Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I wonder how many of these are from desperate people with lupus.

In Denmark they took away the right for doctors to prescribe Hydroxychloroquine. It can only be prescribed by a Rheumatologist now, with the exception being clinical trials. There is a legal exemption for medical discretion, so that an ICU doctor with a terminal patient is allowed to use it (although still being required to motivate his answer his decision in front of a medical review board at some point later) as a hail mary.

My wife is also scared she won't be able to renew her prescription for Plaquenil, which greatly reduces her pain from lupus and the rest of her collection of auto-immune illnesses. She was already pressured into lowering her dosage back in January (which as I mentioned previously was super weird, as it was before authorities even recognized that Covid-19 might affect Denmark), when they moved her prescription contact from the GP to the Rheumatologists at the local hospital.

I had a chat with local pharmacy and they said there were no immediate shortages or supply problems - but that they could not rule out supply chain problems in the future. They also said that they'd been selling a lot less lately due to the tightening of restrictions - between the lines they were saying that a some GPs were prescribing it off label, and now that's been stopped, the supplies are pretty deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How's the situation for Lupus folk in Canada?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So far I've dodged the bullet, but now it's hit closer to home. My sister-in-law's mom just died from covid. She was in a nursing home.

What makes this worse is that right now my sister and I are trying to get my Dad into a facility due to his advanced Alzheimer's. He got approved for one place, and was supposed to go in April 1, but two days before they said, "Ehhh... how about May 1? We're on lockdown." We've been taking turns helping to care for him since his 24/7 homecare company bailed with zero notice. So now we have to worry about either giving him the virus, or him getting it from the other people helping and passing it to us.

The only bright spot is that my wife and I both have jobs that are still going, so we're doing fine money wise.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Trump: So, should I take this medication?

Doctors: Honestly, I would not recommend it currently in your condition.

Trump: Ok, but what if we told people I'm taking this medication and it's working great?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

I wonder how many of these are from desperate people with lupus.

xcheopis posted:

And rheumatoid arthritis.

I have a friend with both =( but i guess they are tied together?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Walh Hara posted:

Steven Van Gucht is the head of the committee which decides all Corana related stuff in Belgium. He's been very clear that there's no reason to wear masks in the street (when exercising or not) unless you're sick, in which case you obviously should not be on the streets.

And how do you tell you are sick? Because there is still massive testing shortage, and by the time you have symptoms (if they even come) you've been spreading the virus for a week.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

WaltherFeng posted:

Trump: So, should I take this medication?

Doctors: Honestly, I would not recommend it currently in your condition.

Trump: Ok, but what if we told people I'm taking this medication and it's working great?

This is 100% what is going to happen. He is going to start claiming he's on it and that it's beautiful, it's working great.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

How's the situation for Lupus folk in Canada?

Depends on province and city I imagine. I work in a pharmacy in a medium sized town and we ordered extra Plaquenil the day after Trump opened his dumb mouth as preparation. We still have all those bottles untouched, just our usual patients coming in for it. I could still order more as of Thursday with no warnings of supply issues too. :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

spouse posted:

From a pharmaceuticals distributor I work with: there was a 3000% increase in grey market requests for chloroquine in pharmacies they work with in the last 2 weeks.

People are so loving stupid it hurts.

can you explain "gray market" in this usage? The way I am used to seeing the term used is to describe drugs which neither scheduled nor actually recognized here; the obvious goon example is the benzodiazepine Phenazepam. This would not cover something being acquired from a pharmacy, though -- do you mean off label requests?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Yeah that confused me too, I thought grey market generally meant "through an unapproved distribution chain" like dollar stores buying poo poo in bulk from a surplus auction overseas or buying legal product from retail (often online) in another country for private resale.
It's generally legal because of the first sale doctrine but frowned upon by the original manufacturers

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
grey market just means literally anything that's not the normal process or not explicitly illegal. For pharmaceuticals there're like 500 different ways you can acquire stuff that isn't controlled

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I could be wrong about it being in this thread but someone posted a screenshot of the beginning of a study or paper that said the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin used in combination is not great at treating covid-19

If anyone has a link to the abstract or can tell me which portal they used to access the study/journal then that would be helpful, as I'd like to read it.

This is evidence of nothing. I just want to read the thing.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
A pharmacy buying it from the official distributor sounds like the definition of the normal process to me even if the use is off-label

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cranappleberry posted:

I could be wrong about it being in this thread but someone posted a screenshot of the beginning of a study or paper that said the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin used in combination is not great at treating covid-19

If anyone has a link to the abstract or can tell me which portal they used to access the study/journal then that would be helpful, as I'd like to read it.

it was in here and somewhere in the 4 pages, i believe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cranappleberry posted:

Twitter thread roll saying it was photoshopped evidence and that Dider Raoult is a big charlatan

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1242889208651448322.html

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Thank you.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

I think the US needs this more than Germany. So the germans should probably pipe down on this one.

E: edited for enhanced sensibility.

Ikonoklast fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 5, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Quick medicinal question:
What happens to infected blood outside of the human body?
If the blood is inside of some container, would the antibodies start to fight it, or would the virus completely overwhelm the blood cells?
If it's the first, would injecting this blood back into a body give partial immunity?
I basically have no idea how antibodies work or how they learn, or retain their information. is a certain organ involved? Or a set of them?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Quick medicinal question:
What happens to infected blood outside of the human body?
If the blood is inside of some container, would the antibodies start to fight it, or would the virus completely overwhelm the blood cells?
If it's the first, would injecting this blood back into a body give partial immunity?
I basically have no idea how antibodies work or how they learn, or retain their information. is a certain organ involved? Or a set of them?

It's insanely complicated. Here's a primer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGOcOUBi6s

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ikonoklast posted:

I think the US needs this more than Germany. So the krauts should probably pipe down on this one.

:yikes:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I can trivially fit 4 weeks worth of groceries in a 3'x3'x7' stack and 8 CU SF of fridge space

just how small is this apartment of yours? When we lived in a 550sq ft with 4x4x4 kitchen space we still always had 2-3 weeks of food on hand...

my apartment is at most half the size of your 550sqft apartment. also, i'm p sure my fridge is about 2.7cubic sqft in size.

re: people not taking poo poo seriously enough here, the other day I went out on my balcony to get my mop, and there were people hanging out in the park nearby, which is currently blocked off to public use. not sure how many there were since it was pitch black in the park, but it was more than 3

Condiv fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 5, 2020

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Paradoxish posted:

I'm confident about the stimulus checks because this isn't actually something that's never been done before. Bush did it, and the IRS has direct deposit and mailing information for pretty much everyone. Some people are going to get screwed because their information isn't available, but just dumping money into bank accounts is not nearly on the same level as the additional UI or the small business loans.

How long they take is another matter, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if people start seeing direct deposits roughly on the timetable that the government is suggesting.

This is 13 pages back but literally the worst logic I've ever read on the forums. I'm confident, wouldn't be surprised, roughly on the timetable of you're a loving idiot.

PS there is additional UI to build, and complex infrastructure for anyone that happened to change their primary direct deposit target since they filed taxes in 2018. It's going to get hammered immediately and probably go the route of v1 healthcare.gov right when nobody needs that at all.

Spoiler alert from the field, a small startup is responsible for that system but hey I'm confident I wouldn't be surprised if people start seeing direct deposits critical to family survival roughly on the timeline of Donald Trump ever giving a gently caress about average people how did you make such a dumb loving post? I hope I eat a probation for this, you suck.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Ikonoklast posted:

I think the US needs this more than Germany. So the krauts should probably pipe down on this one.

Just for future reference, is it just the krauts that should pipe down, or also the frogs, wops, spics, beaners and japs? And is it OK to pipe up again, when the bestest, bigliest country in the world is done with shooting itself into the foot it has put in its mouth?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Ikonoklast posted:

I think the US needs this more than Germany. So the germans should probably pipe down on this one.

Last I checked there was also an acute covid-19 epidemic in Germany as well. But if the richest country in the world can't resist pulling cowboy poo poo like this, who am I to judge.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ikonoklast posted:

Is this where Germany then is also expected to prevent Drager from selling ventilators as next step

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is this where Germany then is also expected to prevent Drager from selling ventilators as next step

No, you see American lives are more important than those in other so called countries. Everyone needs to bow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ikonoklast posted:

this is some peak USAposting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Pipe down Germany didn’t you hear we are dealing with a massive international pandemic? Gosh, it’s like they don’t ever think of anyone but themselves.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
As a German I do sort of agree. The situation is more acute in the USA right now. But that's completely due to the mismanagement.

But there are still way to few masks around here. Straight up stealing our stuff is not justified here.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

this is some peak USAposting

Thank you. Im european by the way.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

As a German I do sort of agree. The situation is more acute in the USA right now. But that's completely due to the mismanagement.

But there are still way to few masks around here. Straight up stealing our stuff is not justified here.

Yeah, looking at the numbers right now the US is in more need. I will however admit that my former post was less then aptly put.

Ikonoklast fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 5, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s more of Trump’s so‐called “America First” policy.

Moves like that alienate America from its allies for little or no immediate gain.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Germany should do the same with all ventilators and meds.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

“It didn’t affect me at all but they still gave me $58,000”

A golfer talking about the small business loans.

“I hired my stepsons and pay them $1,500 every two weeks and they give me half back.”

The same guy.

“With my record I’m trying to do this legit.”

His friend.

I hate rich people

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, those masks were going to Berlin's police force when they should really only be going to hospitals

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Americans destroying all their goodwill by completely mishandling anything.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Also, those masks were going to Berlin's police force when they should really only be going to hospitals

the US will probably distribute the pirated masks to pharma sales reps or something and end up totally wasting them anyway

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Lambert posted:

Americans destroying all their goodwill by completely mishandling anything.

What's old is new again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
This probably paves the way for massive wealth redistribution in the US: "The poor need your money more, we're forcefully taking it from you". Good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dude, we ran a black prison out of Thailand post-9/11, not to mention the entire Vietnam War, and a few years ago stole an entire Russian arms dealer out of Thailand against Putin's will. A bunch of German medical masks? That's a layup.