Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BERK! FEED ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MikeJF posted:

BERK! FEED ME!

Butterscotch? More like Audrey III

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
The Deadliest Trap

He looks way fatter than he is here. We've got him on a steady diet, but the medication is also a bit funky.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Chili posted:

The Deadliest Trap

He looks way fatter than he is here. We've got him on a steady diet, but the medication is also a bit funky.

what a way to go

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chili posted:

The Deadliest Trap

A buttery trap is always worth the risk

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Butters is the best drat cat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My family is finally starting to get over the loss of our Big Ol' Dog over the holidays, and we're starting to evaluate whether we'll be ready for another dog (or two?) soon.

We have a couple of good local rescues, both of which are always looking for foster families. If we're pretty sure we'll eventually end up adopting permanently, should we avoid fostering?

I've read that people using fostering as a "trial period" annoys some rescues, because they're (in many cases) paying all costs for a dog to live with you during the foster period, when you were really just being noncommittal and wanted the dog all along. I guess in the end the goal is for it to find its "forever home", but I understand.

So I don't know. I'm worried that we'll feel like we're ready, adopt a dog, and discover that we absolutely positively aren't over our last dog enough to interact normally with a new one. Which is why fostering might be a route - but by the same token, we'll probably just fall in love with whatever dog we're hosting.

Any thoughts?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would talk with whatever agencies you planned on talking to about fostering about your feelings on the matter and get a vibe check on them to see what they think is ok, worst case you get a good feeling for things before approaching another one.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah - in most cases the animal still needs fostering with someone, whether that's you or someone else. I don't see why they'd be annoyed at that.

The agency we volunteer for charges an adoption fee to cover food and sterilization. As long as you're paying that fee when you foster fail, I don't see what the problem would be.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My county animal shelter has a 30+ pound cat up for adoption. I am in no position to give him what he needs -- I'm saving up to move while also trying to get my 13 year old orange's thyroid and kidneys tested -- so I hope he finds a home as great as Butterscotch's.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pupdate: sunbeams

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love them....

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wanna take a nap with those big puppies.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My girlfriend's mom lives in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina and now has three cats that she can't take care of because she's a long haul trucker and is gone for most of the time. Her sister stole a bunch of things from her house and abandoned the cats there. None of the local rescues will take them, so we're bringing them back with us to a rescue that might take them. we can't take them because of our situation with our existing pets. I can't be there to help because I'm stuck at work. I'm sad and angry and frustrated. I'm hoping that if we offer to sponsor their care at the rescue or give them a donation or something they would be more willing to take them. I just feel sick that someone would just abandon animals trusted to their care. They were days without anyone in the house I don't even know if they got fed. I guess I'm just posting in rage and frustration because I feel so helpless right now.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

My girlfriend's mom lives in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina and now has three cats that she can't take care of because she's a long haul trucker and is gone for most of the time. Her sister stole a bunch of things from her house and abandoned the cats there. None of the local rescues will take them, so we're bringing them back with us to a rescue that might take them. we can't take them because of our situation with our existing pets. I can't be there to help because I'm stuck at work. I'm sad and angry and frustrated. I'm hoping that if we offer to sponsor their care at the rescue or give them a donation or something they would be more willing to take them. I just feel sick that someone would just abandon animals trusted to their care. They were days without anyone in the house I don't even know if they got fed. I guess I'm just posting in rage and frustration because I feel so helpless right now.

Sorry, friend. It sounds like you're gonna do what you can though, and for that, we all thank you.

In return, had you not come here and posted that you needed some cheering up, I wouldn't have returned with a butterdump.

Enjoy:

And the best:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Butters has 3 faces and they're all hilarious

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh no he's so sad, someone ate all of his food and it totally wasn't him. :(

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Thanks Chili. The cats have been delivered safely, they've been sponsored, and we made a donation. My GF is pretty torn up about it and blames herself for not doing more but I told her that she did what she could and now they have a much better chance.

We saw a pair of Anatolian Pyrenees puppies and that cheered us both up somewhat.

https://i.imgur.com/39Ero50.mp4

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Thanks Chili. The cats have been delivered safely, they've been sponsored, and we made a donation. My GF is pretty torn up about it and blames herself for not doing more but I told her that she did what she could and now they have a much better chance.

We saw a pair of Anatolian Pyrenees puppies and that cheered us both up somewhat.

If it's not too doxxy, would you mind posting the link the to the shelter where you made the donation? I'd be happy to send along a little good will. I'll bet some others might too!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

queserasera posted:

jesus christ those pups

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I managed to snag what's probably the first of many litters of foster kittens here where I live. Kitten season hasn't officially started yet, these guys are just ahead of the game. They're super crazy and my oldest daughter is oftentimes the target of their playful exuberance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FoZvTkevo

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Marchegiana posted:

I managed to snag what's probably the first of many litters of foster kittens here where I live. Kitten season hasn't officially started yet, these guys are just ahead of the game. They're super crazy and my oldest daughter is oftentimes the target of their playful exuberance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FoZvTkevo

Oh man, this makes me miss fostering kitties so badly. Enjoy them!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Happy (almost) First Birthday to Lizzie aka Mizz Lizz! :3:

She is about 10 lbs now and pretty much runs the whole house, including her two big brothers. :3:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Happy birthday Lizzie :3:

Give her a good head pat from me.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Here’s some pics of my special boy Fritz to hopefully brighten your day of self-isolation. He’s a wirehair dachshund and we adopted him 1 year ago. Vet says hes between 7-10 years old. He loves to sleep, cuddle and eat.

Pussy Quipped fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 3, 2020

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

He loves to sleep, cuddle and eat.

Please let Fritz know that he and I are now best friends.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The friend who adopted (Beth)Sheba sent some photos, which I wanted to share.

I'm just quoting my post from last year, when she was literally hiding under a pillow 16+ hours a day, and shaking whenever we got close:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Photos!

"You can't see me! I'm a puddle of darkness."

"Ack!"

The wooden spoon has some treats on it. We haven't yet got to the point where she'll eat in front of us or let us touch her, but she did eat them after I left the room. (So far she only eats a whole bowl of food at night while we're sleeping.)

Also, last night we left the door of the room open so she could explore the apartment. We left a small bowl with some treats on as a test of whether she actually went out. They were gone in the morning!

And here she is now in her perma-home...

The world's biggest snugglepuss.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

And in other updates, here are two kitties we catsat for another foster during February. They were from a semi-feral colony in a barn. They're definitely related, maybe sisters, maybe some other way.

This is Plum:

And this is Peach:

Sometimes they'd be really cute and snuggly together:

But Peach tended to want that more than Plum, sometimes with negative outcomes:

They were really adorable, though. Apparently the foster org seemed to think they might be unadoptable, and need to be sent to a barn, but I think they've made a ton of progress, both with their foster and with us. They were cuddly, played a lot, and even came and slept on our bed a few times.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hello peach and plum :3:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:siren: I just found 3 new kittens in my backyard. :siren:

They were pretty well hidden in a thick patch of ground-cover jasmine ivy. They were also soaking wet, as it just rained a ton at my house.

I can’t tell if they’re abandoned or not. One of the feral cats living at my house (interestingly, the only one that lets us pet them) has been holing up in a box in our garage watching over a new litter of kittens for about a week now. I haven’t gotten a close look at those kittens, and I don’t know whether these 3 are from that litter.

They’re sitting in a box on a bunch of towels and a heating pad right now. The heating pad is the pale blue thing under the white towel in the photos below.

Questions:
1. How hot should the heating pad be? I forgot.
2. How many towels should be between the heating pad and the kittens?
3. How do I know if these kittens are abandoned or not?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
They should be warm. Off the top of my head it's 105 but you might want to double check that.

Just make sure they are comfortable as best you can.

As far as knowing whether they are abandoned I'd stake out where you found em

But most important is food since you have them already

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I cannot tell if I am feeding these kittens properly.

Right now I’m feeding them milk replacer formula I got at my local vet. It’s all I have until PetSmart opens in 7 hours. Two of them keep refusing to let me get the feeding syringe into their mouths, which is making me wonder how much food they’re actually getting, or if there’s something wrong with what I’m feeding them or how I feed it to them. I do not have a bottle, or any nipples to put on the syringes. I checked PetSmart.com and the the store in my area doesn’t appear to sell them.

I also can’t tell if I’m burping or poop-wiping them right.

Please help, I’m scared.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 23, 2020

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just a syringe is fine. just keep at it.

heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dH0uyboY2U

heres a video on wiping and helping them with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKFqz-dpVc

its super stressful and its ok to be nervous

all you can do is your best

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Thanks!

It looks like a couple of them have finally figured out the suckling thing. The calico one still doesn’t want to do it, so I’m kinda getting it into her mouth whenever she opens it to meow, which I’m not happy about but it seems to be going in at least 90% this way. I’m really hoping I’m not harming her too much by doing this, and that she figures out what’s going on soon.

I’m still not sure if I’m doing the burping thing right (I’m loving sleepy and haven’t checked those Youtube videos just yet, but I will!). The wiping seems to be going okay though; one of them actually pooped, and I didn’t even gag or dry-heave at all! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m still not sure if I’m doing the burping thing right (I’m loving sleepy and haven’t checked those Youtube videos just yet, but I will!). The wiping seems to be going okay though; one of them actually pooped, and I didn’t even gag or dry-heave at all! :D

As someone with a super strong gag reflex: whoa. Congratulations!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well the two gray kittens are suckling like champs. The calico one seems to be getting the hang of it too, but she only ever wants about half a syringe-full of food (which is 1.5oz; the syringes hold 3oz each), after which she starts squirming away from it. As of 30 minutes ago she weighs about 3.7oz; the other two weigh 3.85oz and 4.3oz and each take a full 3oz of food with no fuss. I’m feeding them all about once every 2.5 to 3 hours.

Should I only give the calico kitten as much food as she wants and then stop, or do I need to give her the full 3oz? I’m worried that 1.5oz isn’t enough for her per feeding.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Feed them as much as they'll take. They are babies. Every 2 hours or so. Don't force it but as much as they'll handle

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sneakyfrog posted:

Feed them as much as they'll take. They are babies. Every 2 hours or so. Don't force it but as much as they'll handle

Sooo give her as much or as little as she wants until she starts avoiding the syringe, and don’t try to force her to take more?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Calico has finally figured out how the feeding syringe works and is sucking them dry like a boss. :3:

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I just started using a new pre-mixed formula from PetSmart that maybe tastes less nasty than the powder I got at the vet.

All three kittens are now drinking 4oz of formula instead of 3. They also want to snuggle with my hand at every opportunity.