguise, but all the research I've done into them seems to be positive so I'm fairly certain they're legit. Whether or not they find a cure is yet to be seen. But it feels good to contribute in any way I can.

From what I've seen, the projects on Folding@Home themselves are being done by researchers from different universities. That is, actual universities, for example Washington University in St. Louis (not to be confused with the University of Washington which is known for some of the hump graphs we see in the news). I used to be a research assistant myself, and I can tell you that universities care about two things that are definitely not buttcoin: writing papers to be published in conferences and journals, and being the first to put their name on something. I know COVID-19 sounds like some pretty nasty stuff, but I would prefer not having something called derpyhooveshentaioxylene being injected into my veins.

Also, whether the Folding@Home effort is meritable depends on the merit of the research groups running each project, not Folding@Home itself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
FAH has been around for like 20 years or more. They're 100% legit and have been doing this forever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

“when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

-Dr Fauci

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird with big dick posted:

“when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

-Dr Fauci

There are people arguing that, when you think about it, three hundred thousand is closer to zero than almost all real numbers, so actually the prediction was correct.

I wish I were joking.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

There are people arguing that, when you think about it, three hundred thousand is closer to zero than almost all real numbers, so actually the prediction was correct.

I wish I were joking.

8 billion is essentially zero by that measure

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

shovelbum posted:

8 billion is essentially zero by that measure

Pretty much. "8 billion is near zero if you compare it to infinity". Are these people cretins? Did they fail high school math? (Rhetorical)

edit: I bet these are the same people playing lottery and imagine they have a chance of winning.

edit 2: I am talking about the people who says that 15k or 50k is a drop in the bucket compared to 8 billion.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 5, 2020

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Blistex posted:

I honestly wonder how big a crowd you would need before the Secret Service just threw their hands up and said, "have at it".

And you will keep wondering, because the aforementioned scenario is fantasy bullshit that will never occur because Americans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the Reddit thread.

For those unfamiliar with Reddit’s UI, most of the hilarious comments are collapsed by default and/or buried deep in comment chains.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gianthogweed posted:

All governors that haven’t issued a stay at home order are republicans and it’s because Trump spent six weeks minimizing the threat of the virus.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

As a matter of fact I AM unfamiliar with Reddit and its hilarious comments and hope never to have to learn to dig through their nested comment feature to find anything!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

100k registered republicans getting un-registered aint gonna change no election results.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

You're consumed by the same tribalism and scapegoating just like the Republicans you disdain.

Except it's not "the tribalism" that's being disdained.

They don't care that republicans are banding together. That's not the problem.
The problem is that the republicans specifically decided "This whole thing is not important, gently caress the people who are telling you it is, everything is fine", then when THAT turned out to be wrong, they capitalized even on themselves being wrong.

People aren't mad that republicans are waving tiny republican flags together, here, homie. They're mad because SPECIFICALLY REPUBLICAN IDEALS ARE KILLING PEOPLE AND THE IDEAS AND INFORMATION THAT REPUBLICANS PROPAGATEDARE CONTINUING TO MAKE THIS WORSE.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I don't understand why the right is trying to kill their base which is mostly olds, fats, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Gianthogweed posted:

Your a dumb rear end, dumb rear end!