Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i noticed the schedule is booked up through at least june so didn't want to be too thirsty, but i will take next available for sure

we've got you on the schedule for august 7

holler at me with whatever your current affiliations and poo poo are these days

relative_q fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i love you, thanks so much

i uh am just a dude in a shed right now. i'll come up with something and will let you know

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

jonny 290 (dude in a shed, ar)

Jonny 290 posted:

oh i love you, thanks so much

i uh am just a dude in a shed right now. i'll come up with something and will let you know

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
idk if anybody has posted this yet but ableton has reset their trial and extended it to 90 days.

Time to see if I can finally grok the workflow

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

a neurotic ai posted:

idk if anybody has posted this yet but ableton has reset their trial and extended it to 90 days.

Time to see if I can finally grok the workflow

ableton is the poo poo and has been my weapon of choice for many moons now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got live lite 3 times, 2 with novation products and one with native instruments lol

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

relative_q posted:

ableton is the poo poo and has been my weapon of choice for many moons now
what is it you like about it? I've only ever really used Logic, which I really like, but kinda like the idea of using something different

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

what is it you like about it? I've only ever really used Logic, which I really like, but kinda like the idea of using something different

for me the session view combined with ableton push is what makes it an insanely good jamming tool - i record loops, layer loops, fade them out, mess around with my hardware (but record the MIDI in clips/arrangement)

and later when i finish the session i come back to it and edit and cut and mix everything into what resembles an actual track, not 30 minutes of the same loop that got recorded because i got sidetracked in yospos

it's basically the duality of session view (grid of midi-audio clips) vs arrangement (a horizontal scrolling "traditional DAW")

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Penisface posted:

for me the session view combined with ableton push is what makes it an insanely good jamming tool - i record loops, layer loops, fade them out, mess around with my hardware (but record the MIDI in clips/arrangement)

and later when i finish the session i come back to it and edit and cut and mix everything into what resembles an actual track, not 30 minutes of the same loop that got recorded because i got sidetracked in yospos
gahhh push looks perfect for modular jams but I know I'll just end up with a bunch of stuff 'trapped' on the push that I'll never get off of it. Is Ableton by itself decent enough for the same thing? Or are you kinda stuck with just recording an hour of multitrack audio you have to chop up later (which is exactly what I do in logic)

fwiw I don't do anything with midi on the modular but the ES-9 I got lets you send 16 gates/CVs from your DAW or whatever, not tried it yet though.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 4, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ableton is insanely flexible but you have to pick a side. i never had any luck trying to hop between its more DAW-ish multitrack mode and clip view.

for what its worth ableton and its looper plugin is what i used for my live pa bass guitar project a while back. it worked v well for that

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

gahhh push looks perfect for modular jams but I know I'll just end up with a bunch of stuff 'trapped' on the push that I'll never get off of it. Is Ableton by itself decent enough for the same thing? Or are you kinda stuck with just recording an hour of multitrack audio you have to chop up later (which is exactly what I do in logic)

fwiw I don't do anything with midi on the modular but the ES-9 I got lets you send 16 gates/CVs from your DAW or whatever, not tried it yet though.

push is just a specialized controller for Live. there is nothing "on" the push. basically a fancy keyboard

everything is kept in the Live project. when i am cutting and editing a finished jam the push usually is not even switched on - i use it only to be able to trigger and record clips without staring at a laptop screen

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ableton is insanely flexible but you have to pick a side. i never had any luck trying to hop between its more DAW-ish multitrack mode and clip view.

for what its worth ableton and its looper plugin is what i used for my live pa bass guitar project a while back. it worked v well for that

i have never used the looper plugin, basically the whole session view is a huge multitrack looper for me and i love it

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Penisface posted:

push is just a specialized controller for Live. there is nothing "on" the push. basically a fancy keyboard

everything is kept in the Live project. when i am cutting and editing a finished jam the push usually is not even switched on - i use it only to be able to trigger and record clips without staring at a laptop screen
Oh right, I just watched the vid on the Ableton site and it looked like the Push was also doing all the sampling and like a little mini-DAW

I may as well give it a go if it's free!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

Oh right, I just watched the vid on the Ableton site and it looked like the Push was also doing all the sampling and like a little mini-DAW

I may as well give it a go if it's free!

i got a used push version 1 (the 2 is more fancy and more expensive) and it is extremely needs suiting

i also spent like one full year programming my own control surface scripts and even soldering together a doepfer pocket control kit, and in the end i realised that i came here to make music, not make tools and got the push

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

fwiw, my affinity for ableton is probably related to me coming up through the tracker scene and spending ages using buzz, which has a pretty similar method of arrangement.

however, ableton and an apc40 is THE poo poo, and has been my weapon of choice for a very long time. you write out the clips, then use the apc to jam out your arrangements. unfortunately, i don't think the apc is manufactured anymore, but its replacement is the push, which i don't have any firsthand experience with so i can't say anything good or bad about it other than the pictures i've seen of it have PRETTY LIGHTS

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoNHknEZA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ableton with all the built in ableton plugins is very well integrated which held enourmous appeal when I first started using it, and now it just feels normal to use

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/sat-4-apr/sets

dunno i constantly keep learning new things an cool tricks to do in live. friday i set up pitch followed by scale plugins along with a pure data patch converting note values to cc values, mapping the cc to pitch and now i could change the pitch of all melodies playing on all tracks simultaneously while the scale plugin kept the bad notes out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man I enjoyed

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

I learnt synthesis on Analog and Operator. Looking back, those two synths are quite restrained in their design, which is quite rare for softsynths. sound great too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I upgraded to Live Suite in March. I emailed Ableton last night and woke up to a refund of the difference between what I paid and the current sale price. That's $95, so I'm happy!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.musicradar.com/news/coronavirus-giveaways-the-best-free-software-and-services-for-musicians

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

I upgraded to Live Suite in March. I emailed Ableton last night and woke up to a refund of the difference between what I paid and the current sale price. That's $95, so I'm happy!

thanks for the heads up, finally got to upgrade to 10 suite. been waiting for that sale so long

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FWIW, apparently if you buy through European sellers, Live is waaay cheaper: https://www.thomannmusic.com/ableton_live_10_suite.htm

I am not at all sure that licensing and so on would work out. I am also pretty sure it violates some kind of trade laws, because the page I found that mentioned this said that the reason for the price discrepancy was tariffs, but if you want to do the refund dance or someone else wants to give it a try, there it is :shrug:

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Convoolio posted:

I learnt synthesis on Analog and Operator. Looking back, those two synths are quite restrained in their design, which is quite rare for softsynths. sound great too

lmao i learned synthesis on a yamaha dx7 and an ensoniq esq1

this is why i've always been a glutton for interface punishment

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the dx7 is like the least intuitive device ever sold to humans and I’d wager many famous 80s synth sounds were programmed entirely by accident

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of my absolute white whales is a tx816

eight dx7's in a blade chassis.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was a dx7 monophonic?/

if so... sick

I like FM8 the fm synth plugin. goes to show how much potential fm synthesis has but also how difficult it is to dial in decent sounds among st the haystack of atrocious ones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no

the dx7 was sixteen note polyphonic

that 816 is an entire 80's band in one box

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

one of my absolute white whales is a tx816

eight dx7's in a blade chassis.

yours and mine both, man.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

echinopsis posted:

was a dx7 monophonic?/

if so... sick

I like FM8 the fm synth plugin. goes to show how much potential fm synthesis has but also how difficult it is to dial in decent sounds among st the haystack of atrocious ones

Fm synth tutorials are the monad tutorials of the synth world

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

FM8 is great for figuring out operator relationships because the partial view updates in real time as you edit the matrix, so once you see what self-modulating, chaining modulators etc. actually does to the spectrum it becomes kinda intuitive

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
anybody got any UA gear? what's good/bad from them?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

no

the dx7 was sixteen note polyphonic

wtf and this was the 80s?

Ruffian Price posted:

FM8 is great for figuring out operator relationships because the partial view updates in real time as you edit the matrix, so once you see what self-modulating, chaining modulators etc. actually does to the spectrum it becomes kinda intuitive

kinda, in the sense that looking at a waveform shows you what it will sounds like.....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

wtf and this was the 80s?

yeah and it was $1995

a dx7 adjusted for inflation would be $4700 today

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that yours? jesus christ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah i dont buy synth hardware. computers are better than most old things if you are low on space

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
computers take the fun out of everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbf the best bits of yospos arent really the computers

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i decided to go with a middle of the road solution - get a rack sound module that can play back 16 channels simultaneously and sequence it using ableton live.

this is good because every sound nerd has moved on to vst-s or elektrons or modulars so the old 90s digital romplers you can get for cheap used AND definitely you will find more original sounds from there than downloading yet another IDM pack from the internets

i dont necessarily think computers suck at making sounds, but it is very easy to immediately dial in something you found in a youtube tutorial and never explore your tools and become familiar with them and never develop your own sound

+ being able to push the laptop on the side and interacting directly with the gear (or using ableton push only) will get you a more intimate experience making music.